Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kobe Ryan had 21 possessions, 11 tackles and 3 goals today for West Adelaide.

Certainly putting his name forward.

I’d happily give either him or D’Aloia a go. Both of them have that willingness to tackle and run defensively.

Kobe probably has more upside because of his height and skill, but D’Aloia had the more mature body.

Geez it’d be nice if we unearthed a decent role player from the state leagues for once.

Blight had a decent day against Swan Districts. He really crashes pack when he contests to spoil and does all the team 1%er’s really well. Didn’t get to see much contested marking, as most of his marks came from cheapies across the ground. His kicking is really neat and he seems pretty composed at this level.

When he is defending on the lead his first few steps look quite slow, but then he seems to make ground. Overall though his straight line speed is pretty good considering he is a big lump of a kid.

Biggest concern is agility, seems to have a big turning circle, pretty similar to McKay actually.

Hard to say if I see a genuine AFL player there, but I can see why he is getting interest. Not too many sub 23 year olds have a big mature body like his and he isn’t afraid to throw it around.
Is he capable of forcing himself ahead of Logue, Dawson and Corr to partner Comben?

Or is he basically going to be sitting in the 2's for the next 18 months? Also baring in mind the other Dawson will be in the frame next season.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Is he capable of forcing himself ahead of Logue, Dawson and Corr to partner Comben?

Or is he basically going to be sitting in the 2's for the next 18 months? Also baring in mind the other Dawson will be in the frame next season.

Hard to say really. Who knows how much development he has left in him. I can’t see him being a better option than Comben or Logue, but the two of them do have pretty extensive injury history.

The faster Corr is replaced, the better and Kal Dawson isn’t suited to those big gorilla key forwards. W.Dawson is probably 2 years away from maturing physically so Blight could be that stop gap in the mean time.

If he could be a big bodied FB who can play on the monsters it would free up Logue to play a more loose role and would allow Comben to intercept aerially.

Jasper Scaife had a bit of a stinker yesterday. West Perth destroyed West Coast, and he only kicked 1 goal from 5 disposals and 0 marks.

He started the season like a house on fire, but has really tapered off the last few weeks.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in the WA Vs SA game.

Jasper Scaife had a bit of a stinker yesterday. West Perth destroyed West Coast, and he only kicked 1 goal from 5 disposals and 0 marks.

He started the season like a house on fire, but has really tapered off the last few weeks.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes in the WA Vs SA game.
Scaife and Howes clearly thrown down the gauntlet in the "tank to evade north" battle.

Kobe Ryan had 21 possessions, 11 tackles and 3 goals today for West Adelaide.

Certainly putting his name forward.

That means nothing because its vfl, our main whole is at the backline, get someone at fb.

That means nothing because its vfl, our main whole is at the backline, get someone at fb.
He plays in the SANFL and our main hole is in the forward line.

We’ve got Logue, Chom and two Dawsons who are all capable of playing good AFL footy over the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we rated Blight would we not have just taken him last year instead of Pink and/or Biggie? Or has he massively improved in the last few months?
I think he has come on a fair bit. Couldn't crack it fora regular league game with Claremont but has grabbed a spot at Peel. Supposedly Freo encouraged him to play with Peel.

He plays in the SANFL and our main hole is in the forward line.

We’ve got Logue, Chom and two Dawsons who are all capable of playing good AFL footy over the next couple of years.

Logue wont play in 2024, comben is like 8 game as a defender, dawson is still 3 weeks out with ankle for 6 weeks.

We need to address defense first. As for fwd, vfl players wont do anything, see sellers. We need to throw big bag at a midtier key fwd who has some experience but not enough chance or a jarrad waite type opportunity.

If we rated Blight would we not have just taken him last year instead of Pink and/or Biggie? Or has he massively improved in the last few months?
Couldn’t get a regular crack at senior footy. Had a massive pre season and put on 3-4kg and got really conditioned. Hasn’t looked back. Most WAFL watchers can’t believe his progression in the last 12 months.

Surely Will Elliot. From Preston is on the radar..fwd ruck 203 cm.

Hmmmm could’ve taken him as an overager last year. He is skinny as, and will probably be a 2-3 year prospect. His games for Preston don’t exactly jump off the page.

Logue wont play in 2024, comben is like 8 game as a defender, dawson is still 3 weeks out with ankle for 6 weeks.

We need to address defense first. As for fwd, vfl players wont do anything, see sellers. We need to throw big bag at a midtier key fwd who has some experience but not enough chance or a jarrad waite type opportunity

Logue will definitely play in 2024.

Comben is a great 6 game-key defender. By the end of the season, he'll have had a great 20 games as a key defender.

Yes, K. Dawson is still 3 weeks away from returning. So what? That's still before the mid-season draft. And Will Dawson is developing nicely as an extremely young key back who has grown 20cm in 2 years. In 2 years time he could be a beast.

We also have Biggy, Pink, and Corr as tall defensive options.

It is highly unlikely that anyone we draft in the mid-season draft will be an absolute game-changer. If we get a really solid role player out of it that is a great result. Drafting another tall defender at this stage would be stupidity of the highest order.

If we draft someone and they sit in the twos that’s not such a bad thing. I remember when we drafted Dawson and he was in the twos for a while but what it meant was Goater didn’t have to play a key back and it freed him up to play his natural game higher up the ground. Could draft a blight or a Howes and it takes the load off a Biggie or Moose, let’s Biggie play as a third tall defender or get the second or third best defender in the foward line for Moose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back