Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Did we have a choice between Harley and Zane and chose Zane?

Harley was never an option for us.

And Zane is an 18 year old with plenty of talent, playing his first season against men in the AFL.

FFS give him time.
For winning a meaningless round 23 last year

And getting picks 2 and 3
Instead of pick 1 and 2

Now if history repeats and we beat tigers later in the year it could likely cost us smillie

After missing Harley we can’t afford to miss Smillie

God I hope Duursma ends up a star otherwise we won’t hear the end of it
Hear it from who?

We want him to be a gun because that helps us, not so we don't get teased.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Instead of pick 1 and 2

Now if history repeats and we beat tigers later in the year it could likely cost us smillie
But the Eagles beat Footscray a few weeks earlier than that, to put us on the bottom of the ladder.

They werent tanking either.

Clubs play to win...not for draft picks.

Duursma will kick bags, it will just take time, as it does for forwards.

I haven't watched anything yet but I love the profile of Trainor. This description alone gets excited...

"a capable one-on-one defender, great interceptor and brilliant ball user out of the backline... the right footer is more willing to take the game on and get up the ground, averaging four inside 50s per outing."

The fact that we need to play our gun mid (Sheezel) down back is worrying. We need a 3rd tall who can set up play.

If Comben is a forward long term, as Clarko said today, then I like the fit of Logue, WDawson and Trainor, next to an Archer/Goater type and some half backs (Fisher, Hardeman, Bergman, George etc.).

Hear it from who?

We want him to be a gun because that helps us, not so we don't get teased.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
That goes without saying

The point is we had a chance to orchestrate one outcome we got the other

Now a similar situation will present itself later in the year

Still working his way back into game shape, Draper had a much stronger outing in the second state trial match for the U18's. He played in shorter bursts and spent plenty of time on the bench, but ran out the full game and was influential, although he noticeably tired as the game went on.

After missing Harley we can’t afford to miss Smillie

God I hope Duursma ends up a star otherwise we won’t hear the end of it

You realise we never had the pick for Reid. We opted not to be extorted for all our picks for pick one to secure pick 1.

It’s got nothing to do with Duursma

Are you wishing we tanked or gave up McKercher, uursma, Will Dawson and friends?

Which do you wish we did?

That goes without saying

The point is we had a chance to orchestrate one outcome we got the other

Now a similar situation will present itself later in the year
This is so tiresome. How exactly - like actually spell out the specifics - does a club "orchestrate one outcome"?

By sitting in the coaches box with glum faces like the Melbourne brains trust did when they unexpectedly looked like winning a game? By someone taking on the role of Chris Connolly and making a speech about tanking as "staying the course"?

Do you seriously think that no-one is going to notice if we start tossing games?

This is so tiresome. How exactly - like actually spell out the specifics - does a club "orchestrate one outcome"?

By sitting in the coaches box with glum faces like the Melbourne brains trust did when they unexpectedly looked like winning a game? By someone taking on the role of Chris Connolly and making a speech about tanking as "staying the course"?

Do you seriously think that no-one is going to notice if we start tossing games?

They don’t want to use the word tanking because it’s actually illegal and culturally cancerous. But these ‘tankers’ as they should announce themselves just don’t get it.

Tiresome is the word.

Considering we have only won one in the last 30 odd games no I don’t think people would notice

It is tiresome but unfortunately this is only the beginning. This guy looks like he's gonna become one of the best players in the comp and the media will just keep going on and on about it for many years to come

Instead of pick 1 and 2

We wouldn't have been given the free agency compo pick 2 if we had pick 1. The secret herbs and spices formula would have knocked that pick back to end of first round.

Let me preface this post by saying, I think this draft is lacking the top end talent of some of the more recent drafts (2023, 2021), but I think it has decent/even depth out beyond pick 50. What it really lacks is that genuine game breaking midfielder who can push forward and have an impact. I also think it's a decent draft for talls, there are more tall prospects in this draft compared to the last 3 or 4 years.

Anyone who follows my postings, knows I've been a big fan of Josh Smillie and called him as a potential pick 1 in this years draft as early as last year, but, there are a few concerns I have about in his game after reviewing some games over the last week or so. Going to highlight some of them here along with the big positives in his game. I also have concerns about Ashcroft, Smith, O'Sullivan ect, but I'll discuss them at a later stage. Just wanted to focus on Smillie as he is heavily favoured to be pick 1 at this stage.

First thing is first, I've compared him to the likes of Tom Green and Patty Cripps, but after watching his game more closely I don't think these comparisons are fair. Other than being tall and big bodied, I think that's where a lot of the comparisons end. Green & Cripps are truly elite inside/contested midfielders, they are physical, they play with defensive intensity and when they get the footy they are able to get their hands free and fire off elite disposal especially by hand. As juniors they both displayed all of these traits that make them elite footballers at AFL level. Some of those traits, at this stage, I simply don't see in Smillie on a consistent basis. I think comparing him to the likes of Green and Cripps sets an unrealistic expectation of what he'll be like at AFL level.

Concerns:
- Defensive running and defensive intensity (Big issue): Simply put he coasts, far worse than Powell or LDU. His accountability for his direct opponent is quite poor and I think this may end up being a big issue at AFL level if he doesn't improve it. It's not a tank issue either, as his endurance is pretty well developed for a kid his size.

- Contested possession: While he gets his fair share of clearances, many of these seem to be as a first receiver rather than genuine contested clearances. He isn't overly prolific getting ground ball contested possessions around the stoppages, which the likes of Green excel at. Often he is hanging around the outside of the pack, waiting for the ball to come to him rather than getting scrapping at the coalface. This could well be a coaching/stoppage structure, but I don't think that's the case, as it's been consistent at all levels he has played at this year.

- Ability to break tackles: he is still growing into his body, so it might develop as he gets stronger, but at this stage he gets brought to ground far too easily by players much smaller than him. For an inside mid, he also struggles to get his hands free to release the footy.

- Handballing when under pressure is also very inconsistent. Far to often handballs at his team mates feet or just fires handballs out to wherever just to get rid of the footy.

That's enough criticism of the kid, to go with those negatives there are some seriously good positives.

Positives:

- Flexibility, he can genuinely play on every line on the ground. His natural footy IQ allows him to stay involved whether he plays through he midfield, across half back or in the forward line. He isn't a big contested marker, but his leading patterns when playing forward are really impressive.

- Accumulation on the outside and around the ground: He finds the footy all around the ground, and finds it with ease. Short little leads, to provide an outlet from the back half are a real feature in his game. Allows him to stay involved and use his long kicking to break defensive zones. We need more midfielders doing that.

- Speed from stoppages: When he gets clean possession from the stoppages, he has a quick first few steps that allows him to break away and kick long into the forward line. He isn't overly quick, but he isn't one paced like many of the big bodied midfielders in the AFL.

- Movement around stoppages: Very rarely does he stand flat footed around the stoppages. He is always on the move, trying his best to read the taps so that he is on the move when he takes possession. When it works, it results in very clean ball movement from the stoppages.

Curious to see if anyone else has noticed this traits in his game.

Looking forward to watching him more closely at the championships, to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering we have only won one in the last 30 odd games no I don’t think people would notice
Joe Biden Shut Up GIF by Election 2020

Let me preface this post by saying, I think this draft is lacking the top end talent of some of the more recent drafts (2023, 2021), but I think it has decent/even depth out beyond pick 50. What it really lacks is that genuine game breaking midfielder who can push forward and have an impact. I also think it's a decent draft for talls, there are more tall prospects in this draft compared to the last 3 or 4 years.

Anyone who follows my postings, knows I've been a big fan of Josh Smillie and called him as a potential pick 1 in this years draft as early as last year, but, there are a few concerns I have about in his game after reviewing some games over the last week or so. Going to highlight some of them here along with the big positives in his game. I also have concerns about Ashcroft, Smith, O'Sullivan ect, but I'll discuss them at a later stage. Just wanted to focus on Smillie as he is heavily favoured to be pick 1 at this stage.

First thing is first, I've compared him to the likes of Tom Green and Patty Cripps, but after watching his game more closely I don't think these comparisons are fair. Other than being tall and big bodied, I think that's where a lot of the comparisons end. Green & Cripps are truly elite inside/contested midfielders, they are physical, they play with defensive intensity and when they get the footy they are able to get their hands free and fire off elite disposal especially by hand. As juniors they both displayed all of these traits that make them elite footballers at AFL level. Some of those traits, at this stage, I simply don't see in Smillie on a consistent basis. I think comparing him to the likes of Green and Cripps sets an unrealistic expectation of what he'll be like at AFL level.

Concerns:
- Defensive running and defensive intensity (Big issue): Simply put he coasts, far worse than Powell or LDU. His accountability for his direct opponent is quite poor and I think this may end up being a big issue at AFL level if he doesn't improve it. It's not a tank issue either, as his endurance is pretty well developed for a kid his size.

- Contested possession: While he gets his fair share of clearances, many of these seem to be as a first receiver rather than genuine contested clearances. He isn't overly prolific getting ground ball contested possessions around the stoppages, which the likes of Green excel at. Often he is hanging around the outside of the pack, waiting for the ball to come to him rather than getting scrapping at the coalface. This could well be a coaching/stoppage structure, but I don't think that's the case, as it's been consistent at all levels he has played at this year.

- Ability to break tackles: he is still growing into his body, so it might develop as he gets stronger, but at this stage he gets brought to ground far too easily by players much smaller than him. For an inside mid, he also struggles to get his hands free to release the footy.

- Handballing when under pressure is also very inconsistent. Far to often handballs at his team mates feet or just fires handballs out to wherever just to get rid of the footy.

That's enough criticism of the kid, to go with those negatives there are some seriously good positives.

Positives:

- Flexibility, he can genuinely play on every line on the ground. His natural footy IQ allows him to stay involved whether he plays through he midfield, across half back or in the forward line. He isn't a big contested marker, but his leading patterns when playing forward are really impressive.

- Accumulation on the outside and around the ground: He finds the footy all around the ground, and finds it with ease. Short little leads, to provide an outlet from the back half are a real feature in his game. Allows him to stay involved and use his long kicking to break defensive zones. We need more midfielders doing that.

- Speed from stoppages: When he gets clean possession from the stoppages, he has a quick first few steps that allows him to break away and kick long into the forward line. He isn't overly quick, but he isn't one paced like many of the big bodied midfielders in the AFL.

- Movement around stoppages: Very rarely does he stand flat footed around the stoppages. He is always on the move, trying his best to read the taps so that he is on the move when he takes possession. When it works, it results in very clean ball movement from the stoppages.

Looking forward to watching him more closely at the championships, to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me.
Thanks for this info rf08. Like many on here, I know little about the prospective draftees. Your comments about defensive running and intensity is a real concern. With the make-up of our midfield, almost a black-ball.

I have just a couple of questions:

1)Taking his size out the equation, what player does he play like in your eyes?

2)if we are looking at weaknesses in our midfield, we need to plug holes with players who are defensively capable, tenacious, hard runners and smart. Wardlaw can’t be expected to bare the majority of the defensive duties inside. I’m thinking an Anthony Stevens type is what is needed.

Who in your mind would be the best fit for such a player?

Concerns:

Positives:

Excellent post.

I watched the footage of his last two games and am not as excited as at first glance. I think the media (and us) have got swept up in 'Harley fever'.

Agree with the deficiencies you outlined and the other concern is his foot skills, which look to be sub par - especially if he's outside more often than not.

As a priority going forward, every new recruit/draftee should need to have exquisite foot skills to play Clarkos run-n-gun type game plan. As we seen yesterday it doesn't matter how much we're in a game as soon as we inevitably turn the ball over in the corridor we're cooked. It's absolute momentum killers and we we're right in that game yesterday until we gave it back to them on a platter a few times in a row.

Concerns:

Positives:

Agree with all of this. Something about his game doesn't pass the eye test for me. Plays more like a slower Elijah Hollands than Bont/Cripps/Green/Reid whoever else he gets compared too.

Concerns:

Positives:

Ta for the observations mate. Beyond the National Champs I hope he gets a stint with a VFL side like Harley did so we can see how he copes playing against bigger bodied opponents as well.

A look at the early favourite for pick 1 in 2025, manchild Dyson Sharp. Playing off half back with stints through the middle, even at only 16 years of age Dyson is already more than capable of matching it physically against his opponents from the U20 team. Strong over the footy, excellent balance and composure, nice mark and excellent disposal... plenty to be excited about for the future.

I personally think Finn O'Sullivan is the best player in this draft, but can understand how people might arrive at some others, particularly Smillie.

Big bodied midfielders seem to be the fad at the moment and the club has said we're looking for them, so I'm expecting Smillie to be at the top of our draft board right now.

Concerns:

Positives:

So considering all of that, what do we do with pick 1?

Instead of pick 1 and 2

Do you think the afl would have given us pick 2 though for McKay, plus those end of firsts?

I couldn’t see it at the time. They tried to give us more top talent to fill the development holes around the field. But I reckon we would have ended up with 1 and pick 15-20 for McKay and probably some diluted freo players

Thanks for this info rf08. Like many on here, I know little about the prospective draftees. Your comments about defensive running and intensity is a real concern. With the make-up of our midfield, almost a black-ball.

I have just a couple of questions:

1)Taking his size out the equation, what player does he play like in your eyes?

2)if we are looking at weaknesses in our midfield, we need to plug holes with players who are defensively capable, tenacious, hard runners and smart. Wardlaw can’t be expected to bare the majority of the defensive duties inside. I’m thinking an Anthony Stevens type is what is needed.

Who in your mind would be the best fit for such a player?

1) Maybe a more outside/less contested version of Bontempelli. At this stage he doesn't have the kicking skill or overhead marking that Bont does.

2) At the top end of the draft, I'm not sure there is a player that fits that profile. O'Sullivan would probably fit the bill best with his courage, and the balance between his offensive and defensive game but I don't think he quite has that manic defensive side to his game. In saying that he is probably the most accountable out of all the top end midfielders imo. If you are talking footy smarts, composure and class then O'Sullivan is the one.

If you look down the draft order for more tenacious and physical midfielders, then you have are probably looking at Sam Lalor, Cooper Hynes, and Cody Anderson.

Lalor is a real physical midfielder that has that competitive nature. He is one who has all of the above mentioned attributes, but at this stage he lacks the tank to cover the ground well.

Cooper Hynes is one I'm really starting to take notice of, he is 190cm, hard at the footy but is also capable of going forward and kicking bags. Probably needs to up his tackling numbers (avg 3.7) if he is really going to fit the bill. Just going off the eye test, but he might lack a little bit of athleticism compared to others in the pool, but I could be wrong there.

Cody Anderson is probably the most aggressive tackler I've seen come through juniors, his pressure is manic, and he wins stacks of contested ball. Avg's 6.6 tackles per game and seems to cover the ground well. His kicking and decision making though is what's holding him back.

Excellent post.

I watched the footage of his last two games and am not as excited as at first glance. I think the media (and us) have got swept up in 'Harley fever'.

Agree with the deficiencies you outlined and the other concern is his foot skills, which look to be sub par - especially if he's outside more often than not.

As a priority going forward, every new recruit/draftee should need to have exquisite foot skills to play Clarkos run-n-gun type game plan. As we seen yesterday it doesn't matter how much we're in a game as soon as we inevitably turn the ball over in the corridor we're cooked. It's absolute momentum killers and we we're right in that game yesterday until we gave it back to them on a platter a few times in a row.

Harley, like JHF, are next level prospects because of their size and explosiveness. I don't think there is a player in this draft that has the top end potential of those types of players. I also don't see any prospects with the high level accumulation/damage of the likes of Daicos/Sheezel. All of this years top 10-15 have more obvious deficiencies in their game compared to previous drafts.

I personally think Finn O'Sullivan is the best player in this draft, but can understand how people might arrive at some others, particularly Smillie.

Big bodied midfielders seem to be the fad at the moment and the club has said we're looking for them, so I'm expecting Smillie to be at the top of our draft board right now.

A fad at the moment? Martin, Fyfe, Bont, Petracca, Cripps, Oliver...been that way for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back