AFLW 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean didn’t the afl releasing the round 1 fixture during a Socceroos Game
They did but claimed it was pre-arranged before the Socceroos knockout match was scheduled, which some people didn't believe because the AFL is known to be loose with the truth from time to time.

At least the men's fixture release was 3 months before the season, whereas the women's season is now much closer than that and would be 6 weeks away when the Womens World Cup begins.

Surprisingly there is no mention of CE Nicole Livingston's performance given all the problems with the AFLW outlined in this article.
Gillon McLachlan is the CEO. Those who think it's Nicole Livingstone's job to make decisions must be the same naive people who think adding 10 teams and 70 games in the space of five seasons was about increasing average viewership and attendance.

Surprisingly there is no mention of CE Nicole Livingston's performance given all the problems with the AFLW outlined in this article.

Nicole Livingstone is (what I've said for years) the "Cardboard Cut-out CEO".

She's solely there for the photo ops and corporate luncheons.

Wow, do you realise how sexist you are being? You don't, do you?

I think you might be uneducated here.

Her appearances are stage managed tightly, and if a journo asks a hard question - like one journo friend told me when at the Brunswick Street Oval presser in 2021 - she's quickly hurried out of there.

I don't want to get too bogged down with examples (as this thread is meant to be about the fixture), but I can now reveal one as certain people have now moved on from Essendon.
-----

It's mid-week, in the middle of April, 2021.

Nicole (and some other AFL staff) are at The Hangar in Tullamarine, doing a tour of the facilities as part of the (what would be soon announced) AFLW licence approval for the remaining four AFL clubs.

On the balcony looking out onto the ground, Nicole asks the Essendon official if the ground is suitable for hosting AFLW matches. The Essendon official says no, and goes on to lists the reasons why (no proper away changerooms at the time, no fixed scoreboard, no spectator facilities like toilets, seats, shade, food stalls, etc).

Then this part of the conversation happens...

Nicole: "You know what? You should host VFLW games here though".

The dumbfounded Essendon official replies "We've played six of our seven games so far this season here"!

Nicole: "Oh, well, I don't follow the VFLW anyway"

This Essendon official told me at this point (it was about a month or two later they spoke to me) that they couldn't believe the AFL's Head of Women's Footy was paying zero attention to the largest state league, one that would be supplying a good percentage of players in the next expansion draft, and of course had Hawthorn and Essendon preparing for their eventual AFLW entry.

The official said the kicker was, they invited Nicole to come back a few days later, Anzac Day Morning (a Sunday) to come and watch the Essendon v Collingwood VFLW match, which would be a Top 4 clash, and a chance to see how Essendon runs their home match day operations.

Nicole's reply "oh, you know, I've been working hard this week, and would rather have the weekend off".

To say the official wasn't impressed with that response from Nicole was an understatement - they were f***ing livid!

Her appearances are stage managed tightly, and if a journo asks a hard question - like one journo friend told me when at the Brunswick Street Oval presser in 2021 - she's quickly hurried out of there.

I don't want to get too bogged down with examples (as this thread is meant to be about the fixture), but I can now reveal one as certain people have now moved on from Essendon.
-----

Nicole (and some other AFL staff) are at The Hangar in Tullamarine, doing a tour of the facilities as part of the (what would be soon announced) AFLW licence approval for the remaining four AFL clubs.

On the balcony looking out onto the ground, Nicole asks the Essendon official if the ground is suitable for hosting AFLW matches. The Essendon official says no, and goes on to lists the reasons why (no proper away changerooms at the time, no fixed scoreboard, no spectator facilities like toilets, seats, shade, food stalls, etc).

The dumbfounded Essendon official replies "We've played six of our seven games so far this season here"!

This Essendon official told me at this point (it was about a month or two later they spoke to me) that they couldn't believe the AFL's Head of Women's Footy was paying zero attention to the largest state league, one that would be supplying a good percentage of players in the next expansion draft, and of course had Hawthorn and Essendon preparing for their eventual AFLW entry.

The official said the kicker was, they invited Nicole to come back a few days later, Anzac Day Morning (a Sunday) to come and watch the Essendon v Collingwood VFLW match, which would be a Top 4 clash, and a chance to see how Essendon runs their home match day operations.

Nicole's reply "oh, you know, I've been working hard this week, and would rather have the weekend off".

To say the official wasn't impressed with that response from Nicole was an understatement - they were f***ing livid!

Her time at Hawthorn was underwhelming at best, and it shocked a few hawks fans that she got the nod for the AFLW.

Football fatigue was definitely a thing last season. Even as a supporter of one of the teams that won a premiership and went deep into the finals in the other season I was starting to get tired of it by the end. Three seasons of football, sometimes overlapping... it was just too much football.
This, I was mentally exhausted from footy by the start of the men's finals. Once we lost to Geelong in the prelim I was effectively done with footy for the year.

Having two seasons in one year is a complete farce and also compromises both premierships won last year.

On another note starting during the men's finals is the worst possible time of the year to start it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-----

The sad thing is even if that isn't true, it still sounds believable considering she thought an August/September start is a good idea and decided to have two seasons in one year.

Note well: The WBBL final will again be on a Saturday, leaving the Sunday vacant for the AFLW grand final which worked well last year (including TV ratings dwarfing the grand finals of all other women's domestic sports).

Likely very little FTA clashes with the WBBL fixture. Ch7's WBBL games are mostly on Friday (including ~3pm starts) and Sunday after 5pm, whereas AFLW will mostly be Saturday nights and early Sunday arvos again.

Having two seasons in one year is a complete farce and also compromises both premierships won last year.

On another note starting during the men's finals is the worst possible time of the year to start it.
Two seasons in one year just gave Brisbane an extra shot at winning the flag, because it meant their wantaway stars didn't have enough time to move to their preferred clubs. Matters not, given that Brisbane were eliminated by Melbourne both times anyway.

-----

I’m personally hoping this is a joke made up.

I’m personally hoping this is a joke made up.
No football background, I'm not sure what people expect. The joke is believing her job is at all related to actually running the league (which somehow people still do), just because the AFL gave her a fancy title.

Compare that to, say, a stalwart of women's footy like Laura Kane who actually does have an important job, and knows 100x more about running programs, clubs and leagues than every cheap shot critic out there.

Two seasons in one year just gave Brisbane an extra shot at winning the flag, because it meant their wantaway stars didn't have enough time to move to their preferred clubs. Matters not, given that Brisbane were eliminated by Melbourne both times anyway.
And winning either of them would have been as compromised as the Broncos 1997 super league premiership.

Can't award two flags in one year, simple as that.

And winning either of them would have been as compromised as the Broncos 1997 super league premiership.

Can't award two flags in one year, simple as that.
Yes, extremely simple. Intelligent, meaningful, relevant? No. But simple, absolutely.

I don't know anything about the 1997 super league premiership... Cricket is my other staple, and I seem to recall a Brisbane team winning two WBBL titles in one year, so it's good to know they don't count!

Does anyone know when the fixture will be released?

Yes, extremely simple. Intelligent, meaningful, relevant? No. But simple, absolutely.

I don't know anything about the 1997 super league premiership... Cricket is my other staple, and I seem to recall a Brisbane team winning two WBBL titles in one year, so it's good to know they don't count!
Ask any rugby league fan that's not a Broncos fan (and I go for the Broncos in the NRL) fan what they of the Broncos 1997 premiership and majority will say it's compromised because there were two premiers that year.

Cricket in this country runs on a financial year basis rather than a calendar year, so it's not the same as the AFL or rugby league having two seasons in the same calendar year (and I don't go for the heat either, I find their existence an absolute abomination on my hometown and Queensland cricket in general).

FWIW if the AFL decided to have two seasons in one year in 2021 instead of 2022, I would have been absolutely fuming. The only reason why I'm calm about last year's debacle in hindsight is because we didn't win either of those premierships, and therefore none of the premierships we won were compromised.

Ask any rugby league fan that's not a Broncos fan (and I go for the Broncos in the NRL) fan what they of the Broncos 1997 premiership and majority will say it's compromised because there were two premiers that year.

Cricket in this country runs on a financial year basis rather than a calendar year, so it's not the same as the AFL or rugby league having two seasons in the same calendar year (and I don't go for the heat either, I find their existence an absolute abomination on my hometown and Queensland cricket in general).

FWIW if the AFL decided to have two seasons in one year in 2021 instead of 2022, I would have been absolutely fuming. The only reason why I'm calm about last year's debacle in hindsight is because we didn't win either of those premierships, and therefore none of the premierships we won were compromised.
Wow that's weird. Supporters putting asterisks next to other club's premierships? Must just be a rugby league thing, not like it happens for every single V/AFL/W flag ever. For example:

The AFL broke the rules to let Brisbane sign Courtney Hodder. Then a soft fixture gifted them an extra week's rest pre-finals, fuelling a narrow prelim win over a fatigued Collingwood. Then got to play an injury-plagued Crows (having lost to them earlier in the season before Phillips wrecked her knee). All this on the back of an autumn-winter-spring in which Queenslanders could properly train and play state league, while Victorians weren't allowed outside. Compromised premiership, you must be fuming!

Aaanyway, let's get back to the part where you suggested teams compromise their prep and recovery by playing midweek games in addition to weekend games. Not even Nicole Livingstone would make such a farcical suggestion... or would she, idk.

Wow that's weird. Supporters putting asterisks next to other club's premierships? Must just be a rugby league thing, not like it happens for every single V/AFL/W flag ever. For example:

The AFL broke the rules to let Brisbane sign Courtney Hodder. Then a soft fixture gifted them an extra week's rest pre-finals, fuelling a narrow prelim win over a fatigued Collingwood. Then got to play an injury-plagued Crows (having lost to them earlier in the season before Phillips wrecked her knee). All this on the back of an autumn-winter-spring in which Queenslanders could properly train and play state league, while Victorians weren't allowed outside. Compromised premiership, you must be fuming!

Aaanyway, let's get back to the part where you suggested teams compromise their prep and recovery by playing midweek games in addition to weekend games. Not even Nicole Livingstone would make such a farcical suggestion... or would she, idk.
You clearly don't understand the definition of what a compromised premiership is 🤦‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back