2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo Summary:

Pick 34 – Jack Delean - Small Forward

Goal kicking machine, with good hands and great goal instincts. Doesn't do much else though and not sure how much room there is for an old-school fwd pocket these days. A bit annoyed with this one. Was also eyeing off Angus Hastie and Cooper Simpson at this pick and have a bit of buyer's regret. I think I put too much emphasis on needs over best available here. Plays like Jack Ginnivan / budget Jamie Elliot.

Pick 45 - Clay Hall - Inside/outside mid

Made the U18 AA squad as a starting midfielder. Big bodied mid, but has good running capacity and can play outside too. Despite playing for Peel and WA as an inside mid, I'd like to see him develop into a Blake Acres type large winger at AFL level.

Pick 56 - Tarkyn O'Leary - small winger

Running machine (1st in combine 2km trial at 5:52). Also has a burst of speed and good agility. Will find space, use his pace, take ground and then pull off difficult kicks that break the game open. Doesn't get a heap of the ball, but I like his combo of athleticism/kicking. Plays like budget Brad Hill.

Stuff

Everything I have read says Freo will use three picks. So I'm done. Weirdly I am happier with my later picks than my 1st.

Sorry for holding up the draft with each of my first two picks. I had my 3rd write-up ready to go only to have my choice selected the pick right before mine. Equal parts List/Anger Management :p

Freo Summary:

Pick 34 – Jack Delean - Small Forward

Goal kicking machine, with good hands and great goal instincts. Doesn't do much else though and not sure how much room there is for an old-school fwd pocket these days. A bit annoyed with this one. Was also eyeing off Angus Hastie and Cooper Simpson at this pick and have a bit of buyer's regret. I think I put too much emphasis on needs over best available here. Plays like Jack Ginnivan / budget Jamie Elliot.

Pick 45 - Clay Hall - Inside/outside mid

Made the U18 AA squad as a starting midfielder. Big bodied mid, but has good running capacity and can play outside too. Despite playing for Peel and WA as an inside mid, I'd like to see him develop into a Blake Acres type large winger at AFL level.

Pick 56 - Tarkyn O'Leary - small winger

Running machine (1st in combine 2km trial at 5:52). Also has a burst of speed and good agility. Will find space, use his pace, take ground and then pull off difficult kicks that break the game open. Doesn't get a heap of the ball, but I like his combo of athleticism/kicking. Plays like budget Brad Hill.

Stuff

Everything I have read says Freo will use three picks. So I'm done. Weirdly I am happier with my later picks than my 1st.

Sorry for holding up the draft with each of my first two picks. I had my 3rd write-up ready to go only to have my choice selected the pick right before mine. Equal parts List/Anger Management :p
I guess from a Carlton perspective, it shows that there's still a lot of talent outside of the top end of the draft.

Richmond don't even enter the draft until after our 2nd pick, and I was rapt with the players that still were available at those picks.

Pick 32 - Koen Sanchez
Pick 42 - Logan Morris
pick 61 - Nathan Philactides (although it was a toss up between him and Kade Del A Rue).

GWS Summary:

As a first time recruit manager, I found the Phantom Draft challenging but enjoyable.

It was hard after spending countless hours watching these players over the years and then having them taken just before your pick (not really, I didn't do much prep for this Phantom Draft) :eek:

GWS have a balance list atm, so I've mainly gone for best available.
I'm quite happy with my 4 selections: two big and two small players.
I've locked in the big players first, as it is harder to find quality tall players and then gone for smaller players at the later selections.

Having O'Sullivan along with Taylor, GWS will be able to handle any big bodied forwards in years to come

After securing a KPD, Mitch Edwards was locked in as a future ruckman. A bit of a reach here, maybe.
But, I didn't want to miss out on Mitch Edwards who is a tall and mobile, has excellent ruck craft and is quite skilful.

Around five players that I've had earmarked for GWS third pick was all taken, so I've had to dig a bit harder and found Lachlan Charleson, a small pressure forward who will complement all the talent that GWS has already.

With the last pick, I just wanted to reward Shaun Mannagh for the great season that he has had.
I didn't want him to go undrafted - I didn't know that ferrisb was keen on him :p

Episode 4 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

Selections:

Pick 9 - GWS Connor O'Sullivan

Key Defender 198cm/82kg

Pick 20 GWS - Mitch Edwards
Ruck 206cm/88kg

Pick 44 GWS - Lachlan Charleson
Small Forward 177cm/74kg

Pick 56 GWS - Shaun Mannagh
Small Forward

Last edited:

We all know that the Blues are only taking two picks and promoting Cotts, but for the exercise I am taking a pick. We don’t need another undersized key/3rd tall defender, but this bloke has class, leadership and elite disposal.

A pick that should have been taken dozens earlier.

Below is an extract from the article naming the U18 All Australian team.

Back Pocket
William Patton
(South Australia/West Adelaide/Mitcham)
Date of Birth: 04/01/05; Height 193cm
Composed defender who captained his state at the Championships. Showed he can play on taller or smaller opponents to great effect. A left footer, he used the ball exceptionally well by hand and foot setting up the play from the back half. Averaged 17 disposals at 89.7 per cent efficiency, 4.8 marks and 5.5 rebound 50s, with his intercepting ability another of his assets.

Love this guy, earlier in the season was in first round discussions. his only “go slow” was to play in a very poor SA state side. His form earned him All- Australian recognition.

Pick 62 - Carlton - Will “The General” Patton West Alelaide/South Australia.

Sliders do happen…

TerryWallet for the Cats

We all know that the Blues are only taking two picks and promoting Cotts, but for the exercise I am taking a pick. We don’t need another undersized key/3rd tall defender, but this bloke has class, leadership and elite disposal.

A pick that should have been taken dozens earlier.

Below is an extract from the article naming the U18 All Australian team.

Back Pocket
William Patton
(South Australia/West Adelaide/Mitcham)
Date of Birth: 04/01/05; Height 193cm
Composed defender who captained his state at the Championships. Showed he can play on taller or smaller opponents to great effect. A left footer, he used the ball exceptionally well by hand and foot setting up the play from the back half. Averaged 17 disposals at 89.7 per cent efficiency, 4.8 marks and 5.5 rebound 50s, with his intercepting ability another of his assets.

Love this guy, earlier in the season was in first round discussions. his only “go slow” was to play in a very poor SA state side. His form earned him All- Australian recognition.

Pick 62 - Carlton - Will “The General” Patton West Alelaide/South Australia.

Sliders do happen…

TerryWallet for the Cats
Was my second choice to Dawson. Went for the taller option.

I had Patton lined up too Coona. Your 2nd sentence in your prelude was virtually word for word for Me as Geelong. So onto my next option.

Pick 63. Geelong Kade DeLaRue Mid/Fwd

The drawback for Kade is the question mark on his AFL athleticism. Not that he's unathletic, but he's not high level athletic. There's always a reason why players drop to here. But he's still got other qualities that can make him a chance here. His assets that i really rate are "one touch" and "strong over the ball" even though he is very young (late nov) and still fairly light.

Clean, one touch players are always a chance to make it amongst the best, so i'm happy to take a shot with him at the Cattery. Geelong need to accrue some mid types. And this young fella has growth to come and an already good game.

Blugazi is up for the Pies i think as GWS are out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 68 - West Coast Eagles - Sam Van Rooyen - Key Forward (WA/Claremont) 24/02/2005 193cm 83kg

Gone for another mid-sized key forward. Brother of Jacob. Good kick, good mark. Perhaps not a need given I've already picked Luke Lloyd, but like to fill out my talls first. Think WC will be at the pointy end of the draft again next year, and look to focus on mids and outside runners then. Perhaps hedging my bets here between SVR and Lloyd.

TerryWallet next

Last edited:
Pick 66. Geelong Evan Smith 201/89 Ruck/KPF

Cats need to take a crack at a forward. They had a good go at Ollie Lord in the trade period, and it is a position of need. I like the small snapshot i've got of Evan Smith, who is a young West Australian. He is listed as a Ruck/KPF but i am definately drafting him as a KPF/Ruck. He is a Forward and chopout ruck in my view. He himself says he likes the ruck but sees himself as a forward first.

He has good hands, good mobility and good effort. So with my coveted pick from the drawnout Port deal, i am hoping for the next Larkie, Lewis, Amarty or Lord. A late drafted KPF.

Ninja Worrier for the Crowbots

Pick 66. Geelong Evan Smith 201/89 Ruck/KPF

Cats need to take a crack at a forward. They had a good go at Ollie Lord in the trade period, and it is a position of need. I like the small snapshot i've got of Evan Smith, who is a young West Australian. He is listed as a Ruck/KPF but i am definately drafting him as a KPF/Ruck. He is a Forward and chopout ruck in my view. He himself says he likes the ruck but sees himself as a forward first.

He has good hands, good mobility and good effort. So with my coveted pick from the drawnout Port deal, i am hoping for the next Larkie, Lewis, Amarty or Lord. A late drafted KPF.

Ninja Worrier for the Crowbots
Interesting, I would have had him behind Coen Livingstone from watching both. Did you give CL any consideration?

Interesting, I would have had him behind Coen Livingstone from watching both. Did you give CL any consideration?

No i didn't. Smith is a bit polarising. I've seen him ranked pretty low by some but pretty good by some. That is essentially the essence of picks this low isn't it. They have peeps who quite like some things they see/hear, and some who don't.

I quite like Smith's upside as a late pick. Think he has something to his game. And he has a genuine position that teams around the league always seem to require, competing KPF/Ruck. Hell, even Billy Frampton is a Premiership hero lol.

Smith got a national combine invite, so at least 5 Clubs like him enough. I see something too.

Pick 74. Geelong Sam Clohessy

Geelong pick 20yo Sam to join younger brother Ted who they drafted last year. Both are local Falcons boys.

Sam had a great year with Werribee this year.

That's the Cats done.

Over to the Port List Manager esoteric, the most patient man in history after waiting for 2 weeks for Mackie to pinch pick 96 off him, then waiting 75 Picks to enter here. Fire away man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back