Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I would make a few comments about potential best 22, without actually naming it.

I think Wagner did enough to be considered an incumbent, given that with Young in the midfield there is a spot available.

Young in the midfield, obviously. The wings are any body’s guess. I like Aish as the third Wing, playing about 40% game time on the wing, with some midfield minutes and plugging other holes as required. I think Jordan Clark might be the best wing on our list, pace, booming kick, and a balanced, 2 way game. I don’t think I will ever see it. Johnson and Sharp may be the front runners, but there are 2 spots up for grabs.

I want to see the triple J forward line. If Tabs is fit and in form he will be breathing down Treacy’s neck and Josh doesn’t do enough, as yet. Josh does have growth, we hope, he knows how to play as part of an ensemble (something Tabs struggles with) and he is acceptable as a second ruck, giving increased flexibility.

Switta, Sturt and Freddie all don’t do enough. Freddie is the closest and when he is on, defences fear him. Maybe if we are a better team Freddie will go forward a step or two. Switta doesn‘t find the goals, Sam does, at least a bit, but needs to add more to his game. Nevertheless at least 2 of them and maybe all 3 get a game unless others step up, Emmet, Erasmus, one of the newbies. Sonny is an automatic all things being equal.

Hard to comment on Fyfe. If fit and playing at 80% of his best, he is an automatic in the midfield. He is not a forward. He played well as sub in a couple of games, but finishing his career as a super sub may not suit his personality, and may be too out there for our coaching panel. Who knows?

Since I'm bored and my input means zero so:

B: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
HB: Chapman, Cox, Clark

C: Sharp, Fyfe, Brayshaw

HF: Sturt, Jackson, Frederick
F: Walters, Amiss, Treacy

R: Darcy, Young, Serong

I: Johnson, Aish, Switkowski, O'Meara
S: Erasmus

Next in line: NOD, Emmett
Some tweaks in there that I like.

Fyfe in.
Brayshaw to the wing.
Jackson chf.

I thought I would make a few comments about potential best 22, without actually naming it.

I think Wagner did enough to be considered an incumbent, given that with Young in the midfield there is a spot available.

Young in the midfield, obviously. The wings are any body’s guess. I like Aish as the third Wing, playing about 40% game time on the wing, with some midfield minutes and plugging other holes as required. I think Jordan Clark might be the best wing on our list, pace, booming kick, and a balanced, 2 way game. I don’t think I will ever see it. Johnson and Sharp may be the front runners, but there are 2 spots up for grabs.

I want to see the triple J forward line. If Tabs is fit and in form he will be breathing down Treacy’s neck and Josh doesn’t do enough, as yet. Josh does have growth, we hope, he knows how to play as part of an ensemble (something Tabs struggles with) and he is acceptable as a second ruck, giving increased flexibility.

Switta, Sturt and Freddie all don’t do enough. Freddie is the closest and when he is on, defences fear him. Maybe if we are a better team Freddie will go forward a step or two. Switta doesn‘t find the goals, Sam does, at least a bit, but needs to add more to his game. Nevertheless at least 2 of them and maybe all 3 get a game unless others step up, Emmet, Erasmus, one of the newbies. Sonny is an automatic all things being equal.

Hard to comment on Fyfe. If fit and playing at 80% of his best, he is an automatic in the midfield. He is not a forward. He played well as sub in a couple of games, but finishing his career as a super sub may not suit his personality, and may be too out there for our coaching panel. Who knows?
Re Fyfe, if you offered him the choice of a premiership coming on as sub or playing every game for the next two years an not making a Grand final, I reckon I know which one he’d choose.

Edit: agree with everything else you wrote, nice thoughts.

Since I'm bored and my input means zero so:

B: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
HB: Chapman, Cox, Clark

C: Sharp, Fyfe, Brayshaw

HF: Sturt, Jackson, Frederick
F: Walters, Amiss, Treacy

R: Darcy, Young, Serong

I: Johnson, Aish, Switkowski, O'Meara
S: Erasmus

Next in line: NOD, Emmett

Brayshaw isn’t a winger but you’ve got potential wingers on your bench. For me this is probably the 23 that start round one as things stand though.

Brayshaw isn’t a winger but you’ve got potential wingers on your bench. For me this is probably the 23 that start round one as things stand though.
I don't know, Sturt seems to take at least twice as long as average to recover from injury, so this so called minor surgery ruling him out to January means I doubt he plays round 1

Brayshaw is the best two way runner at the club and is potentially a far greater wing than Johnson or Aish.

I would happily have him as part of the wing rotation and would like to see Johnson attend more centre bounces.

I agree with your analysis; a corollary out of this is that one small forward "solution" the coaches may opt for is to move O'Meara to half forward and drop Sturt - IMO that will net us even less goals and reduced speed but maybe slightly more pressure and run, and more experience delivering into the fifty. O'Meara at Hawthorn was an excellent deliverer to their key forwards in his last few years and with the JJJ forward line they may back him to enhance this aspect of our forward line. I still think however that (as you have pointed out) that leaves us very light on actual goal kicking power with the small forwards and reliant on Walters to really carry us in that regards.
Brayshaw is the best two way runner at the club and is potentially a far greater wing than Johnson or Aish.

I would happily have him as part of the wing rotation and would like to see Johnson attend more centre bounces.
Outside of minor spells, the coaches just aren't going to play Brayshaw on the wing for large periods. On the other hand, Johnson's card seemed marked for more outside time ever since they brought Young into the midfield mix and was more effective late in the season.

Post draft/trade period

FF: Walters Amiss Emmett
HF: Sturt Treacy Jackson
C: Aish Brayshaw Johnson
HB: Chapman Cox Clark
FB: Ryan Pearce Walker

R: Darcy Serong Young

I: Freddie JOM Ras Switta

Sub: Fyfe

Pushing for a spot:
Simpson
NOD
Sharp
Stanley
Brodie
Worner
Wagner

Raw (might get games based on WAFL form or due to injury):
Davies
Draper
Delean
Murphy

Depth:
Banfield
Hughes
McDonald
Knobel
Tabs
Corbett

Outside of minor spells, the coaches just aren't going to play Brayshaw on the wing for large periods. On the other hand, Johnson's card seemed marked for more outside time ever since they brought Young into the midfield mix and was more effective late in the season.
Yes, I'm aware of this. As my post says I want Brayshaw as part of the wing rotation, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

I am enjoying the optimism surrounding Sharp and O'Driscoll but it is a weakness for us. Until it happens I am doubtful Longmuir will play Chapman anywhere but in defence.

I'm happy with the Young move, so the coach does have some capacity to innovate. We need better value from the midfield. We need to be top 3 in there.

Johnson is in development. What he is asked to do now is part of that. Longer term could be different.

Yes, I'm aware of this. As my post says I want Brayshaw as part of the wing rotation, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

I am enjoying the optimism surrounding Sharp and O'Driscoll but it is a weakness for us. Until it happens I am doubtful Longmuir will play Chapman anywhere but in defence.

I'm happy with the Young move, so the coach does have some capacity to innovate. We need better value from the midfield. We need to be top 3 in there.

Johnson is in development. What he is asked to do now is part of that. Longer term could be different.

I definitely agree that the proven "true" wing options are both a strong probabilities of not being at the required level this year. Sharp might have the demonstrated athletic requirements to do the role but I still think the application to be consistent and concentration on-field required remain a big concern (the "getting back to effort and hardness" theme for this year might also present challenges), whilst O'Driscoll's finish in the WAFL this year left me feeling like it was all the way back to square one with him. I am almost as enthusiastic about Stanley on the wing as either of these two, and that is saying a lot given will basically be a first year player.

I feel like JOM is a depth player in terms of performance now, as is Fyfe (never thought I would ever say that).

Would love to be proven wrong, but if they are performing at the same level as young players, I’d prefer to play the younger players and get the development + avoid them leaving for opportunities at the end of the year.

I can’t imagine Johnson, or Erasmus would accept a season in the twos, even with some first team games thrown in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like JOM is a depth player in terms of performance now, as is Fyfe (never thought I would ever say that).

Would love to be proven wrong, but if they are performing at the same level as young players, I’d prefer to play the younger players and get the development + avoid them leaving for opportunities at the end of the year.

I can’t imagine Johnson, or Erasmus would accept a season in the twos, even with some first team games thrown in.
Effectively that gives us O'Meara, Fyfe and Brodie as depth.

That's a weird list.

JOM was a stupid pick up but he isn't depth. Fyfe should be playing the sub role from now on. Jury is still out on Brodie and what role he plays.

JOM was a stupid pick up but he isn't depth. Fyfe should be playing the sub role from now on. Jury is still out on Brodie and what role he plays.
He will be picked, not sure he will play well enough to justify it. I hope he does, and better form might come being more settled, but I suspect he isn’t as good as advertised.

My Best 23 for 2024. Some notes:

1. The number before the name is their 2024 birthday.
2. The number after is their career goals/game.
3. *means we can reasonably hope for a big upside in 2024 cf 2023.

I have not included anyone from the last two drafts, this team's minimum age is 21. I'm on board with JL, youth is not an excuse in 2024.

I've gone for JOM in the front 1/2. The forwards are too inexperienced without him. He was hired as Mundy's replacement and the onfield leadership is the single biggest part of that skillset. I am expecting him to deliver a lot more on-field leadership in 2024 after a year of getting to know everyone. He is a class player who has to play within himself to keep his body right.

I have * for Pearce. I think his 2023 suffered because of the captaincy. For his form's sake he needs to hand the captaincy on. For the team's sake he needs to hand the captaincy on. He is not the right captain with JL as coach. JL+Pearce=too sensible.

Each week's Best 23 depends on match-ups.

I have no defenders on the bench but Aish and Young can swing back. I reckon Treacy would also be a great big defender. Ryan/Chapman can also play on bigger bodies. So I think the team has the flexibility enough to therefore fill the bench with runners.

I'm concerned by the number of injury prone players we have and have offered what appear to be their adequate depth replacements. I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage. What also bodes well is the great year our S&C team gave us in 2023 - we're in good hands.

Fyfe gets an * because of his sad 2023. If only his body holds out...
Amiss doesn't get an * because after such a brilliant year I think we can only hope for a modest improvement. Likewise Serong.
Freddy is soooo dangerous. Can maturity bring consistency?
Brayshaw gets an * because I think he was hampered in 2023. Let's hope 2024 is even better than his amazing 2022.

I've included our under 26yos as a stat because they are all likely to still be playing well in 5 years time. 14/23 = Happy Days.​

B
28Ryan0​
29Pearce0*​
22Walker0​
HB
22Chapman0*​
26Cox0.3​
24Clark0.2​
C
29Aish0.2​
23Young0*​
25Brayshaw0.3*​
R
26Darcy0.4​
23Jackson0.7*​
23Serong0.2​
HF
30O’Meara0.5​
22Treacy0.8*​
24Sturt1.2*​
F
33Walters1.6​
21Amiss1.8​
23Emmett2.0​
I
21Erasmus0.1*​
21Johnson0.2*​
24Frederick1.1​
28Switkowski0.6​
S
33Fyfe0.8*​

THIS IS A 11.8 GOAL/GAME TEAM (+10 points, 12.10 = 82) (sub’s goals not included)

Av age = 25.2 Under 26=14/23

INJURY PRONE PLAYERS AND POSSIBLE DEPTH

29Pearce0 - 28McDonald0

22Walker0 - 29Hughes0.1/22Warner0/27Wagner0.2

22Chapman0 - 29Hughes0.1/23Sharp0.3

24Sturt1.2 - 24Banfield0.3

28Switkowski0.6 - 24Banfield0.3

33Fyfe0.8 - 26Brodie0.2

22O’Driscoll0.5

31Taberner0.8

So far everything is pointing to Fyfe starting round 1 in the 18. Many of us haven't even included him in our best 22's (or 23's) but if we can get something in the vicinity of 2019-era Fyfe he's probably still our best midfielder. Fingers crossed him and Sonny can carry through their preseasons into a memorable swan song and launch us back into contention.

So far everything is pointing to Fyfe starting round 1 in the 18. Many of us haven't even included him in our best 22's (or 23's) but if we can get something in the vicinity of 2019-era Fyfe he's probably still our best midfielder. Fingers crossed him and Sonny can carry through their preseasons into a memorable swan song and launch us back into contention.
2019 Fyfe is everybody's best midfielder! Fingers crossed.

I think with Fyfe it is as much mental as physical. He used to carry himself with a bit of figjam. Now you can see there is a lot on his mind.

I wish someone would just tell him to get after it and try to win another Brownlow or bnf.

I think with Fyfe it is as much mental as physical. He used to carry himself with a bit of figjam. Now you can see there is a lot on his mind.

I wish someone would just tell him to get after it and try to win another Brownlow or bnf.
I think the mental is secondary to the physical - his body can't do it so his mind won't.

hardly, he still tries to play as if hes 5 years younger trying to bulldoze his way through but lacks the agility he once had, his mindset is fine (outside of kicking for goal anyway) hes just lost a step unfortunately

but ill always be optimistic for fyfe and back him in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back