List Mgmt. 2023 List Management Resource Compilation Thread with Key Post-Season Dates

Remove this Banner Ad

We're currently at 36 of 38 senior list spots occupied, so we can only use two national draft picks this year.

None of the picks better than ours (by which I mean any kind of upgrade bought by 10+14, 10+20, or 14+20) are available for trade - a quick look down who has and traded for what settles that notion. What appears most likely is us trading 20 to a team reaching for a specific player they didn't expect to be available, for a future pick - identical to the Carlton and Liam Stocker scenario in 2018. The difference is everyone knows we have to offload it, so it'll be lowball offers.

The re-signing of both Sloane and Crouch unecessarily squeezed out list.
Think more likely we trade out our pick before draft night or we use 2 picks to trade up for 1.

We're currently at 36 of 38 senior list spots occupied, so we can only use two national draft picks this year.

None of the picks better than ours (by which I mean any kind of upgrade bought by 10+14, 10+20, or 14+20) are available for trade - a quick look down who has and traded for what settles that notion. What appears most likely is us trading 20 to a team reaching for a specific player they didn't expect to be available, for a future pick - identical to the Carlton and Liam Stocker scenario in 2018. The difference is everyone knows we have to offload it, so it'll be lowball offers.

The re-signing of both Sloane and Crouch unecessarily squeezed out list.
What?..that only happens if we have delisted someone so we have 3 picks available as there is no chance we are going live to the draft with 3 1st rounders and only 2 list spots available

There's zero chance of us trading up in this draft, all the doors are closed. We're trading forward into next year.
Wouldn't say zero, but either way I would be very surprised it we leave it to draft night!

I would say there is zero chance of that happening.

None of the picks better than ours (by which I mean any kind of upgrade bought by 10+14, 10+20, or 14+20) are available for trade - a quick look down who has and traded for what settles that notion. What appears most likely is us trading 20 to a team reaching for a specific player they didn't expect to be available, for a future pick - identical to the Carlton and Liam Stocker scenario in 2018. The difference is everyone knows we have to offload it, so it'll be lowball offers. The alternative is delisting a contracted player and paying out their contract, which is a very unlikely proposition for this club.

The re-signing of both Sloane and Crouch unecessarily squeezed our list.

Still got that hate burning for Matt Crouch I see Rabbit

Wouldn't say zero, but either way I would be very surprised it we leave it to draft night!

I would say there is zero chance of that happening.

Are we allowed to take more draft picks to draft night than spots? I mean do we have the option of taking 3 even if we only have 2 spots and try and offload one on draft night?

Someone else somewhere said we needed to sort that differential out before draft night?

Are we allowed to take more draft picks to draft night than spots? I mean do we have the option of taking 3 even if we only have 2 spots and try and offload one on draft night?

Someone else somewhere said we needed to sort that differential out before draft night?
Teams used to be able to do that and then adjust their lists accordingly during the rookie drafting process, I am not sure if the AFL closed that door a couple of years ago?

You do.

NTRabbit is talking some crazy stuff.

We're currently at 39 of 42 list spots, assuming we DO redraft Borlase.

We'll move a player across to the rookie list by delisting and redrafting, exactly the same as we've done previously. That seems much more likely than a trade prior to the draft.

Then we'll take three picks into the draft.

None of the picks better than ours (by which I mean any kind of upgrade bought by 10+14, 10+20, or 14+20) are available for trade - a quick look down who has and traded for what settles that notion. What appears most likely is us trading 20 to a team reaching for a specific player they didn't expect to be available, for a future pick - identical to the Carlton and Liam Stocker scenario in 2018. The difference is everyone knows we have to offload it, so it'll be lowball offers. The alternative is delisting a contracted player and paying out their contract, which is a very unlikely proposition for this club.

The re-signing of both Sloane and Crouch unecessarily squeezed our list.
Cutting Bond (or whoever) would cost very little 100k ish for Bond and less if picked up as rookie.

Clearly we don’t want to rock up draft night with 3 picks and only 2 list spots. As you say it weakens our negotiating hand and would be stupidity.

Therefore it’s close to fait accompli that over the next 1-2 weeks we (1) move up the order and consolidate to only 2 draft picks OR (2) delist a Bond / Hamill etc. I can’t see how this doesn’t happen

There's zero chance of us trading up in this draft, all the doors are closed. We're trading forward into next year.
Zero chance? Sure about that?

Cats want more first rounders and would almost certainly take 10 and 14 (or maybe even 10 and 20) for pick 8 with other lower value swaps involved

Zero chance? Sure about that?

Cats want more first rounders and would almost certainly take 10 and 14 (or maybe even 10 and 20) for pick 8 with other lower value swaps involved
The cats might do that deal, but we sure as s**t shouldn't, giving up an entire first round pick to move up 2 spots? Utter insanity.

10 and 14 is for an upgrade into the top 6, and none of those picks are moving, even GWS at 7 are locked in.

20 and 14 isn't going to shake loose anything in the top 10, and outside of that is giving up too much for too little, and I don't see Geelong being interested in splitting 8 anymore now that they also have 25

The cats might do that deal, but we sure as s**t shouldn't, giving up an entire first round pick to move up 2 spots? Utter insanity.

10 and 14 is for an upgrade into the top 6, and none of those picks are moving, even GWS at 7 are locked in.

20 and 14 isn't going to shake loose anything in the top 10, and outside of that is giving up too much for too little, and I don't see Geelong being interested in splitting 8 anymore now that they also have 25
You should work out what your opinion actually is.

Is there zero chance of moving up or not?

I'm also not convinced you completely understand what the list lodgement process is, considering your certainty that we're going in with two picks.

Ok so you have changed your mind already.

We now both agree we could move up - whether we choose to give up sufficient collateral is the key issue. I would do 10 and 20 for 8 assuming the player we really want is there at 8 but we feel unlikely at 10. I would consider 10 and 14 for 8 IiF we also got back a pick in the 20’s or Cats F2 (assuming same feelings about 8 vs 10 as previous)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back