Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Brief notes from my perspective. Difficult to observe the whole ground when they split into groups. The 200ish spectators were all grouped in front of the new building.

Everyone looked like they had done the right things during the break. There were certainly no Jake Stringers! As others have mentioned, Gov, Martin and Williams all looked fine.

Ed was tackling like a man possessed - must want a rookie spot!

The blokes I noticed the most in the full ground stuff were the winger-types. Cottrell, Acres and Carroll had plenty of it. Lots of short kicking trying to maintain control. Acres was the only one I noticed who made multiple errors, but at least he was getting it.

Kemp appears to be training forward and was taking some big hangers on the bag.

Inside looks great, especially those 16 big silver things.

Brief notes from my perspective. Difficult to observe the whole ground when they split into groups. The 200ish spectators were all grouped in front of the new building.

Everyone looked like they had done the right things during the break. There were certainly no Jake Stringers! As others have mentioned, Gov, Martin and Williams all looked fine.

Ed was tackling like a man possessed - must want a rookie spot!

The blokes I noticed the most in the full ground stuff were the winger-types. Cottrell, Acres and Carroll had plenty of it. Lots of short kicking trying to maintain control. Acres was the only one I noticed who made multiple errors, but at least he was getting it.

Kemp appears to be training forward and was taking some big hangers on the bag.

Inside looks great, especially those 16 big silver things.
The shop and the merchandise is a major step up too.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel for Kempy and Jack Carroll. Both “should” be playing senior AFL footy from round one. Carroll first and foremost a midfielder has a handful of players in their prime ahead of him. The fact that we recruited Acres and are after “run” at the draft, suggests wing is not in the coaches thoughts.

Kemp looks more natural behind the ball in a semi-accountable role or as a play maker. Some glimpses of him finding space in traffic project elite. Has shown some signs as a marking target forward, but looks more third tall than KPF. With some dedicated mentoring, may become more effective as a tall target (Lonergan role). Player wise, his most obvious short term avenue is to replace JSOS if we play two dedicated rucks. Long term, it is possible both Marchbank and McGovern have recurring issues opening up the third tall defender spot. He is midfield capable, but it is hard to see him unseating the Fab 5, or getting past Carroll as the next up.

Could not blame either boy if they seek greener pastures should decent opportunity not be forthcoming during the season. That would be a travesty. (I want genuine young KPP prospects later in the draft to release Kemp to a role that best suits him, rather than being forced to fill gaps in the twos.

It easy to suggest a young player should be patient for opportunity, however three or four years in, with plenty of players still in their twenties in front, is not a good place to be.
For me...he is a forward not a backman.

He played that pre season game last year and looked great as the 3rd tall down forward, leading high up. People will hate me for this but I see him competing with SoS and Martin for his place. I think both SoS and Martin are vulnerable if Kemp can meet his draft expectations.

Yes Martin and SoS have strentghs over Kemp, but Kemp has some advantages over them as well, if he gets going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me...he is a forward not a backman.

He played that pre season game last year and looked great as the 3rd tall down forward, leading high up. People will hate me for this but I see him competing with SoS and Martin for his place. I think both SoS and Martin are vulnerable if Kemp can meet his draft expectations.

Yes Martin and SoS have strentghs over Kemp, but Kemp has some advantages over them as well, if he gets going.
IMO On potential Kemp & Martin can offer us more but we know JSOS will make them earn it which is a good position to find ourselves in.

sddefault.jpg

Is it just me or is just about every player from Tasmania a tough bastard?
Yeah, they start playing seniors at around 15 years old and we grow up playing on very muddy grounds in the rain meaning just about every game is a scrappy, tough slog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back