AFLW AFW Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody bid for Robertson, but it was within her range so no biggie there.

I still think Good is a required player. She has been improving quite well at the level.

I would like to have 2 tall forwards.on the ground at all times. So that is Austin and Bree Moody or Austin and Good when Bree is rucking and Celine is on the pine potentially.

Dal Pos I agree with. She's often a weak link but revered as some kind of leader. I'm going to allow them the benefit of doubt as far as onfield leadership.
That's the thing though: that means we could have taken someone at 31, and our next pick would have paid for any bid.

Good is now the #3 ruck, and isn't a good forward. With the side arguably still lacking outright pace and elite endurance, we don't have room for shoehorning 3 rucks into the side.

We could have easily been in a situation with Pisano instead of Keck, and another player or two in the mix depending on how we opted to trade.

That's the thing though: that means we could have taken someone at 31, and our next pick would have paid for any bid.

Good is now the #3 ruck, and isn't a good forward. With the side arguably still lacking outright pace and elite endurance, we don't have room for shoehorning 3 rucks into the side.

We could have easily been in a situation with Pisano instead of Keck, and another player or two in the mix depending on how we opted to trade.

It did occur to me that we could have taken someone else and matched any bid with our next pick. I was hoping we would. I don't think we were ever going to delist another player late though, and put them at a disadvantage with limited spots left on other club's list. That would have been cruel.

This way, we get until the next preseason to see how Fitzpatrick is progressing, and then replace her with someone performing in the VFLW. Maybe Maddie Di Cosmo.

It did occur to me that we could have taken someone else and matched any bid with our next pick. I was hoping we would. I don't think we were ever going to delist another player late though, and put them at a disadvantage with limited spots left on other club's list. That would have been cruel.

This way, we get until the next preseason to see how Fitzpatrick is progressing, and then replace her with someone performing in the VFLW. Maybe Maddie Di Cosmo.
I agree with that, I just would have cut harder into the list.

I agree with that, I just would have cut harder into the list.

Dal Pos doesn't seem to fit our game going forward. She's old guard and not talented enough. I'm not sure why Ortlepp remains. I've seen maybe one or two good things she has done. Didn't get to see Tahlia Read. Not sure whether the players who don't get games are injured or not at the time, but when the VFLW season does not run concurrently with the AFLW season, what hope do they have to improve or earn selection? Right now, if we get an injury, we rotate the same players back in regardless of structure.

Oh, I also doubt the future of Lily Goss. She is a terrier and tackles well, but her skills are pretty bad for this level. I hope she can fix that with some continuity. I also thought Hendrie looked a little behind the pace at the level, but she's still 20 and she's very athletic so she has time.

I see good things in Finn and Tavan-Lawson.

I'm encouraged by this team moving forward. The competition for spots is coming. The forward structure is there now. Some flexibility is being built.

Pound, Cordner
Vickers, Peterson, Velardo

We can trust Pound, Peterson and Cordner back there. Duursma has also played back but prefers the wing now. Velardo was poised every time I saw her in defence and is strong. Vickers improved out of site in 2023. Both Vickers and Velardo can play midfield if required.

Duursma, Guerin, Sherar
C Moody, McKay, Hill

A good combination of run and grunt. A midfield of the future. Still too young to compete with the top teams but the talent is there.

Skepper, Austin, Brown
Vescio, B Moody

Some serious marking power here now, and some pressure when the ball hits the ground, considering we could have Keck and *Fitzpatrick adding to it. Skepper and Brown can also add to the midfield rotations.

Int: Good, Robertson, Finn, Keck, Lawson-Tavan

We maintain the 2 tall forwards and we have backup to rest a ruck or in case of injury in game. Robertson adds to the midfield rotation. Lawson-Tavan is the back-up tall defender, whilst Finn at the same height is more of a running medium defender who can go through the midfield ultimately. Keck may very well be in the forward line from the outset but she's got all the good to play first up.

*If Fitzpatrick gets back on the park, well then ... Darcy would want to be producing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back