Injury 2024 Injury Updates Thread

Are we having a lot of issues with Hamstrings or are we just being more conservative this year? We've had a few one week hammies and or awareness/tightness, sent in for scans but fine to play.
We have always been conservative with soft tissue injuries. In the good old days there were one week hammies and 3 week hammies but no 2 week hammies. Now with sophisticated scanning if there is no finding at all and you feel good, you play. If there is minor damage shown (sometimes described as a nick) it is one week. And the traditional hamstring tear is 3 weeks.

I don't think anything has changed this year.

Are we having a lot of issues with Hamstrings or are we just being more conservative this year? We've had a few one week hammies and or awareness/tightness, sent in for scans but fine to play.

Does seem like there have been a few but not sure it’s more than any other team or season. Mostly in the power athletes like JHF and Jones.

I do wonder if we have higher than average injury runs in younger players. Marshall, McCallum, Jackson, Sinn etc have all had recurrent issues.

This 2 - 3 weeks for McCallum is ridiculous at this point. Why do they just keep on saying that? Just say TBC or something.
If McCallum is still on the Power list when the Tassie team comes into the comp he would have to be a strong chance to be traded to them, but he would have to improve significantly on what he has shown so far at sanfl level for either of those scenarios to eventuate.

The question is how many weeks has he been playing injured? Never change Bottom Ten Ken.
Yeah, bleedingly obvious they went with two rucks to ‘give him a rest’, rather than either a real rest or in for surgery earlier.

The continual playing of injured players is the one that gets me about player loyalty to the fraud. Sure they may rather be connected then successful, but are none able to see Hinkley will (and repeatedly) has worsened players health for his short term gain many times?

This is a 4 to 6 weeks injury, and like Wines, he will be playing sore for many weeks after that till he is fully over it. Basically, he will be compromised for the much of the year IMO.

Has taken me 12 months to be fully over mine, and that is with just normal activities - not playing elite sports!

This idea that Hinkley has 100% say on when a player plays injured or not is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

I think it’s just easy to blame him for everything but what are the fitness and medical staff for?

Looks like we’ve erred on the side of caution with hamstrings this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is a 4 to 6 weeks injury, and like Wines, he will be playing sore for many weeks after that till he is fully over it. Basically, he will be compromised for the much of the year IMO.

Has taken me 12 months to be fully over mine, and that is with just normal activities - not playing elite sports!

I'd go with 4 weeks but he's he's carrying 110 kilos plus around for 80% game time. Soldo getting injured is about as predictable as it gets. We should be rotating him 2 weeks on 1 week off.

An elite athlete should be able to recover quicker

Hey guys, the fact port said soldo will have his lateral meniscus 'tidy'd up' makes me think the he will be back within the next 3-4 weeks, it doesnt sound like he ruptured it, the lateral meniscus is alot easier surgry than the medial meniscus as it doesnt connect to any other ligaments of the knee unlike the medial meniscus, this means the damage is likely isolated (easier to recover and back to footy quicker).

This idea that Hinkley has 100% say on when a player plays injured or not is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

I think it’s just easy to blame him for everything but what are the fitness and medical staff for?

Looks like we’ve erred on the side of caution with hamstrings this year.

Have we erred on the side of caution or was that just the party line repeated to the media after they let JHF (the clubs most valuable asset) train for a full week with a strain?

An elite athlete should be able to recover quicker

Quicker than what?

It took me 10 weeks to be moving without pain. An elite footballer within an elite program will halve that ... Hence my estimate of 4 to 6 weeks. Anything less than that is 1] dreaming, or 2] Madness!

Even then, the knee will be compromised, so he wont be back to 100% use, or 100% confidence in it for another 2 to 3 months (took me a good 6 mths). That is not a guess on my part, it is fact, based on what happens to every AFL player who undergoes knee arthroscopy surgery. As mentioned, Wines' entire season was pus after his meniscus surgery. And for Soldo, a big 110kg lump of a bloke, he will have to treat it very carefully until it is 100%

Back