News AFLW List Changes/Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks AFL. We'll cop the spoon next year. I'm guessing you'll make up another round of concessions to take the first pick off us or randomly give Collingwood the pick for losing Molloy.

So we lose a former number 2 pick, a season after losing a former number 1 pick (and brownlow winner)

both for nothing.

Compensation for McEvoy walking will be in the next draft, so we remain s**t for a year longer and lose a year of development in a replacement player and no doubt it'll be a second round pick if anything, not two first rounds picks which is what she'd be worth in a trade.

And she walks because the swans are able to offer her a bigger and longer contract than we can offer her as they get to pay her outside the cap (like essendon with prespakis last season)

Meanwhile league ceo Nicole Livingston still hasn't been publicly sighted for almost a year now, last making an apperence at the swimming events instead of round 1 of the aflw last year.

Took the words out of my mouth drunkill (except Prespakis was pick 3). Losing our two highest draft picks for basically nothing, at a time we clearly need to retain top talent? Thanks AFL. Clearly being a foundation club counts for nothing.

Also pretty sure Lucy signed a two-year contract extension last year. Before the league decided to make said contracts useless 🙃

It seems you're getting the rough end of the pineapple. That sucks. But I'm celebrating - it's good for us.

So, how good is Lucy McEvoy? I don't know much about her other than she was a gun junior and has gone pretty well down back playing for you. What kind of a player is she? Lockdown? Intercepting and rebounding? Quick? Strong? What's her go?

It seems you're getting the rough end of the pineapple. That sucks. But I'm celebrating - it's good for us.

So, how good is Lucy McEvoy? I don't know much about her other than she was a gun junior and has gone pretty well down back playing for you. What kind of a player is she? Lockdown? Intercepting and rebounding? Quick? Strong? What's her go?
Are you for real?

Even if your post is “innocent” it is in exceptionally bad taste.

Our women’s program has been screwed over by the Mickey Mouse league and particularly “expansion clubs”. Your mob had blatant draft tampering ticked off by the AFL last year and clearly are offering some very lucrative “off the books” packages to a number of quality established players. COLA lives, the AFL clearly wants the women’s game promoted in Sydney.

Can I “politely” suggest you do some homework and get your information elsewhere?

dodgy shoulders, 2 recos already

This is what happens when you take a top 2 pick who showed best form as an inside mid as a junior, then plonk her in as the spare defender.

Zero development, zero clue.

She could do it as a junior but I don't think she has the tank or the athleticism to do it at the top level consistently.

Definitely needs a role where she's not expected to be running from one end of the ground to the other and be an aerobic beast.

Lucy McEvoy heading to Sydney via PSP 😢

The AFL is destroying the AFLW. The expansion clubs are going to climb the ladder rapidly thanks to AFL favoritism.

The AFL favor Melbourne’s AFLW team as well. They were gifted with an easy draw, whereas North Melbourne had to play every top side.

There are very dark times ahead for Carlton and St Kilda in the AFLW. These two clubs will be anchored to the bottom of the ladder. These two clubs are unable to attract big name players from other clubs, yet at the same time their talented players walk out the door at the drop of a hat.

The AFL are allowing Carlton’s AFLW side, and St Kilda‘s AFLW side to wither on the vine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL is destroying the AFLW. The expansion clubs are going to climb the ladder rapidly thanks to AFL favoritism.

The AFL favor Melbourne’s AFLW team as well. They were gifted with an easy draw, whereas North Melbourne had to play every top side.

There are very dark times ahead for Carlton and St Kilda in the AFLW. These two clubs will be anchored to the bottom of the ladder. These two clubs are unable to attract big name players from other clubs, yet at the same time their talented players walk out the door at the drop of a hat.

The AFL are allowing Carlton’s AFLW side, and St Kilda‘s AFLW side to wither on the vine.

St Kilda are likely to land Jesse Wardlaw and potentially also Jaime Lambert this trade period (also chasing Chiocci). Seems they’re already ahead of us in attracting in established talent.

Granted they’re probably losing Grieser, Shierlaw, and White, but think the incoming names evens that out a bit.

I'm going to search for the positives. We will get compensation, albeit next year. McEvoy is a strong player, good football brain, good overhead and has poise.

However, she is incredibly slow for a midfielder, thus the need to find another spot for her. I'm still shaking my head that with the draft hand we had two years running, that we went for slow midfielders, regardless of how smart they are. Our recruiters had no concept on how to build a balanced list.

We will struggle for another year no doubt, but hopefully we start getting some draft calls right. I'm bullish on Mia Austin and Keeley Skepper, and Maddie Guerin will be back.

Hill, McKay, Guerin, Skepper, Velardo is a good core for a midfield group. Sherar can be in there but has to improve her kicking and penetration. She's quick though.

She could do it as a junior but I don't think she has the tank or the athleticism to do it at the top level consistently.

Definitely needs a role where she's not expected to be running from one end of the ground to the other and be an aerobic beast.
Or an athletic program that actually seeks to turn junior footballers into better athletes.

While I can respect the physiological, salary, and professional differences and the influence they have, there are a sizeable number of AFLW players who need to think carefully about what they need to do to further the game alongside everyone else involved, and that needs to be professionally supported.

Last edited:
Or an athletic program that actually seeks to turn junior footballers into better athletes.

While I can respect the physiological, salary, and professional differences and the influence they have, there are a sizeable number of AFLW players who need to think carefully about what they need to do to further the game alongside everyone else involved, and that needs to be professionally supported.

Athleticism isn't something that can just be trained into someone.

There is that physical aspect limitation which no amount of training can change.

The problem with AFLW at present is they just recruit any body shape out of the juniors if they were decent at that level.

This is something that once happened in the men's game but over time it was phased out for far more detailed physical profiling.

McEvoy is a perfect example of a player who had a physical presence at a junior level where the pace of the game was slower and less intense.

At the senior level those advantages were no longer there and their game had to change because of it.

Athleticism isn't something that can just be trained into someone.

There is that physical aspect limitation which no amount of training can change.

The problem with AFLW at present is they just recruit any body shape out of the juniors if they were decent at that level.

This is something that once happened in the men's game but over time it was phased out for far more detailed physical profiling.

McEvoy is a perfect example of a player who had a physical presence at a junior level where the pace of the game was slower and less intense.

At the senior level those advantages were no longer there and their game had to change because of it.
I get all of that, I'm just certain that programs can be better tailored to extract what's required. I doubt she was being flagged for any poor endurance testing as a junior, and there's of course plenty of athletic data out there from other sports which can be used as a basis for comparison.

I'd be shocked if they're not doing basic fitness testing on juniors, mostly because they are. The data suggests the AFLW players at the top tier of athletic performance are maybe 6-10% behind where they might be in a fully realised talent pathway. The problem seems to be what happens after they're drafted.

Last edited:
I get all of that, I'm just certain that programs can be better tailored to extract what's required. I doubt she was being flagged for any poor endurance testing as a junior, and there's of course plenty of athletic data out there from other sports which can be used as a basis for comparison.

I'd be shocked if they're not doing basic fitness testing on juniors, mostly because they are. The data suggests the AFLW players at the top tier of athletic performance are maybe 6-10% behind where they might be in a fully realised talent pathway. The problem seems to be what happens after they're drafted.

It's hard to know what we did after drafting. I know we have a strength and conditioning coach in Steve Moore who has a fair resume.

Also an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach in Samantha Diamond, who is also the VFLW Strength and Conditioning club so there is some continuity there.

So, the club at least had these people in place.

This is utter nonsense... how many more years must we endure of putting up with this kinda crap?

Compo next year... fat load of good that will do this season

And all the top clubs will also get compensation. Either our compensation will be after the first round, or our draft pick for a low finish will be pushed back.

Carlton and Fremantle were the only non finals sides to lose a player to this next round of concessions. 4 finals sides lost players with Brisbane losing two.

All the attention has been on the poor Lions.

If you’re up for a depressing read today - only 9 players from our 2020 squad remain on the list 🙃

Respect that she has a lot of ground to cover with her writing every day, but that was a bit of a nothing article. Just a list of names.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back