Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Shaping up as interesting off-season for us!

This is my first pass at a best 22 for next year, using the squad as it stands. Obviously this will change after draft/trade period

FF: Walters Amiss Shultz
HF: Sturt Treacy Jackson
C: Aish Brayshaw Henry
HB: Young Cox Clark
FB: Ryan Pearce Chapman

R: Darcy Serong JOM

I: Freddie Emmett Johnson Switta

Pushing for a spot:
NOD
Erasmus
Stanley
Walker (if recovery goes well)
Brodie
Worner
Wagner

Depth:
Banfield
Hughes
Wilson
Hamling (if he goes around again)
Knobel

Who ****ing knows:
Fyfe
Tabs

Lets see yours!

Last edited:
walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman
Aish Brodie Young
fyfe jackson shultz
Emmit amiss Walters.

Darcy Serong Brayshaw.

Int. Freddy, Sturt, Treacy, Johnson.

Notes: - Erasmus has not shown enough to be starting 22 just yet.
- Brodie into the midfield to replace JOM.
- Fyfe to play 15 games and pinch hit in the middle.
- Switta and Wagner unlucky. .
- Chapman to come back and dominate. (without injury)

Ryan, Pearce , Hamling
Wagner , Chapman , Clark

AB, Darcy , Aish
Serong , Jackson , Young

Switta , Cox , Freddy
Amiss , Treacy , Shooter

MJ, Walters, Emmett, JOM,

Sub: Fyfe

Idk if I'm overselling the Walker injury in my mind or others are underselling it. A torn patella tendon in mid July. Looking at other players with that injury:

• Wayne Milera tore his in the 2021 pre-season, played regularly in the AFL from mid-2022, but really only looked close to his pre-injury self in 2023.
  • Jarrod Pickett did it in December 2018 and didn't play another game (part of that is because of his pre-injury level I assume)
  • Jaeger did it in the 2015 pre-season, played a few games in 2017 but really only came back in 2018, and I don't think has ever had that pre-injury X factor (it's a credit to him he had the career he did)
  • Nic Newman did his in mid-2020 and was able to come back like mid-2021. Close to the best case scenario of the lot.
With that in mind, idk if Walker can really go into these 2024 best 22 discussions. Hopefully he's 1 of the lucky ones, but it seems like a really nasty injury to get over.

Is Fyfe fully cooked ? Plans to play mid again, hard to see that happening but would be huge if he could

For the first time in a long time, the forwardline doesn’t suck. We actually have a pretty good team on paper across all lines now. Even in the hopium of 21-22 you’d go yeah we look okay, but we’re kicking the ball to Lobb and Tabs and Banfield. Maybe the best thing to come out of this season is we finally found the right balance.

For the first time in a long time, the forwardline doesn’t suck. We actually have a pretty good team on paper across all lines now. Even in the hopium of 21-22 you’d go yeah we look okay, but we’re kicking the ball to Lobb and Tabs and Banfield. Maybe the best thing to come out of this season is we finally found the right balance.
Hopefully they are depth forwards and we don’t try to make Fyfe play
there permanently.
Only issue will be Sonny getting on, and that can be looked at with the drafts.
Biggest X factor would have to be Jackson, with Darcy rucking again the
forward line should have Amiss, Treacy, Jackson.
Cox is also a true swingman, and Treacy is another forward/ruck and maybe
they could both swap ends?
The spine is looking better without Tabs, Lobb.
Amiss kicking 40 goals, it’s been a long time coming since we had a regular goal
kicker.
The forward line finally has the potential to be top 4, and you don’t win flags
from WA without one.

Ryan Pearce Wagner
Clark Cox Chapman
Johnson Young NOD
Sturt Treacy Emmett
Schultz Amiss Walters

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Jackson Aish Freddy Switta

Sub: Brodie/Fyfe

Peel/depth/inhured
Worner Hamling Walker
Hughes Davies Draper
Stanley Erasmus Williams
Banfield Reidy ????
Corbett Tabs Kuek

Knobel JOM Brodie/Fyfe

We need a couple of small forwards, for depth and to replace Walters in a year or two.
I prefer Fyfe or Brodie to come in fresh in the 3rd, be an impact player. Unless either can get their fitness/bodies right to starting, Fyfe has a much better chance of playing a full season on managed minutes.
Jackson should have no fixed position other than unicorn.
Aish to be 7th back, Switta to be xfactor mid and Frederick to play 3rd winger.
Brayshaw and Johnson to alternate inside and wing, keep at least one of Young or Johnson in the centre square at all times.
No place for JOM in my starting 22 but useful depth.
Stanley could overtake NOD for the other wing with an actual AFL preseason under his belt.

Last edited:
Ryan Pearce Wagner
Clark Cox Chapman
Baeshaw Young NOD
Jackson Treacy Freddy
Schultz Amiss Sturt

Darcy Serong Johnson

Brodie Aish Erasmus Walters

Sub: Switta
Emmit
Ryan Pearce Wagner
Clark Cox Chapman
Baeshaw Young NOD
Jackson Treacy Freddy
Schultz Amiss Sturt

Darcy Serong Johnson

Brodie Aish Erasmus Walters

Sub: Switta
Ahem. Emmett might have just played the best first 2 games for our club….like…..ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We desperately need a Treacy to come on next year. Still young but fourth year in the system….
It would be good to see him hit the score board more, he would have to be close to our best field kick though. Takes the risky options and rarely misses, he also doesn't get enough of it for that to be selection factor. But I have been really impressed with that part of his game, added to his presence and physicality.

It would be good to see him hit the score board more, he would have to be close to our best field kick though. Takes the risky options and rarely misses, he also doesn't get enough of it for that to be selection factor. But I have been really impressed with that part of his game, added to his presence and physicality.

There’s been a few times he’s dropped marks he really should’ve taken. He takes those and he’s probably scored over a goal a game for us this year.

We shouldn’t rely on contested marks too much as whole teams usually take around 10-12 a game but if we can get a few more a game from our KPFs and rucks it’d go a long way even if they’re not inside fifty.

I'm gonna throw all of Tabs, Fyfe and Walker in the unavailable basket for next year. Henry I think we can assume won't be here either.

How I think we will line up after team selection this year, not necessarily what I would pick:

Ryan Pearce Clark
Chapman Cox Wagner
Aish Brayshaw Johnson
Switkowski Treacy Schultz
Walters Amiss Jackson
Darcy Young Serong
Frederick Sturt Omeara Hughes Sub: Erasmus

I see no evidence that means we rule Walker out for the entirety of 2024 at this stage tbh. The club has said he’ll be touch and go for round one.

I’m not making an attempt in this thread at all until trade period is finished but if I see Walker in our best team fully fit I’m putting him in.

This is a best 22 thread not a round one 2024 thread.

I see no evidence that means we rule Walker out for the entirety of 2024 at this stage tbh. The club has said he’ll be touch and go for round one.

I’m not making an attempt in this thread at all until trade period is finished but if I see Walker in our best team fully fit I’m putting him in.

This is a best 22 thread not a round one 2024 thread.
Agree on the premise of best 22 not round 1, I just think Clark is playing the lockdown role better than Walker, he’s slightly less defensive mindset but way better attacking, Wagner is playing the Clark role well.

I don't think Walker will be back for round 1. That's a pretty tough injury.

Working on the assumption that we're losing Henry, Wilson, Colyer and Benning. Can still see Hamling going, but if he's open to a move to the rookie list he'd be good depth. Also working on the assumption we see the best of Drizzy again next year.

I've tried to create something of a depth chart, with like-for-like replacements.

Best 22
FB: Walker Cox Chapman
HB: Ryan Pearce Clark
C: Johnson Serong O'Driscoll
HF: Frederick Treacy Schultz
FF: Walters Amiss Jackson

Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Young

Int: Aish O'Meara Fyfe Switkowski

Reserves
FB: Wagner Hamling Hughes
HB: Draper Davies Worner
C: Stanley Erasmus Williams
HF: Banfield Corbett Emmett
FF: Sturt Taberner Reidy

Fol: Knobel Brodie

Int: Kuek

Could potentially move Frederick to O'Driscolls wing, allowing Sturt or Emmett into the 22.

Looking at the two teams, we definitely need that Walters replacement and you can always use more midfielders, as long as they're not purely inside.

Agree on the premise of best 22 not round 1, I just think Clark is playing the lockdown role better than Walker, he’s slightly less defensive mindset but way better attacking, Wagner is playing the Clark role well.

That’s fair enough - what I have a problem is assuming the worst for injuries despite there being no evidence to suggest the worst will happen.

I remember people always saying Pearce wouldn’t play 50 games for us because he had a few injuries. Massive overreaction. The guy has now basically captained us two years in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back