Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

YOUNG GUNS PUSH THEIR CASE

A host of AFL mid-season draft prospects made the most of another chance to impress recruiters in the second Young Guns game last Sunday.

The Young Guns scored a thumping 69-point win over Vic Country at Craigieburn, with some of the forwards proving standouts.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt spent significant time through the midfield and was the leading disposal winner on the ground for the Young Guns with 22 touches, along with six marks, five clearances and two goals.

The performance came after the 180cm Smartt — who was overlooked in last year’s draft — had booted three goals in the first Young Guns game against Vic Metro.

Eastern Ranges product Remy MacLean also did his draft prospects no harm as the athletic 196cm key forward finished with 4.2 from 12 disposals and six marks.

Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike kicked three goals from 10 disposals, while also having 20 hitouts sharing ruck duties with Iliro Smit.

Pike’s Geelong Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw and former Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray were among other Young Guns to draw praise for their performances.

WA FORWARD ON MID-SEASON RADAR

Clubs are keeping a close eye on West Australian key forward Jasper Scaife, who has quickly emerged as a mid-season draft prospect.

The 197cm West Perth product was this week named in a 34-man WAFL State squad ahead of their clash with South Australia at Optus Stadium on May 19.

That match looms as a final audition ahead of the mid-season draft on May 29.

Scaife, 20, if a former Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in his draft year in 2022.

He kicked 22 goals from 16 WAFL Reserves games last year, before cracking a senior WAFL debut in round 1 this season.

Scaife has gone on to average 11.8 disposals, 6.5 marks (1.8 contested) and has kicked eight goals from his first four senior WAFL matches to catch the attention of scouts.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a train-on player with Collingwood over pre-season, has also been included in the WAFL State squad after a strong start to the season with East Fremantle.

Teakle is also eligible to be selected in the mid-season draft.

Although I’d disagree with it, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the we only ended up picking 1 player in this draft. Have two picks there but only use the 2nd one of the right type of player is available. I don’t see 20+ players getting picked, it’s a bit light on for mature depth with upside and there is only half a dozen overagers who I think are worthy of a list spot.

Hard part is aswell we have 2 extra list spots that the afl. Might take off us end of season. Especially if players nominate 1.5 year deals

No matter who we get in, could there be an absolute non-negotiable that disposal must good to excellent, and nothing less, no matter what other attributes are tempting, to be fair, this should also apply to draft and free agent trades too.
There isn’t any point having great disposal if you can’t get near it, either through lack of smarts or nerve.

We need competitors.

YOUNG GUNS PUSH THEIR CASE

A host of AFL mid-season draft prospects made the most of another chance to impress recruiters in the second Young Guns game last Sunday.

The Young Guns scored a thumping 69-point win over Vic Country at Craigieburn, with some of the forwards proving standouts.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt spent significant time through the midfield and was the leading disposal winner on the ground for the Young Guns with 22 touches, along with six marks, five clearances and two goals.

The performance came after the 180cm Smartt — who was overlooked in last year’s draft — had booted three goals in the first Young Guns game against Vic Metro.

Eastern Ranges product Remy MacLean also did his draft prospects no harm as the athletic 196cm key forward finished with 4.2 from 12 disposals and six marks.

Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike kicked three goals from 10 disposals, while also having 20 hitouts sharing ruck duties with Iliro Smit.

Pike’s Geelong Falcons teammate Liam Kershaw and former Falcons graduate Tobyn Murray were among other Young Guns to draw praise for their performances.

WA FORWARD ON MID-SEASON RADAR

Clubs are keeping a close eye on West Australian key forward Jasper Scaife, who has quickly emerged as a mid-season draft prospect.

The 197cm West Perth product was this week named in a 34-man WAFL State squad ahead of their clash with South Australia at Optus Stadium on May 19.

That match looms as a final audition ahead of the mid-season draft on May 29.

Scaife, 20, if a former Fremantle Next Generation Academy member who was overlooked in his draft year in 2022.

He kicked 22 goals from 16 WAFL Reserves games last year, before cracking a senior WAFL debut in round 1 this season.

Scaife has gone on to average 11.8 disposals, 6.5 marks (1.8 contested) and has kicked eight goals from his first four senior WAFL matches to catch the attention of scouts.

Former Port Adelaide ruckman Brynn Teakle, who was a train-on player with Collingwood over pre-season, has also been included in the WAFL State squad after a strong start to the season with East Fremantle.

Teakle is also eligible to be selected in the mid-season draft.
Scaife is close to equaling North’s average total of contested marks himself. Strongly consider…

anyone got any thoughts on below, Just names im reading i got no idea to be honest

Max Hall - Box Hill
Frank Szekely - North Adelaide
Szekely would no doubt be Hungarian, so if all else fails he could swear at the opposition. Hungarian swearing is absolutely off the charts. (My ancestry is half Hungarian so I have heard my fair share of it). Opponents could find out a bit about their mothers' work history and what God's horse's old fella (!!!) might do to them.

Usually there is a bit of hype about the who will be number 1 picks at least a month out onwards, pretty quiet this year though - I’m guessing it’s a very, very weak draft.

Usually there is a bit of hype about the who will be number 1 picks at least a month out onwards, pretty quiet this year though - I’m guessing it’s a very, very weak draft.
Happy for it to be quiet, last time there was hype we picked Jacob Edwards.

Collier-Dawkins worth a look?
Nope, so slow and his decision making is puss. I was a fan of his in his draft year but I think VFL is his level.

I said earlier, in this thread and the draft board thread, that I really don't think there will be many taken in this draft. Not much talk about any players outside of Scaife and a few others. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we end up only taking one pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone got any thoughts on below, Just names im reading i got no idea to be honest

Max Hall - Box Hill
Frank Szekely - North Adelaide

Hall goes alright, he has been pretty consistent at VFL level for the last 18 months. Not sure if he has any stand out traits that would allow him to make the step up to AFL level.

Szekely has a pretty bloody good highlights reel as a small forward/wingman. He'd be best suited to a small forward at AFL level because of his speed but I'm not sure he has the defensive intensity to crack it at AFL level in that position.

I must admit I really like the look of Howes from South Adelaide, a lot.

He’s been added to the SA u18 squad as an overeager and will play the Allies 3 days before the MSD.

Given his league form and his size, he’s going to be a handful at the u18 champs.

The injury history might turn some off, but the stress fractures was as a 16 year old, he missed last year with a collarbone.

I think there’d be a lot of hype around him if he was kicking goals like he has in the VFL vs the SANFL and on our list at the minute.

He looks to have very good wheels and a great vertical, a rare combo for the MSD. You generally get the non AFL athletes at this stage.

He ticks just about every box imo and genuine KPF size at 196cm, late developer/hidden because of injury.

Howes is 100% the Harry Taylor/Isaac Smith/Leek Aleer 19 year old type that goes in the top 20 pre-MSD with another 6 months of exposed form.

Last edited:
I must admit I really like the look of Howes from South Adelaide a lot.

He’s been added to the SA u18 squad as an overeager and will play the Allies 3 days before the MSD.

The injury history might turn some off, but it was as a 16 year old, he missed last year with a collarbone.

I think there’d be a lot of hype around him if he was kicking goals like he has in the VFL vs the SANFL and on our list.

He looks to have very good wheels and a great vertical, a rare combo for the MSD. You generally get the non AFL athletes at this stage.
I'm more keen on him than Scaife, younger and playing in a better league and worse team. He's also kicked some excellent snaps from ground ball gets

I'm more keen on him than Scaife, younger and playing in a better league and worse team. He's also kicked some excellent snaps from ground ball gets

He doesn’t turn 19 until late in the year either.

So he’s actually younger than the likes of Duursma and Hardeman.

He’s only a few weeks older than Will Dawson.

He kicked 3 on Daniel Curtin a few weeks ago in the SANFL.

He kicked 3 against Glenelg on the weekend (last years premier) and 1.3 the week before.

He’s also taken 10 contested marks in his 5 senior league games for the season. 2 CM a game is elite, let alone for an 18 year old in a major state league.

The Allies aren’t the strongest this year, if he kicks a bag in the champs game, I’d be amazed (or dispirited) if he’s not North bound.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back