List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn’t need to be an identical situation for a player like Parker to make a positive difference. If training standards are an issue, having a new senior player with high standards would force others to lift their game, and show them what is required.

Brisbane obviously had a lot of pieces come together nicely for their turnaround. Maybe North takes longer, but I think it is hard to argue that a player like Parker would hurt.

Now whether Parker would want to join that basket case of a club is another question. But I reckon he could write his own cheque if wanted to move (for 1-2 very draft picks coming Sydney’s way).
I am guessing North won't do anything themselves to try and improve their situation, they will just go begging to the AFL.

But if I was them, both Parker and Rampe would be at the top of my list of players to drive a dump truck of money over to their house.

Let’s hope Edwards comes on

Reckon we need a KF

I’m not convinced we need a key forward beyond what we have given so many grand finalists and premiers of recent years have been able to get by without having one or two dominant key forwards. I think you can cobble together a good enough forward line with competitive talls and clever, hard working smalls. Logan is kinda a mix of being a clever tall who has excellent skills without being a really physical tall.

I do think key defender is something we might need to continue working on because of McCartin’s concussions and while premier and grand finalists don’t often have dominant forwards lately, they do have excellent key defenders and interceptors.

Well... Moraes is a swans fan and wants to build his game like JPK....

Make It So Star Trek GIF

I’m not convinced we need a key forward beyond what we have given so many grand finalists and premiers of recent years have been able to get by without having one or two dominant key forwards. I think you can cobble together a good enough forward line with competitive talls and clever, hard working smalls. Logan is kinda a mix of being a clever tall who has excellent skills without being a really physical tall.

I do think key defender is something we might need to continue working on because of McCartin’s concussions and while premier and grand finalists don’t often have dominant forwards lately, they do have excellent key defenders and interceptors.

Logan is still coming on as well. His only just turned 22 and has shown physical signs before.

Give him a few years and I imagine he will be clunking a few more contested marks.

That being said, it isn't really our game, Logan is on track for a 40 odd goal year and has other weapons to his bow.

There are very few other young players I would be trading him for.

Logan is still coming on as well. His only just turned 22 and has shown physical signs before.

Give him a few years and I imagine he will be clunking a few more contested marks.

That being said, it isn't really our game, Logan is on track for a 40 odd goal year and has other weapons to his bow.

There are very few other young players I would be trading him for.
My view: the absolute WORST thing we could do is sell the farm for a key forward …. as it is rumoured we tried to do with Naughton.

And Daniher before that.

My view: the absolute WORST thing we could do is sell the farm for a key forward …. as it is rumoured we tried to do with Naughton.

And Daniher before that.

Have to agree, they just don't suit how we play.

Obviously think JUH would fit in rather nicely 😉 but would much rather us either target a high quality key back or keep our picks and hit the draft (especially with Tasmania coming through in the next few years).

Im worried we are pumping up for a big forward. I don’t think we have enough stars to be struggling to retain Haywood and Florent, so I suspect there are big potential plays afoot.

It was interesting hearing Adam’s podcast where he mentioned that in the year the Giants were planning to attract Buddy, they cut Adam’s offer in half with no reason given, and then when the Buddy deal collapsed they upped Adam’s offer again - by which point Adam’s had decided he wanted to be somewhere he was wanted.

Or maybe a key defender, but I don’t think there are many on the market this year?

And Daniher before that.
It would be dumb dumb dumb and show we have learnt nothing from the Buddy years.

1. Stars forwards don’t win premierships, teams do - and you need cap space to have a good team.

2. Stars forwards may help bring people through the gates if you are a middling side - but winning is more effective (see yesterday's record crowd for a H&A game). To play good football, refer to 1.

Agree a big name full forward at big $$$ is not what we need. We have a good forward mix and midfielders that can get on the scoreboard. Two of our forwards can ruck as well which avoids Grundy resting forward. Another key defender and a high pressure small forward to back up Wicks would be ideal and try and retain Logan and Hayward. If we do have to trade Logan then we need to turn high picks into a ready made replacement rather than go to the draft. We have the core of a really good team which we need to keep together.

Agree a big name full forward at big $$$ is not what we need. We have a good forward mix and midfielders that can get on the scoreboard. Two of our forwards can ruck as well which avoids Grundy resting forward. Another key defender and a high pressure small forward to back up Wicks would be ideal and try and retain Logan and Hayward. If we do have to trade Logan then we need to turn high picks into a ready made replacement rather than go to the draft. We have the core of a really good team which we need to keep together.
We are not trading Logan !

Actually quite happy with where our list is at.

Maybe need a developed KPD, medium tall fwd (if Hayward goes) and a small defender.

I do have high hopes after watching Edwards develop as a KPD. Medium tall will likely be taken by a resting mid short term. Small defender can come late.

Maybe a big bodied mid?
Or a Rampe replacement (hard to find)

Watching Weitering monster the Pies the other night, even in defeat, really made me pine for a big, reliable gorilla down back.

I know Melican and McCartin are having great seasons, and Rampe was brilliant yesterday, but all 3 are injury risks and whilst Francis and Hamling might be ok depth, we're probably in trouble if they're playing more than a handful of games. Look at what the likes of Weitering, May, Stewart, Moore and Taylor do for their teams.

The forward line is working and we've got great midfield depth. It's down back we need reinforcements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually quite happy with where our list is at.

Maybe need a developed KPD, medium tall fwd (if Hayward goes) and a small defender.

I do have high hopes after watching Edwards develop as a KPD. Medium tall will likely be taken by a resting mid short term. Small defender can come late.

Maybe a big bodied mid?
Or a Rampe replacement (hard to find)
Have been quietly confident on Edwards since his Academy days. Was very happy when we picked him up.

North desperately need leadership on the field and the one thing they should have going for them is a lot of cap space.

There are about 25 players across the comp that they should be trying to buy for a couple of years in a Luke Hodge type move. I'd have Parker and Rampe on that list.
Rampe's too old to help norf. But if I were Norf I'd definitely make offers to Parker and Fox.
Fox is just good at football. Has high training standards and is under appreciated by Swans coaches. That's the kind of player that improves football clubs. Not HUGE money for guys on a pension drive - rarely works IMO.

I'm honestly stumped why clubs like Norf or GC didn't offer Fox a contract last time. He deserves better pay than the Swans have given him.

Have been quietly confident on Edwards since his Academy days. Was very happy when we picked him up.

in the bits of seconds games i've seen recently, edwards has looked pretty good, has a bit of a presence to him, looks pretty assured

in the bits of seconds games i've seen recently, edwards has looked pretty good, has a bit of a presence to him, looks pretty assured
Look, if Edwards is our next big hope, he needs to be in the firsts now. Tom may be 1 more concussion away from retirement and Edwards needs to gain experience ASAP. Wouldn't want to throw him in the deep end without Tom to guide him.

Look, if Edwards is our next big hope, he needs to be in the firsts now. Tom may be 1 more concussion away from retirement and Edwards needs to gain experience ASAP. Wouldn't want to throw him in the deep end without Tom to guide him.

I agree get him some exposure while Rampe is still playing as well.

Whatever the trajectory of Edwards is, he couldn't be at a better club to progress towards an AFL debut. Although not playing with guys like Rampe and McCartin, he still gets to pick their brains and learn from them at training. On game day, he has a premiership back in Hamling to guide him (except when he moves forward and kicks 3 snags) along with Francis, who is also very experienced. When we call on him, he will be ready.

Last edited:
I really like Hayward and hopes that he stays but the reported price tag on his head is 800k according to HSun.

If thats accurate i dont think we can match that.
Why? Dogs just signed JUH for $1m for another 2 years after Naughton last year. Surely we can fit $700-800k in our cap if we want to.

Why? Dogs just signed JUH for $1m for another 2 years after Naughton last year. Surely we can fit $700-800k in our cap if we want to.
What if we had to pay 650k to afford both him and McDonald? If you pay Hayward 800k you can't keep McDonald but Hayward won't accept less than 800k? Who do you pick?

Just a hypothetical

Rampe's too old to help norf. But if I were Norf I'd definitely make offers to Parker and Fox.
Fox is just good at football. Has high training standards and is under appreciated by Swans coaches. That's the kind of player that improves football clubs. Not HUGE money for guys on a pension drive - rarely works IMO.

I'm honestly stumped why clubs like Norf or GC didn't offer Fox a contract last time. He deserves better pay than the Swans have given him.
North aren't in a normal position. They need proper experience and leadership, not fringe players from other clubs.

Rampe or Parker would be perfect pickups for them. Proper leaders and still good players. Just like when GWS and Melbourne added older players to their list to help their younger players develop.

We don't have anything to worry about though as North won't do anything smart at the end of the year, they will just ask the AFL for more draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back