List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a narrative, which I agree with, that North desperately need experience. I've seen Pendle's and Boak's names thrown about as potential recruits and now this morning, Parker's in Barratt's sliding doors.

Of those 3, Parker had the most left in him so if I was Norf, I'd be presenting him with a juicy pre retirement offer.

i can't believe any club would chase either of those two
what i've seen of both so far suggests they're pretty much done ... i know they both still have their moments, and that may be a reflection that neither club is flying ...
parker would be a better option, he's probably got more football left in him but i can't see it being anywhere but sydney
it would be utterly irresponsible for north to throw money at either pendlebury or boak ... but then it's north, their draft/trade policies in recent years have ranged from strange to terrible ... and also, it's north, so i don't care

i can't believe any club would chase either of those two
what i've seen of both so far suggests they're pretty much done ... i know they both still have their moments, and that may be a reflection that neither club is flying ...
parker would be a better option, he's probably got more football left in him but i can't see it being anywhere but sydney
it would be utterly irresponsible for north to throw money at either pendlebury or boak ... but then it's north, their draft/trade policies in recent years have ranged from strange to terrible ... and also, it's north, so i don't care
North desperately need leadership on the field and the one thing they should have going for them is a lot of cap space.

There are about 25 players across the comp that they should be trying to buy for a couple of years in a Luke Hodge type move. I'd have Parker and Rampe on that list.

Over summer North brought in a couple of role players in Fisher and Stephens and a couple of desperately needed talls in Nyuon and Pink.
Let's face it none of them is going to provide leadership or move the needle. And 3 of them have already been dropped this season.

North fans routinely want their present captains in McDonald and Simpkin out of the team, never mind out of their leadership roles.

That club is falling apart, reports that LDU and Zurhaar are 'exploring their options' , no player in their prime would surely go there, given such a player would have plenty of suitors, with plenty of dollars.

Luke is exactly the sort of player they need.

Whether he and his partner, with their reno/design business would want to shift would be one consideration as would Luke be willing to leave the Swans.

North are such a basketcase I can see the AFL giving them salary cap exemption (not that they probably need it) to bring in a 30yo plus player and allow him to be exempt from cap.

Sort of sounds in a way we (BF posters) are pushing Luke out, even though we all stress, in an ideal World, we want him to stay.
However sometime planets align and with the pressure on midfield places perhaps a very well paid move to NM would be in everyone's interest?

Over summer North brought in a couple of role players in Fisher and Stephens and a couple of desperately needed talls in Nyuon and Pink.
Let's face it none of them is going to provide leadership or move the needle. And 3 of them have already been dropped this season.

North fans routinely want their present captains in McDonald and Simpkin out of the team, never mind out of their leadership roles.

That club is falling apart, reports that LDU and Zurhaar are 'exploring their options' , no player in their prime would surely go there, given such a player would have plenty of suitors, with plenty of dollars.

Luke is exactly the sort of player they need.

Whether he and his partner, with their reno/design business would want to shift would be one consideration as would Luke be willing to leave the Swans.

North are such a basketcase I can see the AFL giving them salary cap exemption (not that they probably need it) to bring in a 30yo plus player and allow him to be exempt from cap.

Sort of sounds in a way we (BF posters) are pushing Luke out, even though we all stress, in an ideal World, we want him to stay.
However sometime planets align and with the pressure on midfield places perhaps a very well paid move to NM would be in everyone's interest?
Luke Hodge would never lose his love for Hawthorn and any scum fan that hates him is not worth worrying about

Luke Hodge would never lose his love for Hawthorn and any scum fan that hates him is not worth worrying about
Exactly.
If someone like Parker did end up going there for a couple of years, he would still always be a Swan to me. It would be much like I will always think the likes of Hanners, Nick Mal and Schneider as always being Swans.

The Brisbane that Hodge joined were nothing like the basket case that North Melbourne are. Adding a Luke Parker or Scott Pendlebury isn't going to move the dial. Clarkson has now come out and said that the club's training standards aren't up to scratch and adding a veteran player isn't going to change that if Clarkson and Viney and the rest of the assistants don't know how to raise standards.

If I were Parker I couldn't think of anything more depressing than running around with North for a couple of seasons, knowing that you're making practically no difference at all, losing every week and with dwindling crowds watching you, and being trashed by the club's fans on social media because you're not making any difference.

The Brisbane that Hodge joined were nothing like the basket case that North Melbourne are. Adding a Luke Parker or Scott Pendlebury isn't going to move the dial. Clarkson has now come out and said that the club's training standards aren't up to scratch and adding a veteran player isn't going to change that if Clarkson and Viney and the rest of the assistants don't know how to raise standards.

If I were Parker I couldn't think of anything more depressing than running around with North for a couple of seasons, knowing that you're making practically no difference at all, losing every week and with dwindling crowds watching you, and being trashed by the club's fans on social media because you're not making any difference.
Liz, I bow to your knowledge most of the time, but can't agree with your Brisbane/ North comparison and I think you may have forgotten just how bad the Lions were at the time. The similarities between the two and their respective predicaments is pretty interesting.
Brisbane were in a very bad place when Hodge joined in 2018, for the six years prior they had finished - 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th and 18th. Very similar to North for the past six years, from 2018 - 9th, 12th, 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th.
At the end of this year, it will have been Clarkson's second year at the helm of North, just as it was the end of Fagan's second year at the helm of the Lions when Hodge was bought in.
As far as dwindling crowds go, Lions were averaging somewhere around the sub 10k mark throughout that period.
My son in law was a manager of the Gabba at the time, so trust me, they were pretty much as low as they could have possibly been when Hodge joined them.

This. The position of the Lions was very difficult but not close to terminal like nmfc.

Liz, I bow to your knowledge most of the time, but can't agree with your Brisbane/ North comparison and I think you may have forgotten just how bad the Lions were at the time. The similarities between the two and their respective predicaments is pretty interesting.
Brisbane were in a very bad place when Hodge joined in 2018, for the six years prior they had finished - 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th and 18th. Very similar to North for the past six years, from 2018 - 9th, 12th, 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th.
At the end of this year, it will have been Clarkson's second year at the helm of North, just as it was the end of Fagan's second year at the helm of the Lions when Hodge was bought in.
As far as dwindling crowds go, Lions were averaging somewhere around the sub 10k mark throughout that period.
My son in law was a manager of the Gabba at the time, so trust me, they were pretty much as low as they could have possibly been when Hodge joined them.
In 2017 - the season before Hodge joined them - Brisbane won five games and had a percentage of 74%. Although they won the spoon, there was sign of progress from preceding seasons. They were a young squad but they had Daniel Rich in his prime, a developing tall forward in Hipwood (and had just drafted another promising tall forward in Schache, though clearly he didn't work out for them). They had Harris Andrews, whose star was already rising, in defence, supporting by McStay and Gardiner, who were a year or so older than Andrews, and Walker, who was no star but was a competent tall defender in his mid 20s. Zorko, both Beams brothers (before Dayne's meltdown), Mitch Robinson added some mature grunt in the middle. (As did Rockliff, but he left at the end of that season.) Stef Martin was a mature and pretty decent ruckman, and had support from the 22 yo rising McInerney. There was a smattering of other experienced bodies around, like Rising Star winner Lewis Taylor, Ryan Bastinac, Allen Christensen et al.

And before Hodge joined for the 2018 season, they had also secured Charlie Cameron to add class and experience to their forward line. So Hodge wasn't joining a vacuum.

By comparison, North Melbourne look odds on to go winless this season. (OK, they might snatch a game or two, but they're not getting close to five wins for the year.) Their percentage currently sits at 57%. My prediction is that it will get worse before the season starts.

They allowed their main key defender to walk at the end of last season despite having more than enough in their salary cap to match any offer another club could make. They have no quality tall defenders available. Corr is very average, Logue isn't really a key defender and is injured. And they shed their classy - albeit aging - ruck in Goldstein. Xerri looks like he's a good developing ruck but there's nothing in reserve.

Elsewhere around the ground, Davies-Uniacke is quality but injury prone. Larkey is quality. Simpkin has been quality in previous years but is struggling a bit this year. Otherwise, all their quality is young. And unbalanced, with too many midfielders and practically no developing key position prospects. They are severely lacking in quality in that 24-28 age range.

I don't think Luke Hodge would be able to walk into that team - obviously the Luke Hodge of six years ago, not the current one - and make the impact that he did at Brisbane.

In 2017 - the season before Hodge joined them - Brisbane won five games and had a percentage of 74%. Although they won the spoon, there was sign of progress from preceding seasons. They were a young squad but they had Daniel Rich in his prime, a developing tall forward in Hipwood (and had just drafted another promising tall forward in Schache, though clearly he didn't work out for them). They had Harris Andrews, whose star was already rising, in defence, supporting by McStay and Gardiner, who were a year or so older than Andrews, and Walker, who was no star but was a competent tall defender in his mid 20s. Zorko, both Beams brothers (before Dayne's meltdown), Mitch Robinson added some mature grunt in the middle. (As did Rockliff, but he left at the end of that season.) Stef Martin was a mature and pretty decent ruckman, and had support from the 22 yo rising McInerney. There was a smattering of other experienced bodies around, like Rising Star winner Lewis Taylor, Ryan Bastinac, Allen Christensen et al.

And before Hodge joined for the 2018 season, they had also secured Charlie Cameron to add class and experience to their forward line. So Hodge wasn't joining a vacuum.

By comparison, North Melbourne look odds on to go winless this season. (OK, they might snatch a game or two, but they're not getting close to five wins for the year.) Their percentage currently sits at 57%. My prediction is that it will get worse before the season starts.

They allowed their main key defender to walk at the end of last season despite having more than enough in their salary cap to match any offer another club could make. They have no quality tall defenders available. Corr is very average, Logue isn't really a key defender and is injured. And they shed their classy - albeit aging - ruck in Goldstein. Xerri looks like he's a good developing ruck but there's nothing in reserve.

Elsewhere around the ground, Davies-Uniacke is quality but injury prone. Larkey is quality. Simpkin has been quality in previous years but is struggling a bit this year. Otherwise, all their quality is young. And unbalanced, with too many midfielders and practically no developing key position prospects. They are severely lacking in quality in that 24-28 age range.

I don't think Luke Hodge would be able to walk into that team - obviously the Luke Hodge of six years ago, not the current one - and make the impact that he did at Brisbane.
Agree to disagree

It doesn’t need to be an identical situation for a player like Parker to make a positive difference. If training standards are an issue, having a new senior player with high standards would force others to lift their game, and show them what is required.

Brisbane obviously had a lot of pieces come together nicely for their turnaround. Maybe North takes longer, but I think it is hard to argue that a player like Parker would hurt.

Now whether Parker would want to join that basket case of a club is another question. But I reckon he could write his own cheque if wanted to move (for 1-2 very draft picks coming Sydney’s way).

one of brisbane's best signings/hirings was greg swann as ceo ... came with a background of club management success, and a good guy too, which can't be said for a lot of club/league executives
brisbane started drafting for the future around harris andrews et al
north have never had the same direction, their drafting has always seemed aimless and patchwork, and they seem to draft the wrong kind of players ... a lot like melbourne until paul roos joined the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance Carlton might trade Weitering this year as a pre agent? Long shot, but we are desperate for a Big key defender with McCartin's uncertain future and Blues could lose him for less next season. I'd easily put two firsts on the table this year.

Any chance Carlton might trade Weitering this year as a pre agent? Long shot, but we are desperate for a Big key defender with McCartin's uncertain future and Blues could lose him for less next season. I'd easily put two firsts on the table this year.
Let’s hope Edwards comes on

Reckon we need a KF

I wish lol, more likely to get a trade ban afterwards!!! Especially when he is part of the Baggers.

But yes he would be the dream.

oh geez, yes!

No ******* chance blues would do that.

Massive price tag trade wise for him too

Will Edwards.
This guy can mark, tackle, has a booming kick and is growing in confidence. He will play 200 games for us.
On board.
Train is ready to leave …

Will Edwards.
This guy can mark, tackle, has a booming kick and is growing in confidence. He will play 200 games for us.
On board.
Train is ready to leave …
Yeah I haven't seen much of him at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back