Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa
1661650219107.jpeg

FbNOuHEVUAADL-I

LIVE ON CH7 FROM 1.00PM

Changing the discussion to something more positive... The reserves are into the finals and have a chance to avenge the senior team against the Pies.

Sunday August 28
Second Elimination Final, Collingwood (6th) vs. Carlton (7th)
Victoria Park, 1:05pm AEST
Broadcaster: Seven Network

"To thank football fans for their outstanding support throughout the 2022 season, the AFL is pleased to announce that entry to all matches in Week One of the 2022 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series is free."

I couldn't find the eligibility criteria for finals but if it's as simple as having played at least 1 game in the VFL this year, by my count we have 22 players eligible to play assuming they are fit and keen to play.

McGovern
Marchbank
Stocker
Cottrell
O'Brien
Martin
Pittonet
Setterfield
Motlop
Plowman
S Durdin
Kemp
Newnes
Hayes
Honey
Akuei
Carroll
Dow
Fogarty*
Mirkov*
Boyd*
E Curnow*

Will be interesting to see if some of the senior players decide to turn out for the team, eg Pittonet, Martin, McGovern and Marchy.

Changing the discussion to something more positive... The reserves are into the finals and have a chance to avenge the senior team against the Pies.

Sunday August 28
Second Elimination Final,
Collingwood (6th) vs. Carlton (7th)

"To thank football fans for their outstanding support throughout the 2022 season, the AFL is pleased to announce that entry to all matches in Week One of the 2022 Smithy’s VFL Finals Series is free."

I couldn't find the eligibility criteria for finals but if it's as simple as having played at least 1 game in the VFL this year, by my count we have 22 players eligible to play assuming they are fit and keen to play.

McGovern
Marchbank
Stocker
Cottrell
O'Brien
Martin
Pittonet
Setterfield
Motlop
Plowman
S Durdin
Kemp
Newnes
Hayes
Honey
Akuei
Carroll
Dow
Fogarty*
Mirkov*
Boyd*
E Curnow*

Will be interesting to see if some of the senior players decide to turn out for the team, eg Pittonet, Martin, McGovern and Marchy.
I think may depend on their historic "fragility". Could see McGovern and Marchy not playing, same with Martin. Pittonet, Stocker, LOB, Cottrell, Setters and likley to play. Maybe motlop to miss too.

Sunday August 28

McGovern
Marchbank
Stocker
Cottrell
O'Brien
Martin
Pittonet
Setterfield
Motlop
Plowman
S Durdin
Kemp
Newnes
Hayes
Honey
Akuei
Carroll
Dow
Fogarty*
Mirkov*
Boyd*
E Curnow*

Think i will get to this game

Believe the criteria is having played at least 1 VFL game and no more than 12 AFL games, so these bolded guys would be eligible

McGovern
Marchbank
Stocker
Martin
Pittonet
Motlop
S Durdin
Kemp
Hayes
Honey
Akuei
Carroll
Dow
Fogarty*
Mirkov*
Boyd*
E Curnow*

Not Eligible

Cottrell
O'Brien
Setterfield
Plowman
Newnes

Fair line up

Sunday August 28

McGovern
Marchbank
Stocker
Cottrell
O'Brien
Martin
Pittonet
Setterfield
Motlop
Plowman
S Durdin
Kemp
Newnes
Hayes
Honey
Akuei
Carroll
Dow
Fogarty*
Mirkov*
Boyd*
E Curnow*

The elgibility criteria is that they have is:

a) played at least 1 AFL or VFL game in the H&A season
b) have not played an AFL H&A match since July 1st (date probably shifts from year to year), or alternatively have played at least 6 games of VFL in the H&A season
c) B is ignored if both teams are playing a final that weekend

So as I understand it, the list is 14 13 strong, as follows:

Setterfield
Dow
Stocker
Motlop
Mirkov (currently listed as injured)
Hayes
Akuei
Sam Durdin
Carroll
Fogarty (currently thought to be injured)
Boyd (currently listed as injured)
Kemp
Ed Curnow (currently listed as injured)

Basically, we're stocked in the midfield and up forward, but we might be down a ruck. Defensively we're about the same as we've been all season in the reserves.

EDIT: had the right names, wrong count

Last edited:
You forgot Honey

b) have not played an AFL H&A match since July 1st (date probably shifts from year to year), or alternatively have played at least 6 games of VFL in the H&A season

So as I understand it, the list is 14 strong, as follows:

Setterfield
Dow
Stocker
Motlop
Hayes
Akuei
Sam Durdin
Carroll
Kemp

Basically, we're stocked in the midfield and up forward, but we might be down a ruck. Defensively we're about the same as we've been all season in the reserves.
Mirkov was one week. Ed and Boyd will be very close. Fogarty a bit of a mystery.

(Boyd) Durdin. xxxxxxxx
Stocker. xxxxxx. xxxxxxxx
Hayes. Setterfield xxxxxxxx
Mirkov. Carroll. Dow
(Ed). Kemp. Honey
Motlop. xxxxxx. Akuei
(Fogarty)

Leui, Cincotta, Crocker, Cahill, Trudgeon, Maher, North, Handley, Radovanivic, Glass McCasker would expect to play.
Have I missed any VFL likely participants.

You forgot Honey

Mirkov was one week. Ed and Boyd will be very close. Fogarty a bit of a mystery.

(Boyd) Durdin. xxxxxxxx
Stocker. xxxxxx. xxxxxxxx
Hayes. Setterfield xxxxxxxx
Mirkov. Carroll. Dow
(Ed). Kemp. Honey
Motlop. xxxxxx. Akuei
(Fogarty)

Leui, Cincotta, Crocker, Cahill, Trudgeon, Maher, North, Handley, Radovanivic, Glass McCasker would expect to play.
Have I missed any VFL likely participants.
To my knowledge, Honey's only played 5 VFL H&A matches, and has played AFL after the end of June cutoff.

Prior to the weekend, he hadn't played VFL since R13, and had only played the 4 matches since resuming in VFL R9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But he's played AFL since July 1?
I'm not really up with these rules, but I thought the July thing was that you aren't eligible if you hadn't played VFL prior to then?
So if you hadn't been in the VFL prior to that you can't play. Stops teams who have no hope of finals from loading up their VFL side late in the season, or just loading up for finals.

Does this mean stock has been given permission to play?

View attachment 1489012

But he's played AFL since July 1?

I'm not really up with these rules, but I thought the July thing was that you aren't eligible if you hadn't played VFL prior to then?
So if you hadn't been in the VFL prior to that you can't play. Stops teams who have no hope of finals from loading up their VFL side late in the season, or just loading up for finals.
I've explained this above in full: he's played 6 or more VFL H&A games, so he's eligible to play regardless of playing AFL after July 1.

So as I understand it, the list is 14 strong, as follows:

Setterfield
Dow
Stocker
Motlop
Hayes
Akuei
Sam Durdin
Carroll
Kemp

Hey Jim, I think there's also a "no more than 12 AFL games" rule isn't there?

Also... know where we can get a list of games played in VFL? Other than going through game by game to see who has played...

Hey Jim, I think there's also a "no more than 12 AFL games" rule isn't there?

Also... know where we can get a list of games played in VFL? Other than going through game by game to see who has played...

The 12 game cap is an old rule, I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back