2023 Carlton VFL awards

Winner: Jaxon Binns

Second place (tied): Paddy Dow and Lachie Plowman

Third place: Ned Cahill

Best Young Player: Heath Ramshaw

Best Clubman: Lachlan Swaney

Coaches Award: Ben Ronke

Players Award: Luke Parks

That is a great top 3, for so many reasons.

Congratulations guys.

Does anyone know why Binns didn’t get a go in the AFL this year? He has made the VFL team of the year and now won the B&F. Remarkable from a first year player.

There has to have been a specific reason as to why he didn’t get a game?

Does anyone know why Binns didn’t get a go in the AFL this year? He has made the VFL team of the year and now won the B&F. Remarkable from a first year player.

There has to have been a specific reason as to why he didn’t get a game?
replacing who? we develop better now - we've moved away from promoting players before they are ready..........

replacing who? we develop better now - we've moved away from promoting players before they are ready..........

It could just be that. Although I do like the idea of giving these younger types 1-2 games to “give them a taste”. Especially against lower sides. We did the same thing a couple of years back with Carroll playing against North. Think it can only help when going in to your next pre-season.

I went to most games this year.

Dow would have won easily if he hadn’t been promoted

Binns second half of the year was excellent and deserved to win. Another pre season I reckon he’s best 22 next year

The interesting one is Cahill. I like him. Bit of Papley about him and can kick multiple goals. Wouldn’t be against him as a rookie

Binns second half of the year was excellent and deserved to win. Another pre season I reckon he’s best 22 next year

The interesting one is Cahill. I like him. Bit of Papley about him and can kick multiple goals. Wouldn’t be against him as a rookie
I think Dow only played 10 games and still finished second.

I think Cahill would have played for us if he was on our list this year. Would have got all Honey's games for a start.

There were a few obvious chances to bring him in. When Hollands first went down Binns was our best VFL player, and we elected to move Doc to the wing instead. Later in the year when Doc went to the midfield, we elected to bring Hollands back in to play wing after 1 average VFL game after Binns had been racking up BOGs.

Suggests there might have been something in his game we needed to see, or maybe we were just protecting him to his slight size. Would be interesting to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a few obvious chances to bring him in. When Hollands first went down Binns was our best VFL player, and we elected to move Doc to the wing instead. Later in the year when Doc went to the midfield, we elected to bring Hollands back in to play wing after 1 average VFL game after Binns had been racking up BOGs.

Suggests there might have been something in his game we needed to see, or maybe we were just protecting him to his slight size. Would be interesting to know.
Binns is turning 19 later this month. He's been playing 18 years old all year and has been made to develop and age in the VFL. Most drafted players are usually 18, turning 19, within months of being drafted.
Next year he'll get a look in having had time for his body to develop and age over 2 preseasons.

I reckon Ned Cahill would have played games in the seniors if he was listed. If a new AFL team comes in there are guys there like Ramshaw who could find their way on an AFL list easily and still might.

Binns had a great season for a first year player.

What are your thoughts on Carroll's development?

Carroll is an interesting one. Was really excited about him in his first few years but hasn't come on. Strikes me as a player who has forgotten what his strengths are.

Coming into his system his skills were a point of difference and he projected to be the "classy mid". Since then, that part of his game has gone backwards while other parts like his contested game have improved. It's meant he has become a very vanilla player (not the Walsh kind). Average at a lot of stuff but no real weapons which you need at AFL level.

I would advise him to get back to basics and think about how he can best use his attributes to be make it as a player rather than try to be Patrick Cripps.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but he started dropping off after that run of games he got in 2022. His first couple were great as was his start to that season but then he had a few shockers and probably stayed in the side to long. Not sure if that's impacted his confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back