2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

When opportunity knocks…

We have debated long and hard what our needs are this off-season. Forwards (added Fantasia and Hollands via trade), developing KPD, pacy midfielder and some offering defensive runners for post Saad, Newman, Williams, Docherty.

I like some of the small forward options, but have reservations on all bar Sanchez. Tholstrup gone, Moir was underwhelming this last season, but his skills remain and reportedly hampered by groin/hip during season. Many Arr0w spruiking Edwards who I liked when viewing his highlights, but his body of work is not prolific, his numbers at the business end of the season when the state players returned were ordinary. I like ZZ as a slow developing KPD option, but is a little speculative.

Sorry to prattle on, but wanted some perspective.
So…

Carlton bids on Gold Coast Suns Academy Mid/defender Will Graham. Wickzki you are already in deficit for ‘24.

I offer a brief snapshot from Rookie Me Draft Central for those not familiar with him. Potential defender when the old boys move on, but a genuine burst midfielder who tested brilliantly from an athletic perspective at the combine

SNAPSHOT: “Will Graham is an explosive ball winner most accustomed to playing in midfield, but more recently converting into a defender.”
Gold Coast’s Academy has rightly garnered plenty of spotlight this year, with three graduates likely to be taken within the first 15 picks. Perhaps one Sun who has flown under the radar as a result is Will Graham, an explosive athlete and genuine draft prospect in his own right.
A product of Palm Beach Currumbin, the midfielder-turned-defender has played plenty of footy alongside fellow Suns Jed Walter and Ethan Read. He represented Queensland at Under 17 level and was selected for the annual Futures showcase last year, despite twice tearing his meniscus.
While Walter, Read, and Jake Rogers earned AFL Academy honours, Graham went about his business for Gold Coast in a full Academy Series stint, proving one of the side’s most consistent performers. Having largely played on-ball there, he was squeezed out to defence in the championship-winning Allies side.
Graham also broke through for a VFL berth this year, playing four games with the Suns – all against AFL-aligned opposition. He booted his maiden goal on debut with an assist from fellow first-gamer, Rogers. Off the field, Graham was also a standout at the recent National Draft Combine, blitzing the power-based tests.

Geez, thought I could pull a swifty. Wick informed me by PM (just read) when I gave him a heads up, that he would be matching everything still counts, regardless of deficit. Not sure how that works with AFL rules, but guess I will have to go again.
Back soon, had the other prepared and just back from an aqua therapy session. Give me a few minutes team.

OK my two “bankers” are from WA. One a small forward, and with Orazio signed, less of a need that the other. With West Coast picking next and missing Curtin

Pick 28(I think) - Carlton selects Zane Zakostelsky - Claremont - Western Australia. 196cm, 89kg (Notably) 14/12/‘2005

Will complete bio soon. Bletch you are up.

Has to be good, “from a basketball background”.

Rarely is a project player taken this high in a draft, however lack of alternates with the right skill set prompted the decision.
ZZ played an adequate defensive role in a couple of carnival games for WA. Did little wrong, but deployed deep predominantly as a stopper.

Rose to greater prominence through his deeds in the WAFL Colts competition especially multiple “best on” performances in finals. Not in his usual role of defender, but as an undersized, athletic ruck against genuine state representative rucks. Covers ground, follows up and ultra competitive. His work rate and attack on the ball paint his as a player with enormous upside. WA colts is not an elite competition and I tend to factor down WA kids who do not shine aat the carnival, however his eye catching dominance created a big impression with many watchers.

Was again prominent with some outstanding figures at the recent draft combine after earlier running a sub 3 second 20m at pre season testing. Speed, endurance, agility and “hops”. His disposal remains adequate, but realistically is not a strength. He has demonstrated aerial prowess Only recently committing to the game, he has plenty of “upside”.

Introduced to the game down back, excelled in the ruck out of necessity and untried elsewhere. ZZ would be afforded the luxury of a slow and thorough development through our program. We currently have Weiters with two mature big boppers as back up and three slightly undersized key position players competing for (likely) two spots in a preferred combination with Weiters. His closing speed and athleticism while being genuine KP size would perfectly complement Weitering.

He would realistically have the luxury of a three year development in the twos unless he forced the case for earlier elevation. His ability to compete in the ruck may also be of some value at the higher level down the track. I would suspect an extended apprenticeship could/should also include some exposure in the front half to explore any possibilities.

With the Campo boys and soon drafts compromised by Tassie draft concessions, I am reluctant to pass up on a young player with so much upside. He has a December birthday so will be one of the very youngest in this draft and absolutely is one with enormous upside.

Last edited:
Hope GC don't think their academy players will all get bid on as early as this Phantom does. If they do think that, they may well trade out of some of those 20's picks that we hope get swallowed up.

I'm hoping a favourable trade to North in the trade period results in Walter maybe being bid on at 3 instead of 2. That alone saves them a few hundred points. Then hope they get an indication that some of their other 3 maybe drop a few places like off limits players tend to sometimes do.

Fingers crossed.

Hope GC don't think their academy players will all get bid on as early as this Phantom does. If they do think that, they may well trade out of some of those 20's picks that we hope get swallowed up.

I'm hoping a favourable trade to North in the trade period results in Walter maybe being bid on at 3 instead of 2. That alone saves them a few hundred points. Then hope they get an indication that some of their other 3 maybe drop a few places like off limits players tend to sometimes do.

Fingers crossed.

Think they would have traded their F1 into this year if that was the case. Until they show they can put it together with Dimma it holds premium value and would have made the picks easier to match

Think all of them have been bid at reasonable positions talent wise but also think the reality is that you'll be closer to accurate. Teams will prioritise talent they can get after the 1st round talents.

Pick 29 - West Coast Eagles - Lance Collard - Small Forward (WA/Subiaco) 26/03/2005 180cm 65kg

Very tempting to see if he gets past pick 40, when the Eagles can pick him up as an NGA product. But ultimately, don't think he'd be likely to get this far in the draft, let alone another dozen spots, so grabbing him now while I can.

Adds some sparkle to the forward line, and expect him to get plenty of game time in 2024. Very high ceiling, a nightmare match-up for defenders - quick, agile, good overheard, great goal sense.

Has been some question marks over him, and perhaps interstate sides may shy away. But at pick 29, could be the steal of the draft.

Think it's Geelong up next TerryWallet

Great pick Bletch. Really think he'll go earlier. Personally doubt he gets past North. I went into this draft for Geelong thinking Best Available everywhere are Next Gen Geelongs needs, except for small forward. But i couldn't have overlooked Collard if he reached my pick here. Now i can stick to my original gameplan lol.

Pick 30. Geelong Joel Freijah 190cm 88kg Wing

I think all players available to me here have some question marks, of course. But Freijah is a powerful running prospect that i think has tools to make him an AFL player. He is only young being a mid Nov birthdate, so he is going to be a powerful unit once Geelong do their magic with him in development.

Unfortunately he doesn't fully take advantage of his height yet, as he is not great overhead. But he does use his size, speed and power to get to the ball and to take players on with confidence. Great endurance too. Maybe a little like "Fingertips" Acres.

Coona Blues for the Blues.

Pick 31 - Carlton - Ashton Moir - Glenelg/South Australia - 187cm 85kg

Already tough selecting here. In reality the best two prospects here are rucks. Then I started typing Koen Sanchez before getting to his height and realising we are not playing more than three small forwards. With Fantasia, Motlop and Durdin my picks and some bloody good blokes maybe not getting a gig. I did not want to recruit our next under sized midfielder.

Moir was exhilarating as an underager. He arguably has the best disposal in the draft class(perhaps not arguably) Dual sided. He showed glimpses this year, but his body of work was not as large as was expected. It is conjecture that only SA insiders would know why his output was limited. Did he lack a thirst for the contest, or was he indeed suffering from hip and/or groin issue as reported by some. Part of his state’s leadership group, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Was guaranteed top 5 in pre season rankings as a hybrid forward type. Will have time to develop and rehab any physical issues and strengthen his body under the tutelage of one Jack Russell. I am not 100% sold on this selection, but all possibilities (bar rucks) have big questions. Our disposal/ball retention absolutely need an upgrade. This is Moir’s massive point of difference and what led to the selection here.

Bamboo Harvester

Already tough selecting here. In reality the best two prospects here are rucks. Then I started typing Koen Sanchez before getting to his height and realising we are not playing more than three small forwards. With Fantasia, Motlop and Durdin my picks and some bloody good blokes maybe not getting a gig. I did not want to recruit our next under sized midfielder.

Moir was exhilarating as an underager. He arguably has the best disposal in the draft class(perhaps not arguably) Dual sided. He showed glimpses this year, but his body of work was not as large as was expected. It is conjecture that only SA insiders would know why his output was limited. Did he lack a thirst for the contest, or was he indeed suffering from hip and/or groin issue as reported by some. Part of his state’s leadership group, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Was guaranteed top 5 in pre season rankings as a hybrid forward type. Will have time to develop and rehab any physical issues and strengthen his body under the tutelage of one Jack Russell. I am not 100% sold on this selection, but all possibilities (bar rucks) have big questions. Our disposal/ball retention absolutely need an upgrade. This is Moir’s massive point of difference and what led to the selection here.

Bamboo Harvester

I wonder whether the same Carlton recruiters who loved Lemmey have the same love for Moir. Both very similar trajectories from junior year to top age year. Moir is certainly intriguing, as was Lemmey. We have certainly indicated that we are fairly confident of getting our target here. It could be someone like Moir. Of course it may not be either though.

One of the great interest picks in the draft. Who when and where, for him?

Bamboo Harvester
Does he play anything like Troy Menzel? That's who I was thinking of when reading your review

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he play anything like Troy Menzel? That's who I was thinking of when reading your review
I suppose there are some similarities, but Moir’s ceiling, I would think is higher. Brilliant kick off either foot, while he is not slow, relies more on agility than pace to create space. That being said it is a fair argument to believe he has had in his core through ‘23. Kicks goals and hits targets. Also projects as someone who could transition to that back half distributor role as well. Good enough aerially to play as a third tall option, shapes as the smart high impact for relatively low possession type who could take over the Jack Martin role.

In fairness, I think he is more Martin than Menzel, perhaps even down to the niggles restricting his output somewhat. It is quite possibly a boom or bust pick. TerryWallet’s comparison to the Lemmey pick is quite astute.

Bamboo Harvester

Bayley Fritsch
188cm 86kg
National Draft pick #31

Fritsch as a third forward also isn’t high volume but every possession hurts the opposition.
Almost identical in stature and both ooze class.
If Moir turns out like Fritsch, you should be receiving a call from Austin, Coona 👍

Bayley Fritsch
188cm 86kg
National Draft pick #31

Fritsch as a third forward also isn’t high volume but every possession hurts the opposition.
Almost identical in stature and both ooze class.
If Moir turns out like Fritsch, you should be receiving a call from Austin, Coona 👍
Sounds fair, if he's the next Bailey Fritsch, Austin can have Coona. If he's the next Jordan Houlahan we get to keep him

Bamboo Harvester next time, please write full name and tag who is up next.

Brisbane are up bradfisher14
Bloody hell, I was out for the afternoon and my phone decided to have a complete seizure...having said that, it's been on life support for a while now. I normally post from my PC.

Yep, Koen Sanchez was my pick for the Tiggies - write up to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back