For mine:

AFL:
B: Quaynor, Frampton, Howe
HB: N Daicos, Moore, Maynard
C: J.Daicos, Crisp, Sidebottom
HF: Johnson, McStay, Lipinski
F: Elliott, Mihocek, Ginnivan
FOLL: Cameron, Mitchell, De Goey
INTER: Adams, Pendles, Cox, McCreery, Murphy (5 man interchange)

VFL:
B: Noble, Dean, Ruscoe
HF: Ryan, Kelly, Harrison
C: Draper, Allan, McInnes
HF: Hill, Kreuger, Bianco
F: Richards, Wilson, WHE
FOLL: Begg, Carmichael, Macrae
INTER: Murley

Trying to write out the VFL side underlines the fact that we lack a few talls. Having to play Wilson at FF.

I feel confident that Fly will want to play all of Moore, Murphy and Frampton in the same side - we needed that extra tall defender all year in 2022.
McCreery I think is a must select.

So for me, the hardest call is whether to go tall (Cox) or small (Noble) with the last guy picked.
And the side I've gone with leaves Hill, Kreuger, Noble and WHE all fighting like crazy for a spot. I'd almost consider playing Noble over Adams too.

And then we have a handy young group of Allan, McInnes, Macrae, Draper, Ryan, Richards, Dean, Bianco, Carmichael hopefully all really pushing.

AFL:
B: Quaynor, Dean, Howe
HB: Crisp, Moore, Maynard
C: J.Daicos, Nicky D, Sidebottom
INTER: Adams, Pendles, Cox, McCreery, Hill

Emergencies. Frampton, Kreuger, Richards....

B: Quaynor. Frampton. Howe
HB: Maynard. Moore. Pendlebury
C: JDaicos. Mitchell. NDaicos
HF. Hill. McStay. Checkers
FF: Ginni. Krueger. Elliot

F: Cox. DeGoey Crisp

Int: Lipinski. McReery. Murphy. Sidebottom Adams

For mine:

AFL:
B: Quaynor, Frampton, Howe
HB: N Daicos, Moore, Maynard
C: J.Daicos, Crisp, Sidebottom
INTER: Adams, Pendles, Cox, McCreery, Murphy (5 man interchange)

VFL:
B: Noble, Dean, Ruscoe
HF: Ryan, Kelly, Harrison
C: Draper, Allan, McInnes
HF: Hill, Kreuger, Bianco
F: Richards, Wilson, WHE
FOLL: Begg, Carmichael, Macrae

Trying to write out the VFL side underlines the fact that we lack a few talls. Having to play Wilson at FF.

This is why so many of us were disappointed and frustrated that we didn’t select talls this week, and I know the argument that none were available but your post proves the point.

We’re reliant on VFL talent now but they aren’t going to help the 1’s if we get some injuries to KPP’s.

I’d be hoping we’re looking at another tall as a SSP rather than mid season. Ethan Phillips as a KPD and moving Kelly forward or a mature age KPF should be the target. Hopefully there’s another Jack Hayes type!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue I see in a lot of these teams is Cameron/Cox. Cox is by far the better ruck and needs to start in the ruck. Cameron is your typical fwd/ruck not number 1. Beau needs to be in every side, he’s the monster defensive forward and a tackling beast. So many times last season he came up with the big tackle and defensive effort in the last quarter. Ignore the stats about him and go with what you see.

The issue I see in a lot of these teams is Cameron/Cox. Cox is by far the better ruck and needs to start in the ruck. Cameron is your typical fwd/ruck not number 1. Beau needs to be in every side, he’s the monster defensive forward and a tackling beast. So many times last season he came up with the big tackle and defensive effort in the last quarter. Ignore the stats about him and go with what you see.
Not to mention popping-up for a couple of goals in the PF.

AFL:
B: Quaynor Frampton Howe
HB: Pendlebury Moore Maynard
C: J.Daicos Mitchell N.Daicos
HF: Sidebottom Mihocek Hill
F: Elliott McStay Ginnivan
FOLL: Cameron Crisp De Goey
INTER: Adams Cox McReery Lipinski Noble

VFL:
B: Murphy Dean Ruscoe
HF: Ryan Kelly Wilson
C: Harrison McInnes Allan
HF: Bianco Kreuger Draper
F: Richards Johnson WHE
FOLL: Begg Carmichael Macrae
Only change I’d make. Post 2023 I feel that Adams spot will be in jeopardy and I could currently mount a strong case for Kreuger as the 2nd ruck, but as we stand this feels a good mix.

I still don’t have Dean or Frampton in our best team, hopefully that changes but neither are walk up starts IMHO. Both cheap pick ups, one has never played at the level, one was playing 2nds for a bottom 4 team.

I think both are astute pick ups and could well make us better but considering where we finished last year the spots are there for them to earn first.

Is 5 on the bench confirmed? Thought tactical sub was more likely at this stage?
Yeah it's 22 + tactical sub. Think the AFL deliberately slipped in the announcement hidden amongst the draft.

Howe Frampton Maynard
Quaynor Moore Pendlebury
Jaicos Mitchell Sidebottom
Naicos McStay Ginnivan
Elliott Mihocek McCreery
Cameron De Goey Crisp
Adams Lipinski Noble Krueger

Sub Hoskin-Elliott
Emg Murphy Hill Johnson

Add in Cox and there's 27 that I'd happily have in the 22.

Then hope a couple of Bianco, Carmichael, Macrae, McInnes come on to add to the selection pressure. And maybe 1 or 2 of Dean, Draper, Harrison and the 3 newbies jump out of the box as well.

We got depth!

I might do this slightly differently and do my best 23 based on what I expect then hope it might be by the time we are playing finals and the list has almost another season of development

1 The certainties. If fit are fixed into the 22

Maynard -------- ------------
Quaynor Moore -----------
Sidebottom Mitchell J Daicos
Ginnivan Mihochek Elliott
N Daicos McStay --------

--------- De Goey Crisp

Adams Pendles -------- --------- ------------

2 The very likelies, established but some risk of losing spot or the most obvious to take a spot up for grabs

--------- Dean Howe
--------- --------- Noble
--------- ---------- --------
-------- ---------- ----------
--------- --------- McCreery

Cox -------- ---------

-------- --------- Lipinski Cameron WHE

3. Likely to get games, need to pushing to be best 22/23 (CAPS)by end of 2023 or young blokes I expect to become best 22/23

--------- FRAMPTON --------
MURPHY ---------- --------
Allen McInness BIANCO
-------- KREUGER JOHNSON
HILL --------- RICHARDS

-------- CARMICHAEL ----------

--------- -------- -------- --------- ---------

4. Will struggle to get games and in delist danger

Macrae (2yr contract) Kelly Begg Ruscoe Wilson

5. Young and too early to tell at start of 23 if they will be capable of best 22

Draper, Harrison, Murley, Ryan

Takes the teams 1 and 2 as my best 23. Murphy the unlucky one and will be most obvious replacement for Howe and that may well occur during 23

Players outside that who I really hope and expect can becomes fixtures over the next couple of seasons are Allen, McInnes, Hill, Johnson, Carmichael. The later 3 need to be doing that in 23.

Dean is almost there by default and our 2nd tall back is an area of real weakness if he doesnt come on. Frampton and Kelly I have no real expectation for and Kreuger is perhaps the next most likely if he finds it hard to nail a forward position.

Overall list in good shape but we need to replace a few soon, need better talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might do this slightly differently and do my best 23 based on what I expect then hope it might be by the time we are playing finals and the list has almost another season of development

1 The certainties. If fit are fixed into the 22

Maynard -------- ------------
Quaynor Moore -----------
Sidebottom Mitchell J Daicos
Ginnivan Mihochek Elliott
N Daicos McStay --------

--------- De Goey Crisp

Adams Pendles -------- --------- ------------

2 The very likelies, established but some risk of losing spot or the most obvious to take a spot up for grabs

--------- Dean Howe
--------- --------- Noble
--------- ---------- --------
-------- ---------- ----------
--------- --------- McCreery

Cox -------- ---------

-------- --------- Lipinski Cameron WHE

3. Likely to get games, need to pushing to be best 22/23 (CAPS)by end of 2023 or young blokes I expect to become best 22/23

--------- FRAMPTON --------
MURPHY ---------- --------
Allen McInness BIANCO
-------- KREUGER JOHNSON
HILL --------- RICHARDS

-------- CARMICHAEL ----------

--------- -------- -------- --------- ---------

4. Will struggle to get games and in delist danger

Macrae (2yr contract) Kelly Begg Ruscoe Wilson

5. Young and too early to tell at start of 23 if they will be capable of best 22

Draper, Harrison, Murley, Ryan

Takes the teams 1 and 2 as my best 23. Murphy the unlucky one and will be most obvious replacement for Howe and that may well occur during 23

Players outside that who I really hope and expect can becomes fixtures over the next couple of seasons are Allen, McInnes, Hill, Johnson, Carmichael. The later 3 need to be doing that in 23.

Dean is almost there by default and our 2nd tall back is an area of real weakness if he doesnt come on. Frampton and Kelly I have no real expectation for and Kreuger is perhaps the next most likely if he finds it hard to nail a forward position.

Overall list in good shape but we need to replace a few soon, need better talls.
Not a bad summary of our situation.

Candidates to debut before R5: Richards, Draper, Dean and Harrison. Jakob Ryan may be a sneaky bolter but I think they'll push him through the VFL first so that he's extra ready.

Candidates to play R1 (who have already debuted): Macrae and McInnes.

R1 likely: Mitchell, McStay and Frampton

Too early to tell: Hill.

From the vision and first hand (though limited) training watching, do not be surprised if both Ryan and Richards surprise and become best 22 players this year. Allan needs more time, but Richards is a mature age and is already doing everything right, whilst Ryan is a strapping lad up close, and is also slotting in nicely. Nick Daicos spot on HBF also opening up…

My personal tip for Best 22 by midway thru year - even if not replicated by coaches - is as follows

Noble Frampton Murphy
Quaynor Moore Maynard
J Daicos De Goey Crisp
Adams McStay Elliott
Ginni Mihocek Johnson

Cameron Mitchell N Daicos

Pendles, Cox, Sidebottom, Richards

Emg: Howe, Ryan, Hill, Lipinski

Please do not mention WHE and Howe in our best 23 in 2023.

Even Sidey is on the slippery slope of that decline. But he may have value as a small forward for a 30/40 goal return.

If all these three occupy spots in our best 23 after the midway mark. We are F$&@ked….

And those omitting McCreery show how clueless they are about why we were succeeding last season.

I’d be expecting Hill to be playing come round 1 to release McCreery up the ground. Hopefully on the wing and more on ball.

Just as Nick and possibly Bruz coming out of the defense with some of the newbies taking those roles.

We need more grunt and run. To support the game plan. Just as the height to compete aerially when the ball comes into the forward and defensive lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A lot of you are not including Carmichael. For mine he is best 22 easily , natural footballer who reads the play very well , is where the ball is , that cannot be taught. It’s instinct , his use of the ball by foot is damaging , with his first full pre season at the elite level and miles in his legs. Lookout.

Even Sidey is on the slippery slope of that decline. But he may have value as a small forward for a 30/40 goal return.

If all these three occupy spots in our best 23 after the midway mark. We are F$&@ked….

And those omitting McCreery show clueless they are about why we were succeeding last season.

I’d be expecting Hill to be playing come round 1 to release McCreery up the ground. Hopefully on the wing and more on ball.

Just as Nick and possibly Bruz coming out of the defense with some of the newbies taking those roles.

We need more grunt and run. To support the game plan. Just as the height to compete aerially when the ball comes into the forward and defensive lines.

Funny stuff.
Howe and Steele absolutely in our best team and will need to be for us to challenge.

A lot of you are not including Carmichael. For mine he is best 22 easily , natural footballer who reads the play very well , is where the ball is , that cannot be taught. It’s instinct , his use of the ball by foot is damaging , with his first full pre season at the elite level and miles in his legs. Lookout.
I like him also. But who is he displacing? Adams, Pendles, Mitchell, Sidey…?

And those omitting McCreery show clueless they are about why we were succeeding last season.

Forgot McCreery… prob hits the bench, displacing Richards. Or Adams is injured…
I also don’t see a spot for WHE, and worry for Howe

I think he’ll get there, he’s in the mix not a definite IMHO. A big preseason could be the making of this kid, part of our upside hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back