2024 Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

If you argument is based on the personnel, you'd need to explain why JL is expected to get the 2nd youngest team into finals. That is not consistent with reality for probably 99% of 2nd youngest teams.

For contrast, the Hawks are the only younger team (and not by much) and they were even worse than us in the first half of the year and about the same in the second. We also beat them comfortably twice. Yet, most of the rhetoric around them is how well they are going (and I agree) and how rubbish we are. How do you reconcile that? I'm making the assumption that you think the Hawks are going ok given where they are at in their build.
Sam Mitchel has a lot less coaching experience than JLo and that fact shouldn’t be underestimated. I’m not sure comparison to Hawks is valid in this case since you’re bringing it up as a defence of JLo’s performance as a coach.

Just for the record. I’m not calling for JLO to be sacked. Yet.
He does need to improve a fair bit though next year to be given a new contract. Play shambolic games multiple teams like we did this year vs North for example and the heat should be on him 100%.

Sam Mitchel has a lot less coaching experience than JLo and that fact shouldn’t be underestimated. I’m not sure comparison to Hawks is valid in this case since you’re bringing it up as a defence of JLo’s performance as a coach.
Sure, but the difference in coaching experience doesn't account for the fellating of the Hawks and the boots being stuck into us for basically the same list demographics but a better season. It's wildly inconsistent.

And even if that argument was true, he was 3 wins, significant % and 2-0 head to head better anyway. Maybe the difference in experience is why JL is better this year?

He'll get heat next year if we don't improve, but that's not the same as a sure thing to be sacked at the bye like many seem to think.

Some good points in this thread. Experience is key to making finals and we are still very young. My pass mark for JLo would be implementing a game plan that's aggressive and fast paced, making use of the speed we have on all lines. Seriously folks, you can't use experience as an excuse for having a slow and conservative game plan in today's era. That Collingwood poster on our board was right, if your game plan isn't to score at all costs than it's redundant.

Thought we'd finish around 10-12 this season.

2024 - 10th

Could potentially sneak into finals, but I doubt we're good enough for long enough.

Forwards still too young, though Amiss is truly special.

Mids still can't be relied on week in and week out

Although this is probably for a separate thread, 2024 is time for O'Driscoll and Chapman to actually deliver

Some good points in this thread. Experience is key to making finals and we are still very young. My pass mark for JLo would be implementing a game plan that's aggressive and fast paced, making use of the speed we have on all lines. Seriously folks, you can't use experience as an excuse for having a slow and conservative game plan in today's era. That Collingwood poster on our board was right, if your game plan isn't to score at all costs than it's redundant.
Game plans are based around the talent & type of player you have at your disposal. This year was a massive feeling out period for coaches & players & the style of football we need to play.
We can’t play like Collingwood because they won the flag or like GWS because they play exciting football. The coaches need to work out what suits our best 25 game style wise & be confident enough to run with that. That may be something new or more likely a hybrid of what is already working across the competition.
The end of the season was reasonably positive & our footy against the best teams was competitive as a whole.
This season has made us closer to that final product & the preseason is massive in developing, improving & implementing that game style.

Soooo this thread was to predict where we finish in 2024, not be bagging out JLo, that’s a different thread. I can’t see us making finals in 2024.

It’s not talent that’s for sure, we have never had so many first round picks
Playing.
Sure you need some experienced heads to guide the youth but you could
argue why WC scared the hell out of the AFL in such a short period from
the start?
That team had mostly home grown talent , and some became superstars.
Malthouse fuelled the us against them, biased umpiring, father sons, etc
and the team physically and mentally became a powerhouse.
Until we have that type of drive coming from the coaching group we will
always be wasting talent.
Yes we capable of playing finals, intimidating is another question.

We did have a decent last 5 games.

Should’ve beaten Brisbane. Port we were never really in it and that was the only disappointing one. That Sydney game we had control in the last half.

So we ended the year playing decent footy. It’s all about recapturing it. I hope we stick to gameplan/fitness/skills in the Pre season and stay away from pointless match sims/scratch matches. I know it’s fun reading reports on Bigfooty but I feel like too many are detrimental.

We need to come back fitter, stronger and playing a brand that suits our personnel.

Our best can match it with anyone at any venue.
Our problem, which has seemed a problem for 30 years is we can’t bury sides nor can we put the foot on the throat when up by 2 goals and in control.
Forget about ‘contest’. Can we just find a way to score efficiently when given opportunities.

Amiss, Treacy, Jackson, Shultz, Walters, Frederick can all hit the scoreboard and there’s tremendous growth there.

But again as always we need more goals from other areas, mainly mids.

No one jumps out as that goal kicking mid player.

If we can get a consistent 4-6 goals a game from Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, JOM, Switta etc and our front 6 get their 10, then we just become all that more potent.

Easier said than done. JL needs to rework the game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can easily be a top 4 side.

Just one or 2 guys ‘popping’ like an Erasmus or Johnson or Treacy or Emmett will really make us so much stronger.

Crisp tore us a new one just last year at a final at the G. We got slaughtered in that as well. Anyone got the Koolaid

I think we will finish between 7 and 14.
We would have to have a terrible run with injuries to finish below 14.

2-3 players like Chapman, Odriscoll, Brodie, Johnson and Eramus would need to become solid B + players. And we would need 2-3 more players like Cox, Amiss, Young to become All Australian players. To finish top 4.

I think our range is 5-15 without bringing in some mature quality or Fyfe getting fully fit. 5 is where we get a 2022 godlike injury run and we have 2-3 youngsters get up to B grade level with at least 1 on the wing.

I think we're most likely a 7-12 team and I don't reckon there will be much between those spots next year. Probably just split by the draw and/or when you play certain teams.

I like wakojakos point about us at least playing exciting footy. Losing is much more palatable playing an exciting brand of footy then scoring 6 goals and losing by 2 goals. Maybe I have trauma from RTB but I just want to see us having a red hot go and playing with some flair.

I like wakojakos point about us at least playing exciting footy. Losing is much more palatable playing an exciting brand of footy then scoring 6 goals and losing by 2 goals. Maybe I have trauma from RTB but I just want to see us having a red hot go and playing with some flair.
We score fine when we play well.

We'll also naturally score more when our KPFs mature.

And for all Collingwood's excitement, they're a dog**** offensive side.

Our best can match it with anyone at any venue.
Our problem, which has seemed a problem for 30 years is we can’t bury sides nor can we put the foot on the throat when up by 2 goals and in control.
Forget about ‘contest’. Can we just find a way to score efficiently when given opportunities.

Amiss, Treacy, Jackson, Shultz, Walters, Frederick can all hit the scoreboard and there’s tremendous growth there.

But again as always we need more goals from other areas, mainly mids.

No one jumps out as that goal kicking mid player.

If we can get a consistent 4-6 goals a game from Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, JOM, Switta etc and our front 6 get their 10, then we just become all that more potent.

Easier said than done. JL needs to rework the game plan.
We don’t have enough matchwinners to consistently trouble the top sides I reckon.
Our forward are too wasteful still, and cannot be relied on every week. We barely get any goals from midfield either. Trace on our smalls to get a winning score is more than nearly any other team in th comp. We have guys like Switta who is all effort but no composure in front of goal.
Even Schultz who I do like, is prone to missing absolute gimmies at times.
Amiss and Walters are the only guys in the forward line you could reasonably trust to convert chances at a higher than AFL average rate.
Frederick is probably next most reliable, and generally Schultz is pretty good.
Sturt is showing promise in medium forward role, a spot that has been problematic for us. I never want to see the likes Banfield picked ahead of him ever again.

People might say the pies had some passengers in their attack yesterday and it’s true.
But they had several clutch goals from star mids when it mattered most. And one elite small forward that cut loose on the biggest stage.

Degoey x 2
Crisp x 2
Sidebottom
N Daicos
Pendlebury

Seven absolutely priceless goals from midfield in a granny. None of them easy. Many from very low percentage areas.

Can’t remember that last time we got 7 goals from our midfield in a normal game, let alone a GF?

We don’t have enough matchwinners to consistently trouble the top sides I reckon.
Our forward are too wasteful still, and cannot be relied on every week. We barely get any goals from midfield either. Trace on our smalls to get a winning score is more than nearly any other team in th comp. We have guys like Switta who is all effort but no composure in front of goal.
Even Schultz who I do like, is prone to missing absolute gimmies at times.
Amiss and Walters are the only guys in the forward line you could reasonably trust to convert chances at a higher than AFL average rate.
Frederick is probably next most reliable, and generally Schultz is pretty good.
Sturt is showing promise in medium forward role, a spot that has been problematic for us. I never want to see the likes Banfield picked ahead of him ever again.

People might say the pies had some passengers in their attack yesterday and it’s true.
But they had several clutch goals from star mids when it mattered most. And one elite small forward that cut loose on the biggest stage.

Degoey x 2
Crisp x 2
Sidebottom
N Daicos
Pendlebury

Seven absolutely priceless goals from midfield in a granny. None of them easy. Many from very low percentage areas.

Can’t remember that last time we got 7 goals from our midfield in a normal game, let alone a GF?

Well I’m hoping Amiss can become the best forward in the league. May take a few more years but he will be scary good. Luke Jackson has already torn games apart by himself.

But like many have said it feels like we’re missing that true goal scoring mid.

‘Match winner’ is always an interesting term. A fit and firing midfield of Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson, Jackson, Young still has tremendous upside and could easily lead us to top 4.

Well I’m hoping Amiss can become the best forward in the league. May take a few more years but he will be scary good. Luke Jackson has already torn games apart by himself.

But like many have said it feels like we’re missing that true goal scoring mid.

‘Match winner’ is always an interesting term. A fit and firing midfield of Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson, Jackson, Young still has tremendous upside and could easily lead us to top 4.
Erasmus is probably the only mid we have that’s shown a knack for kicking a goal. Actually Johnson has some potential in this space too I reckon.
Both very much developing though.

Serong is more of a Lachie Neale type IMO, great player but not much of a scoring threat.
Brayshaw, maybe a goal every second game on average. He’s improved a lot but not a natural in front of the sticks either.

Young, who knows. Love him too as a player but haven’t seen much in the line of goal scoring prowess either.

People forget Fyfey at his best kicked a lot of goals. I remember a few seasons ago a game in Launceston against the Hawks he kicked 3 goals in the second half from midfield to literally carry the side to the win. We really miss that kind of contribution since he’s dropped off.

One benefit of Henry leaving is that we won’t need to watch him butchering simple 25 m set shots ever again. Let’s hope Sharp shows an eye for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back