Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a bit Vic focused, and I've probably forgotten 3 or 4 players but here is my Top 30 as it stands. Obviously a fair bit to play out with the championships still to come. Big watches for me Travaglia, Langford, Lockwood, Berry and Gerryn. All of these players are playing solid footy and have the high level potential to push up draft rankings.

1. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
2. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh - 181cm
3. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 193cm
4. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
5. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham - 179cm - (Bris FS)
6. Leonardo Lombard - GC - 178cm (GCS A)
7. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
8. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 182cm
9. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
10. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo - 195cm
11. Isaac Kako - Calder - 175cm
12. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
13. Tyler Welsh - WWT - 191cm (Adel FS)
14. Jonty Faull - GWV - 194cm
15. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm
16. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 199cm
17. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 196cm

18. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
19. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
20. Ben Camporeale - Glenelg - 184cm - (Carl FS)
21. Noah Mraz - Dandenong - 198cm
22. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 180cm
23. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
24. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 198cm
25. Bo Allen - Peel - 191cm
26. Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo - 198cm
27. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 182cm
28. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
29. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong 190cm
30. Joe Berry - Murray 180cm

Next lot:

Cody Anderson - Eastern - 181cm
Nathaniel Sulzberger - Sandringham/Tas - 184cm
Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
Malakai Champion - Subiaco - 175cm
Zac McInnes - Geelong - 196cm
Lucas Camporeale - Glenelg - 182cm - (Carl FS)
Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo 185cm
Gabriel Stumpf - Northern - 196cm
Thomas Sims - Northern - 199cm

Just found out that one of my cousins, has twin grandsons, being Jack and Matt Whitlock. I haven't seen my cousin for goodness knows how long, since she got married and moved to a dairy farm near Rochester, so didn't know they even existed! Oh well.

Just found out that one of my cousins, has twin grandsons, being Jack and Matt Whitlock. I haven't seen my cousin for goodness knows how long, since she got married and moved to a dairy farm near Rochester, so didn't know they even existed! Oh well.
Pull some strings then man.

After a pre-season injury sidelined him for the first couple of months of the 2024 season, Sid Draper finally made his much awaited return over the weekend in a trial match for the SA Under-18 team against a combined Swans and Giants Academy squad. Drapers minutes were significantly limited here, playing only parts of the first two quarters, but he showed enough to get draft watchers excited for what he might produce when the Champs kick off in a couple of weeks.

It depends how bad Richmond are. I'm hoping Tigers can win some games because we need to win some games.

I'm honestly bracing myself for them to capitulate to their disastrous injury run and use it as an opportunity to yoink pick 1 away from us, a bit like West Coast last year. They look worse than us and might be leaning into it a bit now. The fact that their only win so far has come against the otherwise undefeated ladder leader is pretty funny though.

I'm honestly bracing myself for them to capitulate to their disastrous injury run and use it as an opportunity to yoink pick 1 away from us, a bit like West Coast last year. They look worse than us and might be leaning into it a bit now. The fact that their only win so far has come against the otherwise undefeated ladder leader is pretty funny though.
Apparently they had 26 fit players to select from this week and many on the injured list are first choice. When these players return, they should improve and be more competitive.

After a pre-season injury sidelined him for the first couple of months of the 2024 season, Sid Draper finally made his much awaited return over the weekend in a trial match for the SA Under-18 team against a combined Swans and Giants Academy squad. Drapers minutes were significantly limited here, playing only parts of the first two quarters, but he showed enough to get draft watchers excited for what he might produce when the Champs kick off in a couple of weeks.

Eligible to Collingwood father-son? His dad Arlo spent time on their list way back in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue here is, Richmond seem smart enough to tank properly to capitalise on finishing at the bottom of the ladder and propelling back upwards.
We on the other hand, haven’t fully comprehended how to bottom out correctly

Well, the tigs did have 37 year down the bottom with occasional ventures to 9th.

If we spend 40 years down there then it becomes an art form.

But all in all, get enough high picks, they will come good eventually.

if we get pick 2, is there any chance we split that into 2 picks in the 10s to get the whitlock brothers?

if we get pick 2, is there any chance we split that into 2 picks in the 10s to get the whitlock brothers?
Too early to say yet, we'll know more after the champs but IF we ended up with pick 2, I see three scenarios, one of which I feel will happen. 1/ If Sid or someone else tears it up at the champs then we take best available and that could be Sid, Finn {Finn is not playing in the champs because of injury,4-6 weeks out} or someone else.

2/ We trade down a little way from pick 2 to say where we think Luke Trainor will be or Harry O'Farrell and take that player + what ever else comes with that swap of picks, eg: another pick in say the top 12 or a future first.

3/ If one or two key forwards show what they are capable of then we do the same as number 2, but take one of them and the next best player available or take another key defender with the key forward.

The Whitlock brothers are nice players and players can elevate themselves to another level but it does seem very unlikely we pick the brothers up in the top 10, that is why the champs are important, it pitches the best youngsters in the country against each other in 4 games for each state to show there wares. Having said that the champs aren't the be all and end all, some players will be injured like Finn O'Sullivan and could rocket into the first round or like Bailey George easily a first rounder but because of injury went in the second round.

There are gems to find if you know your craft and our recruiter {Will} knows his to a tee, he's very good so the mistakes of years ago which people bring up quite a lot are not going to happen again. One last thing, all recruiters get some players wrong nearly every year, its just when the high picks come good that everyone says how good their recruiter is. Two of the very best have been Stephen Wells and Simon Dalrymple who have made some wonderful picks over the years but in amongst their picks are guys that for some reason just don't make it, even the best get it wrong, the difference is they limit the damage in that area.

I could live with taking a player the calibre of Colby McKercher if Richmond happen to out us this year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
After missing Harley we can’t afford to miss Smillie

God I hope Duursma ends up a star otherwise we won’t hear the end of it

After missing Harley we can’t afford to miss Smillie

God I hope Duursma ends up a star otherwise we won’t hear the end of it
Why? Did we have a choice between Harley and Zane and chose Zane?

Harley was never an option for us.

And Zane is an 18 year old with plenty of talent, playing his first season against men in the AFL.

FFS give him time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back