List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming it's in relation to Hawthorn investing heavily in Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara, and to a lesser extent Jarman Impey?

2016:
Traded their 2017 first rounder, plus picks 23 and 36 in the 2016 draft for Pick 10.
Traded Pick 10 and their 2017 second rounder for O'Meara.
Traded Pick 14 for Mitchell.

Their 2017 first rounder ended up being Pick 7, Saints used it on Clark/Coffield but Hawks could have used it on Naughton who went next.

Picks 10 and 14 in 2016 could have nabbed them players like Florent, Simpkin or Marshall (or a couple of duds).

Their 2017 second rounder ended up being 26, which could have secured Brent Daniels, Sam Taylor or Tom De Koning.

Picks 23 and 36 (ended up being 25 and 39) in the 2016 draft could have landed them Fisher (who Clarko has now picked up) or Shai Bolton and one of Josh Battle, Brennan Cox or even (bit a stretch given he was groomed by the Cats) Tom Stewart.

Basically - at the time they needed to be hitting the draft and rejuvenating the list, they tried to load up one last time with a couple of workhorse midfielders and paid through the nose for it. They went out of finals in straight sets in 2018 and have been pretty much irrelevant since.

Mitchell and O'Meara
vs
Naughton, Marshall, De Koning, Bolton and Cox.

Two meat and potatoes mids vs an elite and versatile KPP, a KPF, an athletic ruck, an x-factor fwd/mid and a solid KPD. Could have been their version of our 2015 draft.

EDIT: In fairness to them, they were coming off a 3peat and then third place finish in 2016 (equal points with first and second). That being said, there's a cautionary tale here and with Richmond about not clinging too doggedly to the peak when you do get there.

I love looking back and see what could have been. GWS actually got the pick they used for Sam Taylor from us in the Matt Kennedy trade.
I think Sam Taylor would be better for us in our current team than Kennedy.
And I really like Kennedy.

I'm assuming it's in relation to Hawthorn investing heavily in Tom Mitchell and Jaeger O'Meara, and to a lesser extent Jarman Impey?

2016:
Traded their 2017 first rounder, plus picks 23 and 36 in the 2016 draft for Pick 10.
Traded Pick 10 and their 2017 second rounder for O'Meara.
Traded Pick 14 for Mitchell.

Their 2017 first rounder ended up being Pick 7, Saints used it on Clark/Coffield but Hawks could have used it on Naughton who went next.

Picks 10 and 14 in 2016 could have nabbed them players like Florent, Simpkin or Marshall (or a couple of duds).

Their 2017 second rounder ended up being 26, which could have secured Brent Daniels, Sam Taylor or Tom De Koning.

Picks 23 and 36 (ended up being 25 and 39) in the 2016 draft could have landed them Fisher (who Clarko has now picked up) or Shai Bolton and one of Josh Battle, Brennan Cox or even (bit a stretch given he was groomed by the Cats) Tom Stewart.

Basically - at the time they needed to be hitting the draft and rejuvenating the list, they tried to load up one last time with a couple of workhorse midfielders and paid through the nose for it. They went out of finals in straight sets in 2018 and have been pretty much irrelevant since.

Mitchell and O'Meara
vs
Naughton, Marshall, De Koning, Bolton and Cox.

Two meat and potatoes mids vs an elite and versatile KPP, a KPF, an athletic ruck, an x-factor fwd/mid and a solid KPD. Could have been their version of our 2015 draft.

EDIT: In fairness to them, they were coming off a 3peat and then third place finish in 2016 (equal points with first and second). That being said, there's a cautionary tale here and with Richmond about not clinging too doggedly to the peak when you do get there.
Gord, imagine me as a Hawthorn supporter, they'd hate me on there!

Put it this way, if Mccluggage said he wants to come back to VIC and was keen on the Blues but we didn't have the cap space, I think Kennedy would be the first to go, mainly because Hewett is a more capable defensive partner for Cripps etc.

Personally I'd rather keep Kennedy though. Imo we just need to upgrade our half/small fwds and we'll be the best team in it.

Fantasia, Motlop, Durdin, Owies... I think we've done a good job over the last few years in attempting to fix the half/small forward issue.
A McCluggage/Bailey Smith is a pipe dream addition, but they would add that added class to our team and no doubt we'd have to lose certain fringe players.

I really enjoyed the concept of recruiting Wilson. (whether he makes it is another concept)
Picking a guy with elite pace and inside ball winning ability is an area that is becoming popular at AFL level.
You need people that break the lines with either their kicking skills (Boyd/Saad/McGovern) or just general pace (Saad).

I love looking back and see what could have been. GWS actually got the pick they used for Sam Taylor from us in the Matt Kennedy trade.
I think Sam Taylor would be better for us in our current team than Kennedy.
And I really like Kennedy.
Yeah but realistically we were clearly looking for a mid. Well never know hut if we missed on Kennedy we might have drafted a mid instead.

Hawthorn traded out 2 years worth of picks for O'Meara/ Mitchell. Rich same for Hopper/Taranto. WC same for Tim Kelly.
The difference there though is they were teams that were past their prime, and leaving the Grand Final windows, mortgaging their future to buy one last GF push through an influx couple of established players. When that doesn't work, all they've done is tread water a year or 2 before sinking further.

We aren't in that situation now, we are only just entering that push. Geelong recently, and Hawthorn earlier, won Grand Finals after getting players in at the right time, so it isn't something to completely rule out.

The difference there though is they were teams that were past their prime, and leaving the Grand Final windows, mortgaging their future to buy one last GF push through an influx couple of established players. When that doesn't work, all they've done is tread water a year or 2 before sinking further.
I think the bigger problem (or at lest equal problem) is that these trades effectively wiped out 2 consecutive drafts for the clubs.
Richmond's trading would not be nearly as bad if they had only taken Taranto, and kept the Hopper picks.

We aren't in that situation now, we are only just entering that push. Geelong recently, and Hawthorn earlier, won Grand Finals after getting players in at the right time, so it isn't something to completely rule out.

Agree. It all depends who comes up as an option to trade in I guess. But there's a couple of real horror stories there that should make us comfortable that sticking to the draft ain't such a bad thing. Especially if you want to be a strong club contending for finals for 10-15 years and not just the one off crack at it.

If everyone was fit I reckon we'd have 10+ players in our VFL who'd be getting games at most other clubs. I'd expect a couple to ask to be traded at season's end. Especially Kemp and Young if they're not getting a regular game. CDurdin? Binns may be a bit more patient. What does Pitto do if TDK keeps him out long term?

I think the bigger problem (or at lest equal problem) is that these trades effectively wiped out 2 consecutive drafts for the clubs.
Richmond's trading would not be nearly as bad if they had only taken Taranto, and kept the Hopper picks.
WCE also offered to trade their 2024 first round pick to GWS last year for the pick they received from Richmond to try and secure Curtin.

So Richmond would likely have had pick 1 in this year's ND, plus another pick in the top half dozen with their own first rounder.

How many years do we think it would take to get the Norf out of Paul Curtis or Cam Zurhaar?

Can't imagine anyone would blame them for wanting out if they did. A complete rabble.

How many years do we think it would take to get the Norf out of Paul Curtis or Cam Zurhaar?

Can't imagine anyone would blame them for wanting out if they did. A complete rabble.
Unless Zurhaar can take the selfishness out of his game, I don't think we would want him. Has all the talent, just thinks it's all about him at times

North shambolic but haven't minded the 1st game of the reinvented Charlie Comben as a defender. Good in the air and ultra athletic.

Might be a bit warped given Brisbane have over 70 inside 50s

Twomey mentioned he's 'Gettable' on his weekly segment despite having another year of his contract left to run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North shambolic but haven't minded the 1st game of the reinvented Charlie Comben as a defender. Good in the air and ultra athletic.

Twomey mentioned he's 'Gettable' on his weekly segment despite having another year of his contract left to run
Sorry if this has been asked but, is he related to our former B and F winner Bruce Comben?

Comben was very good vs. our VFL side last week.
No way would North be interested in trading for Young, but I'd do a straight swap.

We can admire Fogarty and Owies endeavour and they are our current best small fwd options, but let's not delude ourselves they are premiership class. They don't crumb goals like a bobby hill, charlie cameron and stengle. We need them to cash in on the crumbs Charlie and Harry create if or when we play off in the grandfinal
It would be nice to have one.

Yesterday further highlighting the need for goal kicking smalls. Worst in the league outside of WCE.

Owies for all his 'deficiencies' at least always bobs up for one or two, everyone else is chook lotto type stuff.

Yesterday further highlighting the need for goal kicking smalls. Worst in the league outside of WCE.

Owies for all his 'deficiencies' at least always bobs up for one or two, everyone else is chook lotto type stuff.
Yes, but it’s tough when our best is out injured, not to mention Martin, and another 3 who are playing have been somewhat underdone.
Definitely an area for improvement.

Yes, but it’s tough when our best is out injured, not to mention Martin, and another 3 who are playing have been somewhat underdone.
Definitely an area for improvement.
Which is why I was hoping we'd grab a smaller creative forward in last year's draft....although I still maintain that Motlop and Durdin still have a lot of improvement in them that'll come with continuity and game time.

Koen Sanchez and Jack Callinan both unlucky to have been overlooked last year - either one could be handy as our selection in the MSD, along with a development KPP if there's any available that we're keen on. Rudd could be one given our reported interest last year, but we're yet to see him at state league level.

Which is why I was hoping we'd grab a smaller creative forward in last year's draft....although I still maintain that Motlop and Durdin still have a lot of improvement in them that'll come with continuity and game time.

Koen Sanchez and Jack Callinan both unlucky to have been overlooked last year - either one could be handy as our selection in the MSD, along with a development KPP if there's any available that we're keen on. Rudd could be one given our reported interest last year, but we're yet to see him at state league level.
Motlop has class, and I think Durds does too, just missed a lot of footy over the last 12 months.
We also brought in Fantasia, so I’m not sure that a kid who went undrafted would be making a difference for us.

Motlop has class, and I think Durds does too, just missed a lot of footy over the last 12 months.
We also brought in Fantasia, so I’m not sure that a kid who went undrafted would be making a difference for us.
100% agree with all that - although Fantasia isn't a long term option given his age and injury history....more of a free throw at the stumps in our quest for the holy grail.

I was talking more about the future rather than a plug and play option.

A small forward that knows where to run and stand
More importantly a big defender to help weiters. don’t get me wrong, kemp does a great job, but he’s not big
Liam jones was the perfect partner, if we can grab a tall to partner with weiters I’d be extremely happy. I know we managed wins without him but we need the cover now and for the future

100% agree with all that - although Fantasia isn't a long term option given his age and injury history....more of a free throw at the stumps in our quest for the holy grail.

I was talking more about the future rather than a plug and play option.
I think Mots and Durds are the future.
The Jack Martin replacement was much more urgent, and we got Moir.

From a list management perspective, I'd like us to continue to hit the draft. I worry about selling the future for top up players. The key to sustainable success is to constantly bring in kids to develop and then slowly filter into the best 22.

If we moved up to get a pick before Ben Camporeale, and then took Lucas later, we'd be laughing.

Especially with Tassie coming in, bank the draftees now because in a few years the draft will be heavily compromised.

We've locked in our big 5 - Walsh, Weitering, Charlie, Cripps and Harry.

Hewett, Saad, Cerra, Williams, McGovern from other clubs.

The core of your list is built through the draft. It is easier when you've already got an experienced side to bring in youth as they have time to develop. You might lose a couple over the journey for opportunity but you'll be able to replenish your best 22.

From a list management perspective, I'd like us to continue to hit the draft. I worry about selling the future for top up players. The key to sustainable success is to constantly bring in kids to develop and then slowly filter into the best 22.

If we moved up to get a pick before Ben Camporeale, and then took Lucas later, we'd be laughing.

Especially with Tassie coming in, bank the draftees now because in a few years the draft will be heavily compromised.

We've locked in our big 5 - Walsh, Weitering, Charlie, Cripps and Harry.

Hewett, Saad, Cerra, Williams, McGovern from other clubs.

The core of your list is built through the draft. It is easier when you've already got an experienced side to bring in youth as they have time to develop. You might lose a couple over the journey for opportunity but you'll be able to replenish your best 22.
Fine with trying to trade up ahead of the Campo twins and hitting the draft as long as we are A) targeting a known goal scorer, or B) have already addressed that via trade/free agency.

Still not actually sure where the Campo boys will land on draft night. Reckon both end up picks in the 20s/30s in a midfield heavy draft. Hoping they play next week vs Coburg so we can see them in action outside the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back