AFLW 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Also - How bloody hard is it for the AFL to look at local football schedules.

Why in gods name are they playing the AFLw Showdown on the exact same day, at the exact same time as the Adelaide Football Leagues Division 1, 1 reserves, 3 AND 5 womens Grand Finals.

They're your fan base who want to see this game. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Sydneysiders mentioned the same thing - apparently the Swans-Giants derby is on the same day as the AFL Sydney Grand Finals.

So you're ranting about how bad Brisbane's state-of-the-art $100m venue sucks, and yet I'm the hater?

I've always liked Brisbane's players (particularly Harris, Wuetschner and Bates!), and I like their new home ground. There is nothing wrong with Brighton Homes Arena. Right next to a major road--if that's not good enough, it's also right next to a train station. Beautiful weather, not a windy shithole... basically the bizarro-Casey.

A huge reason for the pitiful supporter base of Brisbane's women is the team has been all over the shop for six years. Always been a guessing game for the poor simple Queenslanders to figure out where the next game is. The solution has arrived, no need to muddy the waters with fanciful talk about playing finals at the Gabba.

And uh, as far as the bandwagon thing goes, wow you can't recall even though it's literally what a Lions supporter said about 10 posts ago:
I wasn't ranting.

I laid out some reasons why they'll be poorly attended next year.

Poor location of venue, and infrastructure (that's not the clubs fault). Biggest reason why the club built out there was they land was free.

I'm not sure if you've ever been out there, but that major road is not fit for purpose atm, as I outlined in my previous post.

The train station is newly built, the end of the line, and has no facility for trains to bank up. You catch the train there, it waits 10 minutes, then leaves on it's return journey, then you wait for the next train on the timetable. There won't be any extra services on game day.

And I was having a chuckle at your attempted pot shot at our attendances. We've always been a state that much prefers to play sports than watch sports.

Just because we've had a good team doesn't automatically mean they should be a well supported team. Especially now that they're out at Springfield.

Looking at a map of Melbourne, it would akin to moving Norths AFLW team out to Melton.

Recall! I didn't read it. I mostly scroll past most posts here just to get the notification off my screen.

Yes you are a Brisbane hater.

Last edited:
And uh, as far as the bandwagon thing goes, wow you can't recall even though it's literally what a Lions supporter said about 10 posts ago:
lol I just read the post you are referring to. I wonder if you're even actually aware of what the connotation of a bandwagoner is.

He/She is 100% spot on.

Getting on the Bandwagon means to join or follow something once it is successful or popular. Meaning they suddenly become involved in an activity because it is likely to succeed or it is fashionable.

So showing up for a grand final, without following during the season is very much in Brisbane's dna. We've done it for the A League, Rugby Union, Netball, etc.

I wasn't ranting.

I laid out some reasons why they'll be poorly attended next year.

Poor location of venue, and infrastructure (that's not the clubs fault). Biggest reason why the club built out there was they land was free.

I'm not sure if you've ever been out there, but that major road is not fit for purpose atm, as I outlined in my previous post.

The train station is newly built, the end of the line, and has no facility for trains to bank up. You catch the train there, it waits 10 minutes, then leaves on it's return journey, then you wait for the next train on the timetable. There won't be any extra services on game day.

And I was having a chuckle at your attempted pot shot at our attendances. We've always been a state that much prefers to play sports than watch sports.

Just because we've had a good team doesn't automatically mean they should be a well supported team. Especially now that they're out at Springfield.

Looking at a map of Melbourne, it would akin to moving Norths AFLW team out to Melton.

Recall! I didn't read it. I mostly scroll past most posts here just to get the notification off my screen.

Yes you are a Brisbane hater.
The Lions' attendances will at worst remain the same as the last few seasons, more likely improve, despite no longer playing at those ideally located venues in Carrara, Maroochydore and Burpengary.

lol I just read the post you are referring to.
lol probably do that before responding in the future, it'll significantly reduce your garbage output.

lol I just read the post you are referring to. I wonder if you're even actually aware of what the connotation of a bandwagoner is.

He/She is 100% spot on.

Getting on the Bandwagon means to join or follow something once it is successful or popular. Meaning they suddenly become involved in an activity because it is likely to succeed or it is fashionable.

So showing up for a grand final, without following during the season is very much in Brisbane's dna. We've done it for the A League, Rugby Union, Netball, etc.
Yep, a lions women's grand final at the Gabba would be a certain sell out (especially if it's only $10 a ticket), and 60-70% of the crowd would be going to an aflw game for the first time.

Anyone stating otherwise has no idea how the Brisbane sporting market works.

The Lions' attendances will at worst remain the same as the last few seasons, more likely improve, despite no longer playing at those ideally located venues in Carrara, Maroochydore and Burpengary.

lol probably do that before responding in the future, it'll significantly reduce your garbage output.
Were we at about 1000 per game?

I'll be staggered if we average 1000 per game this season.

Do you have the attendance figures for when the Lions were playing at Wilston Grange for 2 seasons?

That's in the heart of inner North side Brisbane and the chardy crowd, and prime Lions following territory.

"Just because we've had a good team doesn't automatically mean they should be a well supported team... We've always been a state that much prefers to play sports than watch sports."

Not sure that exactly screams 'sold out Gabba grand final'. I think some of you miiiiight just be letting your imagination run a bit too wild.

As for crowds at Hickey Park, they were bigger when Brisbane weren't a top 4 team, so how's that for a supposed bandwagon supporter base.

"Just because we've had a good team doesn't automatically mean they should be a well supported team... We've always been a state that much prefers to play sports than watch sports."

Not sure that exactly screams 'sold out Gabba grand final'. I think some of you miiiiight just be letting your imagination run a bit too wild.

As for crowds at Hickey Park, they were bigger when Brisbane weren't a top 4 team, so how's that for a supposed bandwagon supporter base.
lol, to scared to actually use the quote function, so the person you’re quoting receives a notification.

The answer is in the definition of bandwagon I posted above.

Selling out finals is never a problem if the product is good.

Selling tickets for regular season games is the issue.

I don't know why I'm bothering because I don't rate the current AFLW administration to produce a fair comp but here is my quick review of the ficture:

1689641745570.png

Fixture Difficulty:
  1. Hawthorn very hard considering their last ladder possition.
  2. Most of the Top half have hard draws and the bottom 9 easy which is to be expected.
  3. Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Brisbane to a lesser extent have an easier fixture than others around them.
Away Review:
  1. Colliningwood, Essendon, StKilda and Carlton only travel (interstate or regional) 2 times. With Richmond and Kangaroos 3 times. AFLW trying to maximise attendances?
  2. Brisbane, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and Fremantle travel 5 times. Understandable for interstate, country clubs. A bit harsh on the Western Bulldogs.
  3. Away trips are very difficult for Adelaide and Freemantle. Adelaide for example play 1st, 2nd and 4th away. Given they finished 3rd this is rough.
Free to air TV:
  1. Interstate clubs get no love.
  2. Collingwood, Geelong, Kangaroos and StKilda get looked after.
  3. Melbourne and Adelaide with a high ladder finish don't get a good run

I don't know why I'm bothering because I don't rate the current AFLW administration to produce a fair comp but here is my quick review of the ficture:

View attachment 1742509

Fixture Difficulty:
  2. Most of the Top half have hard draws and the bottom 9 easy which is to be expected.
  3. Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Brisbane to a lesser extent have an easier fixture than others around them.
Away Review:
  1. Colliningwood, Essendon, StKilda and Carlton only travel (interstate or regional) 2 times. With Richmond and Kangaroos 3 times. AFLW trying to maximise attendances?
  2. Brisbane, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and Fremantle travel 5 times. Understandable for interstate, country clubs. A bit harsh on the Western Bulldogs.
  3. Away trips are very difficult for Adelaide and Freemantle. Adelaide for example play 1st, 2nd and 4th away. Given they finished 3rd this is rough.
Free to air TV:
Man how did we end up with such hard away games?

I've created a petition to have Friday night start times changed.
Not a great petition, but someone has to, as the aflw admin have slunk away after the fixture
Why would they start games after 630 and clash with a Friday night men's final, thereby hurting ratings for AFLW.

View attachment 1742509

Fixture Difficulty:
Away Review:
Free to air TV:
Probably wanna get the finishing positions from last season correct first, before assessing fixture difficulty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm an AFLW Hawthorn member but unlikely to get to any games (maybe the Moorabbin or Geelong games) because Hawthorn's home games have all been fixtured at Frankston. It would be close to a four hour round trip (particularly for a 5.00pm start) and I live in Melbourne. It's a horribly unfair system they've come up with. Collingwood get to play their home games (quite rightly btw) at their spiritual home at Vic Park. Carlton get to play at Princes Park. But we get shipped out to Frankston. Geez, we could go back to the 80s and play some home games at Princes Park - in fact, that would be awesome.

Given there was genuine interest amongst Hawthorn supporters in supporting the AFLW, the league is doing it's best to make it as hard as possible for a large percentage of the supporter base NOT to attend games. And that's before I talk about the fixturing.

Geez, we could go back to the 80s and play some home games at Princes Park - in fact, that would be awesome.
That was the original plan put forward in Hawthorn's bid for an AFLW licence. Ultimately the club has chosen to go with Frankston, but I'm not sure they were expecting it to come with a Friday 5pm timeslot.

The league needs to squeeze in an early Friday game from rounds 2 to 4. As mentioned on page 1, those games should be 530pm starts in tiny cities void of real traffic (Hobart, Canberra and then Launceston).

While I'm at it, who in hell's name thought it was a good idea to schedule Hawthorn v Richmond in Cairns?
Again that's Hawthorn's call, just had a preseason camp up there, but once more I'd say they would've thought twice about it if they knew one of their other home games was a Friday 5pmer.

That was the original plan put forward in Hawthorn's bid for an AFLW licence. Ultimately the club has chosen to go with Frankston, but I'm not sure they were expecting it to come with a Friday 5pm timeslot.

The league needs to squeeze in an early Friday game from rounds 2 to 4. As mentioned on page 1, those games should be 530pm starts in tiny cities void of real traffic (Hobart, Canberra and then Launceston).

Again that's Hawthorn's call, just had a preseason camp up there, but once more I'd say they would've thought twice about it if they knew one of their other home games was a Friday 5pmer.
So far we haven't played a single game at Princes Park. I get we got some decent crowds at Frankston but this is a classic case of cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

No games should be played at 5pm on a Friday. Even a Thursday night game would be better than 5pm on a Friday.

Also:
View attachment 1741540
View attachment 1741541
One of the many reasons why I'm against an August to December season. The whole argument is to get the girls out of the heat but the girls will now be playing during the hottest time of the year for the biggest game of them all and on top of that, (KP aside) none of the proper venues will be used due to cricket, an actual summer sport.

If we earn the right to host again, instead of getting 35000+ at the Gabba (let's be honest, we would, Brisbane people are nortorious bandwagoners), we'd get less than 8000 at Michael Voss oval. I reckon West Coast and/or Fremantle would get over 40000 at Perth Stadium.
Henson Park for a GF is a ******* joke.... good thing both teams are potatoes. Hopefully that would change if/when either gets good. Sydney people are also notorious bandwagoners for AFL and would certainly turn up to an Olympic Park or Moore Park proper stadium game.

Henson Park for a GF is a ******* joke.... good thing both teams are potatoes. Hopefully that would change if/when either gets good. Sydney people are also notorious bandwagoners for AFL and would certainly turn up to an Olympic Park or Moore Park proper stadium game.
If the grand final is ever a dream matchup, such as involving Collingwood or it's Ess v Rich / Adel v PA / Frem v WCE, you can assume the AFL will quietly work behind the scenes to move it to a bigger venue.

And should they try but fail, then they'll just say "we already said it'll be at Ikon/Norwood/Henson etc.", too late to change it now.

While we wait for the fixture to drop (maybe this week...), note the fixture for the penultimate round of the men's season (R23, 18-20 August):

Fri 7.50pm: Collingwood vs Brisbane (Marvel Stadium)
Sat 1.45pm: Richmond v North Melb. (MCG)
Sat 2.10pm: Gold Coast v Carlton (Heritage Bank Stadium)
Sat 4.35pm: GWS Giants v Essendon (Giants Stadium)
Sat 7.25pm: St Kilda v Geelong (Marvel Stadium)
Sat 7.10pm: Adelaide v Sydney (Adelaide Oval)
Sun 1.10pm: W. Bulldogs v West Coast (Marvel Stadium)
Sun 3.20pm: Melbourne v Hawthorn (MCG)
Sun 2.40pm: Fremantle v Port Adelaide (Optus Stadium)
Local times

One might fully expect that all to align with the women's official practice matches, as was the case last season. And if so, half-expect the Rich-NM and Melb-Haw praccies to be played as curtain-raisers at the MCG.
But no, looks like the official practice matches won't be aligned to the penultimate round of the men's season, based on Brisbane's announcement:
practice match against the Gold Coast SUNS will take place at 10:35am Saturday 19 August at Brighton Homes Arena.

However, their unofficial practice match does somewhat mirror the men's fixture:
the Brisbane Lions will take on three-time Premiers, Adelaide Crows in a match simulation at Brighton Homes Arena, Saturday 12 August at 2:00pm.
In the AFL, Brisbane play Adelaide at 4.35pm on the same day, at the Gabba.

Same goes for Richmond, and you would therefore think everybody else:

Richmond v St Kilda: Match Simulation
Friday, August 11
RSEA Park
4:30pm

Richmond v GWS: Official Practice Match
Friday, August 18
Blacktown International Sports Complex
4:05pm

I'd have no doubt about that if Frem/WCE, Adel/PA and Syd/GWS weren't playing each other Round 1. EDIT: Oh and the fact that Richmond's official practice match is against GWS... although that article I linked to is now an empty page, so idk.

Last edited:
Week One - Match Simulation Training (same pairings as rd22 in the afl)
Friday, August 11
St Kilda v Richmond at RSEA Park, 4:30pm AEST

Saturday, August 12
Essendon v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos at Windy Hill, 10am AEST
Gold Coast v Sydney at Heritage Bank Stadium, 10am AEST
Port Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney at Alberton Oval, 10am ACST
West Coast v Fremantle at Mineral Resources Park, 9:30am AWST
Carlton v Melbourne at IKON Park, 12pm AEST
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs at Kinetic Stadium, 1pm AEST
Brisbane v Adelaide at Brighton Homes Arena, 2pm AEST
Collingwood v Geelong at Victoria Park, 3pm AEST

Week Two - Practice Matches
Friday, August 18
Greater Western Sydney v Richmond at Blacktown International Sports Park, 4:05pm AEST
Port Adelaide v St Kilda at Alberton Oval, 7:10pm ACST

Saturday, Aug 19
Brisbane v Gold Coast at Brighton Homes Arena, 10:35am AEST
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos at Arden Street, 12:05pm AEST
Fremantle v Collingwood at Victor George Kailis Oval, 11:05am AWST
Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, 1:05pm AEST
Melbourne v Hawthorn at Casey Fields, 2:05pm AEST
Adelaide v Geelong at Adelaide Oval, 4:10pm ACST

Sunday, August 20
West Coast v Essendon at Mineral Resources Park, 12:35pm AWST

Week One - Match Simulation Training (same pairings as rd22 in the afl)
Friday, August 11
St Kilda v Richmond at RSEA Park, 4:30pm AEST

Saturday, August 12
Essendon v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos at Windy Hill, 10am AEST
Gold Coast v Sydney at Heritage Bank Stadium, 10am AEST
Port Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney at Alberton Oval, 10am ACST
West Coast v Fremantle at Mineral Resources Park, 9:30am AWST
Carlton v Melbourne at IKON Park, 12pm AEST
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs at Kinetic Stadium, 1pm AEST
Brisbane v Adelaide at Brighton Homes Arena, 2pm AEST
Collingwood v Geelong at Victoria Park, 3pm AEST

Week Two - Practice Matches
Friday, August 18
Greater Western Sydney v Richmond at Blacktown International Sports Park, 4:05pm AEST
Port Adelaide v St Kilda at Alberton Oval, 7:10pm ACST

Saturday, Aug 19
Brisbane v Gold Coast at Brighton Homes Arena, 10:35am AEST
Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos at Arden Street, 12:05pm AEST
Fremantle v Collingwood at Victor George Kailis Oval, 11:05am AWST
Sydney v Carlton at the SCG, 1:05pm AEST
Melbourne v Hawthorn at Casey Fields, 2:05pm AEST
Adelaide v Geelong at Adelaide Oval, 4:10pm ACST

Sunday, August 20
West Coast v Essendon at Mineral Resources Park, 12:35pm AWST
I get why but annoying they aren’t playing them as double headers again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back