AFLW 2022 AFLW Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be astounded if an AFLW game started over in Perth at 8pm, no game ever starts that late here and part of the appeal of the competition is for it to be accessible to juniors, which it certainly wouldn’t be in that timeslot.
Me too, in a way. Just not sure what the realistic alternative is.

If the Saturday night week 1 final is in Perth, they could do this:

W - Rich v Ade, 11am AEST
W - Frem v [EDIT: Geel], 1pm AEST
M - EF/QF, 3.20pm AEST
W - PA v WB, 6pm AEST
M - EF/QF, 8pm AEST

...otherwise the night final will presumably start at 7.25pm AEST and push the third AFLW game into a different slot.

Last edited:
Who can guess what we're looking at here:

sydneyaflwgrounds.png

It's the 135m x 155m SCG (in red) engulfing the approximate 105m x 130m North Sydney Oval (with true 50m arcs). And yes I've drawn a slightly stylised version of NSO's boundary line. In reality a couple of the pockets will be a little deeper:

sydneyaflwgrounds3.jpg

...so some sections of the boundary run a bit closer to the fence than depicted, but 105m x 130m is still accurate because of space needed for the benches and interchange gates etc on the north-west side of the ground.

Tiny ground, to cut to the chase without any huge newsflash. Screams either shootout or flood tactics, keeping in mind it still looked too big for Sydney in the academy game v GWS a few months ago. Also consider Henson Park is 115m x 150m (with deep pockets & straight wings), while Punt Road is 125m x 160m (standard oval shape). A real mixed bag of "home" grounds, especially for a new team trying to develop a game plan.

A similar dichotomy is posed for Hawthorn too, playing 2 home games at the familiar Box Hill City Oval (135m x 155m, same as the SCG) and 3 at the landing strip that is Frankston Park's 102m x 170m surface. And given the R2 Friday night fixture, I was sure to check the dimensions of North Port Oval (120m x 150m), which is closer in size to North Hobart Oval's 105m x 150m (where NM are 5-0) than Casey Fields' 135m x 160m (where Melbourne have won their last 13).

PRACTICE MATCH SCHEDULE

Friday 12th August

St Kilda v Brisbane at RSEA Park, 3:30pm AEST

Saturday, 13 August

Adelaide v North Melbourne at Norwood Oval, 10:00am ACST

Essendon v Port Adelaide at The Hangar, 11:00am AEST

Western Bulldogs v Greater Western Sydney at Whitten Oval, 11:30am AEST

Gold Coast v Geelong Cats at Austworld Centre Oval, 1:00pm AEST

Sydney v Collingwood at North Sydney Oval, 2:00pm AEST

Carlton v Melbourne at IKON Park, 3:15pm AEST

Fremantle v West Coast at Optus Stadium, 2:40pm AWST

Sunday, 14 August

Richmond v Hawthorn at Punt Road Oval, 11:00am AEST

Anyone else surprised that the Swans' opening home match isn't at the SCG? It feel like a missed opportunity to pull a decent crowd. The Swans draw heavy support from Teal voter types, so you'd expect some enthusiasm around the women's team. I would have thought something around 15,000 for the opening would be possible with some decent marketing. Perhaps that's optimistic, but it would have good to have found out.

Anyone else surprised that the Swans' opening home match isn't at the SCG? It feel like a missed opportunity to pull a decent crowd. The Swans draw heavy support from Teal voter types, so you'd expect some enthusiasm around the women's team. I would have thought something around 15,000 for the opening would be possible with some decent marketing. Perhaps that's optimistic, but it would have good to have found out.
North Sydney Oval's capacity is around 15,000 is it not... what am I missing?

North Sydney Oval's capacity is around 15,000 is it not... what am I missing?
Fair point. I guess my thinking is that a larger capacity is more likely to draw a larger crowd (if North Sydney holds 15,000, then it's unlikely to draw more than around 12,000). More importantly, the SCG is better (more centrally) located than North Sydney and is the Swans home ground, so will do a better job of capitalising on the buzz surrounding the women's team opening match.

All the practice matches are done and dusted, here's the tale of the tape:

SK 16 - 42 BL Moorabbin
AC 18 - 20 NM Norwood
WB 50 - 51 GWS whitten
GC 16 - 52 Geel @Austworld
SS 26 - 56 Coll @NSO
Ess 56 - 36 PA @Hangar
MFC 86 - 16 Carl @MCG
WC 13 - 19 Freo Freo
Rich 52 - 8 Hawth @MCG

Fair point. I guess my thinking is that a larger capacity is more likely to draw a larger crowd (if North Sydney holds 15,000, then it's unlikely to draw more than around 12,000). More importantly, the SCG is better (more centrally) located than North Sydney and is the Swans home ground, so will do a better job of capitalising on the buzz surrounding the women's team opening match.
I agree the SCG would help draw a bigger crowd (would it make a huge difference, not sure) but, to answer your question, it didn't surprise me at all that they went with the smaller venue.

Rarely does the AFL take its own advice and Dream On with fixturing women's matches (usually they have to be prodded with a stick^^^). Even just 5k at NSO/Port Melbourne/Olympic Park/etc. will still look good on TV, so why take the risk of swinging big and missing.

And in this particular case you can tell that conservative thinking was also present in determining the opponent, because the game would've drawn more interest if it was against Collingwood or GWS... but that would've increased the chances of a bad-optics one-sided affair.

One to keep an eye on, for different reasons, would be R4 between Melbourne and Brisbane on Sunday, 18 September from 4.10pm at Casey Fields.

The Grand Final for the VFL (which Casey are currently 17-0 and the Lions are second on the ladder) is currently scheduled to take place on the same day--a 2.30pm start at Ikon Park.

With the AFL Finals fixture announcement, we should see the Saturday games for R2 announced.

Could the Melbourne v NM game be moved from Port Melbourne to the MCG to make it a genuine DH with the AFL Qualifying Final?

Also, to avoid overlap, how about this for Saturday fixturing?
Richmond v Adelaide- 10am
Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs- 12pm (11:30am SA)
Fremantle v Geelong- 2pm (12pm WA)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will the history books show that there were two AFLW premiers for 2022, the same way there were two Australian tennis Opens in 1977? It would be a shame if all subsequent AFLW seasons were denoted as S7 (Season 7), S8, S9, etc. Or even AFLW VII, AFLW VIII, AFLW IX, etc. If there is going to be a permanent time-of-year change for the AFLW, as there was with the Australian Open, it would be best for a year to be allotted next to each premier instead of Roman numerals or an S with a numeral next to it.

Will the history books show that there were two AFLW premiers for 2022, the same way there were two Australian tennis Opens in 1977? It would be a shame if all subsequent AFLW seasons were denoted as S7 (Season 7), S8, S9, etc. Or even AFLW VII, AFLW VIII, AFLW IX, etc. If there is going to be a permanent time-of-year change for the AFLW, as there was with the Australian Open, it would be best for a year to be allotted next to each premier instead of Roman numerals or an S with a numeral next to it.
Nobody reads books anymore so what does it matter.

But the cup? Now that is important. Just says 2022, no other distinction:

2022cupblank.jpg

And to be clear, we know the picture above isn't the season 6 cup on loan, because Adelaide have had the engraving done on that:
crows2022cup.jpg

I'd bet from next year onwards the "Season x" isn't going to be a thing.

I'm pretty sure I remember them saying they were planning to go with "season 7" and on from now on, including retroactively referring to the first six seasons in that way too.

That would be crap. I don't mind calling it season 7 as it's being played. But in the future when we talk about it, and in the record books, it should be 2022B or similar.
We don't do season numbers or roman numerals. We do years.
Can you imagine looking back at this and talking about season x? It will always be followed with, "What year was that?"
No thanks.

That would be crap. I don't mind calling it season 7 as it's being played. But in the future when we talk about it, and in the record books, it should be 2022B or similar.
We don't do season numbers or roman numerals. We do years.
Can you imagine looking back at this and talking about season x? It will always be followed with, "What year was that?"
No thanks.
100%

2022 winter vs 2022 summer? A bit more meaningful sounding than a 'b' (and avoids the connotations that a > b). Won't fit in record books but at least in conversation...

Expanding on something from the R3 thread:

Collingwood v Essendon on the Friday arvo before the men's GF is a game that should be looked at, in terms of building into a big event. Which can't be done if it's being played at Olympic ******* Park. Set the tradition of having these AFLW teams meet at the MCG every year, let the profile of the two clubs and the opportunity of the public holiday do the rest.

Can't play a women's game at the MCG the day before the last Saturday in September? Says who, and why. I'd like to know.

One to keep an eye on, for different reasons, would be R4 between Melbourne and Brisbane on Sunday, 18 September from 4.10pm at Casey Fields.

The Grand Final for the VFL (which Casey are currently 17-0 and the Lions are second on the ladder) is currently scheduled to take place on the same day--a 2.30pm start at Ikon Park.
VFL Grand Final between Casey and Southport pushed forward to a 12.50pm start but no venue changes, therefore practically impossible for any Dees supporters wanting to attend both that and the AFLW game in full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back