List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

So who’s hot property in the MSD?

I'd give Adam D'Aloia a go or Jez Maclenan the ex Suns player. Trent Bianco is meant to be on a few radars.
I like this bloke. Nigel Lockyer. 15 goals in 6 matches, NT guy playing SANFL. Got innate talent.

3-5.

Top 3 is Smillie, Finn, Ashcroft.

Either a team will trade up into the top 5 to snag Trainor or one of West Coast or Hawthorn take him. He's the best key defender by a mile, he'll come at a premium despite probably not being a top 5 'talent' in the pool

Shanahan is shooting up the list at the moment too. Both are only 194cm.

Shanahan is a forward

So he is, I read about him last year. My memory must be going, I only remembered him because I thought he might be related to Jamie Shanahan

Smillie and O'Sullivan are the probable top couple of players. They don't look like they are outstandingly better like Harley Reid was. Turning Battle and pick 5 into a player no better than pick 5 would be a stupid gamble.
Your top 5 pick could end up being a Paddy Dow, Farren Ray or Aaron Fiora type. No guarantees they will be elite.

Your top 5 pick could end up being a Paddy Dow, Farren Ray or Aaron Fiora type. No guarantees they will be elite.

True but I think those top 5 or 6 look as good as most years. Dalrymple is a genuinely good recruiter that has built two elite lists. You have at least got someone in who is less likely to bust the picks.

True but I think those top 5 or 6 look as good as most years. Dalrymple is a genuinely good recruiter that has built two elite lists. You have at least got someone in who is less likely to bust the picks.
I hope so. Another prime example is Coffield and Clark at 7 & 8. Handy players, but unlikely they will be elite and Coffield is gone. People on this board are putting a lot of faith with high picks, which you won’t get for Battle. End of first round pick.

Hi Sainters.

You should consider Will Brodie.

We have depth for inside mids and I can't see him getting games for us. We have Johnson and Erasmus both wanting to become the Fyfe replacement.

He is a flawed but decent player. I think he is AFL standard, but not an all game runner. Can be a beast of an extractor with a lethal handball.

He would be cheap and the club may prefer the list spot and salary cap. I think he still has 2 years on a modest contract.
Its not the worst shout, but honestly mate these slow inside types that cant kick are a dime a dozen. We sent Luke Dunstan to Melbourne 2 years ago, and handed Jack Bytel off to Collingwood last year. Picked up Paddy Dow to play exactly this role instead.

Every year there are blokes like Brodie or Matt Crouch or Will Powell that teams are giving away, or a Jarryd Lyons type not getting a game at a good team, or a Collier-Dawkins / Charlie Constable type being being delisted. Can even get an brownlow medalist like Tom Mitchell or a Taylor Adams / Luke Parker type pretty cheap, and they at least bring leadership and experience as well.

If we hadn't got Dow then maybe. But at this stage our priority is avoiding spending our first rounder on one of these types (who seem to go in the top 20 every year).

If we need it, there is always someone that can find the ball but cant spread available in the bargain bin. For now we can just run with Brad Crouch (who we have missed badly) and Dow to do this

Last edited:
Reality is you have to be shit for 5 years to get enough talent via the draft.
We've done unbelievably well to get all of Nas, Chito, Windy and Wilson whilst Pou and Hugo we hope will be good or better than.
We still need more talent than we can realistically get unless something magical happens via free agency, and we aren't exactly attractive ATM.
I hope we burn some future picks to improve our lot, or maybe pick purchasing comes in this year and we can use our war chest for something constructive. SOS did manage to turn s hit into sugar last year so fingers crossed for a repeat performance.

Reality is you have to be s**t for 5 years to get enough talent via the draft.
We've done unbelievably well to get all of Nas, Chito, Windy and Wilson whilst Pou and Hugo we hope will be good or better than.
We still need more talent than we can realistically get unless something magical happens via free agency, and we aren't exactly attractive ATM.
I hope we burn some future picks to improve our lot, or maybe pick purchasing comes in this year and we can use our war chest for something constructive. SOS did manage to turn s hit into sugar last year so fingers crossed for a repeat performance.
The reality is, we've gone through that phase but completely screwed it up with our drafting. Billings, Clark, Coffield, McCartin should be A-graders for us atm. Now we probably have to go through another mini rebuild where we fill these holes in before we open our window

I think the MSD is a hugely underrated avenue to bring in talented players in their early 20s, to the extent that I'd advocate for always keeping a list spot open rather than relying on a LTI occurring. Essentially a high draft pick in a pool of players that have a consistent body of work in senior footy, including the most recent half season - ideal for picking late bloomers with maturer bodies.

I doubt it, but maybe one day Heath over Sam Durham will be spoken of with Billings/Bont and McCartin/Petracca. I think we dismiss it because the MSD is viewed as a free hit/injury replacement but I genuinely believe it should be given almost as much importance as the ND, internally at least. Everyone's bending over backwards for ND first rounders but barely batting an eyelid during the year. We're drafting fewer players than ever before so there will always be some good players that get overlooked.

This Benier bloke.. well.. I haven't seen the VFL games but the reports weren't exactly glowing.. IMO the time for speculative picks is Round 3 of the rookie draft / SSP period.. not the one opportunity you have during the season to add to your list. Happy to be proven wrong as I haven't seen him play and the chatter about other teams' interest gives a bit of confidence I guess.

I don't think recycling delisted players has ever worked out too well; Josh Deluca, Will Hayes, Matthew Parker, Cam Sutcliffe, Sam Durdin, Caleb Poulter and Quinton Narkle were the examples I could find - none of them really set the world on fire at their new clubs. They are known quantities at the level and list cloggers / gap fillers. Bianco was a neat little player at the Pies but that's probably all he will ever be.

Teakle is probably the exception I would make here given our ruck stocks are still wafer thin. I thought he looked pretty handy in his few games but got squeezed out of a long queue with Soldo/Sweet/Visentini/Finlayson etc.

To change tack a little - I think Steve Smith is a good analogy here - a leg spinner in under age teams who found himself in the national setup full time on this basis - give him the requisite coaching and facilities and suddenly you discover he's actually a generational talent with the bat. Pot luck, but it's fair to say there are probably dozens of blokes out there who have that ability but never found themselves on the traditional pathways to receive the guidance or spend the time to help unlock it - both cricket and football.

In 2021, 7 players were selected from the VFL, of which I am pretty confident that four (Durham, Jai Newcombe, Jordan Boyd, James Peatling) would walk into our best 22 - and the first two would be close to, if not, our best mid.

I don't know what the knocks on these guys were in their draft years but the talent was clearly there and some players will prosper and flourish in a professional full-time environment.

Anecdotally Sydney's track record at the MSD has been abysmal... Michael Knoll, Cody Hirst, Lachlan McAndrew, Hugo Hall-Kahan, Harry Arnold, Jack Buller... a few too early to judge.. but maybe Mr Dalrymple is due? No academy or F/S picks to hide behind here...

Totally agree ThomasR the MSD has unearthed some gems. We will have pick 4 or 5 this year so are in a good position to pick up a decent player. Be interesting to see which way we go positional wise.

Initially I had high hopes for Heath, but he just hasnt grown out of being a big clumsy kid and simply haasnt improved. He might be the sort of player that gets delisted plays for Frankston for a couple of years then takes off, who knows.

I heard about this lad tonight who sounds promising -

Ajang Kuol mun (South Sudanese back ground) has gone from giving local footy a crack to debuting against a 210cm AFL ruckman for Geelong in the VFL.

As expected he has a freakish leap.

Teakle 203cms played well in SANFL vs WAFL game but so did the SA ruckman Amos Doyle 197cms.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the MSD is a hugely underrated avenue to bring in talented players in their early 20s, to the extent that I'd advocate for always keeping a list spot open rather than relying on a LTI occurring. Essentially a high draft pick in a pool of players that have a consistent body of work in senior footy, including the most recent half season - ideal for picking late bloomers with maturer bodies.

I doubt it, but maybe one day Heath over Sam Durham will be spoken of with Billings/Bont and McCartin/Petracca. I think we dismiss it because the MSD is viewed as a free hit/injury replacement but I genuinely believe it should be given almost as much importance as the ND, internally at least. Everyone's bending over backwards for ND first rounders but barely batting an eyelid during the year. We're drafting fewer players than ever before so there will always be some good players that get overlooked.

This Benier bloke.. well.. I haven't seen the VFL games but the reports weren't exactly glowing.. IMO the time for speculative picks is Round 3 of the rookie draft / SSP period.. not the one opportunity you have during the season to add to your list. Happy to be proven wrong as I haven't seen him play and the chatter about other teams' interest gives a bit of confidence I guess.

I don't think recycling delisted players has ever worked out too well; Josh Deluca, Will Hayes, Matthew Parker, Cam Sutcliffe, Sam Durdin, Caleb Poulter and Quinton Narkle were the examples I could find - none of them really set the world on fire at their new clubs. They are known quantities at the level and list cloggers / gap fillers. Bianco was a neat little player at the Pies but that's probably all he will ever be.

Teakle is probably the exception I would make here given our ruck stocks are still wafer thin. I thought he looked pretty handy in his few games but got squeezed out of a long queue with Soldo/Sweet/Visentini/Finlayson etc.

To change tack a little - I think Steve Smith is a good analogy here - a leg spinner in under age teams who found himself in the national setup full time on this basis - give him the requisite coaching and facilities and suddenly you discover he's actually a generational talent with the bat. Pot luck, but it's fair to say there are probably dozens of blokes out there who have that ability but never found themselves on the traditional pathways to receive the guidance or spend the time to help unlock it - both cricket and football.

In 2021, 7 players were selected from the VFL, of which I am pretty confident that four (Durham, Jai Newcombe, Jordan Boyd, James Peatling) would walk into our best 22 - and the first two would be close to, if not, our best mid.

I don't know what the knocks on these guys were in their draft years but the talent was clearly there and some players will prosper and flourish in a professional full-time environment.

Anecdotally Sydney's track record at the MSD has been abysmal... Michael Knoll, Cody Hirst, Lachlan McAndrew, Hugo Hall-Kahan, Harry Arnold, Jack Buller... a few too early to judge.. but maybe Mr Dalrymple is due? No academy or F/S picks to hide behind here...
Is Hugo Hall-Karan a better version of Cooper Sharman? He’s a Swans castoff but seems to be one of the best for Sandringham nearly every week. Has spent a lot of time training with our Seniors at Moorabbin both preseason and currently.

Great post

Hotton looks to be building a bit. Coming back off an injury this week, he also had 19 and 1.2 against the Giants this season. He looks like one to keep an eye on.

Having been injured the whole time you are really getting a new recruit. He was one of the steals of the draft. It would be a shame not to see what he can do before cutting him.

Is Hugo Hall-Karan a better version of Cooper Sharman? He’s a Swans castoff but seems to be one of the best for Sandringham nearly every week. Has spent a lot of time training with our Seniors at Moorabbin both preseason and currently.

He doesn't seem better than him. Coops is a fringe swingman who is young enough to potentially turn into a best 22 tall. Hall-Kahan looks okay but he's not standing out. Coops was huge last week against the Hawks.

Anyone who takes much out of that game is heading for a fall , it was a Richmond's 3rd's side

No worse than we were when we had a lot of our AFL listed players missing. You can only play who's in front of you and we played well.

Having been injured the whole time you are really getting a new recruit. He was one of the steals of the draft. It would be a shame not to see what he can do before cutting him.
On current form he should get a run in the firsts soon. Must admit I was getting worried about him and Keeler but both are going quite nicely at the moment.

Hotton has always been a high-impact player, so you can’t always judge him by his numbers - especially at VFL level where the more nuanced stats are unavailable. I wish we could see score involvements and goal assists, because that’s where he’ll prove himself. I saw him do a lot of quick fire handballs to teammates out in space during the game and it helped us go from inside to outside very easily, leading to faster free-flowing ball movement out of stoppage. 21 touches isn’t a lot, but if 7+ of them are score involvements then it’s a complete game

Hotton has always been a high-impact player, so you can’t always judge him by his numbers - especially at VFL level where the more nuanced stats are unavailable. I wish we could see score involvements and goal assists, because that’s where he’ll prove himself. I saw him do a lot of quick fire handballs to teammates out in space during the game and it helped us go from inside to outside very easily, leading to faster free-flowing ball movement out of stoppage. 21 touches isn’t a lot, but if 7+ of them are score involvements then it’s a complete game
The thing that has surprised me with him is he looks really solidly built. Has put on some muscle since last year. I think he's been playing as a half forward at times so his numbers are actually looking decent. Hopefully he can build. Sandy looks like a fun place to play at the moment, let's hope we keep winning and developing these kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back