Prediction 2024 Jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, they already have the Darren Millane award for best clubman. Maybe as 76woodenspooners cleverly suggested, we put a small 42 on the nape of every jumper?

It was somebody else who suggested the small 42 on the nape of every jumper.

Not a fan of that particular idea myself unless it’s a one-off for a heritage round game or something like that. Footy should be accessible and appeal to everybody, and wouldn’t have thought going OTT over honouring somebody who died over 30 years ago is a way to endear the code/club to young folks (nor would it be appropriate IMO).

It was somebody else who suggested the small 42 on the nape of every jumper.

Not a fan of that particular idea myself unless it’s a one-off for a heritage round game or something like that. Footy should be accessible and appeal to everybody, and wouldn’t have thought going OTT over honouring somebody who died over 30 years ago is a way to endear the code/club to young folks (nor would it be appropriate IMO).
How about in heritage round EVERY player wears 42!?

I get your point, however, I don't believe Millane was a "damn fine player". He was a great player. He was a game changer and a match winner. He was a skilled, tough and fierce player feared by opposition players. Collinwood has not seen a player such as Millane since his sad demise.
Sorry folks, but as you can see from my post above, I never said anything about the jumper retirement. I made a point that Millane was far more than a "damn fine player". IMO both he and Daicos were by far the most valuable two players in that team. Both were superstars in their time.
I love Bruzzy, but he is no Millane. I agree that the game has changed, but Millane would still be a superstar in today's game.

I was thinking that also...but I dunno a senior player changing numbers and losing original is why I didn't post same Idea
You’d leave their original number unallocated for 12 months, which isn’t ideal. Would also need full player buy in to work.

Sorry folks, but as you can see from my post above, I never said anything about the jumper retirement. I made a point that Millane was far more than a "damn fine player". IMO both he and Daicos were by far the most valuable two players in that team. Both were superstars in their time.
I love Bruzzy, but he is no Millane. I agree that the game has changed, but Millane would still be a superstar in today's game.

Just gotta back you up here. Bruzzy is a fine half back and he bleeds black and white but Millane would have destroyed him had the two faced up on a footy field. Millane was freakish in his movements which were "catlike" (he could take towering marks and then land on his feet and bound away in the same motion). Millane was a matchwinner and a heart and soul player at a time when CFC needed heroes, he led by his actions. He had an aura and a strut not unlike Brereton or Matthews and he was ours.
People saying oppo players were "scared" of him are correct. But they were afraid of both Pants and Daics because of what they could both do on the field. Millane was a bull of a player a wingman who could play CHF if need be and he would easily dominate in today's game just as he did back then.

I've made my thoughts clear on the "42" many times before, it needs to be out there running around honouring him on the field. We didn't retire Wayne Gordon's 13 when he died early nor Johnny MaCarthey's number 3....and we definitely didn't retire Johnny Greening's 22 when that StKilda Thug O'Dea damn near killed him.

Bring back 42 and lets remember Pants properly.

This feels...somewhat disingenuous (for lack of a better word)

What player in today's competition is feared? Genuinely feared? The only reason players were "feared" pre-2005 or so is because players used to go out of their way to legitimately hurt each other.

I would argue that Maynard is 1000% the modern incarnation of Millane. Equally as tough, fierce, just as skilled (if not more so, I think most older players definitely get the benefit of the rose coloured boost) and like Millane, a great clubman adored by his teammates.

He actually would have been the perfect player to take that jumper over.

No one would undersell what Millane was to the club, but let's not get too carried away. He was - to put it nicely, a larrikin off the field and died doing something wildly irresponsible. So much so, the now infamous TAC TV ads basically started because of him.

It's been 30 years. Reckon it's probably been long enough where the club can quite reasonably come up with another way to honour Darren and allow the number back into circulation. I mean, they already have the Darren Millane award for best clubman. Maybe as 76woodenspooners cleverly suggested, we put a small 42 on the nape of every jumper? Maybe they could also be more measured about whom to give the 42 to and reserve it for players who embody both physically and spiritually what made Darren so great and so loved? Like Maynard.

But if the 42 is on the back of EVERY jumper, I'm not sure how much more of an acknowledgement you can get.

If the Club truly is bigger than any individual, I would argue the Club is also bigger than any individual's Mum?
Too many deaths each year are caused by this on our roads. Millane learnt his lesson the hard way.

I am surprised we no longer look to partner up with road safety/anti-drink driving groups when we have the example. This would be another way to honour his memory - ensuring others are not mourning the death of a loved one.

If anything, I wish we had used Millane's example to remind the Rat Pack they were not as invincible like they thought they were. Their actions were quite similar in some regards but we didn't do much to stop them until eventually most of them were traded on. On top of his tongue, my one criticism of Eddie (and generally, I think he was a good president) would be he bailed players out a little too much and sympathised poor behaviour.

I think TAC dumped us when Cloke3 had a driving incident and we decided not to align with sponsors where there was revenue risk again (in that era)

I love how Bruzzy goes about it. And he is as close as this cohort has to a Milane.
But
Milane had 10 x the influence and fear factor Bruzz generates.
Opposition players would shrink from a contest to avoid Pants.
I even recall seeing Doug Hawkins shirking contests with him at Vic park.

Milane is up there with Leigh Matthews for shear physical intimidation on the field, and backed up with skill.

Should put a little 42 on the top of the back of every jumper. Would have real meaning with everyone wearing it and a constant reminder to young draftees not just about what a great, and caring clubman Pants was, but also about making good choices.
I reckon if you were going to put a number on everyone's jumper, there'd be a few you'd choose ahead of Millane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about in heritage round EVERY player wears 42!?
"You know that little ball you put on the aerial so you can find your car in a parking lot? That should be on every car!"

I like the idea of having a full contingent of numbers again but any move to un-retire #42 would need to be tactful. Millane's mother and two sons have rejected previous calls to un-retire it, and while we can sit here and say "it was 30 years ago, we need to move on" that kind of approach isn't going to go down well with the people that have felt his absence every day within those 30 years.

The 42 stays retired until the family says so.
It was a promise from the club.
Unless you want the club to go back on a promise?

If I search your post history, would I find that you were one of the many many supporters who thought we should have broken our promise (contract!) with Buckley that he take over the reins at the end of the 2011 season?

Promises and contracts can and are broken all the time, it’s how you go about it. I reckon a vote at the AGM would be the appropriate way we go about this one.

I like the idea of having a full contingent of numbers again but any move to un-retire #42 would need to be tactful. Millane's mother and two sons have rejected previous calls to un-retire it, and while we can sit here and say "it was 30 years ago, we need to move on" that kind of approach isn't going to go down well with the people that have felt his absence every day within those 30 years.
Yep, but there are plenty of families who have felt the loss of a Collingwood great family member every day and their numbers aren't retired.

I think TAC dumped us when Cloke3 had a driving incident and we decided not to align with sponsors where there was revenue risk again (in that era)

I love how Bruzzy goes about it. And he is as close as this cohort has to a Milane.
But
Milane had 10 x the influence and fear factor Bruzz generates.
Opposition players would shrink from a contest to avoid Pants.
I even recall seeing Doug Hawkins shirking contests with him at Vic park.

Milane is up there with Leigh Matthews for shear physical intimidation on the field, and backed up with skill.

It was Wellingham’s .05 charge wasn’t it?

Edit: what VP said

Just gotta back you up here. Bruzzy is a fine half back and he bleeds black and white but Millane would have destroyed him had the two faced up on a footy field. Millane was freakish in his movements which were "catlike" (he could take towering marks and then land on his feet and bound away in the same motion). Millane was a matchwinner and a heart and soul player at a time when CFC needed heroes, he led by his actions. He had an aura and a strut not unlike Brereton or Matthews and he was ours.
People saying oppo players were "scared" of him are correct. But they were afraid of both Pants and Daics because of what they could both do on the field. Millane was a bull of a player a wingman who could play CHF if need be and he would easily dominate in today's game just as he did back then.

I've made my thoughts clear on the "42" many times before, it needs to be out there running around honouring him on the field. We didn't retire Wayne Gordon's 13 when he died early nor Johnny MaCarthey's number 3....and we definitely didn't retire Johnny Greening's 22 when that StKilda Thug O'Dea damn near killed him.

Bring back 42 and lets remember Pants properly.
It brings me back to the drawn final against West Coast in 1990. They had us cold until, in the dying moments of the final quarter, Millane took on Worsefold in a brutal contest for a loose pill in our forward pocket. He took out Worsefold to get the ball to Daics on the boundary line who magically spun perhaps his greatest goal of all time to give us a 1 point lead. The rest was history. By far my most favorite passage of footy of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back