List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben McKay's contract price is too high.

If we trade for anyone it will be in the fringe 22 role player market.

Probably to cover the players who leave

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Using Harmes and Hollands as an example.

I assume they would be targeted as a HF/Mid, competing with Cuinners, Fog, Fisher, Philp and maybe Martin. If we are targeting these types for this specific role, then they aren’t cooperating against a large amount of players.

We targeted Acres for a specific role, i assume he’d only be competing against a small amount of players for his position.
This. Players like Cuningham and Fogarty aren’t any better then most poor sides in those roles anyway. We are probably a great choice of club for a forward/mid or HF.

Why Acres was so cheap with the quintessential Moneyball scenario - his obvious major flaw is his kicking, and SO much emphasis was put on this two clubs failed to adequately value what he does bring and do well. He's not a star, never will be, isn't a best ~10 player on the list. BUT, he is fit, hard, defensively responsible, etc. Brings a lot to the side, so long as we account for and forgive his diabolical disposal. Also means we can't carry too many others who are poor kicks. We still need to add more class to the side, but Acres more than earns his spot even with his shortcomings.

Right now I'd have Acres in our top 10.

Given we had to sign Pitto for 4yrs as there was so much interest from other clubs 🤨
Any chance we can trade him off to one of the many suitors for him (who were so keen for him) & take Grundy on the cheap?
Grundy/TDK would work for me if we are insistent on playing 2 rucks
Grundy will be playing for Sydney next year. Port Adelaide will get Jordon Sweet from the Bulldogs.
Geelong or West Coast might need a mature ruck.
Either way Pittonet will be a Carlton player next year - Voss rates him.

Love this. Very deserving, but plenty to play out with a tight list and salary cap.

Who knows what our best 22 will look like in 12 months. Fog could play 20+ games next year or none. Single year deal is perfect. Somewhat hoping there are triggers for an auto extension if he can command a spot.

think nearly every blues fan considered him a certain delisting even by the start of 2023. the turn around he's had just has to be applauded.

So much this.

And well done to the fitness and development team too… He’s come a long way in the past 12 months and he has much more upside to come.

So much this.

And well done to the fitness and development team too… He’s come a long way in the past 12 months and he has much more upside to come.
Waiting for the internet to break.........."well done to our fitness and development team" was a combination of words that I thought the the internet has an algorithm that would automatically shut everything down.

Given we had to sign Pitto for 4yrs as there was so much interest from other clubs 🤨
Any chance we can trade him off to one of the many suitors for him (who were so keen for him) & take Grundy on the cheap?
Grundy/TDK would work for me if we are insistent on playing 2 rucks
For me… It’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul, with Pittonet and Grundy, neither can play forward…

We need an athletic KPF who can ruck, to combine with TDK…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for the internet to break.........."well done to our fitness and development team" was a combination of words that I thought the the internet has an algorithm that would automatically shut everything down.

145950402.jpg

Right now I'd have Acres in our top 10.
A lot of talk of trading to improve our depth this year, but I don't think that will be the club's focus. They will be going all out to get other Acres types who establish themselves as regular best 22 players and push others out of the side.

That's how you improve depth rather than target players to be depth. This time next year our best 22 will comprise of 4 or 5 different players if we are doing the right thing and improving.

Those like Dow and Fisher who aren't quite good enough to cement a regular place in the team will continue to be forced out.

With all due respect to your opinion on Harry's wayward kicking being 'purely mental' I beg to differ as I believe his problem is mainly technical. If you look at the goal he missed from the set shot in front V. the Swans, Harry isn't facing the goals square on, but rather with his left shoulder pointing towards the right hand point post and when he follows through, his left leg swings to the right and that is where the ball ends. I'm sure he practices the correct routine at training, but on match day, the correct pre kick set up goes missing.

And as for the goal he missed from the goal square, for some unknown he uses the modern day inane kicking technique of trying to dribble the ball through the goals, bringing into the unknown variable of the oblong shaped ball bouncing the wrong way off the ground. Please tell me, what is wrong with kicking the ball through the goals on the full ???

Agree. For closer in set shots Harry should look at Jack Martin and even Aaron Naughton ( and funnily enough Warwick Capper ) who line it up, run in straight only a few steps and keep it all very compact.

Harry is all over the shop twiddling the ball etc. Seems he’s trying to stay relaxed but not focused on the mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of talk of trading to improve our depth this year, but I don't think that will be the club's focus. They will be going all out to get other Acres types who establish themselves as regular best 22 players and push others out of the side.

That's how you improve depth rather than target players to be depth. This time next year our best 22 will comprise of 4 or 5 different players if we are doing the right thing and improving.

Those like Dow and Fisher who aren't quite good enough to cement a regular place in the team will continue to be forced out.

Interesting exercise - where do we see that strategy being applied?

Key forward spots are unlikely - Charlie and Harry are top tier and locked in long term, so we're not looking to squeeze them out of the side.
General forwards are OK with Martin and Silvagni, seems more likely we'd draft underneath them rather than try and recruit above them.
Inside mid is similarly spoken for with Cripps, Hewett and to an extent Kennedy.
General mids are established with Walsh and Cerra.
Wings are covered with Acres, Cottrell and developing options Hollands and Binns. Also have the Campo's coming up.
Ruck seems pretty set with Pitto highly rated internally, TDK extended for a few more years, and Mirkov/O'Keeffe in the reserves. We're playing two rucks and two key forwards, so don't think we'll be shopping around for a ruck/fwd hybrid.
Medium defenders are overstocked in the seniors already with Kemp, Gov and Marchy.
Small defenders/rebounders seem settled at face value, though there's a question mark over how Williams comes back, and whether Cowan and Boyd have the ability to overtake Cincotta. One of the Campo's could settle here too.
Then you've got Docherty who could arguably be used as a medium defender, small defender, general mid or wing.

The areas for immediate improvement would seem to be:

Key defense - we've only got one "key defender" in Weiters supported by three third talls. Is this a deficiency, or do the decision makers feel that the current style at the top level is best supported with a slightly shorter backline?
Small forwards - we've got a handful of them, but seem to lack the type who can turn a game on its head. Maybe Motlop can be that player? Would have to think that if there's any position we'd look to upgrade immediately with a mature(ish) player, this would be it.

Key forward spots are unlikely - Charlie and Harry are top tier and locked in long term, so we're not looking to squeeze them out of the side.
General forwards are OK with Martin and Silvagni, seems more likely we'd draft underneath them rather than try and recruit above them.
Inside mid is similarly spoken for with Cripps, Hewett and to an extent Kennedy.
Wings are covered with Acres, Cottrell and developing options Hollands and Binns. Also have the Campo's coming up.
Ruck seems pretty set with Pitto highly rated internally, TDK extended for a few more years, and Mirkov/O'Keeffe in the reserves. We're playing two rucks and two key forwards, so don't think we'll be shopping around for a ruck/fwd hybrid.
Medium defenders are overstocked in the seniors already with Kemp, Gov and Marchy.
Small defenders/rebounders seem settled at face value, though there's a question mark over how Williams comes back, and whether Cowan and Boyd have the ability to overtake Cincotta. One of the Campo's could settle here too.
Then you've got Docherty who could arguably be used as a medium defender, small defender, general mid or wing.

Key defense - we've only got one "key defender" in Weiters supported by three third talls. Is this a deficiency, or do the decision makers feel that the current style at the top level is best supported with a slightly shorter backline?
Small forwards - we've got a handful of them, but seem to lack the type who can turn a game on its head. Maybe Motlop can be that player? Would have to think that if there's any position we'd look to upgrade immediately with a mature(ish) player, this would be it.
Not a strategy but it's what happens naturally. Take a look at teams that go back to back in winning flags, there's always 4 or 5 changes from one year to the next. Form fluctuations, bringing better players into the club, we won't see the same 22 taking the field at this time. We won't stand still, we will be looking at improving the team next year.

Not a strategy but it's what happens naturally. Take a look at teams that go back to back in winning flags, there's always 4 or 5 changes from one year to the next. Form fluctuations, bringing better players into the club, we won't see the same 22 taking the field at this time. We won't stand still, we will be looking at improving the team next year.

I'm just responding to what you said :p

"A lot of talk of trading to improve our depth this year, but I don't think that will be the club's focus. They will be going all out to get other Acres types who establish themselves as regular best 22 players and push others out of the side.

That's how you improve depth rather than target players to be depth."

If we're going to target Acres-types who establish themselves in the side and push others out, logic dictates that we'd be specific in identifying our needs. Last year it was the wing. I'm curious as to what you think it's likely to be this year - which position can we upgrade by targeting a budget option from another club.

There will be organic change within the existing squad, of course. But the trade/free agency targets will be interesting.

I'm just responding to what you said :p

"A lot of talk of trading to improve our depth this year, but I don't think that will be the club's focus. They will be going all out to get other Acres types who establish themselves as regular best 22 players and push others out of the side.

That's how you improve depth rather than target players to be depth."

If we're going to target Acres-types who establish themselves in the side and push others out, logic dictates that we'd be specific in identifying our needs. Last year it was the wing. I'm curious as to what you think it's likely to be this year - which position can we upgrade by targeting a budget option from another club.

There will be organic change within the existing squad, of course. But the trade/free agency targets will be interesting.
Yep, for sure, depends on who is available and whether we see them as possible upgrades on what we already have, we haven't done badly in that market in recent years.

We have enough small forwards with significant upside eg Motlop & Durdin, another mid sized who can kick 30 goals a season would be very valuable, Martin is a excellent player when fit.

Agree another tall defender via the draft would seem a priority, be interesting to see Austin's strategy to strengthen our draft position this year.

We have enough small forwards with significant upside eg Motlop & Durdin, another mid sized who can kick 30 goals a season would be very valuable, Martin is a excellent player when fit.

Agree another tall defender via the draft would seem a priority, be interesting to see Austin's strategy to strengthen our draft position this year.

I'd argue if we're bringing in a mature player from somewhere else to start in the 22, the players with "upside" are the ones who are likely to get squeezed out - at least until that upside translates into strong form warranting selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back