Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Thank you Daisy, Imogen & Chloe

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm three changes to its AFLW playing list, with Daisy Walker, Imogen Milford and Chloe Wrigley informed that they will not be offered contracts.

Trade-Square.jpg

CARLTON defender Mua Laloifi has requested a trade to the Western Bulldogs and could be joined by North Melbourne midfielder Ellie Gavalas, but veteran onballer Kirsty Lamb is headed to Port Adelaide.

As revealed last week, Laloifi had been considering offers from both the Bulldogs and Sydney after being informed by Carlton that she would not be offered a new deal.
Laloifi could now become involved in pre-existing trade talks between the two sides, with AFL.com.au also revealing that Bulldogs ruck Celine Moody has requested a move to Carlton where she will join her twin sister Bre.

Okay, so trying to work this out.

We ended the season with 32 players on our list as a result of the injuries to Beatty and Guerin before the season started. We picked up Lawson-Tavan and Fitzgerald to replace them IIRC.

Retired
Phoebe McWilliams

Delisted
Chloe Wrigley
Imogen Milford
Daisy Walker

Traded Out
Mua Laloifi
Paige Trudgeon
Annie Lee

Traded In
Tarni Brown
Celine Moody
Yasmin Duursma

This leaves us with 28 players on our list. The 2024 list size is 30. With a long term injury to Erone Fitzpatrick, this leaves us with 27 active players so 3 to come in the draft.

I think I imagined Hendrie being delisted and Dal Pos retiring at some point. Not sure where my confusion came in. Might have been outs for the last game last year or something and my mind expanded on it.

We've brought in 3 players who will go straight into the senior side, after losing 2 such players and 3 rotation players.

Clearly we want more speed, run out of defence, and natural ball winners, so that can only help the make-up of our side long term.

My issues with what we've done are pretty straight foward:

1. What in the world are we going to do with Jess Good? Surely we're not playing 3 rucks, even in a forward rotation. Trade value gone begging there.

2. Why in the world did we throw away pick 25 for the Moody deal???

3. What are we getting out of Dal Pos that we couldn't get out of someone from the state leagues that has good footy IQ? Her legs have been shot for a while, and while her average output improved this year, she couldn't maintain the performances week to week.

We've brought in 3 players who will go straight into the senior side, after losing 2 such players and 3 rotation players.

Clearly we want more speed, run out of defence, and natural ball winners, so that can only help the make-up of our side long term.

1. What in the world are we going to do with Jess Good? Surely we're not playing 3 rucks, even in a forward rotation. Trade value gone begging there.

3. What are we getting out of Dal Pos that we couldn't get out of someone from the state leagues that has good footy IQ? Her legs have been shot for a while, and while her average output improved this year, she couldn't maintain the performances week to week.

I agree that all 3 acquisitions will be best 21 and we've lost one best 21 player who was 30 years old and starting to struggle with injury niggles.

Pick 25 seems a lot for Celine who is nowhere as good as her twin to date but they both still have a lot of years left in them. Our age old issue has been where to play Bree to get the best result and often wishing we had two of her. With any luck and consistent development beside her sister, we may have addressed that. I like Good and think she has made a heap of progress, but again she's around 30 years of age and is going to be spare parts now that we have another Moody in the side.

Agreed on Dal Pos. I haven't seen the worth since she first came to us. She seems to be highly rated at the club so must offer more than I see.

As far as I can tell, we will play Duursma on the wing, push Vickers back to half back, Brown as a high half forward, Bree Moody at FF, Celine as ruck, Austin as CHF. If Vescio can't pick up some loose ball with this forward setup, she's kidding herself. I'm quite excited by the run of Brown streaming towards goals. She in some way, makes up for the loss of Fitzpatrick for the season.

In the end, the compensation pick we got for Lucy McEvoy was spent on Celine Moody and Yasmin Duursma. That's a reasonable way to evaluate the deal. If they are both in our best team, that's decent dealing for us.

We go to the draft with 7, 28, 48 and 67 according to the AFLW site. Not sure where the 4th selection is coming from as that will take us to 32 selections with only 1 long term injury. Is there an extra spot allowable for the likes of Finn, or do we have a second LTI?

In the end, the compensation pick we got for Lucy McEvoy was spent on Celine Moody and Yasmin Duursma. That's a reasonable way to evaluate the deal. If they are both in our best team, that's decent dealing for us.

We go to the draft with 7, 28, 48 and 67 according to the AFLW site. Not sure where the 4th selection is coming from as that will take us to 32 selections with only 1 long term injury. Is there an extra spot allowable for the likes of Finn, or do we have a second LTI?
Rookies count towards total list numbers so unfortunately no extra spots.

The minimum number of picks to take in the draft has been reduced to 2, so another scenario is that we could take two and - pending Fitzpatrick going on the inactive list - sign an injury replacement at a later stage.

Agree though it’s more likely we make Fitzpatrick inactive and take the third pick. Highly unlikely she’d recover in time to play next season.

Rookies count towards total list numbers so unfortunately no extra spots.

The minimum number of picks to take in the draft has been reduced to 2, so another scenario is that we could take two and - pending Fitzpatrick going on the inactive list - sign an injury replacement at a later stage.

Agree though it’s more likely we make Fitzpatrick inactive and take the third pick. Highly unlikely she’d recover in time to play next season.
Have the dates for the 2024 season been confirmed yet? Would certainly impact any decision around Fitzpatrick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on the best 21 (sans Fitzpatrick):

FB: Pound Lawson-Tavan
HB: Duursma Cordner Vickers
C: Hill Peterson Goss
HF: Skepper C.Moody Vescio
FF: Brown Austin

R: B.Moody McKay Sherar

Int: Guerin, Anthony, Velardo, Keck, Robertson

EMG: Good, Finn, Ortlepp, Beatty, Dal Pos

List gets a bit thin on the ground after that.

Jess Good has improved year to year and is an integral part of the group off field, as well as on. Your dislike for her has always been a bit irrational in my opinion.

Brea Moody is arguably our most valuable player. Yesterday’s four year signing was likely influenced by the arrival of her sister. We now have the option of either rotating the sisters as key forwards, or playing one exclusively as a partner for the highly promising Mia Austin. Thinking there is still a place for Jess Good who has played a number of games where she played as a plus one behind the ball rotating through the ruck.

Dal Pos clearly seen as a leader and her best is very creative. Agree, it is hard to see her playing more than one more season. Thinking we may be looking at the next generation taking over forward of centre in the very near future.

We have effectively re vamped the midfield and forward line, with the big watch being the development of our youngsters in the back half. Plenty to work with, having Velardo, Finn and a couple of others showing promising signs last season.

Loving the fact that we are adopting a similar model to the men, systematically building the list and adding multiple players simultaneously to address perceived issues.

Jess Good has improved year to year and is an integral part of the group off field, as well as on. Your dislike for her has always been a bit irrational in my opinion.
I want a balanced side that can actually compete in terms of run, possession, and scoring. Good is a pure ruck, and Moody is not a great full-forward. What we're doing with the Moody twins is the same thing we tried to do with Kreuzer, and it doesn't work full time.

Playing all 3 guarantees this, and our kicking skills aren't good enough to take the limited height advantage this offers. I would have traded Good to a side that has need for a starting ruck, and would have let her thrive in that environment.
Brea Moody is arguably our most valuable player. Yesterday’s four year signing was likely influenced by the arrival of her sister. We now have the option of either rotating the sisters as key forwards, or playing one exclusively as a partner for the highly promising Mia Austin. Thinking there is still a place for Jess Good who has played a number of games where she played as a plus one behind the ball rotating through the ruck.
See above. Brea is an AA ruck, no doubt.
Dal Pos clearly seen as a leader and her best is very creative. Agree, it is hard to see her playing more than one more season. Thinking we may be looking at the next generation taking over forward of centre in the very near future.
Dal Pos was up one week, down the next, like clockwork. I think she has more value now as a coach. Of course, if the VFLW and AFLW seasons are going to overlap a lot more now, then perhaps there's more to be said for her on list value, but the AFLW should have upped list sizes.

Her athleticism has been poor from day dot with us.

We have effectively re vamped the midfield and forward line, with the big watch being the development of our youngsters in the back half. Plenty to work with, having Velardo, Finn and a couple of others showing promising signs last season.
Velardo is very talented, but I'm not sold on her as a long term defender given her general speed. I think she's more of a mid/fwd type, very much bullocking in her style, but we have a lot of those right now.

Our new look defence otherwise is composed of some of the oldest players on the team.
Loving the fact that we are adopting a similar model to the men, systematically building the list and adding multiple players simultaneously to address perceived issues.
The game style though... I really hope we've learned lessons in both leagues and from each other. No more long bomb crap.

I want a balanced side that can actually compete in terms of run, possession, and scoring. Good is a pure ruck, and Moody is not a great full-forward. What we're doing with the Moody twins is the same thing we tried to do with Kreuzer, and it doesn't work full time.

Playing all 3 guarantees this, and our kicking skills aren't good enough to take the limited height advantage this offers. I would have traded Good to a side that has need for a starting ruck, and would have let her thrive in that environment.

See above. Brea is an AA ruck, no doubt.

Dal Pos was up one week, down the next, like clockwork. I think she has more value now as a coach. Of course, if the VFLW and AFLW seasons are going to overlap a lot more now, then perhaps there's more to be said for her on list value, but the AFLW should have upped list sizes.

Her athleticism has been poor from day dot with us.

Velardo is very talented, but I'm not sold on her as a long term defender given her general speed. I think she's more of a mid/fwd type, very much bullocking in her style, but we have a lot of those right now.

Our new look defence otherwise is composed of some of the oldest players on the team.

The game style though... I really hope we've learned lessons in both leagues and from each other. No more long bomb crap.
Long bomb crap to my eye, started later in the season. Before that, they were much more into running it down the wings. Can't build Rome in a day Jimmae. It's changing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back