List Mgmt. 2024 List Mgmt

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 1 & 2 and you have my interest but not in our wildest dreams.
Yeah I'm saying if we were able to get two first rounders for Marshall, even if that's a late top 10 pick and a mid teens pick, package that up with pick 4 or 5 or whatever we finish with and trade up for pick 2

I reckon we would get 1 first round pick and one second round pick and maybe a 3rd.

First round in the top 10.

Would not get 2 first rounders.
Yeah true. Most likely. I just feel like clubs pay way overs these days for players to the point that its getting crazy. If he got an AA blazer this year would help. But yeah all hypothetical, will never happen

I know this will be a very unpopular opinion and I understand why. But what would people think about trading Rowan Marshall if we were to get 2 top 10 picks for him? As much as I have love him and would hate to see him play for another team, I think the ruck position can be filled by a younger ruck not getting a game on another list e.g. Nick Bryan and Ned Moyle or someone along those lines. The last few premiers have had Darcy Cameron (got for nothing), Rhys Stanley (not overly good), Max Gawn (an exception to my point), Toby Nankervis (got for nothing) and Jordan Roughead (pick 33, nothing amazing). My point is by getting 2 top 10 picks for him, we could finally combine all 3 top 10 picks to draft some A-grade talent as our midfield is what is killing us the most. Getting his big contract off our books, in combination with our already huge war chest, means we can pay a Nick Bryan or Moyle slightly more than other clubs whilst still having a massive amount to spend on someone like LDU next year. Again, I love Row and he's one of the only ones that tries every single week, but he's turning 29 this year and realistically won't be apart of a saints premiership and he may as well try and enjoy some success. Pls don't rip me apart :(

You had me after the first sentence. I'm all abord, probably one of the few players we have whose external value matches the internal value

Phil Davis echoing what we have been talking about in here.

Phil holds that North and the Saints will always find it difficult to attract A-Graders via Trade and Free Agency because we can't offer the glamour that comes with playing for a larger Victorian clubs.

So the only way out is to:
  • over pay B-Graders who are prepared to chase the dollars
  • and draft the A-Graders
How do you draft A-graders in this day and age without bottoming out?

I hate to say it, but I think North may have had the right idea, and with the advent of the Tasmanian license they probably nailed the timing as well. That one win over West Coast last year is the only mis-step. If North had Harley Reid in their team right now they would be the darling of the Victorian media.
Can’t we just merge with them. Give us their midfield and we’d be top 4 for the next 10 years. So much easier.

Can’t we just merge with them. Give us their midfield and we’d be top 4 for the next 10 years. So much easier.
Shhhhh don't give the rest of the league any ideas, they'd do this to us in a flash if they thought we'd accept.

Do you really want to support the North Melbourne Saints, or St Kilda Kangaroos with their great past heroes Robert Harvey and Wayne Carey?

They can shove their midfield, I can't stand that team. I'd rather be shipped off to Tassie.

Its going to be one of the hardest years ever when it comes to trading, delisting or retiring players. Obviously it depends a lot on what or who the club are looking to bring in. At the moment we have too many wait and see players on the list, developing players with potential but havent produced enough to get AFL games. Players like Keeler, Allison, Hotton, Van Es, Heath, McLennan & OConnell who all have potential at different levels, but how long do you give potential before you make the decision. Then there are players like Byrnes, Stocker, Paton, Clark who are depth type players that are not going to take us anywhere. All could be offered for trade if other clubs are interested.

The club had previously stated they want to keep going back to the draft, but that was before the significant drop off this season. Whether they keep that resolve time will tell, but there are no doubts we need elite midfielders and another ruckman, I doubt they all come from the drafts.

Lets say we trade in an established ruckman and midfielder, where will that leave this year draft hand? I think the club will take at least 2 NGA's or F/S so we will need to make 5-6 list positions available. For me the most in danger at seasons end are Jones, Heath, Allison, Van Es and Hotton. Then older players like Ross & Membrey are nearing the end are they looking to retire. I think McLennan and OConnell are Cat B rookies so they get more time.

The other way we can make room is to trade out and there are a number of players who could be offered up as trade. I have done a complete back flip on Campbell, he is just so important to our VFL program and great with the kids. He gets another year even if we do attract a ready to go ruckman eg Moyle or Bryan. Heath is the ruckman who should be delisted he simply hasnt improved enough to look like he is capable of becoming an AFL player.
Campbell could also be hired purely as a Sandy player. Or as a Sandy player and coach.

I think if they change the ability to trade future first like they are talking is a game changer.

We could potentially move our first rounders in like 27,28 that are probably going to be heavily compromised by TAS to move up and get a midfielder if its passed through this year

It should be a rule that if your club has a FS/Academy nominated player and that they have traded out a earlier pick than when an Academy Player or FS is called by another club, that they are not allowed to match.

The current system that allows these guns to be taken with junk picks just rorts the system and prevents the draft from doing what it is meant to do which was to give lower down teams a drafting advantage to level up the competition.

Every year now there is a large bunch of guns tied to mainly a small number of clubs.

The Dogs have been kissed on their dick with their large number of early draft selections over many years.

Last edited:

Phil holds that North and the Saints will always find it difficult to attract A-Graders via Trade and Free Agency because we can't offer the glamour that comes with playing for a larger Victorian clubs.

I hate to say it, but I think North may have had the right idea, and with the advent of the Tasmanian license they probably nailed the timing as well. That one win over West Coast last year is the only mis-step. If North had Harley Reid in their team right now they would be the darling of the Victorian media.

I reckon McKercher will be a star as well.

It should be a rule that you if a club has a FS/Academy nominated player and that they have traded out a earlier pick than when an Academy Player or FS is called by another club, that they are not allowed to match.

The current system that allows these guns to be taken with junk picks just rorts the system and prevents the draft from doing what it is meant to do which was to give lower down teams a drafting advantage to level up the competition.

Every year now there is a large bunch of guns tied to mainly a small number of clubs.

The Dogs have been kissed on their dick with their large number of early draft selections over many years.

Suns have 4 first round picks in 2 drafts. Brisbane 3.

The Age​

Why some AFL clubs’ recruiting ‘war chest’ won’t deliver guns​

Jake Niall

By Jake Niall

May 26, 2024 — 5.00am

“I played with Josh Kelly who got some of the most ridiculous offers from North ... his dad played for North, and he was still able to say no.”
Former GWS captain Phil Davis, on SEN’s Whateley on Thursday.

In 2017, North Melbourne simultaneously made staggering long-term offers to Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly that would have made either the game’s best paid footballer at the time.

The immediate impact of those offers was that they enabled Martin to be close to first on the rich list for AFL players even at Richmond and for Kelly to secure a 10-year commitment from the Giants worth around $1 million a season in 2019.

That the Kangaroos could pay both players an aggregate approaching $3 million per season – without ruining their salary cap – is a measure of the “war chest” that they possessed at Arden St.

Today, as Dusty reaches the end of the seven-year deal he extracted after delivering incredible value to Richmond, North Melbourne’s war chest remains as intact as Trent Cotchin’s hair. The space they had then was spent, in parts, on journeymen – Jared Polec one fortunate beneficiary – or it simply went unspent and disappeared.

Consider the contract that Harley Reid would have commanded had North not beaten the Suns in the final round last season, or that Zak Butters would be given if he were willing to leave Port Adelaide in 2026 as a free agent and chose North. Reid can virtually name his price at West Coast.

f North have the capacity to pay the most inside the salary cap, any club would back up the truck for Reid and Butters.

St Kilda are another club who have the proverbial “war chest” of untold millions in salary-cap room and have let player agents know they’re willing to spend big.

But the notion that excessive salary cap room will deliver gun players to those clubs is misguided. There is no meaningful “war chest” for St Kilda or North when several other clubs with more pulling power also have millions to spend on either free agents or high-value recruits from rivals.

Richmond, Essendon, Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle either have plenty of space or will open it up soon as veterans shuffle off. Of the Melbourne clubs, Carlton seem the most restricted in salary cap.

The AFL’s new pay deal has created space everywhere.

Collingwood are said to have the capacity for an imminent $4 million in cap space, as the oldies exit. Richmond will be similar post-Dusty, Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, and the Cats, incredibly, had sufficient salary cap room to buy pick seven from the Suns in the groundbreaking Jack Bowes trade of 2022, despite winning the flag.

A weapon is less potent when the enemy has the same artillery – and even less useful if they have strategic/natural advantages that you don’t.

In assessing the Saints and North, Phil Davis observed that these clubs faced the hardest ask in persuading A-graders to join them. His solution was for those clubs to “pay overs and recruit B-graders” as mature players while getting A-graders in the draft, as the Saints did in the 2000s.

Most elite players are acquired via the draft and a comfortable majority stick with their first club for the most productive period of their careers. Jason Horne-Francis aside, North have a proud record of retention.

The rules of attraction for AFL players favour Geelong and the big four Melbourne clubs, the regional Cats having a unique country-and-coast appeal while Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond can pitch a packed MCG and the chance to play on Broadway. Davis said the big four are the “first port of call” for players outside Victoria who want to play in the heartland (or head home).

As historic clubs who play at the MCG, successful iterations of Hawthorn and Melbourne can compete with the Broadway clubs in the marketplace. The Demons’ list management since 2014 has been outstanding, considering they drafted guns when near the bottom, then paid a premium – which turned out to be a bargain – for Steven May and Jake Lever.

The Melbourne model – draft for quality first, trade for need later and keep drafting – is one that the Saints and North can aspire to follow, albeit it will be harder to land the equivalent of May and Lever.

St Kilda’s wish to play home games at the MCG is entirely justified when one considers that they a) have more latent support than the Dees, and b) that the Demons have two significant event games, the King’s Birthday (Collingwood) and Anzac eve (Richmond) at the ground that gave birth to the club.

The Saints are persisting with their southern strategy of prioritising players from other clubs who hail from their territory in the bayside suburbs or the deep south of the Mornington Peninsula. If all goes well, they would have a region much like Geelong’s surf coast/western district/Geelong unofficial zone (though the geographic appeal is less pronounced).

North, meanwhile, have to be innovative and to shoot the lights out at the draft, where they have had more early picks. Rather than using the war chest largely to overpay non-exceptional players, they should be allowed to purchase picks, as Geelong did with Bowes, by selling cap space, as if it were blocks of land, to the Suns, Giants, Swans and any other club that needs the room as a matter of urgency.

Finally, the death of the great Barry Davis, a champion of Essendon and North’s first premiership captain in the VFL, is a reminder of how romance can play a role in recruiting club-changing players.

Davis, Doug Wade and John Rantall all left their clubs, via free agency’s precursor of the 10-year rule (1973), enticed by a combination of cash and the possibility of becoming North’s first (VFL) premiership players under Ron Barassi.

If St Kilda’s lack of success has been a burden for generations of great players, why can’t the prospect of breaking footy’s most persistent drought – 58 years and counting – be part of their pitch?

Whatever North and the Saints sell, they have to offer more than money.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If St Kilda’s lack of success has been a burden for generations of great players, why can’t the prospect of breaking footy’s most persistent drought – 58 years and counting – be part of their pitch?

What a dumb thing for him to say. I’m sure it’s been part of the pitch forever but it has to be credible, and if we’re mediocre on field then why would someone buy it?

The Age​

Why some AFL clubs’ recruiting ‘war chest’ won’t deliver guns​

Jake Niall

By Jake Niall

May 26, 2024 — 5.00am

“I played with Josh Kelly who got some of the most ridiculous offers from North ... his dad played for North, and he was still able to say no.”
Former GWS captain Phil Davis, on SEN’s Whateley on Thursday.

In 2017, North Melbourne simultaneously made staggering long-term offers to Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly that would have made either the game’s best paid footballer at the time.

The immediate impact of those offers was that they enabled Martin to be close to first on the rich list for AFL players even at Richmond and for Kelly to secure a 10-year commitment from the Giants worth around $1 million a season in 2019.

That the Kangaroos could pay both players an aggregate approaching $3 million per season – without ruining their salary cap – is a measure of the “war chest” that they possessed at Arden St.

Today, as Dusty reaches the end of the seven-year deal he extracted after delivering incredible value to Richmond, North Melbourne’s war chest remains as intact as Trent Cotchin’s hair. The space they had then was spent, in parts, on journeymen – Jared Polec one fortunate beneficiary – or it simply went unspent and disappeared.

Consider the contract that Harley Reid would have commanded had North not beaten the Suns in the final round last season, or that Zak Butters would be given if he were willing to leave Port Adelaide in 2026 as a free agent and chose North. Reid can virtually name his price at West Coast.

f North have the capacity to pay the most inside the salary cap, any club would back up the truck for Reid and Butters.

St Kilda are another club who have the proverbial “war chest” of untold millions in salary-cap room and have let player agents know they’re willing to spend big.

But the notion that excessive salary cap room will deliver gun players to those clubs is misguided. There is no meaningful “war chest” for St Kilda or North when several other clubs with more pulling power also have millions to spend on either free agents or high-value recruits from rivals.

Richmond, Essendon, Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle either have plenty of space or will open it up soon as veterans shuffle off. Of the Melbourne clubs, Carlton seem the most restricted in salary cap.

The AFL’s new pay deal has created space everywhere.

Collingwood are said to have the capacity for an imminent $4 million in cap space, as the oldies exit. Richmond will be similar post-Dusty, Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, and the Cats, incredibly, had sufficient salary cap room to buy pick seven from the Suns in the groundbreaking Jack Bowes trade of 2022, despite winning the flag.

A weapon is less potent when the enemy has the same artillery – and even less useful if they have strategic/natural advantages that you don’t.

In assessing the Saints and North, Phil Davis observed that these clubs faced the hardest ask in persuading A-graders to join them. His solution was for those clubs to “pay overs and recruit B-graders” as mature players while getting A-graders in the draft, as the Saints did in the 2000s.

Most elite players are acquired via the draft and a comfortable majority stick with their first club for the most productive period of their careers. Jason Horne-Francis aside, North have a proud record of retention.

The rules of attraction for AFL players favour Geelong and the big four Melbourne clubs, the regional Cats having a unique country-and-coast appeal while Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond can pitch a packed MCG and the chance to play on Broadway. Davis said the big four are the “first port of call” for players outside Victoria who want to play in the heartland (or head home).

As historic clubs who play at the MCG, successful iterations of Hawthorn and Melbourne can compete with the Broadway clubs in the marketplace. The Demons’ list management since 2014 has been outstanding, considering they drafted guns when near the bottom, then paid a premium – which turned out to be a bargain – for Steven May and Jake Lever.

The Melbourne model – draft for quality first, trade for need later and keep drafting – is one that the Saints and North can aspire to follow, albeit it will be harder to land the equivalent of May and Lever.

St Kilda’s wish to play home games at the MCG is entirely justified when one considers that they a) have more latent support than the Dees, and b) that the Demons have two significant event games, the King’s Birthday (Collingwood) and Anzac eve (Richmond) at the ground that gave birth to the club.

The Saints are persisting with their southern strategy of prioritising players from other clubs who hail from their territory in the bayside suburbs or the deep south of the Mornington Peninsula. If all goes well, they would have a region much like Geelong’s surf coast/western district/Geelong unofficial zone (though the geographic appeal is less pronounced).

North, meanwhile, have to be innovative and to shoot the lights out at the draft, where they have had more early picks. Rather than using the war chest largely to overpay non-exceptional players, they should be allowed to purchase picks, as Geelong did with Bowes, by selling cap space, as if it were blocks of land, to the Suns, Giants, Swans and any other club that needs the room as a matter of urgency.

Finally, the death of the great Barry Davis, a champion of Essendon and North’s first premiership captain in the VFL, is a reminder of how romance can play a role in recruiting club-changing players.

Davis, Doug Wade and John Rantall all left their clubs, via free agency’s precursor of the 10-year rule (1973), enticed by a combination of cash and the possibility of becoming North’s first (VFL) premiership players under Ron Barassi.

Whatever North and the Saints sell, they have to offer more than money.

What's funny is that I was told that under Richo we had the cap close to maxed out paying players like Bruce, Billings and Lonie like they were Paddy Dangerfield and Dustin Martin. We didn't even have a war-chest. The board are just lucky that no-one else can be bothered challenging them because they've made the club such an embarrassment that corporate people don't want it staining their reputation.

They've pretty much stuffed up everything that they've done for 15 years. Apart from moving back to an oval that we already had and shouldn't have moved from and wasted a shit load of money building Seaford.

What's funny is that I was told that under Richo we had the cap close to maxed out paying players like Bruce, Billings and Lonie like they were Paddy Dangerfield and Dustin Martin. We didn't even have a war-chest. The board are just lucky that no-one else can be bothered challenging them because they've made the club such an embarrassment that corporate people don't want it staining their reputation.

They've pretty much stuffed up everything that they've done for 15 years. Apart from moving back to an oval that we already had and shouldn't have moved from and wasted a s**t load of money building Seaford.
Not sure who told you that but they were well off.

It was well reported by multiple journalists that during that time that we were overpaying players to hit the required minimum 95% of salary cap and banking that money for future years if we could attract a big name to the club.

They've pretty much stuffed up everything that they've done for 15 years. Apart from moving back to an oval that we already had and shouldn't have moved from and wasted a s**t load of money building Seaford.
You can't have a war chest if you can't attract players.

You either have to spend the money on B graders (which clubs do) or give it back to the AFL (which clubs won't do)

Thats why I suggested that the AFL get rid of priority picks for struggling clubs and allow them to trade unspent money for picks instead.

Free agency is a con in that its supposed to allow clubs to compete equally.

The only players that might sign on for big contracts with non competing clubs are GOPS or end of career types looking for a 3 year big money contract in return for a bashed up body that might last out a pre season.

Hot take, but I think the AFL should do more priority picks, not less.

I think the period where we saw the most effective bottom to top rebuilds was the period when if you didn't win 4 games in 2 years you got a priority picks. In this period all of Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Us were able to turn pretty terrible lists around quite quickly with one or two extra top 10 picks, which in turn meant that even when these team were losing, it was still exciting for the fans.

Now I don't necessarily think it should be a pick straight after a teams first, and maybe the parameters should chance a bit to stop direct and obvious tanking, but if the AFL recognises that small market clubs like St Kilda and North can only build a list through the draft, and they also recognise that building said list can't be achieved simply with the natural draft picks a team gets, then they should do something about it.

A defined and transparent system of priority picks that help long term struggling clubs would help said clubs build through the draft, and I don't believe it would be exploited by the big market clubs who will always be able to top up via trade and free agency

We should get more players dumped by other clubs and make them best 22
If delisted free agents can’t take you where you want to go then what will? Am I right?

Shhhhh don't give the rest of the league any ideas, they'd do this to us in a flash if they thought we'd accept.

Do you really want to support the North Melbourne Saints, or St Kilda Kangaroos with their great past heroes Robert Harvey and Wayne Carey?

They can shove their midfield, I can't stand that team. I'd rather be shipped off to Tassie.

StKilda is named after a ship , that is named after a shitty island far off the coast of the mainland and civilisation. Its only fitting.

They took Will Philips over Logan McDonald. Not a great decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back