Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't understand the want or need to pick Mckercher so highly...surely we have enough mids?

Be bold North and pick the Wiz and or Reid or Curtin!!
I’m with you
I’d be more interested if he was a 186cm plus mid

But for mine wiz watto and a KPP is a no brainer

I personally don't understand the want or need to pick Mckercher so highly...surely we have enough mids?

1. Because he is top 3 in this draft. At the top end you should be taking best available. It would be like West Coast taking Graham Polak instead of Chris Judd because they already had Cousins and Kerr in their midfield. You don't over look top end elite talent.

Additionally, explosive, clean and zippy midfielders don't exactly grow on trees. The problem with our developing midfield is that outside of LDU and Wardlaw it is still one paced (Powell, Phillips ect). McKercher gives you that line breaking ability and he givesus flexibility because he has the tools to play more outside (wing ect)

I personally don't understand the want or need to pick Mckercher so highly...

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Because he is top 3 in this draft. At the top end you should be taking best available. It would be like West Coast taking Graham Polak instead of Chris Judd because they already had Cousins and Kerr in their midfield. You don't over look top end elite talent.

Additionally, explosive, clean and zippy midfielders don't exactly grow on trees. The problem with our developing midfield is that outside of LDU and Wardlaw it is still one paced (Powell, Phillips ect). McKercher gives you that line breaking ability and he givesus flexibility because he has the tools to play more outside (wing ect)

He’s a pleasure to watch. Got absolute confidence that he’ll end up the best player of the draft pool. We are idiots if we pass on Mckercher for a 170cm small forward.

He’s a pleasure to watch. Got absolute confidence that he’ll end up the best player of the draft pool. We are idiots if we pass on Mckercher for a 170cm small forward.
Dumb take

Height for a small forward is irrelevant

If you are concerned about height you should be about a small mid in todays game

Speed from the contest and repeat sprints are incredibly valuable in today's game. WE haven't had them forever and we've been above mid table.

McKercher is also an absolute certainty to be the best first-year player next year.

A healthy Wardlaw is probably his only competition for the RS.

Sanders will be right up there, particularly if he goes to a club where he's getting game time.

Wardlaw is magnetic to eyes though.

If he averages 20+ disposals per game next year, he's a lock given all the advanced stats he accumulates along the way.

Brayden George kicking 30+ goals as a medium forward is another possibility.

I don't have any real ITK regarding draft order outside of we love Reid & Clarkson especially loves Watson.

If I were to guess, we end up with Watson regardless (Pick 3 or 5), and it's between Reid or Mckercher (Pick 1 or 2).

Sanders will be right up there, particularly if he goes to a club where he's getting game time.

Wardlaw is magnetic to eyes though.

If he averages 20+ disposals per game next year, he's a lock given all the advanced stats he accumulates along the way.

Brayden George kicking 30+ goals as a medium forward is another possibility.
If the club that gets Harley Reid plays him as a half back, he could well do what Daicos and Sheezel have done over the past two seasons.

"The best pure midfielder in the draft is McKercher, whose inside-outside balance and ball use is a standout. He swoops on loose balls and uses his speed to find space, and has a beautiful left foot entering the forward 50. The Launceston gun has suitors inside the top five."

If the club that gets Harley Reid plays him as a half back, he could well do what Daicos and Sheezel have done over the past two seasons.

Maybe.

He doesn't have anywhere near the endurance of Daicos or Sheezel though. Both of them had AFL tanks entering the system which is why they get so much of the ball.

I can't see him averaging 25+ disposals even in that role.

I think even at half back, Reid has your typical 17-19 disposal per game rookie reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe.

He doesn't have anywhere near the endurance of Daicos or Sheezel though.

I think even at half back, Reid has your typical 17-19 disposal per game rookie reason.

The media do love to favor the #1 Draft Pick though...

A poll of preferred players chosen with picks 3 and 4 would be interesting to see. Waiting for the compensation to be confirmed might be wise though.

Ignorant though I am, I'd like us to get McKercher and Curtin based on highlight packages and informed opinions on this thread.

Maybe.

He doesn't have anywhere near the endurance of Daicos or Sheezel though. Both of them had AFL tanks entering the system which is why they get so much of the ball.

Sheez was never known for his tank before he came into the draft nor ever play HBF throughout his junior years? Reid on the hand, has played majority of his juniors has a rebounding HB and if we used him as the out let like Sheez, can't see why he coudn't avg 25+

Yep heard the same thing about Tsitas from his board last year as well before we draft Sheez...but we have a chance to draft the smartest, craftest and most dynamic forward whose been top 3-5 all year until his 'he's only 170cm' excuse comes into.

Reid and Watson are super exceptional talents not just this year but two years now and we have the chance to take the two most dynamic players in the draft.

I'm sure we'll be in the hunt for another McKercher next year in Jagga Smith who is another bottom ager that impressed at U18 champs...

Sheez was never known for his tank before he came into the draft nor ever play HBF throughout his junior years? Reid on the hand, has played majority of his juniors has a rebounding HB and if we used him as the out let like Sheez, can't see why he coudn't avg 25+

Yep heard the same thing about Tsitas from his board last year as well before we draft Sheez...but we have a chance to draft the smartest, craftest and most dynamic forward whose been top 3-5 all year until his 'he's only 170cm' excuse comes into.

Reid and Watson are super exceptional talents not just this year but two years now and we have the chance to take the two most dynamic players in the draft.

I'm sure we'll be in the hunt for another McKercher next year in Jagga Smith who is another bottom ager that impressed at U18 champs...

Yes he was.

He and Olly Hollands went at it in the Yo-Yo tests in the Nab League pre-season testing.

Sheezel ran a 1040 YoYo which is even higher than McKercher and Sanders.

Sheez didn't test at the combine, but Hollands went on to run a 5:54 2km.

Has always been known for his massive engine in that half forward role.

Why are you so concerned about McKerchers height? It is his explosiveness and two way running which is the best in this draft and something we lack in our mids/wings.
Pointing out others concerned about a small forwards height being hypocritical

I’d be more concerned about small mids height over height of a small forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back