2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Another good pick - it does show there's some serious quality in this draft....which is why I'm selecting:

Pick 42 - Richmond - Logan Morris (Western Jets)

Absolutely loved what Morris dished up in the champs. Richmond need a bit of firepower in their forward half as part if their rebuild, especially after losing Higgins and Butler from their premiership years, the premature retirement of Castagna, and the recent retirement of Riewoldt.

With their first pick, Koen Sanchez provides that spark in the forward half allowing Bolton to spend more time on ball. With the addition of Morris, it gives them more marking/goalkicking options.

"Logan Morris is a strong-marking forward who hits the scoreboard with great regularity and can also swing to defence...Morris' greatest strength is his aerial ability, particularly the realm of contested marking. Boasting bucket-like hands, the 191cm target reads the flight of the ball beautifully and clunks strong grabs at will." Rookiemecentral draft profile.

Next up bradfisher14 I believe

Dees will take Cooper Simpson here

JuddgementDay

Both great pick ups at this range

Pick 45 - Freo - Clay Hall

Inside-out midfielder from WA.

Big body mid (189cm, 87cm), who had played more on the outside (wing/HBF) leading into this year before becoming a bit of an inside bull for WA. Has clean hands and can use his size in the contest.

He's not the best kick from congestion and is more likely bash and crash than find his way free from a pack. Based on that, I don't think he's a great fit for Freo BUT..... he has good endurance and knows how to find the ball on the outside.

I think his kicking will improve if he's given more space and time and he might have the fitness to play FT wing.

I like his inside-out balance. The question is whether he is AFL standard at either. (Controversially?) I'd like to see him given an opportunity on the wing at AFL level - I see a Blake Acres type skillset. Similar size, good endurance, not an elite kick, but not bad. And his point of difference is that he has the size to outcontest opposition wingers and pinch hit as a mid.

I had actually written up another player here and was about to post. But I switched at the minute as Hall was a ways higher up my board. Hopefully my other guy lasts to my final pick.

Next up Sin City (I think)

Pick 46 - Sydney - Will Green

bradfisher14

Biggest theoretical bargain of this phantom so far. Listed at around 25 in most rankings.

Nick Watson @ 11 was pretty sexy recruiting.

Colby McKercher @ 6 and Collard @ 29 other notable theoretical value picks (selected notably later than expected).

Pick 48 - Hawthorn - Jack Callinan - Height: 179cm - Weight: 81kg - D.O.B: 07-10-2005

Another Tassie boy to pair with Colby McKercher.

Callinan's strengths are quite typical of any genuine small forward throughout the eras. He's crafty at ground level, reads the play well, and gets to dangerous positions to make use of his sharp goal sense. Averaging over two goals per his 11 Coates Talent League games this year, it's clear Callinan knows where the big sticks are.

He was kept goalless just thrice during the season, with two of those games predominantly spent roaming off half-back or in the midfield. Goals in quick bursts are common place for Callinan too; he kicked off the campaign with three in six minutes against Western, and booted four in the first quarter against the NT en route to seven overall.

That kind of scoreboard impact, with six of his 11 Devils games yielding multiple goals, can be game-turning. Callinan's pair of quick goals against Western Australia for the Allies got them going in term two, and he's the type of player who can spark his side in big moments with spurts of energy and plenty of niggle.

STRENGTHS:

• Clean hands
  • Footy IQ
  • Goal sense
  • Ground balls
  • Tackling

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Composure
  • Four-quarter consistency

Credit

North are up Soapy V

Pick 49 - North Melbourne Hadyn Crozier

Could probably pass and pick up as a DFA but doing it here

North have so much Youth they need some maturity and experience. 29 year old running defender with a great left foot and 140 AFL games under his belt. Clarko likes his type and he still has a lot of good football ahead of him

With Ziebell & Hall retiring and Logue injured the defence needs mature help

Coona Blues You’re Up

Last edited:
Pick 49 - North Melbourne Hadyn Crozier

Could probably pass and pick up as a DFA but doing it here

North have so much Youth they need some maturity and experience. 29 year old running defender with a great left foot and 140 AFL games under his belt. Clarko likes his type and he still has a lot of good football ahead of him
like it :thumbsupv1:

you've got the next 2x picks Coona Blues

Last edited:
Pick 50 - Western Bulldigs -Harvey Johnston - Sandringham Dragons/VIC Metro 183cm 79kg

Pick 51 - Western Bulldogs - Kane McAuliffe - North Adelaide/South Australia 187cm 86kg

A couple of “lefties” who give the ‘doggies a throw at the stumps for a midfield rebuild. Johnston had some very good moments through the season. McAuliffe has been very highly regarded and is a member of the Australian Academy, is a good chance to be a very good value selection, displaying some of his breakaway power and speed later in the season after a comparatively pedestrian “carnival”.

Johnston more a utility Mid/Fwd and MCAuliffe a highly rated inside mid who played the season with a few niggles impeding him to a degree

bradfisher14 think you are next

Last edited:
Pick 52 - Brisbane Lions - Will Lorenz - Oakleigh Chargers

Need some midfield depth after delisting Rhys Mathieson AKA Beast Mode.

you're up again Coona Blues

Reports confirm Western Bulldigs are to take three or four picks in the National Draft.

Have taken four, so probably should PASS

I do have a player I like a lot still the board, just don’t see him as a Dogs need.

Soapy V are you going again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North PASS

Will be focussing on bringing in some mature players after draft

Round One 2024

B: McDonald Pink Crozier
HB: Sheezel Corr DiMattea
C: Scott Wardlaw Curtain
HF: Ford CCJ Duursma
F: Zurhaar Larkey Spicer
Foll: Xerri LDU Simpkin
Int: Thomas Phillips Bergman Archer Goater

Plus: Stephens Stephenson Mahoney Reid George Jiath Harvey Lazzaro Curtis Comben Shiels Logue (inj)

That is as good a "potential" group as you will see on an AFL list

Last edited:
Pick 47 - Brisbane Lions - Aiden O'Driscoll - WA

Given that I'm the Lions list manager in this scenario, I am slightly concerned about the amount of minutes guys like Robertson and Berry get on the wing. Think we need a bit more zip on the outside and O'Driscoll fits the bill.

An absolute steal at this pick, think he goes in the 2nd round

Pick 55 - West Coast Eagles - Wil Dawson - Key Forward (Vic Country/Gippsland Power) 20/12/2005 200cm 86kg

Said on last pick I wanted to pick a couple of talls for WCE - let's face it, they need everything, but talls take longer to develop, so draft them first. Bolster the midfield next year.

Happy to see Dawson still on the board at this point. Fills that desire for a tall, and a versatile one at that. Not sure what his end position will be, but probably starts down back, perhaps to play a Petty-style role alongside McGovern and Barrass.

Mobile, good overheard, reads the play well. Think he'll get game time in 2024 for West Coast, as he develops, hopefully to become a permanent fixture when McGovern retires.

JuddgementDay GWS up next.

Pick 55 - West Coast Eagles - Wil Dawson - Key Forward (Vic Country/Gippsland Power) 20/12/2005 200cm 86kg

Said on last pick I wanted to pick a couple of talls for WCE - let's face it, they need everything, but talls take longer to develop, so draft them first. Bolster the midfield next year.

Happy to see Dawson still on the board at this point. Fills that desire for a tall, and a versatile one at that. Not sure what his end position will be, but probably starts down back, perhaps to play a Petty-style role alongside McGovern and Barrass.

Mobile, good overheard, reads the play well. Think he'll get game time in 2024 for West Coast, as he develops, hopefully to become a permanent fixture when McGovern retires.

JuddgementDay GWS up next.

WOW. I missed him. Could be a massive steal and a bottom ager

Pick 56 - GWS - Shaun Mannagh

I'm going with a mature aged pick and reward Shaun Mannagh for the great season that he had.

That will be the last pick for GWS - I'm passing all my remaining picks

ferrisb you are up

I F'ING HAD SHAUN MANNAGH ALL WRITTEN UP AND READY TO GO! I WAS SURPRISED HE HAD LASTED TO THE MID-50s AND WAS AMAZED HE WAS WITHIN MY GRASP. F YOU JuddgementDay! F YOU!!! Ahem.... I mean, excellent selection JD :p :p :p

Breathe ferris, breathe. So.....

Pick 56 - Fremantle - Tarkyn O'Leary

Running machine winger, who came first in the combine 2km with a time of 5:52.

He uses his fitness to run to space and present an open target. In more congested situations, he's got a burst of speed and is really agile. So he'll back himself to burst forward and take some ground before disposing of the ball.

Athleticism aside, he uses the ball really well. Has a nice kick, can find open players, hit targets. He's actually quite aggressive with his kick placement and will find (and often hit up) inboard targets.

While he works hard and uses his running, he doesn't get back to help out in defense as much as he could. I think this is trainable more than being an inherent weakness.

His one glaring weakness is his size. He's only 178cm and 70kg. So he ain't winning marking duels or too many contested situations. But I think his speed/endurance combo will mean he will burst away from most opponents.

I get nervous about running machines that are more athlete than footballer. But I think O'Leary's kicking sets him apart from those Billy Hartung, Harry Sharp types.

I see him as a budget Brad Hill style player. The combo of athleticism and kicking means there's enough to work with.

I have a few other players I like, but it appears that Fremantle will only take 3 picks. So I am done.

I think Bamboo Harvester is next. But I stuffed that up last time, so don't take my word for it.

I F'ING HAD SHAUN MANNAGH ALL WRITTEN UP AND READY TO GO! I WAS SURPRISED HE HAD LASTED TO THE MID-50s AND WAS AMAZED HE WAS WITHIN MY GRASP. F YOU JuddgementDay! F YOU!!! Ahem.... I mean, excellent selection JD :p :p :p

Breathe ferris, breathe. So.....

Pick 56 - Fremantle - Tarkyn O'Leary

Running machine winger, who came first in the combine 2km with a time of 5:52.

He uses his fitness to run to space and present an open target. In more congested situations, he's got a burst of speed and is really agile. So he'll back himself to burst forward and take some ground before disposing of the ball.

Athleticism aside, he uses the ball really well. Has a nice kick, can find open players, hit targets. He's actually quite aggressive with his kick placement and will find (and often hit up) inboard targets.

While he works hard and uses his running, he doesn't get back to help out in defense as much as he could. I think this is trainable more than being an inherent weakness.

His one glaring weakness is his size. He's only 178cm and 70kg. So he ain't winning marking duels or too many contested situations. But I think his speed/endurance combo will mean he will burst away from most opponents.

I get nervous about running machines that are more athlete than footballer. But I think O'Leary's kicking sets him apart from those Billy Hartung, Harry Sharp types.

I see him as a budget Brad Hill style player. The combo of athleticism and kicking means there's enough to work with.

I have a few other players I like, but it appears that Fremantle will only take 3 picks. So I am done.

I think Bamboo Harvester is next. But I stuffed that up last time, so don't take my word for it.
It's you again ferrisb , picks 58 and 59 are passes.

Tiggs have one last pick in the draft.

Pick 61 - Richmond - Nathan Philactides (Oakleigh Chargers)

Tigers previously selected Morris to team up with Koschitzke for more marking power up forward, as well as Sanchez to team up with Rioli Jr as the dangerous small forward combo.

Philactides provides a point of difference with his run and carry off half back, being a world class athlete in his own right. He's also had involvement down at Punt Rd previously, so they would have been keeping a close check on his progress. Also is a Tiggs supporter.

SNAPSHOT: “A run-and-gun defender with searing speed and agility, Nathan Philactides takes the game on with each possession.”

Nathan Philactides attacks across half-back like few others can, boasting high-end speed and pairing it with aggressive intent on the rebound. Coming from a hurdling background, athleticism forms the crux of his game and makes him difficult to contain in full flight.

The Oakleigh Chargers co-captain made his Coates Talent League debut in 2021 and was a mainstay this season aside from representative commitments. He was one of the few players to turn out for Vic Metro as a bottom-ager in 2022, and backed it up in 2023 having also earned AFL Academy selection.

A Richmond supporter, Philactides spent a week during preseason training with the Tigers and broke through for two VFL games in yellow and black. Current Tiger Daniel Rioli is one of the players he bases his game on. While invited to the National Combine, Philactides suffered a nasty-looking shoulder injury late in the Talent League season and did not participate in testing.

That's it for the Tiggs. Not sure if the Lions have already tapped out, but over to bradfisher14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back