List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I think them trading their first out for a future first without atleast a second this year to go with it seems a long shot. They could need half a dozen second round picks to match all three picks and then still be left with having to take the last three picks in the draft
Pretty sure they've also reinstated the rule that for every pick you're going to use (in a bid matching sense), you need to have vacant list spot. So the concept of stockpiling most of the 4th & 5th round picks to equal an early first doesn't work unless you're prepared to leave a significant percentage of your list out of contract until after the national draft.

We could give them picks 60 and 66 that equals to 1000 points which is equivalent to pick 21
Unless the AFL have changed the points table, picks 60 and 66 equals 226 points, or the equivalent of around pick 54.

Swans would be in a good position to trade up having a couple of 2nd round picks, currently picks 22 and 25 - equaling 1,601 points or the equivalent of around pick 7 to 8.

Pretty sure they've also reinstated the rule that for every pick you're going to use (in a bid matching sense), you need to have vacant list spot. So the concept of stockpiling most of the 4th & 5th round picks to equal an early first doesn't work unless you're prepared to leave a significant percentage of your list out of contract until after the national draft.
That’s right so to match bids they are going to need good picks which means they will more then likely have to keep their first to match or trade it for possibly second rounders at latest. Hard to see how they get the points if they trade their first for a future first

Unless the AFL have changed the points table, picks 60 and 66 equals 226 points, or the equivalent of around pick 54.

Swans would be in a good position to trade up having a couple of 2nd round picks, currently picks 22 and 25 - equaling 1,601 points or the equivalent of around pick 7 to 8.
Yeah I think google has put a completely different sport up for the points table 🤦‍♂️

My question for the club on McGovern: are you 100% confident that if you give him a new contract, he’ll present in tip top condition and do all he can to make this club better. If the answer is yes, consider a short term contract on significantly reduced money. If the answer is no, move on and get whatever scraps we can at the draft.
Always got to be weary of guys who do nothing for years then suddenly get their s*** together in a contract year.

Has he actually gotten over his fitness and professionalism issues or has he realised he needs a new contract and will slack off if signed again? I think the trick is short term, maybe even 1 yr deals, for him. 1 yr with a trigger for 2 would perhaps be a good way about it. Also at lower money. Though based on media words it seems he's accepting of lower knowing he didn't live up to his end of things entirely.

All would cost early second to third rounders, one way of balancing the list up with required list player types through a combination of our own player trades this year and next years future round picks, landing 2 such types like Hollands and Lohmann helps the medium forward half deficiency that’s been in the system for a couple of years already, while limiting the number of U18 haul if the list changes are of a large number…
Liked Hollands Lohmann and Stephens in their draft years, Flanders wasn’t a standout for myself but could add to our list with some of his strength as a player compared to what we’re letting go of…

Elijah Hollands
21yrs (April) 188cm 86kg
Murray U18’s Vic Country rep
2020 #7 National Draft
Forward/Midfielder
9 games 8 goals
Contracted until 2024

Kai Lohmann
20yrs (May) 185cm 77kg
Ballarat U18’s Vic Country rep
2021 #20 National Draft
Forward
4 games 0 goals
Contracted until 2023

Dylan Stephens
22yrs (January) 184cm 80kg
Norwood U18’s SA rep
20018 #5 National Draft
Midfielder/Wing
39 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Sam Flanders
22yrs (July) 183cm 81kg
Gippsland U18’s Vic Country rep
2019 #11 National Draft
Midfielder/Forward
35 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Last edited:
All would cost early second to third rounders, one way of balancing the list up with required list player types through a combination of our own player trades this year and next years future round picks, landing 2 such types like Hollands and Lohmann helps the medium forward half deficiency that’s been in the system for a couple of years already, while limiting the number of U18 haul if the list changes are of a large number…
Liked the Hollands Lohmann and Stephens in their draft years, Flanders wasn’t a standout for myself but could add to our list with some of his strength as a player compared to what we’re letting go of…

Elijah Hollands
21yrs (April) 188cm 86kg
2020 #7 National Draft
Forward/Midfielder
9 games 8 goals
Contracted until 2024

Kai Lohmann
20yrs (May) 185cm 77kg
2021 #20 National Draft
Forward
4 games 0 goals
Contracted until 2023

Dylan Stephens
Norwood U18’s SA rep
20018 #5 National Draft
Midfielder/Wing
39 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Sam Flanders
22yrs (July) 183cm 81kg
2019 #11 National Draft
Midfielder/Forward
35 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023
Agree all good options and reasonable cost, we need to clear some space to enable our list overhaul, commencing seasons end, it will need time so better to begin ASAP, we can't delay any longer, 2022was a lost opportinutiy to begin process.

Liked the Hollands Lohmann and Stephens in their draft years, Flanders wasn’t a standout for myself but could add to our list with some of his strength as a player compared to what we’re letting go of…

Elijah Hollands
21yrs (April) 188cm 86kg
2020 #7 National Draft
Forward/Midfielder
9 games 8 goals
Contracted until 2024

Kai Lohmann
20yrs (May) 185cm 77kg
2021 #20 National Draft
Forward
4 games 0 goals
Contracted until 2023

Dylan Stephens
Norwood U18’s SA rep
20018 #5 National Draft
Midfielder/Wing
39 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Sam Flanders
22yrs (July) 183cm 81kg
2019 #11 National Draft
Midfielder/Forward
35 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023
I was into Flanders and even suggested him earlier this season. Since then I've paid more attention to him at Suns games and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed in just about every aspect.

His supposed strengths don't really appear on field. He looks on paced, without real power and his kicking lacks penetration from what I can see with skills and touch just being so-so. I don't really see much in him unfortunately. It's disappointing as his strengths on paper/from draft reports indicate he actually would be the exact player we could use but alas on field at AFL level they don't really appear.

Agree all good options and reasonable cost, we need to clear some space to enable our list overhaul, commencing seasons end, it will need time so better to begin ASAP, we can't delay any longer, 2022was a lost opportinutiy to begin process.
Was just adding a bit more to the players that i also liked myself that were suggested by another couple of posters earlier, whether the club is interested time will tell but they all profile well by age and positional/skill set needs..
I’d like to see the club take a chance on Ramshaw and Dozzi through our own development system, both youngsters imo are clearly a step above any other kids their age that we have had coming through our reserves system, both have a good balance within their games for the modern game…
The absence of a couple of developing key defenders and another key forward needs to be addressed as well…

I was into Flanders and even suggested him earlier this season. Since then I've paid more attention to him at Suns games and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed in just about every aspect.

His supposed strengths don't really appear on field. He looks on paced, without real power and his kicking lacks penetration from what I can see with skills and touch just being so-so. I don't really see much in him unfortunately. It's disappointing as his strengths on paper/from draft reports indicate he actually would be the exact player we could use but alas on field at AFL level they don't really appear.
Haven’t been watching as much footy this season as in all games, normally would just about watch every game all rounds…
Haven’t watch many of the Suns games so that doesn’t sound very encouraging for Flanders if that’s the case, have recorded the game because we play the Hawks next week just have a look at how they went…

Last edited:

Elijah Hollands
21yrs (April) 188cm 86kg
2020 #7 National Draft
Forward/Midfielder
9 games 8 goals
Contracted until 2024

Kai Lohmann
20yrs (May) 185cm 77kg
2021 #20 National Draft
Forward
4 games 0 goals
Contracted until 2023

Dylan Stephens
Norwood U18’s SA rep
20018 #5 National Draft
Midfielder/Wing
39 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Sam Flanders
22yrs (July) 183cm 81kg
2019 #11 National Draft
Midfielder/Forward
35 games 11 goals
Contracted until 2023

Great summary.
Stephens would be worth a punt despite an underwhelming year. Particularly if, as expected LOB is delisted.
Highly rated junior, comes from a great system, penetrating left footer.

Great summary.
Stephens would be worth a punt despite an underwhelming year. Particularly if, as expected LOB is delisted.
Grew up a Carlton supporter as well, has a good mix of speed, endurance inside/outside game as well as a good ball user…
Swans have been patient particularly during his first few years, was fairly light on body wise and just looked a little off the pace with the overall speed of the game, starting to look more comfortable and having more of an impact…

Haven’t been watching as much footy this season as in all games, normally would just about watch every game all rounds…
Haven’t watch many of the Suns games so that doesn’t sound very encouraging for Flanders if that’s the case, have recorded the game because we play the Hawks next week just have a look at how they look…
I am a Suns member, go to every home game (haven't missed a Metricon game for years now) and obviously watch the away games so know a bit more about the list than most. I don't claim to be a draft or list expert or anything like that, but one thing I look for when it comes to draft time and the highlights are out, then in the early games of kids careers is: Do the draft reports line up with what you see, i.e. the "Strengths" on paper line up with what you see in highlights of their junior footy or early in their AFL careers - Flanders for me is one that doesn't line up. I see the written down and think "Ok that sounds exciting" but then watching him I don't really see much of that player.

Having said all that, his game vs the Hawks was good. It was a career high in possessions for him at 27 - previous best was 20. Maybe that'll kick-start his career, we'll see. Though as you've recorded it keep that context in mind I suppose, that's a career best game, not the usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a Suns member, go to every home game (haven't missed a Metricon game for years now) and obviously watch the away games so know a bit more about the list than most. I don't claim to be a draft or list expert or anything like that, but one thing I look for when it comes to draft time and the highlights are out, then in the early games of kids careers is: Do the draft reports line up with what you see, i.e. the "Strengths" on paper line up with what you see in highlights of their junior footy or early in their AFL careers - Flanders for me is one that doesn't line up. I see the written down and think "Ok that sounds exciting" but then watching him I don't really see much of that player.

Having said all that, his game vs the Hawks was good. It was a career high in possessions for him at 27 - previous best was 20. Maybe that'll kick-start his career, we'll see. Though as you've recorded it keep that context in mind I suppose, that's a career best game, not the usual.
Funny the way you described your approach by the way you measure in watching the kids yourself against all the available information by draft reports in the way they line up, that’s the manner in how I’ve always applied it also, trust your eye make your notes whilst using all the information from the available draft watchers as well as the coaches school regional or U18’s feedback on the ins and outs of these players…
Then make up your own mind on what you like or not so much…

Last edited:
Great summary.
Stephens for me is another LOB...same short comings.

Stephens for me is another LOB...same short comings.

So then maybe we trade Stephens for LOB - maybe they both do better at a new club and change of scenery - and we did seem interested previously in Stephens and allegedly Swans had shown a little interest in LOB (albeit before he declined further)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Always got to be weary of guys who do nothing for years then suddenly get their s*** together in a contract year.

Has he actually gotten over his fitness and professionalism issues or has he realised he needs a new contract and will slack off if signed again? I think the trick is short term, maybe even 1 yr deals, for him. 1 yr with a trigger for 2 would perhaps be a good way about it. Also at lower money. Though based on media words it seems he's accepting of lower knowing he didn't live up to his end of things entirely.
He had major surgery. It was last chance saloon for his hammy.

From what I know, it's why he isn't as quick and can't sprint as fast.

Part of it might be not trusting it yet.

Previously they tried less invasive methods which just didn't hold up under stress.

Should be ok from here on out.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
another masterclass from our list management team...
Was presented with the 2 years on very minimal dollars. This was before Acres and Hollands had joined Carlton.

Not sure what you expected management to do. Imagine we didn't get Acres and Hollands and LOB left last year.

For 2 years on minimal it's not the worst decision and shouldn't be viewed in a negative light imo. And if you look back at the reports in the off season, LOB was flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back