News AFLW List Changes/Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Or an athletic program that actually seeks to turn junior footballers into better athletes.

While I can respect the physiological, salary, and professional differences and the influence they have, there are a sizeable number of AFLW players who need to think carefully about what they need to do to further the game alongside everyone else involved, and that needs to be professionally supported.
But but give us more money. Then we might train more and be professional.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Paywalled, but sounds like we are going to be part of a three-way trade.

• Richmond gets Greiser from St Kilda
  • Saints get Plane from us
  • We get Cordner from Richmond

Do I inform those that don’t know Cordner is coming off an ACL?

Her profile is excellent for our needs though KPD/ruck pinch hitter. 30yo, but proven player. Think a good get.

Not sure what we need a key defender for, but if we weren't going to play Plane as a defender, she's not much value to us.
We have been devoid of fit talls in the forward line, having a proven tall added to the list adds options in deploying our players around the park. Paige Trudgeon was drafted as a forward etc The departure of McEvoy has taken some starch from the defence, Cordner will add this.

Plane has become a fringe player, providing Cordner can get on the park, she gives us a positive outcome in a very compromised trade/draft period.

We have a good number of developing youngsters for peripheral roles, but have been short on experienced talls. We missed “new recruit” Phoebe McWilliams who became integral, albeit briefly, at 37 years old. Trudgeon, Austin, Gibbs, Milford, Ortlepp and ruck hybrid Good have some promise beside our dominant ruck Moody, but need development. On field mentoring becomes critical. Cordner can only be a positive on that front (comes from a very famous footy family too)

I think it is sound trading from Carlton. Plane had become fringe and it seems most people on BigFooty didn't want her on our list.

We never replaced Charlotte Wilson aside from Jess Jones who never got on the park. Cordner is an improvement.

Gives us some flexibility within the side if we don't have to play Laloifi or Peterson as undersized tall defenders.

Cordner will be 18 months post ACL when the season rolls around again.

I think it is sound trading from Carlton. Plane had become fringe and it seems most people on BigFooty didn't want her on our list.

We never replaced Charlotte Wilson aside from Jess Jones who never got on the park. Cordner is an improvement.

Gives us some flexibility within the side if we don't have to play Laloifi or Peterson as undersized tall defenders.

Cordner will be 18 months post ACL when the season rolls around again.
The thing is we're absolutely stocked on defenders, which I'm finding despite accounting for Peterson as a midfielder.

What it does prevent is us immediately falling back on Dal Pos, who I'm hoping is a backup player this season.

We have been devoid of fit talls in the forward line, having a proven tall added to the list adds options in deploying our players around the park. Paige Trudgeon was drafted as a forward etc The departure of McEvoy has taken some starch from the defence, Cordner will add this.

Plane has become a fringe player, providing Cordner can get on the park, she gives us a positive outcome in a very compromised trade/draft period.

We have a good number of developing youngsters for peripheral roles, but have been short on experienced talls. We missed “new recruit” Phoebe McWilliams who became integral, albeit briefly, at 37 years old. Trudgeon, Austin, Gibbs, Milford, Ortlepp and ruck hybrid Good have some promise beside our dominant ruck Moody, but need development. On field mentoring becomes critical. Cordner can only be a positive on that front (comes from a very famous footy family too)
Good is a ruck, pure and simple.

Milford hasn't fired a shot since joining us: we haven't developed her and she's arguably regressed through a lack of football. She's played 10 games total at any appropriate level since the start of July in 2021. That's nuts, and it's a common trend amongst our younger players that aren't immediate star quality, an issue further compounded by our lack of high performance progression.

The thing is we're absolutely stocked on defenders, which I'm finding despite accounting for Peterson as a midfielder.

What it does prevent is us immediately falling back on Dal Pos, who I'm hoping is a backup player this season.

She's a tall defender Jimmae. Can you list the tall defenders on our list?

I'm seeing Paige Trudgeon who is a converted forward ... and um ... Paige Trudgeon. Paige is 180cm.

Mua at 173cms is a little undersized and our own website describes her as a medium defender. She is really more suited for an in between 3rd defender role, like Plowman.

Vickers, Walker, Lee ... all small/medium defenders.

Remember trying to play Gibbs down back last season because Trudgeon missed a game? We still need that Lewis Young/Sam Durdin presence.

Welcome Harriet and thanks for your work in getting the team up and running Nat. Good luck to you both.

Agreed. Nat Plane did a hell of a lot for the team, but even in her better games of late, seemed to get the Plowman whipping girl treatment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Nat Plane did a hell of a lot for the team, but even in her better games of late, seemed to get the Plowman whipping girl treatment.
Saw her as a good all rounder with good instincts. Never seemed to cement a role.

Best 21 at the momnet:

FB: Laloifi Trudgeon
HB: Pound Cordner D.Walker
C: Hill Peterson Guerin
HF: B.Walker Ortlepp Vescio
FF: Austin Gibbs

R: Moody McKay Skepper

Int: Sherar, Lee, Goss, Vickers, O'Dea Velardo

I'm opting for Ortlepp over Velardo up forward, and for O'Dea over Velardo on the bench (EDIT: thought more about it, going with Velardo over O'Dea). We've got Victorian pick 2 in the top-up draft, so there's every chance we're going to get someone of high talent that will take over one of these spots, hopefully someone who can really run and dispose at speed.

She's a tall defender Jimmae. Can you list the tall defenders on our list?

I'm seeing Paige Trudgeon who is a converted forward ... and um ... Paige Trudgeon. Paige is 180cm.

Mua at 173cms is a little undersized and our own website describes her as a medium defender. She is really more suited for an in between 3rd defender role, like Plowman.

Vickers, Walker, Lee ... all small/medium defenders.

Remember trying to play Gibbs down back last season because Trudgeon missed a game? We still need that Lewis Young/Sam Durdin presence.
I specifically wrote 'defenders' and not 'tall defenders'. We have a lot of general defenders, but if it ejects Dal Pos into the coaches box I'm all for it.

Trudgeon should stay as a key defender, don't really care what she played as a junior. Her judgement is great and her speed is ok. Would have been fine as a forward 2 years ago, but the game has gone up a notch and her ability to read the play probably leave her in defence.

As it is, we're hoping that Gibbs, Austin, Cordner, Laloifi, Guerin, Vescio, O'Dea, Lee, and Milford are really focused on their fitness (and in some cases, injury rehab).

Saw her as a good all rounder with good instincts. Never seemed to cement a role.
Didn't have the right speed/strength combo for the contested midfield role she wanted, couldn't earn a spot in defence where she was best suited when running requirements went up.

Last edited:
Best 21 at the momnet:

FB: Laloifi Trudgeon
HB: Pound Cordner D.Walker
C: Hill Peterson Guerin
HF: B.Walker Ortlepp Vescio
FF: Austin Gibbs

R: Moody McKay Skepper

Int: Sherar, Lee, Goss, Vickers, O'Dea

I'm opting for Ortlepp over Velardo up forward, and for O'Dea over Velardo on the bench. We've got Victorian pick 2 in the top-up draft, so there's every chance we're going to get someone of high talent that will take over one of these spots, hopefully someone who can really run and dispose at speed

I feel like Velardo will get a spot no matter what. Her recruitment seemed to be one of those high profile ones the club pumped up and those types get getting games. I agree with Ortlepp up forward. Her cameos last year got better and better.

If we stay injury free, it's not a terrible looking lineup.

I specifically wrote 'defenders' and not 'tall defenders'. We have a lot of general defenders, but if it ejects Dal Pos into the coaches box I'm all for it.

That's all I'm saying. A tall defender is good trading. If she was a medium, I'd agree it would be a weird trade. Definite area of need.

I feel like Velardo will get a spot no matter what. Her recruitment seemed to be one of those high profile ones the club pumped up and those types get getting games. I agree with Ortlepp up forward. Her cameos last year got better and better.

If we stay injury free, it's not a terrible looking lineup.

That's all I'm saying. A tall defender is good trading. If she was a medium, I'd agree it would be a weird trade. Definite area of need.
Went back and looked at Velardo's season after posting that as I knew she was talented with the football in hand, I've put her onto the bench instead of O'Dea, who is another we need to start moving on from.

I don't think we need to rely on any of the remaining old hands in O'Dea, McWilliams, and Dal Pos, and that's a good spot to be in.

She was a turnover merchant and should never have been given the two year deal. She had a crack but was not up to it unfortunately.

She was a turnover merchant and should never have been given the two year deal. She had a crack but was not up to it unfortunately.

That's a little simplistic. She had some good moments and over her years at the club, had some very good games. I think we can be a little bit respectful.

I don't think we need to rely on any of the remaining old hands in O'Dea, McWilliams, and Dal Pos, and that's a good spot to be in.

After our departures and compromised drafts, things could certainly be worse.

But ... can we get a coach already?

Last edited:
That's a little simplistic. She had some good moments and over her years at the club, had some very good games. I think we can be a little bit respectful.
Not saying she didn't have her moments but when she had ball in hand did you ever feel comfortable that she would hit a target? Like I said giving her a two year deal was ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back