AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON LENGTH
2024 will be an 11-round H&A season.

WHO GETS SIX HOME GAMES, AND WHO GETS FIVE?
This will be one of those issues. The kind of issue that people complain about a lot as if it's the first time something has happened. But uneven home games aren't a new thing in AFLW. The first 3 seasons were 7 rounds, and 2021 was 9 rounds.

The teams that should get six home games are those who have shown they deserve it based on recent attendance. The clubs that fit into this category are Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney, and Western Bulldogs.

That's 7, and adding Fremantle + West Coast due to the travel factor gets us to the required 9.

TIMESLOTS
These are the timeslots that bring in above average crowds:
  • Friday 6.45pm onwards
  • Saturday after 2.30pm
  • Sunday starts from 2.05pm to 3.05pm
There were only 8 Friday night games, 6 Saturday twilight games, and 6 Saturday night games in 2023. Meanwhile there were 14 early Saturday and 14 early Sunday games, as well as 3 early Friday games (excluding the public holiday) and 6 late Sunday games.

In other words, instead of putting on two games on Saturday 1pm (which end at the exact same time--terrible for TV viewers), it's obvious more matches should be loaded into the slots that people are more likely to attend. For example, have a Sat 7pm and a Sat 7.30pm game... omg, how hard is that to figure out!

And before anybody says "it's got more to do with the clubs"... every club's attendances drop about 50% when playing outside the sweetspot outlined above, and yes that most certainly includes the Swans.

STARTING THE SEASON
Because of the extra round, the question is whether the AFLW season should start a week earlier (i.e. coinciding with the men's final H&A round) or finish a week later (i.e. creating a greater clash with cricket).

The overlap with the men's H&A season is going to happen eventually, so I think they might as well start this year and figure out what works. Here's how I'd do it:
Round 1 (W) / Round 24 (M)

Thursday, 22 August
Norwood: Adel v Geel (W) – 7.30pm
Lathlain: WCE v Syd (W) – 9.30pm

Friday, 23 August
MCG: Mel v Coll (W/M) from 5pm

Saturday, 24 August
Mars: WB v GWS (W/M) from 12pm
SCG: Syd v Adel (M) – 1.30pm
Marvel: Carl v StK (M/W) from 4.30pm
Gabba: BL v Ess (W/M) from 5pm
GMHBA: Geel v WCE (M) – 7.30pm

Sunday, 25 August
MCG: Rich v GC (W/M) from 1pm
UTAS: Haw v NM (M/W) from 1pm
Optus: Frem v PA (W/M) from 2pm
18 games and finite resources means at least 7 double headers with men's games, which is what I've come up with there (including a chance for Brisbane to unfurl their flag in front of a packed Gabba). And why not try the AFLW season opener on Thursday night away from Melbourne.

Also note with the double headers how I've deliberately phrased the scheduling. Don't give separate times for the men's and women's matches, don't imply one is the main event etc, just say "get there at xpm and watch both games, campaigners".

WHAT OF THE MEN'S PRE-FINALS BYE?
Under my proposal, it would coincide with Round 2 of the AFLW season instead. Nothing wrong with that, as long as mistakes of 2023 aren't repeated (such as no Sunday game on in Melbourne, and not having every team play in their home state--unforgivable missed opportunities to exploit supporters who have no game to attend). Here's how I'd do it:
Round 2 (W) / Pre-finals Bye (M)

Friday, 30 August
Ikon: Carl v Ess – 7.30pm

Saturday, 31 August
Arden Street: NM v WB – 1pm
Henson Park: GWS v Syd – 3pm
GMHBA: Geel v StK – 5pm
Springfield: BL v GC – 7pm
Alberton: PA v Adel – 7.30pm

Sunday, 1 September
Casey: Melb v Rich – 1pm
Frankston: Haw v Coll – 3pm
Lathlain: WCE v Frem – 5pm

MEN'S AFL GRAND FINAL WEEKEND
Should be 4 AFLW games in Melbourne on that Friday (none involving non-Vic teams). And I'd get rid of the Saturday game, which is proving to be a nuisance for clubs rather than a great promotional opportunity. Here's how I'd do it:
Round 6 (W) / Grand Final (M)

Thursday, 26 September
GMHBA: Geel v StK – 7.30pm

Friday, 27 September
Ikon: Carl v Rich – 1pm
Windy Hill: Ess v Melb – 3pm
VUWO: WB v Haw – 5pm
Ikon: NM v Coll – 7.30pm
Fremantle: Frem v GWS – 9.30pm

Sunday, 29 September
Henson Park: Syd v PA – 1pm
Norwood: Adel v BL – 3pm
Lathlain: WCE v GC – 5pm

MORE GAMES IN BIGGER STADIUMS?
Let us not waste anymore time on this issue. If the AFL bean counters change their mind, great, but for the time being: just get over it, and accept AFLW games will almost exclusively be played at small suburban venues.

ANYTHING ELSE?
Yes I have much more to say, but I'll leave it at that for now.

All good stuff. I don't like the idea of doubleheaders as a common thing, but one round with lots of doubleheaders would be a nice novelty, and let people try out the idea (and realise they aren't going to want to go to that much footy very often imo)

Good to the see the season expanding, if only by one round, but will the AFL look to increasing team list sizes, especially as the seasons grow past 11-12 rounds.

List size and structure will be reviewed at the AFLW Growth Forums in/around February and May.

The average number of players used per team in 2023 was 28, and the Bulldogs were the only team to use more than 30. So the AFL isn't likely to see a glaring need to immediately add 2 or 3 extra players to each squad, which would cost $2-3m per year (more like $3-4m by 2027).

Furthermore those numbers don't suggest any other party (i.e. the clubs or AFLPA) will be making list sizes the number one issue at aforementioned Growth Forums, which is what it would take in order to propel any change on that front.

The BBL is being pushed back next season (probable start 16/12) so the AFLW can still start the pre-finals bye week, go a week longer and not clash too much with cricket. Reckon the AFL/Ch7 might wait on the test schedule v India to be release before they do the AFLW fixture.

The BBL is being pushed back next season (probable start 16/12) so the AFLW can still start the pre-finals bye week, go a week longer and not clash too much with cricket. Reckon the AFL/Ch7 might wait on the test schedule v India to be release before they do the AFLW fixture.
Still think they will have rd 1 coincide with rd 24.
They will want to have a week up their sleeve for the season after, and are at a stage where they're wanting different forms of exposure

The lack of an NT fixture for Indigenous Round has always bothered me, particularly given MFC's supposed commitment to the area (not just for AFL games, the club also said the AFLW side will "play at TIO Traeger Park until at least 2023" which didn't happen), as well as Gold Coast's.

Now there's talk of the league returning for the first time since 2020, in the form of Ess v Rich. Curiously the article always refers to "Richmond and Essendon".

Today's announcement of starting on the men's bye weekend again doesn't bode well for the other suggestions I've made, unsurprisingly. Therefore December 8 is the likely GF date this year, which is only 5 days later than last year, but obviously it's the 2nd weekend of the month this time.

For those who need reassurance, it is known that the season will be longer than 10 rounds, despite what dipshits like Sarah Black try to monger. Processes have to be followed to officially determine whether the H&A season will be either 11 or 12 rounds.

The bye weekend in the Men's game is August 30 - September 1.
An 11 round season will finish on November 8-10, and four weeks for the finals series ends with a GF on Sunday December 8.

Festival of Footy 2.0? Clubs prepping for three games in two weeks

Festival of Footy 2.0? Clubs prepping for three games in two weeks​

With the AFLW season set to extend to 11 rounds in 2024, some clubs are preparing for some of those matches to be condensed into a shorter timeframe
By Sarah Black
2 hrs ago
fvnQrkg5.jpg

Brisbane players celebrate during the 2023 AFLW Grand Final against North Melbourne at Ikon Park. Picture: AFL Photos

AFLW teams are preparing for the prospect of playing three games in two weeks at a point during the 2024 season.
The AFL recently announced the season start date of August 30, but not the number of weeks of the season nor the date of the Grand Final.
The recently agreed CBA set out the 2024 season would see each team playing 11 games.
But with the season once again starting at the end of August, 11 weeks plus finals, a trade period and draft would see the latter happen a few days before Christmas.
Last year the draft was held seven days before Christmas, and while clubs were comfortable with that arrangement – ensuring draftees have certainty for work and study commitments – any closer would prove difficult.
CPeIQEn7.jpg

Players pose for a photo during the 2023 AFLW Draft on December 18, 2023. Picture: AFL Photo

One option the AFL may potentially look to employ would be a "festival of football" in the weeks around the AFL men's Grand Final, which is Saturday, September 27.
Clubs have not been briefed on the future fixture, but are preparing for a variety of outcomes.
While the CBA mandates certain breaks between AFL matches, it does not for AFLW matches, a key distinction which could pave the way for a condensed fixture.
Over the past two seasons, the AFLW have played a variety of games outside of the traditional weekend structure in Grand Final week – Thursday nights, Friday day games on grounds surrounding the MCG precinct (AIA Centre, Swinburne Centre) and Saturday morning before the men's decider.
Non-Victorian clubs like Sydney, Fremantle and Brisbane have previously used the period as an opportunity to stay in Melbourne for a longer period of time in a quasi-mid-season camp.
The late September period also coincides with the school holidays in Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland, with New South Wales and South Australia starting on September 28.

The AFL's 2023 Annual Report states last H&A season had 4.95m viewers, which is an average of 54,969 per game and obviously a fair way off the magic 100k mark needed this year to trigger 14 rounds next year (instead of 12).

Getting to the 6k average for H&A crowds will be much easier (even though there's a bigger gap to bridge) if the potential for early season double-headers with men's games are fully utilised... although there's no indication that the AFL is particularly interested in doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL's 2023 Annual Report states last H&A season had 4.95m viewers, which is an average of 54,969 per game and obviously a fair way off the magic 100k mark needed this year to trigger 14 rounds next year (instead of 12).

Getting to the 6k average for H&A crowds will be much easier (even though there's a bigger gap to bridge) if the potential for early season double-headers with men's games are fully utilised... although there's no indication that the AFL is particularly interested in doing that.
I wasn't aware they needed to hit 100k to move. Up to 14 round season. Do we know if the AFLW players are doing everything they can to assist with hitting that mark. It's one thing to say we want this we want that.

I wasn't aware they needed to hit 100k to move. Up to 14 round season. Do we know if the AFLW players are doing everything they can to assist with hitting that mark. It's one thing to say we want this we want that.
Uh what exactly did you have in mind?

AFLW players are overwhelmingly upstanding citizens and terrific role models. They agree to be far more accessible to the media than male players (interviews during play, for example). And they are putting out a product which is becoming increasingly compatible with the AFL's tastes (scoring up by 30% last season).

Uh what exactly did you have in mind?

AFLW players are overwhelmingly upstanding citizens and terrific role models. They agree to be far more accessible to the media than male players (interviews during play, for example). And they are putting out a product which is becoming increasingly compatible with the AFL's tastes (scoring up by 30% last season).
Idk I was just asking the question. Going to be a very long time before they hit 100k marker. Without someone fudging the numbers. They probably have to work twice as hard as the men do just because there's little interest.
I wonder does off field personal branding like petraccas cooking tiktoks, Bailey Smith socials, daicos boys joint socials etc bring in eye balls to their games. Is there many women doing the same with personal branding which can garner support to them and their team. Outside of women doing club mandated media polo interviews? With alot of them working during the off season time could be a factor but not that much. I remember Taylor Harris had a YouTube channel once. Im a fan of day in the life content of AFL players from morning routine, travel to training and then taking the dog for a walk. Just watched Toby Greene and Cody Weightman do this on YT. Would be very interesting to see how someone from Geelongs AFLW team prepares away from the club, what they get up to in the off season, hobbies and interests. Then I'd feel some type of for a lack of a better word connection to that player and would then watch a game to see how she does.

Idk I was just asking the question. Going to be a very long time before they hit 100k marker. Without someone fudging the numbers. They probably have to work twice as hard as the men do just because there's little interest.
I wonder does off field personal branding like petraccas cooking tiktoks, Bailey Smith socials, daicos boys joint socials etc bring in eye balls to their games. Is there many women doing the same with personal branding which can garner support to them and their team. Outside of women doing club mandated media polo interviews? With alot of them working during the off season time could be a factor but not that much. I remember Taylor Harris had a YouTube channel once. Im a fan of day in the life content of AFL players from morning routine, travel to training and then taking the dog for a walk. Just watched Toby Greene and Cody Weightman do this on YT. Would be very interesting to see how someone from Geelongs AFLW team prepares away from the club, what they get up to in the off season, hobbies and interests. Then I'd feel some type of for a lack of a better word connection to that player and would then watch a game to see how she does.
I know you were just asking a question. Then I was just asking you to be more specific with that question.

In the time you spent typing that ridiculous response, you could've just looked up several top Geelong AFLW players on social media and would've found plenty of the mind-numbing content you so dearly crave.

I know you were just asking a question. Then I was just asking you to be more specific with that question.

In the time you spent typing that ridiculous response, you could've just looked up several top Geelong AFLW players on social media and would've found plenty of the mind-numbing content you so dearly crave.
😮😮😮 Fairly rude response from you. You've obviously got your back up. For no reason I might add. I'm generally a supporter of the women's game and just want it to succeed. Fair enough....you wanted a specific example and I gave the use of personal branding and how that can translate into support for the player and her team. That's one way to get to 100k. Yeah ok I can look it up I'm sure that every player, like in society has social media. Nothing stajds out nor do you hear anything about it like you do the others. The players can do more. The AFL can do more and so can the broadcaster. Here's another one... Get more AFLW players on the front bar in a casual muck about setting behind the bar. Another way to endear them to the public.

Last edited:
😮😮😮 Fairly rude response from you. You've obviously got your back up. For no reason I might add. I'm generally a supporter of the women's game and just want it to succeed. Fair enough....you wanted a specific example and I gave the use of personal branding and how that can translate into support for the player and her team. That's one way to get to 100k. Yeah ok I can look it up I'm sure that every player, like in society has social media. Nothing stajds out nor do you hear anything about it like you do the others. The players can do more. The AFL can do more and so can the broadcaster. Here's another one... Get more AFLW players on the front bar in a casual muck about setting behind the bar. Another way to endear them to the public.
Nothing about my post was rude. I won't be taking advice on matters of politeness from anybody who engages in the passive-aggressive ritual of thumbing-down posts. And I'm not going to lie and say your suggestions are good when they're actually delusional, out of touch, and reprehensible.

AFLW players make women's football their priority, which can't be said of the AFL or broadcasters. Next.

Nothing about my post was rude. I won't be taking advice on matters of politeness from anybody who engages in the passive-aggressive ritual of thumbing-down posts. And I'm not going to lie and say your suggestions are good when they're actually delusional, out of touch, and reprehensible.

AFLW players make women's football their priority, which can't be said of the AFL or broadcasters. Next.
My 2 suggestions.
1. Players upping their social media game like some prominent AFL players
2. Get their faces on more tv programs away from clubland.
Not sure how that's out of touch and reprehensible. But each to their own I guess.
I guess just focus on their football and get used to 12 Rd seasons is the go. Good contribution

My 2 suggestions.
1. Players upping their social media game like some prominent AFL players
2. Get their faces on more tv programs away from clubland.
Not sure how that's out of touch and reprehensible. But each to their own I guess.
I guess just focus on their football and get used to 12 Rd seasons is the go. Good contribution
The suggestions don't get better just by repeating them.

Out of touch because you're implying a) young women don't use social media enough, and b) AFLW players are turning down opportunities to appear on TV.

Reprehensible because your first instinct is to blame extremely dedicated AFLW players when TV ratings don't meet unrealistic benchmarks set by the AFL.

The suggestions don't get better just by repeating them.

Out of touch because you're implying a) young women don't use social media enough, and b) AFLW players are turning down opportunities to appear on TV.

Reprehensible because your first instinct is to blame extremely dedicated AFLW players when TV ratings don't meet unrealistic benchmarks set by the AFL.
I can see why you hang out on this board by yourself. Stay classy

Moving on. The AFL report notes "fixturing focused on Saturday and Sunday afternoon matches, to build at-game attendance, which did impact viewer numbers with a reduced amount of Saturday night matches."

But, as pointed out earlier in this thread, this approach is flawed because early afternoons aren't just bad for TV, they're also not good for attendance:
These are the timeslots that bring in above average crowds:
  • Friday 6.45pm onwards
  • Saturday after 2.30pm
  • Sunday starts from 2.05pm to 3.05pm
There were only 8 Friday night games, 6 Saturday twilight games, and 6 Saturday night games in 2023. Meanwhile there were 14 early Saturday and 14 early Sunday games, as well as 3 early Friday games (excluding the public holiday) and 6 late Sunday games.

They perpetually have their back up, but they're right in this case. There's girls, clubs and the AFL putting out content, but they can't directly control whether the algorithms and commercial TV programmers deliver it to you. Always worth a conversation about what can be done better but have to start by checking what is done currently.

For more specific suggestions:
The AFL funds and broadcasts two AFLW-specific podcasts that you can also watch as videos on their website (and maybe some other ways) - Credit to the Girls for more serious analysis, and Tagged which is Sarah Hosking and Ruby Schleicher mucking around.
As far as IG, Geelong have an AFLW specific account: Login • Instagram which is not particularly entertaining but can link you to specific players to follow.
Tiktok I know nothing, never had it... Sure some of the younger girls are on there but wouldn't know where to start.

I'm not sure if separate club channels on social media is the better approach, I'd probably prefer to see the Swans running everything through a single twitter and instagram profile rather than the current separate ones. I'm even a bit annoyed we have to have a separate sub-board on the Swans section of bigfooty for it.

Single club, single public facing image, seems the best approach for normalising the womens team with the fanbase as a whole. Looking at the cricket, which is further along the path on this, the Sixers have a single account and it's pretty seamless.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back