Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Not necessarily. You take the player that best fits your needs.

What is the point for us of taking a ready-to-go fringe player over a CHF prospect that needs some more development time?

Well that's my point exactly, we need another key forward and scaife is available at 20 years of age but i heard on here that we might take payne who is a halfback at 18 years of age.

I'm as guilty as any, but I love that we just think that the Footy & Recruiting Departments are dumb as dog s^&t and if they don't draft what us BF poster think appears to be an obvious need we will cue the outrage.

Kallan Dawson is far from a great pick at this point, most thought it was a mistake at the time, and time will tell whether it was the right call or not.

But the same posters claiming he is a win (what has he played, 5 games in 2.5 years) are hanging a Scaife choice out to dry based on a quiet couple of weeks in the WAFL.

All of our selections are about list build at the moment, so I am going to cut them some slack with whoever they pick at this point, particularly as Thursfield appears to be putting some pieces to the jigsaw together given his drafting last year.

Maybe we see Payne as the ultra competitive, defense first Byrnes-Jones type forward that we don't have on the list at the moment. Pressure forwards don't have to be indigenous.

He might be an extrovert and exactly what we need amongst a quiet group. He might be that super competitive Jackson Archer type we need to compliment the class of the Duursma, Fords & Georges.

I'm not saying I am right, but there's a lot of faux rage already about selections - I don't see anyone out there that's banging down the door and will walk in and be Souva's foil for the last part of this year anyway.

And given we already have two projects in the twos with Sellers & Maley, let's just calm the farm if we don't take a "ready made" Tom Hawkins in a mid season draft that I might remind us all is for players who were overlooked from 100s of picks over the past few years!

Last edited:
Well that's my point exactly, we need another key forward and scaife is available at 20 years of age but i heard on here that we might take payne who is a halfback at 18 years of age.
I'd personally like to see us take whoever has the best upside out of Scaife or Howes. Both 196cm key forward prospects. Given Howes is two years younger I'd lean that way.

We need another medium defender or medium forward like we need a hole in the head.

Did they say that Skaife had kicked 9 goals from 6 games? Does exactly scream AFL level.

That said, Howes doesn't exactly sound like he's setting the world on fire either.

As much as we're screaming out for another key forward, i suspect these options aren't great. No point wasting a pick on trying to address a need when the options available probably aren't going to be good enough to fill it.

Bit on the fence with Payne. If he was any good, he would have been picked in last year's draft but 18 clubs ignored him. Disposal sounds like the glaring issue which is something we should be avoiding at all costs. IT's just adding to a problem that already exists.

I think the other glaring deficiency in our list is a competent, ready made, back up ruckman. Maybe Teakle would be a wise choice here while Goad develops as he's at least shown he can compete at the level?

No idea what to do outside of that. Didn't mind the tape of Szekely or whatever his name is.

Perhaps we could look at who other clubs might be taking and pick the best of those given that Brady and Co's judgement seems to be way off the mark.

Did they say that Skaife had kicked 9 goals from 6 games? Does exactly scream AFL level.

That said, Howes doesn't exactly sound like he's setting the world on fire either.

As much as we're screaming out for another key forward, i suspect these options aren't great. No point wasting a pick on trying to address a need when the options available probably aren't going to be good enough to fill it.

Bit on the fence with Payne. If he was any good, he would have been picked in last year's draft but 18 clubs ignored him. Disposal sounds like the glaring issue which is something we should be avoiding at all costs. IT's just adding to a problem that already exists.

I think the other glaring deficiency in our list is a competent, ready made, back up ruckman. Maybe Teakle would be a wise choice here while Goad develops as he's at least shown he can compete at the level?

No idea what to do outside of that. Didn't mind the tape of Szekely or whatever his name is.

Perhaps we could look at who other clubs might be taking and pick the best of those given that Brady and Co's judgement seems to be way off the mark.

Payne has changed roles and shown a much more diverse skillset, he is the perfect mid season draftee as a top ager who takes his non-drafting as a chance to improve. He has speed and aggression and for me that is enough for now. We can replace poorer skilled players in time but for now we need players who can just compete with some speed.

Payne has changed roles and shown a much more diverse skillset, he is the perfect mid season draftee as a top ager who takes his non-drafting as a chance to improve. He has speed and aggression and for me that is enough for now. We can replace poorer skilled players in time but for now we need players who can just compete with some speed.
That’s my view too. One of the biggest problems we have is a lack of a defensive forward. We have too many mediums that largely do their own thing (I think Curtis is getting better on this front). The fact he has some toe helps too. There is a clear list need.

I can put up with some average foot skills as long as he pressures like a mad man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we are going in a different direction.

Who might the Kangaroos target in Wednesday's mid-season draft?

Who might the Kangaroos target in Wednesday's mid-season draft?​

More than 120 prospects are in the mix for this week's mid-season draft
By NMFC Media, with Callum Twomey - AFL.com.au
1 hr ago
mid-season-draft.jpg

(l-r): Trent Bianco, Kyle Dunkley and Brynn Teakle. Pictures: AFL Photos

Former Magpie Trent Bianco, ex-Demon Kyle Dunkley, delisted Power big man Brynn Teakle and ex-Kangaroo Flynn Perez are among the more than 120 players to be included in the first batch of prospects for this week's mid-season draft.

The 2024 Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be staged on Wednesday, May 29, as clubs continue to scour the country for options to bring in as mid-year list additions.
North Melbourne is yet to confirm its list vacancies but may have up to two, meaning the club could potentially select two players.
The Kangaroos will have the No.1 pick in the draft if they confirm a list vacancy by Tuesday night's deadline.
https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/1565422/your-guide-to-the-2024-afl-mid-season-rookie-draft
The League this month supplied clubs with the first group of players who have nominated for the mid-season intake, with 127 players so far approved to be selected. Players have until later this week to nominate.
Amongst the group are a smattering of players who are looking for another opportunity at the top level, including Bianco, who is now playing with Footscray's VFL side.

Other notable names are Dunkley, who is in Brisbane with older brother Josh in the Lions' VFL side, and Teakle, who was cut by the Power at the end of last season and trained with Collingwood over summer but was overlooked for a pre-season supplemental selection period spot.
Teakle, a versatile tall and ruck option, has been touted as a potential option having been taken as a mid-season pick in 2022 by the Power. Dunkley, too, was a mid-season selection back in 2019, the first year the MSD returned after a long absence.

Delisted Magpie Arlo Draper, former Suns recruit Jez McLennan and Osca Riccardi, the son of former Cat Peter, are all also hoping to win spots back in the AFL and are putting through their nominations.
Of the players hoping for first-time chances on AFL lists, Peel Thunder key defender Jacob Blight, who has attracted strong interest in the lead-up to the draft, is among the first group of nominees, as is Geelong Falcons ruckman Joe Pike, who shapes as one of the leading ruck options available.
West Adelaide defender Will Patton is also in the group, as is Kai Windsor, the older brother of Melbourne youngster Caleb. Windsor is playing at Casey Demons, Melbourne's VFL affiliate.

Last edited:
From draft board

Amongst those nominating longer than minimum terms...

18 months
Felix Flockhart
Max Hall
Jack Hutchinson
Remy McLean
Will McLachlan
Milan Murdock
Toby Murray
Geordie Payne
Jasper Scaife
Oscar Smartt
Iliro Smit