2024 Coaching Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Get it wrong and it can put you back 5-10 years. Look at UFTG, everyone forgets they were already in a big trouble long before the mouldy clubrooms. Their troubles are said to originated from a poor coaching appointment.

With a young exciting list and a club on the rise i cant imagine there was a lack of applicants for the EB job, but who knows.

Maybe it was financial? They may not have wanted to cough up the minimum 15k+ for a really good coach.

Younger players are a little different now and it doesnt take much for them to look elsewhere and it often has a domino effect.
Correct

Interesting take old mate.
You appear to be a touch underwhelmed.
I guess so Bob, I was told last week that they still had interested people. Stu was a really good coach who took the players along with his vision and ideas. I was hoping that we would attract someone who would be able take the younger players along with him. We have a number of clubs very interested in our young players and a coach with either good coaching credentials or lots of potential would certainly help to retain them. I know very little about David Jensen except that he had a shortened appointment at Surrey Park (no idea why but sometimes things happen within a club) and his assistant role at Ringwood. So I will have to assume the club has done the due diligence and selected the coach best suited to the needs of our young players. He will get my full support. What really peeved me off though was the club announcing the new coaches appointment on Facebook BEFORE informing the members of the appointment (still hasn't happened). Very disappointing, I wouldn't have thought membership ended at the Best and Fairest.

I guess so Bob, I was told last week that they still had interested people. Stu was a really good coach who took the players along with his vision and ideas. I was hoping that we would attract someone who would be able take the younger players along with him. We have a number of clubs very interested in our young players and a coach with either good coaching credentials or lots of potential would certainly help to retain them. I know very little about David Jensen except that he had a shortened appointment at Surrey Park (no idea why but sometimes things happen within a club) and his assistant role at Ringwood. So I will have to assume the club has done the due diligence and selected the coach best suited to the needs of our young players. He will get my full support. What really peeved me off though was the club announcing the new coaches appointment on Facebook BEFORE informing the members of the appointment (still hasn't happened). Very disappointing, I wouldn't have thought membership ended at the Best and Fairest.

Time to get with it Cliff,most clubs use Facebook these days to promote their clubs.

Shouldn't stop a club informing their members first GMac.
Email to members if they maintain a database perhaps? I agree with G in that I don’t mine if announced on FB.

The one that annoys me is when Leader get these releases prior to a club announcement in any form. That is really poor at a club level.

Email to members if they maintain a database perhaps? I agree with G in that I don’t mine if announced on FB.

The one that annoys me is when Leader get these releases prior to a club announcement in any form. That is really poor at a club level.
They have a database of members, I get emails about lots of other things from the club, every member should have got one about the coaching appointment. Should happen at every club.

So far we have Park Orchards, Berwick, Norwood, Croydon, Sth Croydon, East Burwood, Templestowe and Forest Hill now looking for a coach. No doubt More to follow for sure. Croydon MLOC seeking a football manager. Quality coaches don’t grow in trees and some clubs don’t like going for the untried coach. A few years ago the Rams changed coaches like underwear. I hope they don’t go down that path again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boronia would want to sign up Matt Clarke very quickly, he is an outstanding coach and I’m sure some of the big clubs will be having a chat

Boronia would want to sign up Matt Clarke very quickly, he is an outstanding coach and I’m sure some of the big clubs will be having a chat

They've already announced quite a few players re-signing too... i'd suggest any coach not yet announced as going again could quite possibly be on the way out. Not that I'm suggesting Boronia has sacked him, it may just be a resignation / retirement etc.

6 years at the 1 club is a long time these days. They should win the flag this year, does he hang around and go again and try and win the flag again and get them promoted to Div 1, or will he want another challenge somewhere else.

When a club appoints a new Coach are there certain expectations even before you look at win/loss ratio? Like a potential employee I interview, I want them to not only fit into the culture, I want them to thrive and build on it. That’s my first box to tick. What else?

When a club appoints a new Coach are there certain expectations even before you look at win/loss ratio? Like a potential employee I interview, I want them to not only fit into the culture, I want them to thrive and build on it. That’s my first box to tick. What else?

I think in most organisations it’s important to have everybody on the same page and pulling in the same direction. So you will have a view of where your club is and where it is going, and really you need a coach who is on the same page. There’s no point having a committee who thinks they’re going to win a flag next year, and a coach who thinks he needs to make major changes and will need a few years to bring it together and challenge. Or vice versa. While there’s always different views on some things, the overall strategy and path needs to be the same.

Then you judge the coach of what he did and how he did it under the circumstances that played out.

That's an... interesting appointment. Always had a bit of a mixed reputation as a coach, though that was some time ago. Interesting choice to give it to a player's old man rather than necessarily the best for the job

Having said that, if they continue to recruit the way they have in recent years then it won't matter who coaches them.

That's an... interesting appointment. Always had a bit of a mixed reputation as a coach, though that was some time ago. Interesting choice to give it to a player's old man rather than necessarily the best for the job

Having said that, if they continue to recruit the way they have in recent years then it won't matter who coaches them.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Ive heard rumours of some players coming back to UFTG next year now there has been some changes at the top there. Will probably make that decision easier now Galliott is gone, if its true.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Ive heard rumours of some players coming back to UFTG next year now there has been some changes at the top there. Will probably make that decision easier now Galliott is gone, if its true.
IMO, I think clubs in all leagues other than VAFA will need to be cashed up to survive as majority of students these days will only play for coin!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back