List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

The darling club of the AFL. The great "bloods" culture is a myth.
Darling club or smart administrators understanding that NSW and QLD clubs developing their own talent benefits the game? The talent pool gets larger, clubs in non traditional markets are competitive and successful, support increases etc.

For the game to grow, we need to ensure these entitled attitudes that are synonymous with Victoria, don't creep back into vogue.

Luke Parker- #40, National 2010
Dane Rampe- #37, Rookie draft 2013
Matt Roberts- #34, National 2021
Tom McCartin-#33, National 2017
Lewis Melican- #52, Rookie 2015
Harry Cunningham-#93, Rookie 2012
Jake Lloyd- #16, Rookie 2013
Chad Warner- #39, National 2019
James Rowbottom-#25,National2018
Justin McInerney-#44, National 2018
Joel Amartey-#28, Rookie 2018
Will Hayward- #21, National 2016
Tom Papley-#14, Rookie 2016
Hayden McLean- Pre-season supp
Sam Wicks- Cat B rookie 2018
Traded in
Brodie Grundy
Taylor Adams
James Jordon

Some decent talent ID/Drafting there

Instead of bitching about a reserves team, port and crows should be hassling the AFL for us to have our own zones

Especially for indigenous players, who the AFL have said they have a crisis in numbers. Why shouldn’t we be able to develop them from a young age and give them a career in their home states surrounded by their support network, rather than get drafted to St Kilda, etc.

Traded in
Brodie Grundy
Taylor Adams
James Jordon

CEO - Tom Harley
Head of Football - Leon Cameron

Our bucktoothed hayseeds can’t compare

Darling club or smart administrators understanding that NSW and QLD clubs developing their own talent benefits the game? The talent pool gets larger, clubs in non traditional markets are competitive and successful, support increases etc.

For the game to grow, we need to ensure these entitled attitudes that are synonymous with Victoria, don't creep back into vogue.
How much unfairness are you prepared to swallow for the growth of the game nsw and qld?

Why on earth would you care more about player numbers in nsw and qld than our club having a fair chance of building the list needed to win a flag?

What ‘smart administrators’ are you talking about? The AFL’s? Do smart administrators of a sporting league alienate fans by unfairly advantaging certain teams?

And what does Victoria have to do with this? If anything, on this issue, parochial Vic attitudes might be aligned with our interests (altho it’s just as likely angry Vic clubs get a lollipop to keep them quiet while SA and WA get nothing).

How much unfairness are you prepared to swallow for the growth of the game nsw and qld?

Why on earth would you care more about player numbers in nsw and qld than our club having a fair chance of building the list needed to win a flag?

What ‘smart administrators’ are you talking about? The AFL’s? Do smart administrators of a sporting league alienate fans by unfairly advantaging certain teams?

And what does Victoria have to do with this? If anything, on this issue, parochial Vic attitudes might be aligned with our interests (altho it’s just as likely angry Vic clubs get a lollipop to keep them quiet while SA and WA get nothing)
I'm prepared to swallow a lot more 'unfairness' than Sydney's 2 premierships in over 40 years. Which are the only flags the northern clubs have won in the past 20 years. Is Collingwood playing 17 games in Melbourne fair? Is playing the GF at the G every year fair? Who promised you fair?

The sense of entitlement that puts 'our interests' above the future of the game is a far bigger threat to the game than northern clubs developing and getting access to their own talent.

Do you say that out of jealousy? as it's not a myth according to players who move to the Swans from other clubs.

Did it's bit to make Dawson the player he is.

Wish we'd take a leaf out of their culture book, no Gold Passes at the Swans (please note Nicks)
An average club with an average history whose recent success (in the last 20 years) has been built on handouts/advantages that clubs like us do not receive. I'm sure if I was getting to play with some of the best young kids in the draft I would say my club's culture is great to.
Granted, they are a better run club than we are but that's no sign of greatness given how ordinary our off-field team are.

Instead of bitching about a reserves team, port and crows should be hassling the AFL for us to have our own zones

Especially for indigenous players, who the AFL have said they have a crisis in numbers. Why shouldn’t we be able to develop them from a young age and give them a career in their home states surrounded by their support network, rather than get drafted to St Kilda, etc.
Would be interesting if every club had their own zone that they could automatically take say 2 players from each year, the rest go into the draft. Imagine how much grass roots development the clubs would put in then? Would be an almighty kerfuffle about where those zones lay, especially in a crowded Melbourne market and likely a lot of shenanigans with moving promising kids into zones but right now, there's not a whole lot of incentive for clubs to invest in junior development.

Would be interesting if every club had their own zone that they could automatically take say 2 players from each year, the rest go into the draft. Imagine how much grass roots development the clubs would put in then? Would be an almighty kerfuffle about where those zones lay, especially in a crowded Melbourne market and likely a lot of shenanigans with moving promising kids into zones but right now, there's not a whole lot of incentive for clubs to invest in junior development.
Exactly. And it’s what the league should be striving for rather than the plastic crassness of the draft.

I'm prepared to swallow a lot more 'unfairness' than Sydney's 2 premierships in over 40 years. Which are the only flags the northern clubs have won in the past 20 years. Is Collingwood playing 17 games in Melbourne fair? Is playing the GF at the G every year fair? Who promised you fair?

The sense of entitlement that puts 'our interests' above the future of the game is a far bigger threat to the game than northern clubs developing and getting access to their own talent.
6 grand finals in 20 years and 2 premierships wins. I'm amazed people are okay with the advantages they have been gifted.

I wouldn't mind my team being able to play in a GF every 3.5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is probably a correlation between the lack of desire to develop and the dying of the SANFL etc

We and the AFL in general pay lip service to the state leagues because the breeding ground skips that level and stays within the under 18s

In SA there would be kids tracked but the development is mostly left up to the local clubs ie Draper is a South kid and while he would have contact with his age group teams its mostly Souths and his own desire that sees him rated highly

tl;dr we dont care about development until we need to

6 grand finals in 20 years and 2 premierships wins. I'm amazed people are okay with the advantages they have been gifted.

Have you really stopped and thought about why they continue to do so?

Or is this just a life isnt fair rant?

I would like MY club to be as professional as Sydney are. Imagine having good solid football people at our club - not these toadying boot lickers who love the idea of imagining they are a big deal because they get to walk on the oval and you dont

Geelong have also played 6 GFs in that time, Hawthorn 5, Eagles and Pies 4...so what? Their academy has only contributed in a significant way to the most recent of those.

Sydney is a successful, well run club who bring in more new supporters to the game every year than probably anyone. To get all ruffled up because they're now consistently developing excellent junior footballers, feels very short sighted and pretty spiteful.

Until the next prospect in his draft year needs to be hyped
every draft has a "generational talent" these days too

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Geelong have also played 6 GFs in that time, Hawthorn 5, Eagles and Pies 4...so what? Their academy has only contributed in a significant way to the most recent of those.

Sydney is a successful, well run club who bring in more new supporters to the game every year than probably anyone. To get all ruffled up because they're now consistently developing excellent junior footballers, feels very short sighted and pretty spiteful.
Well, I'm offended about the last 20 years in which we have moved to be owned by the AFL and now watch our previous top-few-in-the-league membership numbers stagnate and our relative standing as a club diminish.

Off field and on field we have also never hit the highs we did in the late 90s, early naughties.

Twenty years of this. It's clearly not the AFL's priority either. Not even sure if its our boards' priority.

Then I think we know as much as each other!

Seems a no-brainer to give one a try. We all know RoB's limitations, plus there's no downsides anyway beyond development time. I wonder if we'll actually take Toby Murray or just leave him in the SANFL for a bit longer.
Prob abit idealistic thinking, but considering we arent getting much out of our backups rucks except Himmelberg and now he is injured and prob leaving end of season, id also love us to pick one up, chuck them in the deep end, just go be tall in the forward line; take all Tex’s ruck contests, clunk some marks and chop out ruck and if you fail its not much worse. Try bring them on quicker. When Thilthorpes back he can focus on CHF. Heard on the gettable before last Cal mentioned we were in the ruck market.

The more players we take in the MSD, the less flexibility we have at the end of the year (unless they are a disaster and we delist them in 5 months time.

I think Toby Murray is a must and I would probably stop at one.

I would take the maximum number and delist them after 6 months if they are shit

The more players we take in the MSD, the less flexibility we have at the end of the year (unless they are a disaster and we delist them in 5 months time.

I think Toby Murray is a must and I would probably stop at one.
Might depend on whether they've nominated a 6 month or 18 month deal.

We should have enough players coming off the list for list spots to not be as much of a squeeze this year.

I'd like us to pick up a small forward and/or small defender, preferably not already injured, and preferably on a six month deal.

Traded in
Brodie Grundy
Taylor Adams
James Jordon

This is why it's frustrating to hear fans whinge about their academy concessions.

Academy picks alone don't make you a great side. Otherwise Gold Coast and GWS would be powerhouses of the competition. They aren't.

Only three of their best 22 are first round academy picks. Pretty much every club in the league gave Sydney a huge leg up by not bidding on Gulden early.

They've had some shocking busts too. Like taking Gary Rohan (pick 6), Lewis Johnston (pick 12), Matt Ling (pick 14), Dylan Stephens (pick 5)

But their recruitment record taking the other picks they've had has been outstanding. They took Dawson and Papley with junk picks in the year they got Callum Mills. That's why they continue to be successful.

In contrast we took Paul Hunter one pick before Tom Papley. Huge difference in recruiting teams.

This is why it's frustrating to hear fans whinge about their academy concessions.

Academy picks alone don't make you a great side. Otherwise Gold Coast and GWS would be powerhouses of the competition. They aren't.

Only three of their best 22 are first round academy picks. Pretty much every club in the league gave Sydney a huge leg up by not bidding on Gulden early.

They've had some shocking busts too. Like taking Gary Rohan (pick 6), Lewis Johnston (pick 12), Matt Ling (pick 14), Dylan Stephens (pick 5)

But their recruitment record taking the other picks they've had has been outstanding. They took Dawson and Papley with junk picks in the year they got Callum Mills. That's why they continue to be successful.

In contrast we took Paul Hunter one pick before Tom Papley. Huge difference in recruiting teams.
And when they do have a bust, they usually get rid of them pretty quickly instead of wasting games and list spots on them.

Ok, what would happen if our club were exactly as well run as Sydney? And we developed excellent junior footballers just as well as they did? We’d still be behind because they get to keep all their best kids and ours would get drafted elsewhere!

It’s not spiteful to complain about that, it’s absolutely obvious. We care about competition, it’s not pro wrestling where the spectacle is all that matters.

The only way I can understand your point of view is if you care more about the probably marginal but definitely debatable and unprovable benefits to the overall quality-of-the-game that come from promising only nsw and qld clubs get to keep their best local kids, than you care our about our club having a fair chance of winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back