VFL Carlton Reserves 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I was even interested in him as a signing for the AFL list, but he's got to put on a little muscle and show his athleticism off to make the cut. Would also come at the expense of Sam Durdin.
His athleticism was fully on show in the scratch matches - particularly for someone who stands at 198cm. Definitely needs to put on a bit of size, but still has time on his side to develop physically.

The issue with any developing KPD at the moment is that our current locks in Weiters and Young are still only 25yo and 24yo respectively. I guess the dilemma for Austin and his crew could possibly be if we hang onto an experienced head like Durdin purely as a back up, or bring in a developing player with an eye to the future if his form warrants at VFL level. He was also drafted by the Pies as a forward, so has the versatility of playing either end.

From what little I've seen of McMahon so far, he reminds me a bit of Jack Henry at the same age. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how he develops this year, especially under Luke Power.

I was disappointed in Sam Durdin's VFL performance against the Cats: 2 possessions for the entire game!
Lemmey didn't get a lot, but he did manage to jag a goal.
Parks also disappointed: 3 possessions.
Plowman hasn't been playing well, but he had 29 possessions.
Even Dom Akuei had 10 possessions and mark of the day.

I was disappointed in Sam Durdin's VFL performance against the Cats: 2 possessions for the entire game!
Lemmey didn't get a lot, but he did manage to jag a goal.
Parks also disappointed: 3 possessions.
Plowman hasn't been playing well, but he had 29 possessions.
Even Dom Akuei had 10 possessions and mark of the day.
I think you’ll find Durdin went off early. Probably some sort of injury.

Get to the Carlton v Bulldogs game early if you're keen for a double header...

ANOTHER KEY GAME FOR TOP DRAFT PROSPECTS

THE NAB AFL Academy squad will have a second game against senior opposition this season, with the group of talented draft prospects to play a curtain raiser against Carlton's VFL side.

The AFL Academy is set for a camp in South Australia during Gather Round, where they will face Port Adelaide's SANFL team at Adelaide Hills after the game between Brisbane and North Melbourne at Mount Barker.

But, for the first time in nearly a decade, the AFL Academy will play a second game against senior opponents, with a clash against the Blues set for May 13 at Marvel Stadium ahead of Carlton's AFL clash with the Western Bulldogs.

Former Collingwood player and current AFL Academy head coach Tarkyn Lockyer will steer the Academy through both games.

The games against VFL opponents have been a key part of the Academy program in the past and a good measuring stick for recruiters as they assess the next generation against more mature players and some AFL-listed opponents as well.

A very ordinary showing the boys. Need a lot more desire.
Much better the last couple of weeks, but still a long way from where we'd like them to be. We beat Richmond, who had only 4 listed players by a couple of points. A lot of guys are not in great form.
That said, we did have much the better of the play and the better players. However, we played a very stop-start brand of football.

The recess of games in the system will see a handful of prospects play for VFL sides, with prospective No.1 pick Harley Reid to play for Carlton's VFL side during the Bendigo Pioneers' break.
That's this weekend's game. Hell of a 23rd player to have!

That's this weekend's game. Hell of a 23rd player to have!
I'm not exactly sure.

The Pioneers haven't played since April 16th, and don't have another scheduled game until May 21st. Surely that doesn't mean Reid will be playing with us for all that time?

I was thinking it's more likely for him to play for our reserves during the Pioneers' official bye on July 29th - but either way it doesn't really make sense.

I'm not exactly sure.

The Pioneers haven't played since April 16th, and don't have another scheduled game until May 21st. Surely that doesn't mean Reid will be playing with us for all that time?

I was thinking it's more likely for him to play for our reserves during the Pioneers' official bye on July 29th - but either way it doesn't really make sense.
They've had a double bye through the school holidays, 1-2 games with us now makes sense, then we've got a bye which takes us through their NAB League resumption.

Championships are in June, and school commitments will only ramp up from then on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think? Our AFL team is playing that week so I don't see why we wouldn't want to give our list guys a game.
It's happened before, and that's what they've done. Recruiters like it to be as much of a talent showcase as possible.

I posted this elsewhere. Please feel like disagreeing, if you think otherwise.

Probably a bit soon for this, but it does need to be done:

Number Player
50 Zavier Maher (VC) Injured early in the season and missed all but the first game. A pity, as he is a decent player with pace and goal kicking ability. With 2 major injuries in 2 seasons, I don’t know what the future holds for a guy who was close to being on the senior list.
51 Heath Ramshaw Ramshaw has been pretty good this year, even if he was ordinary yesterday. I’m fairly confident he will continue with us in 2024 and will be a contributor.
52 Liam McMahon: Has had his moment, but he is the skinniest forward I’ve seen, His body work is a disaster. The rest of his play doesn’t look bad and he can take a hanger. Will probably stick around.
53 Patrick Dozzi: A disappointing end to the season where he lost his place in the last couple of weeks. Hasn’t quite come on as I would have hoped, but is still a chance to remain.
54 Ned Cahill: Not sure where Cahill is headed. He can be dangerous and he remains goal kicker, but it looks like he won’t be getting onto a senior list. Not sure where he is headed.
55 Tyreece Lieu: One of the big disappointments on 2023. Lieu looked close to a senior spot last year, but he had gone backwards and doesn’t look like his heart is in it.
56 Sam Grant: I don’t recall him playing at all. He is still a kid, but you would have thought he could have got a game if he was going to have a future.
57 Ben Crocker (C) An interesting question, Crocker was well down on his previous output, but he actually worked pretty hard as captain. Probably worth keeping.
58 Michael Lewis: Lewis has looked good at times this year and is much more likely to remain that Lieu at this point.
60 Blake Kuipers: Got a few games this season. Kuipers is pretty raw, but not untalented. Not sure what his plans might be.
61 Ethan Bentley: Didn’t make a contribution. Won’t be there next year.
62 Hayden Gill: Gill played a few games and looks interesting. He can take a grab, and is pretty athletic at 197 cm. He is, like McMahon, very light and doesn’t out-body anyone.
63 Luke Parks: Won’t get onto a senior list his results this year, but has played decently. Will be welcome if he wants to stick around.
64 Archie Stevens: Played a VC often with injuries to Mahor and Swaney, and had some very good games. His left foot is a lethal weapon. Lost his place at the end. I’d keep him. This year he played almost exclusively on the ball, where last year he was a small forward.
65 Jed Brererton: Put on the jumper twice. Not likely to be persisted with, not the way O’Keefe is developing.
66 Aiden Mills: Mature guy from Echuca, Mills wasn’t bad and may well be retained.
67 Ben Ronke: Out top goalkicker for year, from memory, he may still be invited to try out for a SSP spot in 2024.
68 Mitch Moschetti: Another who had a leadership role in 2023 due to injuries, Mitch had some very good games. I expect to see him next year.
69 Charlie Brauer: Didn’t get a sniff. Gone.
70 Noah Barnes: Didn’t get a sniff. Gone.
71 Nathan Scollo: I don’t know what happened to Scollo, but he didn’t play a single game for us. He was looking interesting.
72 Darcy Porter: Did get on the park this time, but didn’t make much of a contribution. Unlikely to be retained.
73 Ben Moyle: Didn’t see him. Did he play?
74 Logan Prout: One of the Echuca boys, Prout wasn’t fantastic, but he wasn’t a serious dud. May well go around again next year.
75 Hamish Sinnott: We thought a lot of Sinnott, but he didn’t get on the park very often.
76 Lachlan Swaney (VC) Missed a lot of footy. Not likely to be retained.
77 Will White: Didn’t get a sniff. Gone.
78 Jack Maruff: Got a few games and wasn’t that bad. I don’t think it likely for him to be retained, but he wouldn’t be the worst if he was.
79 Jack Lefroy: Some solid games, but didn’t get a lot of them.
80 Eli Pearce: We had hopes for Pearce, but he didn’t play a game.

To be honest, I was more bullish about last year's crop than I am about this year's. Losing Trudgeon was a negative, evcen if he didn't make a contribution at Box Hill. Losing Maher after the first game was a big loss: he has pace and a dangerous kick.
Overall, the team did not play as well this year as it did last year. Power is an excellent development coach, but I'm not sold on him as a VFL coach. I hope he can prove me wrong.
A lot of our younger players are looking questionable, but they are young.

Really disappointed that we missed finals for Philp’s sake. He needed as many opportunities as possible to show he had earned another contract. Will be interesting to see what happens now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back