Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

The investment in Sanders looks like being a very astute recruitment move indeed. He is such a calm, confident and intelligent player even at this young age. His vision by hand and foot is not quite Libba standard yet but it's not too far behind.
Sam is the man

West looks primed for a huge year. I didn't mind Gags. I'd play him he has pace and we just looked so much quicker across the ground as a unit than I've seen us in a long time. Naughton also looks to be in ripping nick he was moving well. Buku looked good

Biggest positive about a lot of positives re Sanders was how much he was on top of the ground at the end of the game.
He seems to have the ability to read the opponents before he takes possession so that he manoeuvres his body to get in the best position to dispose of the ball

Nothing would make me more pleased than a JUH & Naughton pairing that produced 50+ goals each. Those two could carry us to top 4 between them.
How bloody good did Marra look, was just everywhere. Whilst Naughty just being Naughty and bobbing up with 4.

These two are a special pairing, let’s get Darcy in there ASAP for Lobb and I honestly think those 3 can win us the flag. English needs Darcy too for a proper chop out. Lobb was okay but he’s just no Darcy even at this stage of their careers

Was looking messy early seemed liked we hadn’t improved and were doing the same thing - winning all the stats except the ones that mattered most and having three talls and Weightman all going for the same balls and not working hard enough to spread.

English being belted by Reeves and around the ground and just looking slow. Small forwards also eating us alive.

Plenty of players looked rusty but some good signs. West, Naughton, Khamis and Coffield looked good. As Bont, Libba and Trelor. Jamarra looked in first gear but had a strut about him that made him look dangerous. Lobb was good and bad but at least involved.

2nd half was better but was the same two Bont and Libba - moving into second gear that got us going. Not all bad at all because others lifted also.

Harmes who just looks slow started to look much more dangerous. Bramble started to run and looked much better. Lobb went into Ruck and we lifted. Daniel made us look more organised and played well on the wing and Richards started to take the game on.

Sanders looked a star and a relatively slow start just got better and better.

Ultimately and easy win against a team that should be an easy win.

Ins

Macrae
Dale
JOD or Keath

Maybe:
  • Scott (played very well again)
  • Poulter or Baker
  • The big one - Darcy. If not for some great risk work Lobb would have been under way more pressure - just think he is too good to
Leave out and reckon opposition would be more worried about Darcy than Lobb. I would pick Darcy even though Lobb doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Out

• Harmes - I really like him but Macrae is a star and someone has to go and Sanders was better and I think CD offers more
  • VDM - will add a taller KPD instead
  • Bramble - did some really good things but Dale better

Maybe
  • McNeil - probably stays and did some good things but didn’t really grab it and has Scott breathing down his neck. Weightman will also want to play better.
  • Duryea - we want him because he is solid and plays well against smalls but is he quick enough / Is JJ better (was also beaten today)
— playing a defense like this looks better

Coffield Jones JJ
Red JOD/Keath Dale

With Khamis rotating. But expect Doc will play and so be either Coffield or Khamis and it’s 50/50

- Lobb.
Harmes will definitely play we need mids who are good defensively

How bloody good did Marra look, was just everywhere. Whilst Naughty just being Naughty and bobbing up with 4.

These two are a special pairing, let’s get Darcy in there ASAP for Lobb and I honestly think those 3 can win us the flag. English needs Darcy too for a proper chop out. Lobb was okay but he’s just no Darcy even at this stage of their careers

Lobb plays for now because he has more Klms under his belt and has a more mature body BUT he needs to keep performing as does English because Darcy looms large

Yes it’s challenging being positive
It's obviously positive that we won. As we did last preseason against North, and looked completely underprepared come rounds 1 and 2. Doesn't mean it will happen again but in my mind it's difficult to learn much or prepare well from a scratch match when you're in cruise control against an opposition who is not putting up much of a fight for the majority of the game.

I don't understand why we scheduled 2 games against the same bottom 4 side, particularly after last year's debacle.

It's obviously positive that we won. As we did last preseason against North, and looked completely underprepared come rounds 1 and 2. Doesn't mean it will happen again but in my mind it's difficult to learn much or prepare well from a scratch match when you're in cruise control against an opposition who is not putting up much of a fight for the majority of the game.

I don't understand why we scheduled 2 games against the same bottom 4 side, particularly after last year's debacle.
We had no choice in the matter. Bains explained that it was the result of other teams playing a week earlier and other teams travel requirements etc that resulted in our clubs being the only ones left.
I don’t disagree our preparation is not ideal especially as the AFL in their wisdom scheduled us to play a side that will have already played a game. W hopefully we buck the trend of teams losing after byes like we did last year

Lobb plays for now because he has more Klms under his belt and has a more mature body BUT he needs to keep performing as does English because Darcy looms large
So good for Darcy that he gets the time to develop in the 2’s. Lobb was an astute trade - let’s us build Darcy physically without getting ripped apart too young at AFl level. He’s another baby giraffe in many ways. Amazing, awesome, can totally play at AFl grade but he needs time to grow into himself. If he plays 10-12 games this year it would be perfect imo.

Why is Bramble the new whipping boy already? He was fine if not decent last week or am I missing something?
He still has a long way to go before going past Gardy or VDM but has put in a strong pre-season so there is hope. Has probably caught up with Baker already and Scott is now a distant shadow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall a positive night. After a horrible second quarter, we regrouped and ran the game out well (the side looks fit).
Sanders continues to amaze me. What a pickup. Our depth looks better: Khmis, Coffield, Brambles, etc. West looks like he's taking the next step.

The big negative: inaccuracy in front of the goal in the first half. Yes, I know we balanced the ledger in the second half, and the wind conditions were challenging. But the poor technique shown in the first half was inexcusable (exemplified by McNeill: fringe small forwards have to be accurate).

I hope the footy department starts treating his important aspect of skills with greater focus. Why wasn't the right goal-kicking consultant in place towards the start of the pre-season? (I love him but I'm not sure Johnno is the right person).

My minds been made up, Darcy just has to be prioritised round 1 over Lobb. Lobb will play a part and play plenty of games this year, but whilst Darcy is fit and fresh he just plays, when/if he tires or gets injured Lobb can come in, we know he’s a seasoned player and Darcy isn’t and likely can’t run out a season yet. But right now? He’s first choice and Lobb is officially his back up IMO

Your a harsh marker Fossie
Not enough threats to cancel memberships, mediocre effort

unimpressed judge judy GIF by RealityTVGIFs

So we took 24 into the dress rehearsal for round 1 with Caleb and Williams playing limited time.
Rnd 1 will see only 23 named, with the expectation that Dale slots in if fully fit along with JOD.
Barring any injuries, this leaves us 3 from last night game to miss. For me VDM , Duryea and Gallagher will make way.
Lobb has done enough to show he’s resumed at the level he’s finished off last year. Whilst Darcy is hot on his heals, he’ll need to bide his time until there’s an injury to a tall. The form of McNeill and West as small forwards along with Weightman surely can’t have us going taller.
Bramble is the one that really has me struggling. He reminds me of Baker the way he uses both speed and ball use. If he plays back is there room for JJ? Can he play wing, if so does that leave the bigger bodied Williams out or does he miss out completely? His pace does excite me and maybe he just waits in the wings for JJ.
The other that looks unlucky to miss us Scott but with the small forwards doing so well to date I just can’t lot him in.
Oh to be a fly on the wall come selection time. It sure looks like we have more depth this year and plenty of cover other than down back for talls (not sure many clubs do).

West the biggest positive from yesterday’s game.

Small forwards role has been a massive struggle for us across the last few seasons with none of West, McNeil or Jones stepping up and making it their own. If we can have 1 or 2 players creating issues at ground level inside 50 each week, we’re a far better team.

That’s back to back weeks that West has played the role really well. Not only that, he looks like he’s enjoying it. No reason he can’t kick 30+ this season.

My minds been made up, Darcy just has to be prioritised round 1 over Lobb. Lobb will play a part and play plenty of games this year, but whilst Darcy is fit and fresh he just plays, when/if he tires or gets injured Lobb can come in, we know he’s a seasoned player and Darcy isn’t and likely can’t run out a season yet. But right now? He’s first choice and Lobb is officially his back up IMO
It’s a tough one , clearly both can’t play unless English is missing.
But I am a convert on Lobb and believe he gets the nod right now.

No argument Darcy could be a freak and in the end they have to play him.

He is still a stick figure, not sure where those photos came from a few weeks ago that had him looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger 😅

Seems like the rising star this year is gonna be between Riley Sanders and Harley Reid. Might aswell call it the Riley/Reid Cup...

I’m going to go and google to see if this trademark exists, be back online later

West the biggest positive from yesterday’s game.

Small forwards role has been a massive struggle for us across the last few seasons with none of West, McNeil or Jones stepping up and making it their own. If we can have 1 or 2 players creating issues at ground level inside 50 each week, we’re a far better team.

That’s back to back weeks that West has played the role really well. Not only that, he looks like he’s enjoying it. No reason he can’t kick 30+ this season.

The long apprenticeship he has done has been a good thing.
He seems to now understand the role he is playing.
It’s not an easy position to play in , but he’s got a bit of Picken about him ?

Who doesn’t want another Picko 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back