List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people love the idea of depth players but lets's have a look at what happened after these trades, which were in 2015.

2016: 14th
2017: 16th (Liam Sumner delisted)
2018: 18th (Jed Lamb delisted)
2019: 16th (Andrew Phillips traded, Jarrod Pickett retires due to injury)
2020: 11th
2021: 13th
2022: 9th
2023: 5th (Lachie Plowman retired)

So it took them another eight seasons to play finals, and in that year (2023), only two of those players they traded in were still on the list: Lachie Plowman, who played one game, and Caleb Marchbank, who has played 54 games in five a bit seasons, and is the only survivor.

And in fact, they only started improving once most of those depth players were gone.

But they smashed it out of the park in the draft that year, with three of the top 12 (Weitering, McKay and Curnow) - I reckon that had much more to do with their improvement than babysitting a few depth players for a few years.

I think the depth players we brought in still played a role though in protecting our young guns...and we did find a few longer term players from GWS in Marchbank and Kennedy who are still with us. Worth seeing if you can find a few bargains and use your salary cap space and opportunity for 1st team football to your advantage.

You guys have brought in mature depth though, it's just that jury is out whether they were the right ones and if any can contribute longer term.

Like you said though, our 2015 draft is the biggest reason for our rise, SOS absolutely nailed it. Star power and our key position stocks sorted.

What gets lost though is the work he did to even get the Mckay and Curnow picks...he doesn't get enough credit for that. He had to get creative and trade up the draft...he essentially turned Tom Bell and an early 20s pick into Curnow and Lachie Henderson (who we got Geelongs first round pick for) into Mckay. Amazing work.

Oh and from trading Bryce Gibbs we essentially got picks for De Koning, plus trading in Kennedy and half of McGovern.

Rawlings and Co need to get creative and of course nail the high draft picks.

Funnily enough SOS screwed up our high picks after that with Petrevski Seton, Fisher, Dow, O Brien and Stocker...but did enough in 2015 and through trades to set us on the right path.

Last edited:
I know people love the idea of depth players but lets's have a look at what happened after these trades, which were in 2015.

2016: 14th
2017: 16th (Liam Sumner delisted)
2018: 18th (Jed Lamb delisted)
2019: 16th (Andrew Phillips traded, Jarrod Pickett retires due to injury)
2020: 11th
2021: 13th
2022: 9th
2023: 5th (Lachie Plowman retired)

So it took them another eight seasons to play finals, and in that year (2023), only two of those players they traded in were still on the list: Lachie Plowman, who played one game, and Caleb Marchbank, who has played 54 games in five a bit seasons, and is the only survivor.

And in fact, they only started improving once most of those depth players were gone.

But they smashed it out of the park in the draft that year, with three of the top 12 (Weitering, McKay and Curnow) - I reckon that had much more to do with their improvement than babysitting a few depth players for a few years.
Good post. Interesting to apply the 2015 timeline for Weitering-McKay-Curnow to our own draft of Will Dawson-Goad last year - took Cartlon 7 years to see that trio take them to a final in 2023.

We've put more into mids, and last year presumably won't be the last of our KP drafting, but still and all it's a very long haul

For anyone who is blabbering that the club is in total shambles, if possible, i would like to pull up the posts of those same gibbering mass and what they said of the club list back in 2020.

If i may take a punt, they were calling for a huge purge of the list (did that exactly after the season), then they called for all those oldies to retire (all gone by the end of 2023).

So in other words, we've done everything that was needed by the 5th year.

If we use the melb, carlton time where they took 13 and 20 years respectively, we haven't even reached the halfway mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back