2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 33 - Brisbane Lions - Arie Schoenmaker - Defender - Tasmania

Long term replacement for Daniel Rich.

So close - I was really hoping Schoenmaker would have made it one more pick! Mainly my Tasmanian bias, but he would make a good pick for * as insurance, given injuries have hampered Zach Reid's development. So with Schoenmaker off the board...

* selects George Stevens with Pick 34(or whatever it is...)

Stevens is ready-made, clocking in at 101 kegs and 189cm - he's built like a bulldozer, and has a similar turning circle. We've seen how Setterfield walked straight into the side to play that big-bodied mid that * was in desperate need of, so here's another that can come in and do battle for that position from day 1.

He's definitely got some question marks - he's not quick, and his disposal has a few question marks, but he's certainly an extractor that can feed the ball out to one of *'s dozen or so skinny outside players. The other big question mark will be how he plays against men when his size becomes less of an advantage.

He's also got the credentials as a defender too - he can play accountable, or play as an interceptor. His leadership qualities won't go astray either in a team that's calling out for a strong leader to tell them what to inject or not.

Can't help but feel this is another one that Dodoro will crow about - he'll definitely be described as the one we wanted all along...

Over to you Blugazi I think.

Pick 36 - Fremantle - Jack Delean

Apologies. Been arguing with myself all day over this pick, plus having some internet problems.

I have been trying to talk myself out of picking Jack Delean, but have taken so long I have to bite the bullet. I've got some players higher than him left on my board, but they are poor picks for Freo (rucks, contested mids).

After losing Schultz, Henry and Blake Fingertips Acres (TerryWallet TM), Freo are light on small forwards, wingers, outside class.

Delean is one of these things; a goal kicking machine. He has consistently kicked bags for the last three years of underage footy.

He has a good leap, he has very sticky hands. He can kick the ball 50m and around his body. He has great goal sense and reads the fall of the ball really well. He has good instincts and can tap the ball on, shepherd and loves to lay a tackle.

So why am I so nervous about picking him? He's not great athletically. He doesn't have great endurance and he's not overly quick. There is a good chance he can never overcome those and he's simply not good enough for AFL level.

But he can mark, he can crumb, he can kick a goal. He just probbaly won't do much aside from that. He kicked more than two goals a game at the u18 champs, but also averaged less than 6 disp...

I don't think Ginnivan or Weightman types do much at AFL level aside form kick goals. So he's not in terrible company (head ducking aside). If Delean ultimately doesn't make it AFL level, I think he'll end up kicking a bazillion goals at VFL level. Big question is whether the lack of athleticism will hold him back from being more than that.

I reckon he might have lasted to my next pick, which is why I am so angry at myself, but pulling the trigger anyway.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that I've got the next pick (* has 33, after Fremantles 32, which has been pushed out to 36). The pick numbers on the first page are a bit out of sync. Could some one confirm?
I reckon you're spot on. For the remainder of the 2nd round, the order should be:

Pick 37 - Essendon
Pick 38 - WCE
Pick 39 - Lions
Pick 40 - StK
Pick 41 - Tiggs
Pick 42 - Demons
Pick 43 - GWS

Ok, so I went into this thinking that the biggest list need for * was a key forward. But after looking into it, there are actually 5 on the list (Wright, Jones, Weideman, Bryan, Hunter), plus Cox and Baldwin. None of them are any good mind you, but there aren't any stand-out key forwards left in the pool. So rather than do the usual * and settle for someone who isn't quite good enough, I'll go to the other end of the ground and...

* picks Luamon Lual with Pick 37
I wish I was picking 2 spots later because nabbing a bulldog's NGA one pick before they can steal him would be even better :)

Lual projects as a speedy halfback, something that they've needed since Saad left them. And McKenna. And Fantasia (Not a halfback, but I like to point out how many speedy players don't want to play for them). Lual is very athletic and can play that intercept and rebound role that's so important in the modern game. While * have Nick Hind, he's 30 next season, and also he's not as good as Adam Saad. There were some questions over Lual's disposal early in the year, but he's cleaned it up some across the season, and risen as a draft prospect because of it. Also will need a bit of time in the gym, but I think there is plenty to like in that pick.

With that pick, I think * is done, apparently only taking 3 picks. Now I can go have a shower and drink a cask of cheap red wine so I can stop thinking like Adrian Dodoro. Basically the same process I used to get into his mindset.

Over to you Bletch .

Pick 38 - West Coast Eagles - Luke Lloyd - Key Forward (Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons) 08/08/2005 193cm 84kg

Keen to get a promising tall in this year - fix your spine first the theory. But haven't gone that way with my first two picks, so using this one on a mid-sized tall. Lloyd can do his apprenticeship under Jack Darling, and slot in to his spot in a couple of years.

Natural forward, good overhead, hits the scoreboard. Should team well with Oscar Allen.

bradfisher14 you and the Brions are up next.

Pick 39 - Brisbane Lions bid on Caiden Cleary (assume Sin City will be matching)

Pick 40 - Brisbane Lions - Billy Wilson - Defender - Dandenong Stingrays

Another half back? Yeah, I see Shoenmaker as a third tall and Zorko will retire next year. Need someone to develop behind the likes of he and Coleman.

Pablito is up with the Saints

Pick 39 - Brisbane Lions bid on Caiden Cleary (assume Sin City will be matching)

Pick 40 - Brisbane Lions - Billy Wilson - Defender - Dandenong Stingrays

Another half back? Yeah, I see Shoenmaker as a third tall and Zorko will retire next year. Need someone to develop behind the likes of he and Coleman.

Pablito is up with the Saints
Great pick!!! His game really went up another notch after the champs when they slotted him into the midfield.

Lions also lost Rich as well, so it's almost a like for like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft doesn’t seem as shallow as per some of the commentary. Mick Ablett has been staunch in his defence in the quality of the players available.

STK / Pablito doing nicely…
Theres a lot of quality in the role players and periphery players. Not much to build a team around after the first 12-15 though.

Imo perfect for where our list is at given theres plenty of promising players who could come in and play a role early without needing to become star players.

Pick 41 - St Kilda - Angus Hastie

I got the need..the need for speed.

Bamboo Harvester Up next with Richmond

Another good pick - it does show there's some serious quality in this draft....which is why I'm selecting:

Pick 42 - Richmond - Logan Morris (Western Jets)

Absolutely loved what Morris dished up in the champs. Richmond need a bit of firepower in their forward half as part if their rebuild, especially after losing Higgins and Butler from their premiership years, the premature retirement of Castagna, and the recent retirement of Riewoldt.

With their first pick, Koen Sanchez provides that spark in the forward half allowing Bolton to spend more time on ball. With the addition of Morris, it gives them more marking/goalkicking options.

"Logan Morris is a strong-marking forward who hits the scoreboard with great regularity and can also swing to defence...Morris' greatest strength is his aerial ability, particularly the realm of contested marking. Boasting bucket-like hands, the 191cm target reads the flight of the ball beautifully and clunks strong grabs at will." Rookiemecentral draft profile.

Next up bradfisher14 I believe

Pick 44 GWS - Lachlan Charleson
177CM 74KG

From Rookie Me Central
"
One of the best pressure forwards in this year’s draft pool,
Lachlan Charleson has traits that aren’t too dissimilar to West
Coast’s Noah Long. Charleson approaches the footy inside 50
like he’s at a stoppage, hitting the ball at 100 per cent when it
hits the deck and happily taking out any opponent in his way
before looking to quickly dish the ball off.
He has developed rapidly as a forward, kicking 17 of his 24 Talent
League goals for the season in his final five games with less
rotation into the midfield, able to show his ability as a marking
option as well.
Whilst a goal kicking return of 24.14 reads quite nicely,
Charleson may look to refine his set shot routine to maximize
his opportunities in front of the sticks, while also building some
consistency when playing at higher levels
"

Over to Fremantle ferrisb

All the players I was keen on were getting picked one by one, very frustrating - even for a phantom recruiter :mad:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back