Autopsy 2023 Rd 13 Another loss. Devoid of headline material

Remove this Banner Ad

If we add Cuningham, Binns and Williams plus 3 quicker drafted/traded in players, we have a squad that can compete with the current trend. I still think * the problem players off at this stage.

Williams is a horrible contract we need to get off the books asap.

Cunningham is a sick note, so is Martin.

Cannot rely on any of these three to be contributing regularly.

Could having half the list out of contract at the start of the season and currently having about 17? Out of contract still causing some problems.
The argument is that 1) there is no clear replacement. 2) he needs better assistants including a senior assistant with coaching experience.

3) the rule changes to open up the game have worked against us. Our midfield is now too slow, Voss inherited a slow midfield. Cerra was a good acquisition.

4) we’ve tried sacking the coach 4 times. We haven’t tried sticking fat and working out some of the other issues.

5) with every coach we sack it’s harder to attract talented coaches. Why would you want to roll your once chance at a senior coach at Carlton if they’ll sack you at the first sign of trouble?
There are 18 (19) head AFL coaching positions available in the whole wide world. If you are a serious coach wanting an opportunity then you’re a fool for not putting your hat in the ring. Make your pitch and highlight what needs to be done! And where you think the list is at. Now to be CFC coach if we buy into your vision the board will deliver what you need… 28 year drought and youd have full backing until clearly it’s obvious you ain’t a coaches toenail.

Williams is a horrible contract we need to get off the books asap.

Cunningham is a sick note, so is Martin.

Cannot rely on any of these three to be contributing regularly.
Unfortunately we need to if we want to catch up to other sides in terms of leg speed.

Fine. Pi55 them off, but we need 3 replacements who can slot straight in who are quick. Easier said than done.

Unfortunately we need to if we want to catch up to other sides in terms of leg speed.

Fine. Pi55 them off, but we need 3 replacements who can slot straight in who are quick. Easier said than done.

This isn't a quick fix.

We need to purge ourself of many things from the club.

We should be moving mountains to secure the #1 pick from the Eagles starting with trading Cripps as part of the deal.

He's 28, now is the time to do it.

no no no GIF

Who are these people on the street George - can you tell me their names?

If body language and team leadership are taken into account they have absolutely checked out.

TKD just going through the motions.

Gov played a much better game…his agent must have been in his ear…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't a quick fix.

We need to purge ourself of many things from the club.

We should be moving mountains to secure the #1 pick from the Eagles starting with trading Cripps as part of the deal.

He's 28, now is the time to do it.
We've tried the pick 1 fix. He could wreck his knee in game 1. Ridiculous way to go about it.

By all means trade to get more picks. TDK for Geelong or Sydney's first is fine. Too late for Papley unless it was a very favourable deal.

Cripps for me depends on injury status (currently) and on-going attitude. If he has written Voss off, then I have no issue with the player losing the battle this time.

We’re not getting rid of Cunners or Martin (unless there is another serious LTI perhaps). No one with an ounce of common sense gives up on talent like that for a Hail Mary on a fourth rounder. Especially not a list so lacking in speed and class as our own.

Marchy isn’t at the same level and may not survive, which is unfortunate for him. On his side is the fact that our other key defenders are atrocious, but my feeling is he won’t receive a new contract… maybe if we can rookie him - I don’t know for certain how that works.

People are getting carried away with how far off our list is now. Initially, people were carried away with confidence, now we’re carried away with despair. The truth is in between.

A successful off-season and a reasonable run with injury and our list will be in good shape. Then it’s down to the coaches/Club to get the best out of it.

Edit: having thought more about it, if Marchy plays out the season, he may get a contract. In terms of quality of player, warrants it.

Last edited:
We’re not getting rid of Cunners or Martin (unless there is another serious LTI perhaps). No one with an ounce of common sense gives up on talent like that for a Hail Mary on a fourth rounder. Especially not a list so lacking in speed and class as our own.

We've been carrying them for years now.

How's that working out for us?

Must say I feel for you guys at the moment. It's rough being let down time after time. Not sure if that's any comfort.

Anyway I dunno about Voss but your list isn't that far off.

One or two pre-seasons of smart list changes and some coaching changes (not sure if structural or personnel) could make all the difference.

Reckon your board needs to be smart and targeted and not just start carrying on like a bunch of pork chops that reflect the supporter angst.

Hope you see success soon (not too much though) 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are getting carried away with how far off our list is now. Initially, people were carried away with confidence, now we’re carried away with despair. The truth is in between.
This is a good point.

The list does not have the premiership potential that some thought we had, but it's also not bad enough to warrant just about starting again as some claim.

I still think it's a "middle-6" (7-12 ladder position) list that is quite dramatically underperforming at present.

We definitely need some significant changes in personnel (both players and coaches) to reach something like top 4 - but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back