List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones would actually be an option to play as the number one ruck if all our other rucks are injured though.

Its good to have as long as he develops into a KPF option eventually too.

I don't think Treacy leading the ruck will ever be an option unless we're beyond stacked with KPF depth. Given other clubs will come for our KPF depth if they look AFL standard I can't see that happening - at least not for long anyway.
TBH I don't think the 4cm is really moving the posts here, Treacy would be fine if we had 3 ruckmen go down (however unlikely that is)

Plus if Jones is any good as a KPF then he falls under your banner of other clubs coming for KPF Depth, then you rinse/repeat and develop another player anyway

TBH I don't think the 4cm is really moving the posts here, Treacy would be fine if we had 3 ruckmen go down (however unlikely that is)

Plus if Jones is any good as a KPF then he falls under your banner of other clubs coming for KPF Depth, then you rinse/repeat and develop another player anyway
100% Jones could fall under that banner if he performs consistently well at WAFL level and/or plays a few alright games in the AFL.

I disagree that Treacy as a number one ruck is an option even in exceptional circumstances. The cms don't bother me nearly as much as taking a best 22 KPF away for the entire game.

He must have played ok Saturday again peel?
I thought he was pretty slick and got to a lot of contests.neat skills, quick thinker, good pace and decision-making, goal kicker. Not sure what that adds up to at Afl level but he was one of the most impressive performers for Souths imo

Before the National Draft this board was going crazy over Shaun Mannagh. He's played one and half games for Geelong and hasn't really looked AFL standard yet.

Reality is that every single one of these players was overlooked roughly 6-7 weeks of footy (and the pre season) ago by every single AFL club. It isn't that much footy.

Besides I don't believe depth is an issue. The only areas we lack depth is where our best 22 is poor. Adding depth players doesn't magically produce A Graders. If we recruit genuine best 22 small forwards in the next 12-24 months I'm more than comfortable the depth will suddenly look like it's there.
Whilst true - Sam Clohesy was also available in this MSD last year and any club could have had him.
He now looks at home at AFL level for the suns

Whilst true - Sam Clohesy was also available in this MSD last year and any club could have had him.
He now looks at home at AFL level for the suns
Which is kind of the point of the second paragraph of my post tbh.

Every year we see good mature agers go in the National Draft or early in the Rookie Draft that could've gone in the MSD.

For many players 6-7 weeks of football isn't enough to change a club's mind. A whole season is.

I'm not necessarily saying don't draft anyone this week but I don't think it's a necessity.

Our list is okay - we've just got to add some quality small forwards. My view is the best ways of doing that are trade, free agency and the National Draft. I'd be happy enough to keep the rest of our list together outside of the necessary list changes to take our four top 30-odd draft selections tbh and not using a MSD selection might make that a little easier.

Cal twomey said in gettable freo are looking at matt Ling
Interesting. Running half back , left footer. Super injury prone though from memory. I don’t mind it as we are a bit thin in this position outside of Wagner Clarke and Worner (Walker is more of lock down defender)

Interesting. Running half back , left footer. Super injury prone though from memory. I don’t mind it as we are a bit thin in this position outside of Wagner Clarke and Worner (Walker is more of lock down defender)

Darcy Craven from EP, if nominated for the MSD, could be one smokey Freo might be interested in as a small forward....lovely left foot and has come on in leaps n bounds for EP since coming out of their colts system this year.

Last edited:
Carr, a 191cm, 78kg forward, made his debut for the Bulldogs earlier this season and has impressed in his three games as a mobile half-forward averaging 13 disposals and five marks.

Big boi. Hope we can get him as a father son at the end of the year.
Carr hasn’t impressed me that much. No real significant AFL standout traits. He was tagging on the weekend against Peel. My opinion only that I would doubt we have interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal twomey said in gettable freo are looking at matt Ling

My notes on Ling.

Was talked up as a great kick during his under 18s time, but that was because he kicked flat long passes and I remember thinking at the time that the commentators were turning to each other to marvel at the kick and ignoring that it didn't hit a target.

But when I said that we really just need someone who can run a bit, break the line and hoof it long to a contest, he is that player.

Will Schofield did a great summary on draft picks. .
How most players don't make it and you could tell after their first 2 of training.
If they couldn't follow coaches instructions or put in the hard work it would be over before it had begun.

Will Schofield did a great summary on draft picks. .
How most players don't make it and you could tell after their first 2 of training.
If they couldn't follow coaches instructions or put in the hard work it would be over before it had begun.
Yep. Essentially they need to have the 'robot' part down pat then bring their individual talents/personality to the club.

The AFL’s national talent manager, Michael Ablett, believes Norwood midfielder Matt Ling will be selected in the 2024 Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Drafted at Pick 14 by the Swans in the 2017 national draft, Ling only recorded four senior games for the red and white.

However, Ablett is confident that the 25-year-old midfielder should get another chance at AFL level in Wednesday night’s mid-season draft as Fremantle looks to strengthen their midfield heading into the second half of the season.

Ablett loves Ling’s kicking skills and feels he would be a good point of difference for the Dockers.

0 seconds of 10 secondsVolume 0%

x close

“He’s a really nice fit for them,” Ablett said on SEN WA Breakfast.

“It’s his accuracy, he is pinpoint, (his) precision. He is versatile, he started down back but has now pushed up into the midfield with Norwood.

“The added foot skills and polish into their midfield, he (could) come off half-back and give them some real genuine speed.”

With Fremantle currently sitting ninth on the AFL ladder and just two points out of the eight, getting their mid-season pick right could go a long way in determining whether their fans will see finals football in 2024.

Ablett suggested that Ling can fill a potentially decisive gap in an otherwise strong Fremantle midfield unit.

“When I came and watched Sydney play Freo a couple of weeks ago, I haven’t seen a team pull apart a side by foot like Sydney did to Freo that night,” Ablett added.

“So therefore I look at the importance of kicking these days, Matt Ling would be great.

“He gives you some speed, and I’m not taking anything away from those guys who are currently in the Fremantle midfield, but he would be a nice injection of pace and we all know left footers over recent times have a history of being very good kicks of the footy.”

With comparisons to Sydney star Errol Gulden, Ling could be a shrewd pick for Freo on Wednesday night.

He is averaging 19.7 disposals, 3.3 rebound 50s and 2.2 inside 50s for the Redlegs across six games this season.

The Dockers currently hold Pick 10 in this year’s mid-season draft.

A little more recent

I clicked on that video expecting to see a bunch of highlights of this supposed left boot and speed. It was mostly marks and tackles.

Geelong are usually all over their local players. Makes me a little wary that they've seemingly had no interest over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back