List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

DeKoning maybe deployed more minutes in a forward role, Charlie becomes size wise our 3rd tall when all deployed forward together, if TDK improves forward craft and marking makes for a damaging setup surrounded by the medium/smalls…

Another possibility, it could also open the door up for McGovern or Kemp playing a third tall forward role, I’m of the opinion that Kemp would be better suited forward of the ball while McGovern would be far more dangerous now as a forward in a far better team and improving system, unless the club thinks that playing as a defender is more beneficial on his body injury management concerns long term…

Or we could stick with Charlie and Harry, with cameo’s from TDK while the mediums and smalls are favored options for pace pressure creating more scoring opportunities and goals…

Left field option

Jack out for year and McGovern Cowan & Marchbank flying how about Kemp as back up Third forward/Ruck.

Same size as Jack, midfield skills and good engine. Heart and soul type player that would thrive on opportunity
Yep and try and bring in a mature KPD.

I would go for Liam McMahon. Unless Harry Lemmey is flying like we are being told.

images

Cometh the hour, Cometh the Huddo ? :)

Seriously still too young and underweight for AFL level yet, but he did show some outstanding signs last year in the VFL.

Really like your suggestion of Lemmey though, someone I was thinking of since JSOS awful injury news

Seems a perfect, yet tragic, time to blooding Lemmey. Although do agree that Kemp is also the perfect JSOS Prototype....

Stay in house, hold our 'spot' up our sleave until mis-season, did hear that Cam O'Shea was contemplating a comeback though......

Wait until mid year for me if it's an option. Then pick-up someone flying in the state leagues.

Or if we want/need someone now we go best available.

Koen Sanchez

Best available now, as in a few months time we’ll more than likely have a pick 12+ at the MSD. Anyone worth having won’t fall that low.

Brynn Teakle currently training at the Pies, can play both ruck and forward, thought he looked okay at Port and would be some decent coverage with a bit of potential. Or maybe you take a defender like Ethan Phillips and shift Young/Kemp forward. It would be nice to go like for like with JSOS but if the rumours of Pitto also in a moon boot are true I’d go taller.

Best available now, as in a few months time we’ll more than likely have a pick 12+ at the MSD. Anyone worth having won’t fall that low.

Brynn Teakle currently training at the Pies, can play both ruck and forward, thought he looked okay at Port and would be some decent coverage with a bit of potential. Or maybe you take a defender like Ethan Phillips and shift Young/Kemp forward. It would be nice to go like for like with JSOS but if the rumours of Pitto also in a moon boot are true I’d go taller.
I didn’t mind the look of Teakle in his couple of games at Port. Ruck development at PA has seemingly been poor. Teakle is from Crippa country at Northampton and has a good relationship with Jack Carroll.

Think he only enters the conversation if Pitto has something sinister. Being seen in a moon boot is not, in itself a reason for panic. The professional environment has the boys in moon boots for a couple of days for low level sprains, strains or even twists. Too early for knee jerks with other options in the wings.

Young is adequate in the ruck, as indeed is Sam Durdin if it comes to a pinch. O’Keeffe, Lemmey and Mirkov all some chance of being ready for an AFL intro later in the season.

With our list situation, hopefully we can find some “obscure” KPD prospect. Remember we had signed Caminiti in the twos before Jack opened his mouth to SOS that the lad was giving Weiters some competition in pre season. Would so love to find a developing defensive pillar to nab pre or mid season.

I didn’t mind the look of Teakle in his couple of games at Port. Ruck development at PA has seemingly been poor. Teakle is from Crippa country at Northampton and has a good relationship with Jack Carroll.

Think he only enters the conversation if Pitto has something sinister. Being seen in a moon boot is not, in itself a reason for panic. The professional environment has the boys in moon boots for a couple of days for low level sprains, strains or even twists. Too early for knee jerks with other options in the wings.

Young is adequate in the ruck, as indeed is Sam Durdin if it comes to a pinch. O’Keeffe, Lemmey and Mirkov all some chance of being ready for an AFL intro later in the season.

With our list situation, hopefully we can find some “obscure” KPD prospect. Remember we had signed Caminiti in the twos before Jack opened his mouth to SOS that the lad was giving Weiters some competition in pre season. Would so love to find a developing defensive pillar to nab pre or mid season.

I’m not so worried about a full time ruck. One of TDK or Pittonet should always be available and I have a lot of faith in HOK as a talent. 2024 may be 12 months early for him but he’ll give it a red hot go.

It is the second ruck/third tall forward position that now concerns me.

If they are willing to play Mckay through the ruck for even 10-15% of the game we could target a traditional third tall forward. If not I think we need to go taller.

Young’s development this year is really important as he can cover all areas of the ground and it wouldn’t surprise me if he spent more time up forward just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left field option

Jack out for year and McGovern Cowan & Marchbank flying how about Kemp as back up Third forward/Ruck.

Same size as Jack, midfield skills and good engine. Heart and soul type player that would thrive on opportunity

Got him there in my best 22 already.

Depends if we shuffle players to different parts of the ground

I'd look at Teakle or McMahon
It'd be nice to get one back on Collingwood, and grab Teakle from under their noses. The only issue there is that if he had the option, he would likely lean toward them given they only have one recognised ruckman, and Cox turns 33 in just over a month - so probably more opportunities there.

If we're looking to go 'tall', there were a few kids as 3rd marking forwards options who were probably a little unlucky not to get drafted. Sam van Rooyen currently training with Freo for a list spot looked good in the Champs. He's 193cm, the same height as his brother.

Michael Rudd was another who was also good for Vic Country as a hit up marking forward with a vice like grip overhead. Also 193cm.

But the one I like is Jacob Grant from the Stingrays. Got a call up to Vic Country during the Champs, and really liked what I saw. Great vertical leap, mobile, loves the contest - and has a bit of x factor about him. Also listed at 193cm, but his leap allows him to play taller.

It'd be nice to get one back on Collingwood, and grab Teakle from under their noses. The only issue there is that if he had the option, he would likely lean toward them given they only have one recognised ruckman, and Cox turns 33 in just over a month - so probably more opportunities there.

If we're looking to go 'tall', there were a few kids as 3rd marking forwards options who were probably a little unlucky not to get drafted. Sam van Rooyen currently training with Freo for a list spot looked good in the Champs. He's 193cm, the same height as his brother.

Michael Rudd was another who was also good for Vic Country as a hit up marking forward with a vice like grip overhead. Also 193cm.

But the one I like is Jacob Grant from the Stingrays. Got a call up to Vic Country during the Champs, and really liked what I saw. Great vertical leap, mobile, loves the contest - and has a bit of x factor about him. Also listed at 193cm, but his leap allows him to play taller.

If we want Teakle I think we could get him. He will take the first guaranteed opportunity.

But we would need to do what we failed to do with Markov last year. Be bold and sign him. That doesn't just go for Teakle but anyone we might be considering who is training at another club. Otherwise we get the leftovers.

Jacob Grant was reported to be training at Box Hill in a December article last year, like the look of his highlights everything you said plus he looks more than just a lead/mark goal kicking forward type, highlights also seem to show him having some decent awareness disposal and decision making in general play…

I suspect we might invite a train on player for a few weeks.

But, would be shocked if we don't end up taking Ramshaw or McMahon.

Clearly have a system of identifying guys we like who are not an AFL list, inviting them to our VFL program and training them with the seniors.

Just a few random thoughts, and some questions...
  • Shattered for JSOS. Sucks he missed finals last year, and I thought he looked the goods to be a significant contributor in 2024 in various roles.
  • Looks like we have another list spot, and I love what LM team has done over a number of years.
  • Not sure if we get another player now or mid-season as I think we're still well covered across the board at the moment. For me, at the moment, I'd say wait and see.
  • But let's say we so get another player in SSP. For me it would probably be a player who is ready to contribute (physically able) from get go. I don't think we need another developing player (but that's just my opinion).
  • Just for sake of discussion, let's say Weiters, Harry and Pitto were together unavailable for a reasonable period of time - my questions are (1) where would greatest need be for further backup - KPD, KPF, or ruck, and (2) out of these who would be a name best available?

I suspect we might invite a train on player for a few weeks.

But, would be shocked if we don't end up taking Ramshaw or McMahon.

Clearly have a system of identifying guys we like who are not an AFL list, inviting them to our VFL program and training them with the seniors.
I quite like McMahon. Can play tall forward or back either as a 3rd tall or undersized key, similar to JSOS. Might even be able to do some ruck work as he is pretty tall (although light). Great type to have a as depth as he covers multiple positions.

No to Ramshaw. Doesn't fill a need and would be behind a lot of players. Has some talent but isn't what you use this type of pick for.

If we want Teakle I think we could get him. He will take the first guaranteed opportunity.

But we would need to do what we failed to do with Markov last year. Be bold and sign him. That doesn't just go for Teakle but anyone we might be considering who is training at another club. Otherwise we get the leftovers.
I thought that Teakle was the leftovers? He's hardly a superstar.

Agree. JSoS has about as much chance of playing defence as Kemp has of playing third tall forward.

There are a few who have advocated for Kemp going fwd and JSoS going backwards. Spitballing and amounts to the exact same thing.

I don’t mind that idea at all. Jacks only issue is his goal kicking. He is strong and very good at outbodying opponents, plus his footy brain and knowing where to be could be huge assets in defence. Kemp is very good overhead so could play 3rd tall and take some heat away from Charlie & Big H.

Left field option

I reckon that is the best option. Kemp is so strong overhead that I think he be a real headache as a third tall.
Unsure how he'll go kicking them but as long as he frees up Charlie & Harry, I think we'll stretch teams' defenses.

Also helps to have Elijah & Fantasia as additions.

If you look at the second Carlton v coll game (as I did last night), you can see how valuable Martin is. The out-bodying of Maynard (on several occasions) to take marks or cause a spill was a thing of beauty imho. When you factor in the skill, game sense, leadership to the hardness it makes for a very, very valuable package.

I’m a big fan.

Vossy would love him - hard as a cat's head. Can't find the footage, but his bone crunching tackle on the wing on Ed Langdon in the round 22 match against the Dee's was almost the highlight of the game for me - absolutely smashed him in a rugby league style tackle which p1ssed Langdon off completely, and tried to remonstrate with Martin when he finally managed to scrape himself off the turf.

This hit on Alex Pearce was a thing of beauty against a guy who's over 200cm and nearly 100 kilos.

As an aside, it's worth watching the entire highlights package to appreciate the talent of Jack Martin, and his value to the team.

Martin Moir and Motlop as the 3 offensive small forwards is pretty mouthwatering standing alongside harry and charlie

IIRC we were linked with some interest to Rudd pre-draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back