VFL Carlton Reserves 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Heath Ramshaw and Liam McMahon have re-signed with the Carlton Reserves.

Ramshaw joined the Reserves in 2021, making four appearances in the side in 2022 in its run to September. Cementing his spot in the side, the 19-year-old played 16 matches with the Blues’ VFL side last season.

After being drafted to Collingwood, McMahon joined the VFL Blues in 2023 where he played 17 games, kicking 18 goals with multiple games — including two four-goal hauls.
Carlton VFL Coach Luke Power said he was delighted to retain the promising duo.

Sam Philp not returning, off to Port Melbourne

To look at it from the perspective of VFL depth complimenting the developing group and backups, I'll use my previously posted best 22 - with Elijah Hollands in the final spot - and keep Pittonet, Newman, Cincotta, Corey Durdin, and Cottrell out of selection contention as well:

FB: M.Carroll S.Durdin Young
HB: Boyd Young Cowan
C: Wilson Motlop Binns
HF: Cahill O'Keeffe Moir
FF: Akuei Lemmey Owies

R: Mirkov Kennedy J.Carroll

Int: Monahan, Naish, McMahon, Ramshaw

Strong VFL side, with enough talls in the mix if the typical 1 or 2 go down.

9 re-signings!

CO-VICE captains Lachie Swaney and Zavier Maher along with teammates Archie Stevens and Michael Lewis will remain in the Navy Blue in 2024.

They’re joined by another handful of young Blues who have recommitted for season 2024: Patrick Dozzi, Hayden Gill, Blake Kuipers, AJ Mills and Logan Prout.

VFL Coach Luke Power said he was excited that the players will continue in the Navy Blue.

9 re-signings!

Not disappointed. Not all of these guys were regulars, more bit players, but we are better for their being there. Maher will be probably the biggest positive after missing most of 2023 with injury. He was good in 2022. Archie Stevens is also positive, given that Geelong drafted his brother.

VFL:-
Will commence on the weekend of March 23-24, aligning with Round Two of the 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership season.

The 2024 Smithy’s VFL home and away season will consist of 21 rounds, with all teams to play 18 matches.

A competition bye will be scheduled across the weekend of April 6-7 when the VFL will take on the SANFL in a representative clash in Adelaide during the AFL Gather Round weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a few stories in the local media that Naish is going to play full time at Wangaratta in the O & M and not at Carlton. Saw him quoted as saying that he wasnt interested as there were no list spots available.

Think that we can put him down as an official scratching.

VFL Practice matches:-

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22
Carlton v Geelong Cats (IKON Park, 2:00pm, 4x20min)

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 23
Carlton v Coburg (IKON Park, 6:00pm, 4x20min)

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 28
* Carlton v Casey Demons (IKON Park, 3:00pm, 4x20min)*

THURSDAY, MARCH 7
Carlton v Coburg (IKON Park, 6:40pm, 4x20min)

THURSDAY, MARCH 14
Richmond v Carlton (Swinburne Centre, 4:00pm, 4x25min)

* Curtain raiser to AFL game

Welcome Tom …

TOM Phillips has signed with the Carlton Reserves for the 2024 season.

Drafted to Collingwood in 2016, the midfielder locked down a position on the wing, playing 89 games across five seasons. He played a central role for the Pies particularly in the 2018 and 2019 seasons, where he featured in the 2018 AFL Grand Final.
He then made his way over to Hawthorn at the end of the 2020 season via the trade period, playing every game in his first season at the Hawks.

Carlton Reserves 2024 re-signings:

Ned Cahill, Patrick Dozzi, Hayden Gill, Blake Kuipers, Michael Lewis, Zavier Maher, Liam McMahon, AJ Mills, Tom Phillips, Logan Prout, Heath Ramshaw, Archie Stevens, Lachie Swaney, Lachie Young

* denotes new player.

Kristian Ferronato has been named for us....was in a few of the phantom drafts as a possible late/rookie, so I'll be keen to see how he goes. Shifter gave him a decent write up.....although didn't mention "he's a great kid from a wonderful family"...which may be why he didn't get drafted....

1708508976155.png

From today's VFL game.....

The boys had a hard fought win in stifling heat....I thought it was only by 1 point, although somebody said it was 7 points - either way, the final siren went at the 8 minute mark of the last quarter, so I think there may have been a gentleman's handshake between the two sides for mercy sake.

Overall, we just had a bunch of kids running around out there trying their guts out. I think the only one in our side out of their nappies was Cincotta - who I thought was by far our best player out of our AFL listed players. He was excellent across half back, and you can see how much his game has developed over the past 12 months since being drafted.

Cats pretty much had a young side as well, although Mannagh was out there as was Parfitt, and Bews at times. They have a few mature age recruits as well, so overall were more experienced than our squad. Although I think that this time of the year, it's really just to give your youngsters a bit of a hit out.

Our only AFL listed players today were Carroll, Lemmey, Binns, Monahan, Cincotta, Wilson, O'Keefe and Akuei.

• Carroll - was very good. Accumulated a lot of possessions and very poised whenever he got it. Liked his game, and I reckon he'll get a call up at some stage during the year.
  • Lemmey - definitely on the improve. Started forward but moved him to defence during the 2nd half - switching him and McMahon. He's got some athleticism for a big fella, but needs time.
  • Binns - was just Binns. Racks them up at will, and again provided the link between forward and defence. Just never stops running, even in the stifling heat. No doubt will debut this season.
  • Monahan - barely noticed him....although in one passage received the ball, accelerated like a man possessed away from his opponent, a couple of bounces, then kicked it straight into the Geelong bloke coming at him. Turnover, goal. Obviously needs time - of course it's only his first game of aussie rules.
  • Cincotta - dominant across half back.
  • Wilson - also played across half back, and was a little in and out of the play - but when he does get it, provides some real dash and flair. Probably needs a little more composure with the ball at times, it but that'll no doubt come with experience.
  • O'Keefe - was very impressive as pretty much our only ruckman. Easily the best game I've seen him play. Seems to read the play really well, and was more than useful around the ground. Massive tick to the big fella.
  • Akuei - was also very good as probably our sole key defender alongside McMahon (and Lemmey in the 2nd half). He's still a long way off AFL level, but was very steady down back - ridiculous levels of athleticism.

Of the VFL listed boys, Heath Ramshaw imo was best on ground alongside Cincotta. The kid can really play.

A few of the 'no name' kids were also very good - Hugo Nosiara and Will White are the ones that spring to mind, and Hayden Gill good at times. It was great to see Archie Stevens lining up against his 'little' brother George. He's a massive beast is George - his shorts would even be too large for Big John!!!

THE Carlton Reserves had their first hitout against external opposition on Thursday, prevailing by seven points against Geelong.

In a post-script to the AFL match simulation that took place between the two sides, the VFL clash will played in the middle of excruciating heat at IKON Park, with temperatures hovering around 36 degrees for the clash.

Excellent signing, one of the better undrafted players last year. Mobile, slightly under sized KPP. Could develop very nicely and be a promotion prospect down the track.
I was really impressed with him in the U18 championships. Looking forward to see him line up in the magoo's.

I watched the U18's Vic Country vs SA game the other night after the post that we'd signed Rudd in our VFL. Kicked 2 goals that day, but could have easily ended up with 4 or 5...which would have got the recruiters frothing at the mouth. As the commentator said "he has a real presence about him in the forward half." Seems very stiff not to have been drafted.

Listed at 193cm and 91kg, so around the same size as Charlie - although there were articles comparing him more to Jeremy Cameron. Great endurance, with vice like hands and a booming left foot kick.

The issue of course is that if he shows promise at VFL level, we're not guaranteed access to him in the MSD....although I'm tipping if he's starting to look the goods, we'll have a breathalyzer set up on Royal Pde the week leading into the draft :thumbsu:

Either way, given we're picking up a couple of running mids in this year's National Draft, someone like Rudd could complement our brigade of marking forwards and potentially release Lem to develop more as a KPD.

According to this article, we were possibly linked to him in last year's rookie draft.

1709720046776.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back