Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

So with the F/S and academy bids, we're left with pick 48. Gee there was a time not so long ago when we'd be stoked to have multiple picks inside 50. Will we use it folks? Likely possibilities? I think the one thing that stands out to me, is everyone selected has some exceptional trait, whether it be physical, athletic, skill wise, or a combination. I'm hopeful the days of picking up list cloggers for the sake of it are over!
I'll just repost this from Monday night in the wake of some questioning why we didn't use 48..... I'm 100pct onboard with the decision, the speculative picks that some wish to take have a place in the rookie draft.

Im no Nostra but id be going Koen Sanchez from that lot
I am legitimately shocked he didn't get picked over the previous two nights.

I assume there are some off-field issues?

Also, North preferred to pass rather than take Schoenmaker with a free hit!

Speaks volumes to the off-field stuff there.

Who is quicker, Callinan or Sanchez?

Sanchez. He has a bit of zip and also has really tight lateral movement. At one stage he was being considered as a fringe top 20 player. I would’ve thought he’d done enough to get drafted in the ND. Not just a small forward either, played plenty of midfield in the colts and avg’d around 24 disposals per game.

Wouldn't be surprised if the fact we will have to reduce our list spots by 2 in 2025 came into play in not using 48. (The extra spots as part of our assistance package). Whilst we have several out of contract it gives us greater flexibility.

That and we also may rate some mature talent higher.

Tipping 1 rookie and 1 ssp.

All up what a great draft.

Bingo. That’s why we didn’t take pick 48 to the draft. We need the flexibility of one year contracts in case the AFL remove those extra list spots.

I'll just repost this from Monday night in the wake of some questioning why we didn't use 48..... I'm 100pct onboard with the decision, the speculative picks that some wish to take have a place in the rookie draft.
I'll be pissed when the small forward port took ends up kicking 6 on us.

Is the rookie draft on today at 12?
I remember it being something similar last year.

I would have liked to see us take George Stevens with Pick 48. I know we have more than enough midfielders, but I think his inside ball winning ability speaks for itself. And he hails from the good country.

I can't work out why no-one took him until Geelong did in the 60's, which means he will become a three time premiership player with them. Oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just wondering who of the draftees are likely to play next season. I presume McKercher would be likely to play early on, as he seems physically developed enough for the type of role he is likely to play. I presume Goad and Dawson are pretty unlikely, as they need both physical development and to learn their craft.

Because ?
Because we don’t just hand out list spots any more. Happy to read that Sellars is being given an opportunity to earn it - and I might just say, I feel he has done a fair way to doing that but no need to rush. We may have an injury over pre season in a other area of the ground we need to address.

Can anyone please post the pick 48’s that have gone on to stardom.
Grown men are having a fit over it
My son said some Nuffie on facebook was losing it - saying the club is a mess from the president down lol
Can we please post the rookie pick 2 and 20s that have also
feel free to include SSP that have gone on to stardom too

Cos we now are filling 2 list spots with later picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back