W. Bulldogs vs Collingwood at Whitten Oval – not meeting
Collingwood vs Brisbane in VIC ❌
Geelong vs Gold Coast in VIC – not meeting
West Coast vs GWS Giants in WA ❌
W. Bulldogs vs West Coast in VIC ❌
Fremantle vs North Melb. in WA ✅
Fremantle vs W. Bulldogs in WA – not meeting
Gold Coast vs Fremantle in QLD – not meeting

Richmond vs Carlton at Punt Road ❌ (albeit Punt Road unavailable)
W. Bulldogs vs North Melb. at Whitten Oval ✅

So the players ended up folding to the afl and not pushing for more than 10 games anymore?
The broadcasters will want certain ratings targets to be met before extending the season, which is fair enough. The games cost money to broadcast and aren't generating positive advertising revenue based on the current figures.

Brisbane is the only team to play all other top 6 teams from last season, but 4 of those are at home. Probably preferable to Adelaide who, although miss out on Collingwood, are the only team in that bracket that has to play Melbourne at Casey.

Of the middle 6, Essendon probably got the best draw and GWS the worst.

Port Adelaide got the hardest draw of the bottom 6 teams, and Sydney obviously got the easiest.

So who got the hardest draws from 1-18 based on last years ladder
Surely the hawks
Finished 16th, but play (end of season ladder from s7)
1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, 17, 18.

That's really rough when it's coupled with the fact that freo and the dogs are 2 of the 3 teams who've been seen to have underperformed for years.
Melbourne is also in a dead timeslot of 5pm on a Friday to ensure any hawk fan who might want to attend cant

No games should be played at 5pm on a Friday. Even a Thursday night game would be better than 5pm on a Friday.

Also:
IMG_20230717_155132.jpg
IMG_20230717_155355.jpg
One of the many reasons why I'm against an August to December season. The whole argument is to get the girls out of the heat but the girls will now be playing during the hottest time of the year for the biggest game of them all and on top of that, (KP aside) none of the proper venues will be used due to cricket, an actual summer sport.

If we earn the right to host again, instead of getting 35000+ at the Gabba (let's be honest, we would, Brisbane people are nortorious bandwagoners), we'd get less than 8000 at Michael Voss oval. I reckon West Coast and/or Fremantle would get over 40000 at Perth Stadium.

Surely the hawks

That's really rough when it's coupled with the fact that freo and the dogs are 2 of the 3 teams who've been seen to have underperformed for years.
Melbourne is also in a dead timeslot of 5pm on a Friday to ensure any hawk fan who might want to attend cant
yeah thats surprisingly similar to ours, ours slightly harder based on adelaide instead of tigers and blues instead of swans but when you consider where you finished vs us you got stiffed

we have 1,2,3,5,7,11,12,13,14,17

I will give the aflw credit for one thing though, at least hosting rights for the Grand Final is earnt on sporting merit, a system which I hope remains that way forever. As a Lions supporter the fact we won the 2021 Grand Final in Adelaide against Adelaide made it even more special.

One question I have in regards to GF hosting.
Is it based on ladder position entering the finals series, or does it get re-seeded throughout.

For example

QF 4 defeats 1, 2 defeats 3
SF as expected
PF 1 defeats 2, 4 defeats 3

Would 4th (who won the matchup vs 1st in QF) host the GF, or would 1st?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this BS is exactly why they never should have moved from the beginning of the year.

Play it in the pre-season - I make all 5 games, (1 would require a little tweaking with work to start/finish 30 minutes earlier) - Now I miss 2 games.

And you lose ground availability as this now clashes with cricket.

In 2021/22 Grand Finals, where it was fully ticketed and one had to pay, Adelaide sold well beyond the capacity of Norwood Oval for both. Even with Covid restrictions in place for crowd quantities/social distance etc.

Go back to the beginning of the year, and let the fans get in.

Also - How bloody hard is it for the AFL to look at local football schedules.

Why in gods name are they playing the AFLw Showdown on the exact same day, at the exact same time as the Adelaide Football Leagues Division 1, 1 reserves, 3 AND 5 womens Grand Finals.

They're your fan base who want to see this game. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I am in stitches over these tales of Brisbane's mythical bandwagon. 3rd most successful team in the comp, 2nd worst supported team. Btw Brighton Homes Arena is the default QLD grand final venue because there's an Ashes series coming up in 2057/58 and the Gabba needs its beauty sleep.

But I'm also confused about the scheduling of the Showdown, i.e. 3rd v 17th from last season. It was such a good match in 2022, can't imagine why the AFL are reluctant to give it Saturday night billing instead of Hawthorn v Essendon. Perhaps if Port kick a goal this time, they'll move it to a twilight slot next year?

Most overdue match-ups
Melbourne v Geelong – joined in 2017 and 2019 respectively, yet to meet
Carlton v West Coast – joined in 2017 and 2020 respectively, yet to meet
Collingwood v Gold Coast – joined in 2017 and 2020 respectively, yet to meet

High priority match-ups for newest teams
Two teams (including one of Ess/Haw/PA/Syd) that finished in the same bracket last season (7th-12th or 13th-18th) but didn't play each other:

Essendon v Fremantle
Essendon v Gold Coast
Essendon v GWS Giants
Essendon v W. Bulldogs

Hawthorn v Carlton

Port Adelaide v GWS Giants

Sydney v Carlton
Sydney v West Coast
Apologies to TW I missed the above post where you already checked these off

Last edited:
Most overdue matchups—venue based

Collingwood vs Carlton at Victoria Park – All 7 meetings have been at Ikon Park.

North Melb. vs Melbourne at Arden Street or in TAS – Have met 6 times: 4 at Casey Fields, 1 at MCG, 1 final at Ikon Park.

Melbourne vs Collingwood at Casey Fields – Have met 5 times: 2 at Victoria Park, 1 at Ikon Park, 1 at Marvel Stadium, 1 in NT.

Carlton vs GWS Giants in VIC – Last 5 meetings have been in NSW/ACT. Haven't met in VIC since 2017.

GWS Giants vs Collingwood in NSW/ACT – All 4 meetings have been in VIC.

More overdue matchups—venue based

W. Bulldogs vs Collingwood at Whitten Oval – Last 4 meetings (but including 1 final) have been at Victoria Park or in Moe/Morwell. Haven't met at Whitten Oval since 2017.

Collingwood vs Brisbane in VIC – Last 4 meetings (but including 2 finals) have been in QLD. Haven't met in VIC since 2021.

Geelong vs Gold Coast in VIC – All 3 meetings have been in QLD.

West Coast vs GWS Giants in WA – All 3 meetings have been in NSW.

W. Bulldogs vs West Coast in VIC – All 3 meetings have been in WA.

Fremantle vs North Melb. in WA – Last 3 meetings have been in VIC/TAS. Haven't met in WA since 2019.

Fremantle vs W. Bulldogs in WA. Last 3 meetings have been in VIC. Haven't met in WA since 2019.

Gold Coast vs Fremantle in QLD. All 3 meetings (but including 1 final) have been in WA.

Richmond vs Carlton at Punt Road. All 3 meetings have been at Ikon Park.

W. Bulldogs vs North Melb. at Whitten Oval. Have met 3 times: 2 in TAS, 1 at Punt Road.
Apologies to TW (again) I missed the above post where you already checked these off

Last edited:
Pre-season dates have never determined the timing of the fixture release.

We are 98 days out from the first game. Number of days in advance that fixtures for previous seasons have been released:

2017 - 58
2018 - 99
2019 - 100
2020 - 102
2021 - 49
22S6 - 37
22S7 - 53

46 days for Season 7 it would seem

Oh and it's highest-ranked team at the end of the H&A season, regarding host of the grand final.

I thought I would check these matchups to see which had been fixtured - 8/11 unless I have miscounted

Melb v Geel = Rd 5
Carl vs WCE = Rd 3
Coll vs GCS = Rd 3

Ess vs Freo = Rd 2
Ess vs GCS = Rd 10
Ess vs GWS = Not scheduled?
Ess vs WB = Not scheduled?

Haw vs Carl = Not scheduled?

Port Adel vs GWS = Rd 10

Sydney vs Carlton = Rd 5
Syndey vs WCE = Rd 4
Looks like our sums match, verification achieved! ✅

Surely the hawks

I was surprised with how easy Hawthorn's season 7 fixture was, I would be surprised if across the 2 seasons our fixture is anywhere but middle of the road.

A harder draw will be a good test and if we end up with more wins and a higher percentage it would signify a big improvement.

I am in stitches over these tales of Brisbane's mythical bandwagon. 3rd most successful team in the comp, 2nd worst supported team. Btw Brighton Homes Arena is the default QLD grand final venue because there's an Ashes series coming up in 2057/58 and the Gabba needs its beauty sleep.

But I'm also confused about the scheduling of the Showdown, i.e. 3rd v 17th from last season. It was such a good match in 2022, can't imagine why the AFL are reluctant to give it Saturday night billing instead of Hawthorn v Essendon. Perhaps if Port kick a goal this time, they'll move it to a twilight slot next year?
You just don't like Brisbane.

Every year it's one pot shot or another.

Can't ever recall anyone talking up Brisbane's AFLW crowds or bandwagon on here. Maybe you're confusing the bandwagon discussions we have on our board about the men's team, and thinking it must apply to women's team as well.

The Lions AFLW games will be lucky to get 500 fans per game this season.

Brisbane crowds are notoriously fickle. Everyone who lives up here understands that. Brisbane fans don't travel. Hardly anyone heads down the highway when the men's team plays Gold Coast at Metricon (mainly because that stadium is in a sh!t location and is painful to get to).

The Lions AFLW team is really going to suffer playing out at BHA. It's very painful to get to, unless you live out in the south western suburbs to begin with. It's going to be HOT. The South Western suburbs/Ipswich are normally 2 to 3 degrees hotter in Spring and Summer than Brisbane (and a couple of degrees colder in Winter).

There's only one highway out to Springfield, and it goes from two lanes to one right where the Springfield off ramp is. Every time I've been out to Springfield, it takes 10 to 20 minutes to drive that last 1km to the off ramp, because of the amount of traffic bottle-necking at the off ramp, or merging to continue on out to Ipswich.

And they're mostly afternoon games. QLD'ers do other sh!t during the day. Take the kids to sport in the morning, shopping/pool/beach in the afternoon. And there's a 5pm Sunday afternoon game, at Springfield ffs. So that's a 7:30pm finish and an hours drive home.

I live in the inner eastern suburbs. It's a 40km+ cross town drive for me. And I'll be considered relatively close to Springfield, compared to much of Brisbane. By contrast, it's a 10-15 minute free bus ride to the Gabba for me to watch the mens team.

Surely the hawks

Yeah wow that's a fair bit harder than Essendon's and definitely seems rough for 16th placed, we've got 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 which seems pretty balanced if slightly on the easier side

You just don't like Brisbane.

Every year it's one pot shot or another.

Can't ever recall anyone talking up Brisbane's AFLW crowds or bandwagon on here. Maybe you're confusing the bandwagon discussions we have on our board about the men's team, and thinking it must apply to women's team as well.

The Lions AFLW games will be lucky to get 500 fans per game this season.

Brisbane crowds are notoriously fickle. Everyone who lives up here understands that. Brisbane fans don't travel. Hardly anyone heads down the highway when the men's team plays Gold Coast at Metricon (mainly because that stadium is in a sh!t location and is painful to get to).

The Lions AFLW team is really going to suffer playing out at BHA. It's very painful to get to, unless you live out in the south western suburbs to begin with. It's going to be HOT. The South Western suburbs/Ipswich are normally 2 to 3 degrees hotter in Spring and Summer than Brisbane (and a couple of degrees colder in Winter).

There's only one highway out to Springfield, and it goes from two lanes to one right where the Springfield off ramp is. Every time I've been out to Springfield, it takes 10 to 20 minutes to drive that last 1km to the off ramp, because of the amount of traffic bottle-necking at the off ramp, or merging to continue on out to Ipswich.

And they're mostly afternoon games. QLD'ers do other sh!t during the day. Take the kids to sport in the morning, shopping/pool/beach in the afternoon. And there's a 5pm Sunday afternoon game, at Springfield ffs. So that's a 7:30pm finish and an hours drive home.

I live in the inner eastern suburbs. It's a 40km+ cross town drive for me. And I'll be considered relatively close to Springfield, compared to much of Brisbane. By contrast, it's a 10-15 minute free bus ride to the Gabba for me to watch the mens team.
So you're ranting about how bad Brisbane's state-of-the-art $100m venue sucks, and yet I'm the hater?

I've always liked Brisbane's players (particularly Harris, Wuetschner and Bates!), and I like their new home ground. There is nothing wrong with Brighton Homes Arena. Right next to a major road--if that's not good enough, it's also right next to a train station. Beautiful weather, not a windy shithole... basically the bizarro-Casey.

A huge reason for the pitiful supporter base of Brisbane's women is the team has been all over the shop for six years. Always been a guessing game for the poor simple Queenslanders to figure out where the next game is. The solution has arrived, no need to muddy the waters with fanciful talk about playing finals at the Gabba.

And uh, as far as the bandwagon thing goes, wow you can't recall even though it's literally what a Lions supporter said about 10 posts ago:
(let's be honest, we would, Brisbane people are nortorious bandwagoners)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back