News AFLW List Changes/Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

THE Carlton Football Club has made three changes to the Club’s AFLW playing list with Poppy Schaap, Charlotte Hammans and Jessica Jones informed they will not be offered contracts for season eight.

Delistings20Dec.png

Hammans and Jones I was expecting, but thought Schaap may have had another shot.

Yet still persisting with Plane.

Plane is very fringe but she is better than the three delisted.

No real surprise there, though I'm disappointed to see Poppy leave the club. Has her physical limitations but she's a real goer.

As said above, I'm perplexed by what the club continues to see in Nat Plane. She's extraordinarily fortunate to have once again survived the cull.

No real surprise there, though I'm disappointed to see Poppy leave the club. Has her physical limitations but she's a real goer.

As said above, I'm perplexed by what the club continues to see in Nat Plane. She's extraordinarily fortunate to have once again survived the cull.

The cynic in me wonders if her being our only indigenous player is a factor in her longevity. Being one of the originals is another reason.

Did we really delist a player that kicked half our goals in the last two games...

Should probably look at the total of her games, not just the end result. Not quick, can't kick, pushed off the ball easily, not enough forward pressure. She got on the end of a couple, and that was great at the time, but compared to every other team's best small forwards, unfortunately she just doesn't rate. It's a real area of weakness for us.

Should probably look at the total of her games, not just the end result. Not quick, can't kick, pushed off the ball easily, not enough forward pressure. She got on the end of a couple, and that was great at the time, but compared to every other team's best small forwards, unfortunately she just doesn't rate. It's a real area of weakness for us.
Yep pint-sized, pedestrian Poppy is not the answer. Kid is a trier and got on the end of a couple late, but is extremely limited. A couple of others a bit lucky to survive the cut.

Did we really delist a player that kicked half our goals in the last two games...

Yep pint-sized, pedestrian Poppy is not the answer. Kid is a trier and got on the end of a couple late, but is extremely limited. A couple of others a bit lucky to survive the cut.

I've lost count over the years of just how often you'll see some unknown player kick a few goals late in the season for a non-finals playing team. Clubs often fool themselves into thinking that there is something there for the future. Then, not so surprisingly, you never hear much (if anything) from those players and they're inevitably delisted a year or two after they should have been.

It genuinely happens almost every year at multiple clubs.

What's clearly happened here is that they realize that she doesn't have the physical tools to play at the level, they've rewarded her hard work throughout the season (which is echoed in the club statement) with a couple of games, she's done okay with what is effectively dead rubber games, but the fact remains that we don't see her possessing the required tools.

Delistings20Dec.png

Nothing shocking there.
Honestly, I'm disappointed for Hammans, but she had to work harder and get into the senior team or she was always going to miss out on important development steps given there's no reserves competition.

She had talent, but she wasn't fit enough to capitalise on it in the last 2 seasons. Milford is facing the same pressure now.

We also need to look at discarding O'Dea and McWilliams ASAP, likewise Plane if she can't play defence. We can surely do better than this on field through free agency, trade, and the draft.

The cynic in me wonders if her being our only indigenous player is a factor in her longevity.
Yeah, at the end of the 2019 season when Kirby Bentley was delisted, the club was thinking of also delisting Nat Plane.

But they were worried that Madison Prespakis would play 3 more seasons and then join Essendon, leaving no indigenous players on the list for Season Seven, so of course Plane had to stay...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plane has been there from the start and has no improvement left but we get rid of a 19yo kid.

We are a young side already so her age is irrelevant. That 19 year old kid wasn't up to it unfortunately and I doubt she plays much, if any AFLW football somewhere else.

Plane isn't up to it and hasn't been for years but she is still there.

Perhaps, but she was still better than those delisted and that is the only point being made.

Perhaps, but she was still better than those delisted and that is the only point being made.
In your view. My view is Plane is a limited player with limited skills who averaged 4.8 touches compared to a 19yo small forward who averaged 4.5 touches and hit the scoreboard.

Harford knows best I guess

In your view. My view is Plane is a limited player with limited skills who averaged 4.8 touches compared to a 19yo small forward who averaged 4.5 touches and hit the scoreboard.

Harford knows best I guess

I'm not trying to talk Plane up as a best 21 player, far from it. You are just looking at season 7 stats which is a small sample. I'm talking the eye test, which tells me that Schaap can't kick, is too tiny to be physical and is not quick at all.

It is my view, but ... it's also the club's view so I feel validated there.

I'm not trying to talk Plane up as a best 21 player, far from it. You are just looking at season 7 stats which is a small sample. I'm talking the eye test, which tells me that Schaap can't kick, is too tiny to be physical and is not quick at all.

It is my view, but ... it's also the club's view so I feel validated there.
That's fair, but not like the club have let players go that have gone on to play well elsewhere whilst keeping players like Plane year after year who will not improve us as a team going forward.

For a club that has basically gutted it's forward line over the last couple of years to get rid of someone who hit the scoreboard in what little opportunities she had is disappointing. Guess we leave it up to Vescio to kick all our goals again next season.

Losing a No: 2 Draft pick without being able to trade for another player really sucks.

We will receive a compo pick but nowhere near the true trade value of losing Lucy who was able to walk to another Club.

Damn PSP :mad:

Carlton is now unable to lose any further players through the PSP period, having finished in the bottom half of the ladder, and any compensation will be in the form of picks for the draft ahead of the 2024 season, when top-age juniors are added back into the pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back