2024 Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking Brayshaw kicking our second goal from 50 against Bulldogs in the elimination final last year. If thats not backing yourself from 50 in a big moment, then I don't know what is.

All but one of the goals mentioned were set shots from outside fifty.

Not sure we have any mid on our list capable of doing that tbh. Literally can’t remember any of our mids nailing a set shot from outside fifty. On the run from outside fifty is quite different though.

I know Young has kicked a goal before, but can't remember if it was from 50 or not.
I think Young kicked a set shot from about 50m in the Round 3 derby this year. He is one I would definitely back in to kick one from long range when the pressure is on, ala De Goey, Crisp etc.

I’m scarred by the memories of Isaac Smith in Q4 of 2013 GF and Matt Suckling in Q3 of 2015 Prelim.

It’s hard to recall Freo mids doing similar damage. Mundy in his 300th against WB comes to mind. He kicked two from 50m. One set shot and one on the run…brought the absolute house down.

A respectful question on the goal-kicking midfield discussion…

Which of our midfielders do you think would have kicked any of the following goals that Collingwood got from their mids on Saturday?

• De Goey’s set shot from outside 50 in the first quarter.
  • Either of Crisp’s set shots from outside 50 in the second quarter.
  • De Goey’s shot on the run from 50 in the last quarter.
  • Sidebottom’s set shot from outside 50 in the last quarter.

It’s a genuine question (not a smart arsey one). There was also the Pendlebury set shot in the third, which I’d be confident in our mids to convert.
Brayshaw on the run could probably replicate DeGoeys second.
That’s about it.
You are comparing our guys to an outstanding midfield there though, so probably a touch unfair. Those goals were so clutch, it wasn’t just the skill execution. It was the pressure, the moment, the Occassion. They rose to it.
Great players grasp the biggest moments and elevate themselves. We have literally no idea how most of our players would do on a stage like that, as only Fyfe and Walters have ever played in a game that big under that kind of pressure. As we all know the goal kicking wasn’t hectic that day 😢

I guess, we have players that could kick those goals,every team does, but maybe only one or two shots out of ten. That’s the real difference.
That Sidebottom goal was outstanding - very few midfield players in the comp could nail one of the biggest moments of their career like that. One of the cleanest ball strikes you will ever see from one of the most underrated players of the last decade.

All but one of the goals mentioned were set shots from outside fifty.

Not sure we have any mid on our list capable of doing that tbh. Literally can’t remember any of our mids nailing a set shot from outside fifty. On the run from outside fifty is quite different though.
Darcy definately has.

Another irritating thing for me with this whole "set shots from outside 50" thing is that Collingwood were only forced to rely on that because a bunch of their forwards s**t the bed by the time finals came along. It was nice that their midfielders were able to pick up the slack once things plan a failed, but I reckon moving forward we can afford rely a little more on our forwards on set shot kicking than they did on their forwards.

Another irritating thing for me with this whole "set shots from outside 50" thing is that Collingwood were only forced to rely on that because a bunch of their forwards s**t the bed by the time finals came along. It was nice that their midfielders were able to pick up the slack once things plan a failed, but I reckon moving forward we can afford rely a little more on our forwards on set shot kicking than they did on their forwards.
It would be nice if we had midfielders that could kick goals to take pressure off our forwards.

Brayshaw on the run could probably replicate DeGoeys second.
That’s about it.
You are comparing our guys to an outstanding midfield there though, so probably a touch unfair. Those goals were so clutch, it wasn’t just the skill execution. It was the pressure, the moment, the Occassion. They rose to it.
Great players grasp the biggest moments and elevate themselves. We have literally no idea how most of our players would do on a stage like that, as only Fyfe and Walters have ever played in a game that big under that kind of pressure. As we all know the goal kicking wasn’t hectic that day 😢

I guess, we have players that could kick those goals,every team does, but maybe only one or two shots out of ten. That’s the real difference.
That Sidebottom goal was outstanding - very few midfield players in the comp could nail one of the biggest moments of their career like that. One of the cleanest ball strikes you will ever see from one of the most underrated players of the last decade.
tbf with this example no one would have said sidebottom would have kicked that before the weekend though, cometh the moment cometh the man

I found it funny this time last season, some dockers fans predicted we were gonna be top 4 in 2023 despite losing some experience. Guess what? We finished 14th and have no top 5 pick.

We are mid table.

Dockers will finish anywhere between 5th to 14th. More likely 7th to 10th in 2024.

I found it funny this time last season, some dockers fans predicted we were gonna be top 4 in 2023 despite losing some experience. Guess what? We finished 14th and have no top 5 pick.

We are mid table.

Dockers will finish anywhere between 5th to 14th. More likely 7th to 10th in 2024.
While you’re correct, I think the list management team (and many supporters) underestimated the loss of Mundy and overestimated our depth for the wing positions going into the year. When you look at who our replacements were supposed to be for each of those who left on paper we had the potential to improve however due to form, injury or both we didn’t.
Lobb < Jackson
Mundy > JOM (Later in the year we rectified this with Young, took too long but we got there)
Logue < Chapman (on paper this looked ok, no one knew Chappy would be out all year).
Acres = NOD (again, logical replacement failed due to form/injury)
Tucker < Johnson
Meek > Reidy (could have gone for a more ready made replacement, not sure who else was available)

They were clearly worried about the forwards being so young, spending all preseason training Fyfe as a forward and bringing in Corbett and Emmett. The Fyfe experiment failed and Corbett is WAFL grade at best. Emmett looks like he has potential though which could free up Frederick to play more minutes on the wing.
Wagner was a replacement for Wilson and Davies is the Hamling replacement.
Draper and Williams are free hits, both will take a while to develop.

In short, the injuries to Chapman and NOD hurt us way more than we anticipated and our drop was harder than predicted. However it was still a 10 win season.

I am quietly confident the rise of Johnson and moving Young to the midfield permanently will address a lot of our 2023 issues, no idea what we do with all of Fyfe, JOM and Brodie though. We desperately need Chappy back to fill the holes left by Logue and young in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fyfe experiment can’t have failed because it was never seriously conducted. He played one game forward after which it became known that he had plantar fasciitis and shouldn’t really have been playing. When he came back, he was put in the midfield because we needed the big body.
Well, by all reports we have given up on the Fyfe forward thing and he’ll be training with the midfield this preseason, so it was a wasted preseason last year training him as a forward.

Well, by all reports we have given up on the Fyfe forward thing and he’ll be training with the midfield this preseason, so it was a wasted preseason last year training him as a forward.
Got to try different things, hopefully (but not shown), Fyfey has learnt something positive in his goal kicking technique

Just did some calculations and I'd expect our average age come the end of the year to be sitting around the 25.5 mark and average games to be sitting around the 90-95 game mark should our best 23 from this season stay fit and onfield.

Next year we should be regularly fielding the following players as a hundred gamers should they stay fit and selected:
Ryan
Pearce
Cox
Aish
Brayshaw
Darcy
Schultz
Walters
O'Meara
Fyfe

And by the end of the year the following should join them:
Clark
Serong

Where our experience and age lets us down is in the key forward group:
Amiss
Treacy
Jackson

So I can see us losing a few games due to inconsistency up front - but finals should be the bare minimum expectation for this group.

Anywhere from 7-15 for me

If 15 gives us a pick to go for hopefully and established McDonald, then bring on season 25 where we should be targeting top 4-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will finish as high as their belief and focus takes them.

Despite the less than expected results of 23, there were enough glimpses to see that they have what it takes to match it with any of the top 4 teams - on their day. I think Young in the middle next year will be the talk of the town, we sorely missed Mundy and an inform Brodie this season but that should improve.

Amiss will improve, which equates to the scoreboard and hell yeah, so will Jackson. And that kid Emmett, he must be absolutely champing at the bit for next season after that little sniff in 23, he might just be that forward wild card already that Walls is out shopping for now.

Darcy staying on is unsung leadership, his way of showing commitment to the club and the cause that will not go un-noticed collectively by his teammates, you can’t buy that type of belief (lol well maybe we just did!).

I also think the club should implement some kind of bye protocol (can we have it shifted… like early March?!), a bye strategy that keeps the group together. It would be an opportune time to have a physical break, but leverage the time to key in on the mental side collectively as we basically head into the equivalent of the seasons 3rd quarter where they say GF’s are won and lost. We completely took our eyes off the ball for the second season in a row, losing focus and momentum after rolling Melbourne both times and hitting the bye only to mentally leave the station, I hope we have learnt from that.

It’s all going to click at some point, Impossible to know where we end up, If we can stay on a roll, leverage the swings in momentum and aka Ted Lasso “believe” then who says they can’t make a significant jump northward?

Positivity is key to 24, and that’s where my head will be come bounce down round 1 👍🏻

Last edited:
Just did some calculations and I'd expect our average age come the end of the year to be sitting around the 25.5 mark and average games to be sitting around the 90-95 game mark should our best 23 from this season stay fit and onfield.

Next year we should be regularly fielding the following players as a hundred gamers should they stay fit and selected:
Ryan
Pearce
Cox
Aish
Brayshaw
Darcy
Schultz
Walters
O'Meara
Fyfe

And by the end of the year the following should join them:
Clark
Serong

Amiss
Treacy
Jackson

So I can see us losing a few games due to inconsistency up front - but finals should be the bare minimum expectation for this group.
Thanks for the work, solid and clear.
I can't agree with:
Amiss
Treacy
Jackson

The example proves age/experience ain't everything. Amiss kicks 41 goals - that's great at any age. Yes, he will get better, but it's hard to call a 41 goaler a let-down.
Same applies to Jackson.
Treacy is the one where I think you are dead right - to me he shows all the characteristics of a great player (bar his marking) but will take 3 years or so to get near his best.

I can't agree with:
Amiss
Treacy
Jackson

The example proves age/experience ain't everything. Amiss kicks 41 goals - that's great at any age. Yes, he will get better, but it's hard to call a 41 goaler a let-down.
Same applies to Jackson.
Treacy is the one where I think you are dead right - to me he shows all the characteristics of a great player (bar his marking) but will take 3 years or so to get near his best.
Amiss is an absolute legend in the making but, the dude averages like 8 touches a game. Doesn't have the fitness (or preseason) to stay involved as much as mature KPFs do.

It's also why we should be ridiculously excited about him, he kicks 40 goals off no preseason and with limited touches. Imagine him at 25 with a full preseason and 15-20 touches per game!

I can't agree with:
Amiss
Treacy
Jackson

Same applies to Jackson.
Treacy doesn’t get beaten too often in contested marks, at worst it’s a groundball. Any decent rovers will gorge themselves on the spill.
ATM that’s Shultz playing a lone hand.
Needs a partner in crime, who can also hit the scoreboard.

Amiss is an absolute legend in the making but, the dude averages like 8 touches a game. Doesn't have the fitness (or preseason) to stay involved as much as mature KPFs do.

It's also why we should be ridiculously excited about him, he kicks 40 goals off no preseason and with limited touches. Imagine him at 25 with a full preseason and 15-20 touches per game!
Josh Kennedy averaged about 10.5 touches per game over his career because he was played close to goal as that’s where he was most dangerous.

Jye is that type of player & has modelled his game on Kennedy. I don’t think we need him getting that many touches to be effective, but your right just another 5 touches a game will be extremely exciting.

Treacy doesn’t get beaten too often in contested marks, at worst it’s a groundball. Any decent rovers will gorge themselves on the spill.
ATM that’s Shultz playing a lone hand.
Needs a partner in crime, who can also hit the scoreboard.
Could already have that guy in Emmett. His lightning hands could be a real weapon when roving the crumbs. Plus he’s a tackling machine so there shouldn’t be too many easy rebounds for the opposition defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back