Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's gonna suck seeing Sanders do well elsewhere.
Ive said this before, but I can honestly see us taking him.....I just don't see us going to the trouble of badgering the AFL to get him listed in our NGA academy, only to turn around and say to the kid, "oh nah we were only interested in you if we could get you for free or match a bid if you slid". I suspect we take both tassie boys at 2 and 3, then address needs with other picks.

Ive said this before, but I can honestly see us taking him.....I just don't see us going to the trouble of badgering the AFL to get him listed in our NGA academy, only to turn around and say to the kid, "oh nah we were only interested in you if we could get you for free or match a bid if you slid". I suspect we take both tassie boys at 2 and 3, then address needs with other picks.
The more I think about it, I think you may have a point and this is extremely likely. Doesn’t make sense to do all that for no reason? If we do take him, I’m not taking another midfielder for years haha. We can use our top 3 pick next year to lure a quality KP player or to swap for multiple first round selections. Top 5 next year look class.

Very disappointed. DeMattia makes no sense based on our list profile, and I'm out on both Murphy and Reid as selections inside 25.

Curtin wouldn't be the end of the world but clearly I've got guys ahead of him.
DeMattia is super quick, breaks lines and is versatile. Twomey reported the recruiters see him as a defender at the next level. You don’t think he fits our list?

That’d be stupid by us if he’s ranked at 6+ and taking him at 2/3.
Don’t reached at those picks
He’ll be a good reliable player but at those picks we should be hoping for elite players of the comp

Makes more sense getting sanders over dursmaa for me. Can't fit too many medium forwards whilst you can always do with quality mids
I think Duursma could play in all 3rds of the ground. It would shit me if sanders is one of those strictly inside mid types who can’t play anywhere else. That is exactly what we don’t need.

l think that Sanders has more of the "go home " factor than Mckersher..so l would rather Duursma, or Watson ..please not that there is no "T" in Mckersher..
Sanders already lives in Melbourne
That’d be stupid by us if he’s ranked at 6+ and taking him at 2/3.
Don’t reached at those picks
He’ll be a good reliable player but at those picks we should be hoping for elite players of the comp
I think he is only ranked 6+ because he is another inside mid, compared to the variety of Reid, Walter, Curtin, Watson, Duursma and even McKercher.

Also, the knocks I always see on him are his disposal and his athleticism. All the footage I've seen of him he looks the cleanest skills in the draft. Always pinpoint with both handballing and kicking. 1 touch in the contest. And then he looks like he has a burst of speed that is being undersold. Looks pretty explosive out of the stoppage. Add that to his elite tank and you've got a more athletic cunners who runs stoppage to stoppage with ease

LDU, Thomas & Warlord are all burst players. Simpkin can run but is slow and can’t kick. This midfield needs a road runner. McKercher makes too much sense. It’s part of the reason why I’m against selling the farm for Reid. It’s Reid or McKercher. We have no spread and Mckercher’s spread is next level.
We could even see the impact that Lazarro made in the GC game by just having that type of runner in the middle.

DeMattia is super quick, breaks lines and is versatile. Twomey reported the recruiters see him as a defender at the next level. You don’t think he fits our list?

I don't think we need to get fancy and pick a guy who's played mostly as a midfielder/forward flanker and hope he translates well into defense.

If we want a medium defender then just pick Hastie, Roberts, Hardeman or Ryan with 15, 17 or 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we need to get fancy and pick a guy who's played mostly as a midfielder/forward flanker and hope he translates well into defense.

If we want a medium defender then just pick Hastie, Roberts, Hardeman or Ryan with 15, 17 or 18
I think Sheezel has proven the position you play at under age level doesn’t necessarily mean much. The better players naturally find themselves playing midfield and forward IMO.

What’s his “take ball at half speed, hold ball tightly to chest and get tackled” form like?

Lol I’m not saying he plays like McDonald just that I could see him playing on a Toby Greene, Charlie Cameron type.

Great speed. Intensity. And capable of drive out of defence.

Certainly on a like for like comparison with lmac he’s nowhere near as strong in the air. Kicking is probably similar to be fair

I doubt it. Sanders seems the super loyal type.
MCKERCHER has stated he loves the big city Melbourne lifestyle. If he lives up to the hype he'll be on $800k by the time Tassie comes in.
If we are in finals contention at that time I can't see him leaving to start from the bottom again.

SANDERS on the other hand has the overbearing dad who's already made a few suspect comments.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

I think Sheezel has proven the position you play at under age level doesn’t necessarily mean much. The better players naturally find themselves playing midfield and forward IMO.

I argued for Sheezel played back flank at the beginning of the year because he had traits that led me to believe it was worth a shot.

Sheezel is an exceptional player with rare footy IQ and skills - DeMattia is not Sheezel.

Last edited:
Here’s one.
What if we looked at it in a completely unthinkable or rational view, and one looks like potential flight risks and the other has daddy issues. While Reid becomes a generational talent.
(Ive always said I am in for drafting McKercher and Sanders)
Would going 2,3 for 1 be seen as such a bad trade off??

Here’s one.
What if we looked at it in a completely unthinkable or rational view, and one looks like potential flight risks and the other has daddy issues. While Reid becomes a generational talent.
season 3 GIF

Here’s one.

I agree. Completely unthinkable and irrational (rather than rational) and would warrant the removal of the entire recruiting team.

I agree. Completely unthinkable and irrational (rather than rational) and would warrant the removal of the entire recruiting team.
It’s clearly a tongue in cheek/ ridiculous hindsight kind of material given the talk about the Tasmanian team.

But if that did occur (again I can’t emphasise enough how outlandish and hypothetical it is, I’m not sure how much more clear I could make it) - but if the two wanted to move back - what kind of a trade capital does a newly introduced team have?

We’ve seen weird shit happen before. Where a number one pick wants to go home after a year.

LDU, Thomas & Warlord are all burst players. Simpkin can run but is slow and can’t kick. This midfield needs a road runner. McKercher makes too much sense. It’s part of the reason why I’m against selling the farm for Reid. It’s Reid or McKercher. We have no spread and Mckercher’s spread is next level.
We can take both Kerch and Sanders, play Thomas as a high half forward and begin finding additional roles for Simpkin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back