AFLW 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

First match with the new rules in force just completed. Started five minutes after the hour, as most games fixtured for the 2023 H&A season do, and finished at 5.55pm with 70 points (10 goals) scored.

So they'd definitely have to shorten the half-time break more in the future in order to further lengthen games (assuming the 2-hour product remains paramount).

GWS kicked 4 goals to 1 in the final quarter, and rested the likes of Parker and Eva forward with great effect, which could be attributable to the new interchange cap. How that plays out for the remainder of the weekend, and how it translates to the season proper, we shall see.

So the men's final to keep an eye on, from an AFLW fixturing standpoint, would be the QF between Brisbane and Port Adelaide.

If Port win the QF, they'll host a PF on (if I had to guess) Sat 23 September at ~4.45pm AEST.

That would be the same day PA women are fixtured to play a home game at 1.05pm AEST against Geelong, which would be moved from Alberton to Adelaide Oval (and back by about an hour) in order to be played as a curtain-raiser to the prelim.

So the men's final to keep an eye on, from an AFLW fixturing standpoint, would be the QF between Brisbane and Port Adelaide.

If Port win the QF, they'll host a PF on (if I had to guess) Sat 23 September at ~4.45pm AEST.

That would be the same day PA women are fixtured to play a home game at 1.05pm AEST against Geelong, which would be moved from Alberton to Adelaide Oval (and back by about an hour) in order to be played as a curtain-raiser to the prelim.
I'd hope to god they dont do any aflw into mens final double headers.

You'd increase the cost to attend by 1000% and potentially lock out fans who care about the womens team and not the men as much.

Or young families (particularly with daughters) who might want to support the womens, but don't have the patience to sit around for 5+ hours.

I'd hope to god they dont do any aflw into mens final double headers.

You'd increase the cost to attend by 1000% and potentially lock out fans who care about the womens team and not the men as much.

Or young families (particularly with daughters) who might want to support the womens, but don't have the patience to sit around for 5+ hours.
Those are reasonable things to consider. None of which apparently mattered last year when the Melb v NM AFLW game was moved to the MCG and played as a curtain-raiser to the Melb v Syd final. So I don't know if it'll be any different this year.

Those are reasonable things to consider. None of which apparently mattered last year when the Melb v NM AFLW game was moved to the MCG and played as a curtain-raiser to the Melb v Syd final. So I don't know if it'll be any different this year.
imo there's nothing wrong with teams choosing to do that when it's their home game. We'll do it in coming years I'm sure

Round 10 fixture will be released next week, if last year is anything to go by.

It should be:

Fri 6pm AEDT: Carl v StK
Fri 7pm AEST: GC v Ess

Sat 12.30pm ACDT: PA v GWS
Sat 12pm AWST: WCE v Adel
Sat 5pm AEDT: WB v NM
Sat 6pm AEST: BL v Melb - Ch7

Sun 1pm AEDT: Geel v Haw - Ch7
Sun 3pm AEDT: Coll v Rich - Ch7
Sun 2pm AWST: Frem v Syd

Every top 8 team wants to be home in bed nice and early on the Sunday night before finals, so the Bombers/Crows/Dees should play no later than Saturday night given the travel involved with their games.

Based on the fixture for the first 9 rounds, it'll be just the one Friday night game--probably GC v Ess to avoid the Mackay heat, while Carl v StK gets played as the second 3pm game. But I prefer no overlap, plus the Blues won't have had a home game under lights otherwise, so I've gone with last year's 2xFri structure.

It should be:

Every top 8 team wants to be home in bed nice and early on the Sunday night before finals, so the Bombers/Crows/Dees should play no later than Saturday night given the travel involved with their games.

Based on the fixture for the first 9 rounds, it'll be just the one Friday night game--probably GC v Ess to avoid the Mackay heat, while Carl v StK gets played as the second 3pm game. But I prefer no overlap, plus the Blues won't have had a home game under lights otherwise, so I've gone with last year's 2xFri structure.
Hoping the Gold Coast v Essendon game is on the Saturday night so I can get there for it! Friday night game will be had for me to fly in

The Lions' attendances will at worst remain the same as the last few seasons, more likely improve
Well said. Brisbane are averaging more than 3000 after 3 games. They need about 400 people in total to turn up to their next 2 games in order to beat last season's home game attendance numbers.

Just because we've had a good team doesn't automatically mean they should be a well supported team. Especially now that they're out at Springfield.
Were we at about 1000 per game?

I'll be staggered if we average 1000 per game this season.
Ok, let's go with staggered rather than another word beginning with "st".

It should be:

Confirmation today that the GC v Ess game will be played on the Friday night. 6.45pm AEST start, meaning it'll be the only game that night, as I expected but hoped otherwise.

Full R10 fixture to be officially announced tomorrow.

Confirmation today that the GC v Ess game will be played on the Friday night. 6.45pm AEST start, meaning it'll be the only game that night, as I expected but hoped otherwise.

Full R10 fixture to be officially announced tomorrow.

Finally - that’ll be helpful for knowing when I need to take time off to attend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that there's a game in SA, and 1 in wa, they could've almost fixtures the entire day without a double up. Instead, they've fixtured it so nearly every game doubles up at least partially
...none of the games are on at the same time, except for Gee-Haw and WCE-Adel which start at 5pm AEDT.

It's one clash, which is the standard fixture this season, unlike 0 clashes last season when they did 2 successive Friday night games per week.

If the results this weekend fall according to the current ladder, I'm thinking week 1 finals will look like this:

Adelaide (2) v North Melb. (3) - Friday night
Melbourne (1) v Essendon (4) - Saturday
Brisbane (5) v St Kilda (8) - Saturday night
Geelong (6) v Sydney (7) - Sunday

Sydney fly back from WA this Sunday after a 5pm AEDT game, so I'd be surprised if they were forced to travel again off a 6-day break against a team coming off a travel-free 8-day break.

If Essendon or Gold Coast finish 4th, I don't think their QF vs 1st will be on Friday night, because that'd give the lower-ranked team a 7-day v 6-day break advantage.

Even after the shambolic semi-final sell out last year for Rich v NM at Punt Road, my cockeyed optimism says Melbourne would be 'encouraged' by the AFL to select Ikon Park as their home venue for a QF against Essendon.

If the results this weekend fall according to the current ladder, I'm thinking week 1 finals will look like this:

Adelaide (2) v North Melb. (3) - Friday night
Melbourne (1) v Essendon (4) - Saturday
Brisbane (5) v St Kilda (8) - Saturday night
Geelong (6) v Sydney (7) - Sunday

Sydney fly back from WA this Sunday after a 5pm AEDT game, so I'd be surprised if they were forced to travel again off a 6-day break against a team coming off a travel-free 8-day break.

If Essendon or Gold Coast finish 4th, I don't think their QF vs 1st will be on Friday night, because that'd give the lower-ranked team a 7-day v 6-day break advantage.

Even after the shambolic semi-final sell out last year for Rich v NM at Punt Road, my cockeyed optimism says Melbourne would be 'encouraged' by the AFL to select Ikon Park as their home venue for a QF against Essendon.
I think you are forgetting the Gold Coast in there in 4th spot. The Suns are favourites to beat Essendon on Friday night.

I think you are forgetting the Gold Coast in there in 4th spot. The Suns are favourites to beat Essendon on Friday night.
Yes I forgot about Gold Coast's chances of finishing 4th in a post where I specifically stated they could finish 4th.

That favouritism might start to change with the news Charlie Rowbottom will miss with an ankle injury!
Was always expected to miss with the injury. No worries. We are not a one girl team. We have other midfielders who are dominating such as Claudia, Alison and Lucy. Still favourites

Might just be 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday... But hopefully it'll be Adelaide at Niamhwood Oval on Friday night--perfect way to kick off the finals series. Yeah they're travelling back from a hot game in Perth, but they rested a bunch of players, and Brisbane would also only get a 6-day break.

Melbourne v North on Saturday arvo at Casey Fields, I assume.

Geelong probably with another Saturday night elimination final.

Gold Coast could potentially slot in between those two to make it three games on the Saturday, but I'm leaning towards that being a Sunday game.

Might just be 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday... But hopefully it'll be Adelaide at Niamhwood Oval on Friday night--perfect way to kick off the finals series. Yeah they're travelling back from a hot game in Perth, but they rested a bunch of players, and Brisbane would also only get a 6-day break.

Melbourne v North on Saturday arvo at Casey Fields, I assume.

Geelong probably with another Saturday night elimination final.

Gold Coast could potentially slot in between those two to make it three games on the Saturday, but I'm leaning towards that being a Sunday game.
The Suns are expecting a Saturday game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back